Lindemans Kriek | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by Quaffer on 07-28-2001

Ratings: 1,265 |  Reviews: 532

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%

Live Review. Poured from the 750 ML bottle that I bought several years ago into a clean, clear glass. The bottle spent most of that time in my basement and then the past few weeks in my fridge. LF13HKR stamped on the label, for what that it's worth. I do not recall what I paid for it. My best recollection is that I bought it at Rozi's in Lakewood all that time ago.

A Translucent cherry red body under a brief pinkish head that is short lived. Within 60 seconds the head went down to a single layer. Rather typical I think. Bottom of the bottle was much darker with sediment disturbed floating about. That helps the look in my book. 3.5

S Pleasant black cherry, wheat and minimal alcohol smell. No hops detected. Not acidic like some others that I have smelled. 4.0

T Taste carries right from the smell. Black Cherry tartness, nice unfiltered wheat and very little alcohol and no perceived hops. A lot of sweetness and while that is welcome it is also part of the style. Good tasting beer. 4.0

M Kind of "flat" which is typical of the style. The sugary black cherry sweetness thickens up the feel. I think that the feel is really typical of the style. 3.0

D/O Drinkability is very high due in part to the relatively low ABV and the black cherry goodness that keeps you coming back for more. Overall this is a fine Kriek Lambic. 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This pours a rosy-red color topped by a strawberry-tinged foam. Makes me think of … Big Red.
There’s a sweetly cherry-like aroma. More candied maraschino than anything fresh. The flavor is just to the wrong side of cloying—think cough drops, cough syrup, and a smooth, sickly sweet artificial cherry flavor. It’s a fun one to share but not something I’d seek out to drink all for myself alone. (That said, I’d definitely mix it—a plug of the kreik in a pint of chocolate stout works wonders.)

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a utopia snifter. Purchased in Wakefield ri.

A- pours a bright red, cool-aid like body with a beautiful red frothy head that exhibits medium retention and leaves blotchy lacing.

S- light Maraschino cherries, a little bit of funk with an acidic vinegar note in the background.

T- huge tart cherry and apple notes. Cider like. Like a very acidic cherry infused cider. Not much that resembles beer, but not in a bad way. Minimal aftertaste

M- highly carbonated, crisp, and refreshing. Light body. Super super easy drinker, it really quenched my thirst.

I'll have to admit, this is only the second kriek lambic I've tried, so I really have nothing to compare it to (except Sam Adams barrel room kriek, and this one blows it out of the water).

I really liked the overall presentation and flavors of this beer. It looked nice, the taste was somewhat one dimensional but I enjoyed it, and it was super refreshing and drinkable. My rating may be higher than I would have rated it in the future, but for now the rating stands. I really enjoyed it.

4.24/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a flute at cellar temperature.

L – Deep cherry-red color with a head that nearly takes up the entire glass at first pour and fades down to a still huge, 4-finger frothy, rocky, pink head. Great retention and awesome patchy lacing. It’s a tiny, tiny bit hazy in terms of clarity with a good amount of bubbles.

S – Black cherries, the vinegary twang of Acetobacter, and the musty barnyard aromas of Brettanomyces. All of the elements you could ask for in a lambic.

T – The taste pretty much consists of sweet and sour black cherries. There’s some musty funk that appears near the finish from the Brett. It’s not sour in a mouth-puckering way by any means but the tartness is there.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied with great carbonation, a sticky and mouth-coating feel, and a tart, funky, and dry finish. Sour cherry and some barnyard funk flavors linger nicely.

O – This is a tasty fruit lambic. I know it doesn’t have a terrific score here, but it is a great example of the style. Maybe it doesn’t have all the complexity that some of the better lambics have, but I don’t think that warrants a sub-4 score. Maybe people are expecting something a bit sourer. If you like cherries and tartness, you will like this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%