Lindemans Kriek | Brouwerij Lindemans

Also known as Kriek Foudroyante

Added by Quaffer on 07-28-2001

Ratings: 1,265 |  Reviews: 532
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle served in a small goblet.

Appearance: Dark ruby color with a cute pink head.

Smell: Primary aroma is a blended cherry smell - fresh black cherries and also a syrupy cherry extract aroma. Mostly pleasant, but a slightly medicine aroma makes it a little strange.

Taste: Similar to the nose with two types of cherry flavor. The sweetness is a bit overpowering and makes it difficult to make out the flavors.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with high levels of carbonation.

Overall: A decent desert beer with tons of cherry sweetness. Not terribly complex or interesting, but not a bad beer.

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

Long ago I thought this beer (with only 3,5% alcohol) was great. I felt some sourness and fruitiness I really liked. And the low degree of alcohol brings that it is permitted to drink it on all days of the week ;)

Then I got to learn the real geuzes and fruit-lambiks, like Oude Kriek, and saw their very greatness.

Now returning to this stuff I'm quite perplex that I ever liked it so much.

L: one finger foam; old cherry colour;
S: nice, but not so much to mention; cherry ofcourse, a bit of almond perhaps (or is it whishful thinking?), but most of all sweeteners and sugar.
T: it looks like a nice cassis-sprite-bitterlemon, with some cherry, but then somewhat more fresher.
M: ok.
O: I have decided to let it score higher 'overall' than it deserves. In his class of sweetened lambiks this straight forward one is one of the best. The high score is only because of this: best product in this type of artificial sweetened beers.

Compared to real beer it deserves less. But that was not my point of fixation.

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%

Review from notes - bottle reads 3.5% ABV

Two fingers of frothy bubblegum pink head rests on top of a gorgeous ruby red body, displaying fantastic retention and leaving generous amounts of lace down the sides of the glass. Heavily carbonated with a touch of haze. I can't even believe I'm looking at a beer.

The cherry scent is split in two with ripe and sweet black cherries being on aspect and syrupy sweet cherry candy being the other. A touch of bread in the mix and a light layer of dust on top of it all. Straightforward and intriguing.

The sourness is light and unobtrusive, tickling the sides of the mouth and moving to the tip of the tongue. Cherry Blasters is the best way to describe the cherry flavour for me, just a touch less sweet. There's a soft earthy bitterness in the finish with a kiss of hay. As the beer warms, the more this raw and natural profile comes out.

The feel is crisp and spritzy. Light bodied and ridiculously refreshing. At 3.5%, this is a perfect summer session.

The first time I had this a year or two back, I thought it was nothing more than fruit juice. I'm glad I revisited this. It's much more complex than I remember. The sourness is well integrated and not in the least prominent. A good intro into the style.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purplish red colour that is topped by a pink coloured, pinky sized head that is a bubbly one that has good retention, taking about a minute to reduce to a thin lacing.

A large sour cherry presence, not unlike a fruity wine in smell and there is an hint of apples and a sugary sweetness to it.

Matching the nose there is a lot of sour cherries in the taste & a general sweetness too it that helps to balance against the sour cherries. There is also some wheat in the taste and the aftertaste is a kind of sour red grapes one.

Medium bodied & very smooth with a pleasant tang to it. There is a lot of carbonation present & the drink is quite refreshing.

Similar to a few of the fruit beers I have drank in the past but this one seems a little better. The fact that the beer is so fruity leads me to believe that it would get rather sickening after more than a couple bottles.

1001 Beers Blog:

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

Live Review. Poured into my mini snifter.

Bottle was purchased for my fiancée, and I decided to snatch a little from her and review it. Thanks honey :)

A: Pours a deep purplish red with a tiny pink head that receded quickly and left very little lacing. Tiniest of rings of bubbles cap the beer.

S: Overly sweet cherry, a tiny hint of funk and acidity. Not a lot here, but not really all that bad.

T: Sweet cherry off the bat, but as it warms the sweetness lessened it's grip on the palate. Funk is light, earthy, damp hay, and a slight mustiness. Acidity is very light and towards the finish ALMOST turns sour. What malt that does peak it's hea through is dry, almost cracker like.

M: Thin, very lightly carbonated, slick on the palate.

O: This bottle is by far the least sweet I've tried. It's also the most noticeably funky bottle I've tried as well. Being the one beer my fiancée will drink, it's in the house a lot, and I'm grateful for that fact. As a fruit beer, it's average. If you get a bottle like this one, it's not overly sweet, slightly funky and acidic. If you get a bottle like most I've had, it's overly sweet almost to the point of tasting fake (with it being artificially sweetened, that should be expected though), with very little acidity and funk.

The regular bottles I'd rate more along the lines of 3/3/2.5/3/3. This one gets a little bit higher for being better. I hope every bottle I buy for her is like this one. I won't hold my breath.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a dark, clear cherry red with a fizzy pink head of average size. Reasonable retention, sinking to a patchy cap of foam and leaving spotty lacing.

S: An acetic note, green apple tartness, and sour cherries are almost overwhelmed by loads of black cherry, cream soda, and cola smells. Musty, barnyard yeast aromas lurk beneath it all.

T: Juicy, sweet black cherries and cream soda, cut through momentarily by bitter green apple and cider vinegar on the swallow before subsisting to sour and mostly sweet cherries and just a hint of wheaty malt.

M: Light-bodied with lively fizz to cut the sweetness and slightly sticky mouthfeel. Drinks as easily as soda due to the understated sourness, which is a bit disappointing but present enough to balance the ample sweetness.

D: As I said, it's a bit disappointing for my first kriek having come to it through a gueuze - I was expecting more sourness and complexity in the flavour profile. That said, it's still delicious, refreshing, and worth trying with a chocolate dessert, or just by itself before the season turns.

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Lindemans Kriek Lambic brewed with cherries. 3.5%

A- A cherry coke appearance, but far more appetizing. Laces extremely well and holds a solid head for the duration of the drink. The head has a strawberry milkshake look to it.

S- Smells like a mix between a fruity wine and a cherry coke. Slight amounts of malt to the nose, but far more fruitiness to it.

T- Cherry and more cherry with a bit of malt to round it out. The fruity sweetness and malt are almost mixed to perfection. They blend very seamlessly and enhance each other quite well.

M- Medium full mouthfeel. Surprisingly full for such a low ABV drink. Carbonation seemed a tad excessive though.

O- A very interesting drink. I can see it having a lot of appeal to people who aren't entirely fond of beer, but like fruity drinks, as it's fairly far from the traditional flavors of beer.

I found it to be more of a dessert beer than anything, but it still hit the spot on a hot day. The complexity of it didn't blow me away, but for a cherry lambic, they nailed it.

The sweetness would be a bit too much for me if I were planning on drinking a few, but the one I had wasn't bad.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Pour: Tulip Glass

Appearance: Dark Ruby Red. A little light passes through. The really cool pink tinted head is interesting. Head topped out at about three fingers. Soft and creamy with great lacing.

Smell: I only got one thing here… cherry cough drops! Like medicinal candy. Odd but still pleasant.

Taste: Strong tangy, tart cherries right off the bat. I didn’t notice much malty sweetness. The tartness of the cherries was very strong and didn't allow much else to permeate. Although the hops did peek through at that end.

Mouth Feel: Feels like a thick syrupy soda. A bit of cherry creaminess. Reminded me of some cheap soda from the corner store when I was a kid.

Overall: I like it. It’s much different than anything else I’ve ever had but it’s good. It is definitely a good quality brew. Can't help but imagine this with a slice of chocolate cake.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Big, fluffy pink head. Dark red in body. Hordes of rising bubbles. Nice lacing.

S - Sweet cherries, red creaming soda.

T - Cherries, cherries, cherries. Sour and tart. This is what I imagined a kriek to be. Some guava and green apple around the edges.

M - All sour zing and tartness. Good carbonation.

O - Only tried a few lambics before and was beginning to think they weren't for me. This was all sweet cherry and may have converted me. Not artificial sweet either. You can tell there's real cherry behind it. Would be perfect with dark choclate mud cake.

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

355 mL corked and capped bottle.

appears hazy dark pink purple color, 1" light pink colored head. nice lacing and head retention. pretty looking.

the aroma is not as fruit dominated as I expected. cherries, with some wheat in there.

taste starts sour cherry, but finishes very clean with minimal aftertaste. pretty smooth. light and fizzy body helps cut the sweet and sour flavors, preventing it from being cloying.

overall - this is the first time I've had a fruit lambic, and it's definitely a unique style. a bit pricy, but tasty.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared with friends at a recent beer tasting. Surprised I've never come across this before.

Poured into a 6oz sampler, enjoyed with chocolate cake as a dessert brew. Bright cherry red, looks more like Tahiti Treat or carbonated cranberry juice. Light pink-white head, not much lacing. Pretty colour I must say.

Smells like a Twizzler or Fruit by the Foot - not really fresh cherries, more like artificial cherries. Probably not the brewer's intention; probably the extra sugar added to mellow out the kriek.

Tastes quite sweet, but with a mild sour cherry finish to bring this to more palatable levels. Pretty far away from regular beer, but I've noticed the same with their Framboise, Peche and Pomme, so that's what they are going for.

If one were to make a spectrum of krieks based on their sweetness, Cantillon 100% would be at one end and this would be around the other. I tend to like mine at around the 50-60th percentile, edging towards the sour and tart. As for this brew, I certainly don't mind it. It tastes quite good, but it's far too sweet and lacks the sour punch I'm looking for.

Still, if you want a sweet kriek that most folks would enjoy, this is the one.

4.4/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

One of the few lambics I've tried, and the first kriek I've had.

Poured from a corked bottle (nice touch that). Poured a bright red with a decent pink head that fizzles away quickly to leave some lacing down the glass. Smells a little like cough syrup, but tastes like cherry sours (it's a candy that I'm particularly fond of). If you don't like cherries you're not going to like this beer. However if you like sweet and sour cherry flavors I would highly recommend this brew. It has a light mouthfeel, and is very drinkable though I couldn't see having more than one or two at any given time due to the sweet/sour flavor.

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cream soda pour leaves a deep purply red liquid topped by a thick, frothy Pepto Bismol pink head. Nice lacing. Very pink.

Smells like cherry cough syrup and balsamic vinegar.

Taste is tart and artificially sweet at the same time. Reminds me of Lik-m-aid Fun Dip candies I used to eat as a kid, with the pink stick you dipped into a powder. In this case, the cherry. Very similar in its delivery of acidic sugar and cherry flavours with a lingering powderiness. Sourness and cherry sweetness dominate here. Leaves my mouth incredibly dry.

There is more of medicine and pop (Tahiti Treat anyone?) and candy than beer about this for my tastes and it seems under-attenuated.

I think there's an audience for this beer that will be very pleased with it. I'd just rather drink beer that tastes like beer.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Pours a bright ruby red, two fingers of rose coloured head with solid retention and chunky lacing.

S - Black cherries dominate, reminiscent of cough syrop, some dark fruits also coming through. Very sweet on the nose though.

T - Tastes like sour cherries candy, like the 5 cent candies I used to buy as a kid. Very synthetic and quite sweet, but oddly enough I find it quite tasty. Reminiscent of a sour sparkling red wine with a tang that lingers.

M - Lighter bodied ale that goes down smooth but leaves you puckering your lips.

O - I'm glad I tried it, and I might even buy another. It was a very unique experience and my first with a Lambic. I'm intrigued enough to try out some more, simply because this experience was so unique.

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle from the LCBO, 355ml bottle into a tulip. Listed at 3.5% ABV.

Pours an opaque blood red body, with a pretty pink head of a couple fingers. Leaves sheets of pink lace akin to cotton candy, some bubbles remain atop. Nose has black cherries, almost medicinal in quality. Some sweetness and mild funk that never really reveals itself fully. Taste holds both black and red cherries with again an extremely mild funk note, tart and sugary sweet. Big carbonation and residual sugary qualities remain on the palate. Light lingering tartness. Quite easy to put back, but doesn't stand out in any fashion per say. Fruity and sugary, and not a top option kriek. Gimmie something more sour!

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

355 ml bottle. Corked, capped & foiled.

Pours a bubbly dark red with a fluffy pink head. Nose is light fruits, cherries, candy, sugar, sweet. Taste is sweet, tart, slightly sour but not overwhealming. Cherry dominates the flavour. Lighter mouthfeel / body. Overall, its hard to believe this is a beer. Something what i expect a cooler to be like, tastes alright, nothing bad about it and not something I will find myself drinking often.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

It may not be for everyone but I think this is a beautiful product. Poured a gorgeous 2" violet pink head. Smells like a cherry throat lozenge. Clear dark raspberry-like color held up to the light. Flavor is far less sweet than the smell and look might hint, in fact this is gobs of sour black cherry. It's an instant classic and one of only a handful of lambics I've liked so far.

2.71/5  rDev -30.2%

375ml bottle, poured into my Duvel Tulip. Pours a cherry red color, red foam fills the glass. Immediately when I popped the cork, cherry pie filling fills my nostrils. On a deeper smell inspection, I get an almost artificial cherry pie aroma. Taste- super super tart cherries. Nauseating. No funk, just pure tart. I feel like I'm eating cherry pie filling out of a can. Its overwhelming. This is going to be painful to finish...I am into Sours, Lambics, Gueze, Wilds, but either this is a crappy version of Kriek, or I don't like Kriek. Drinkability- brutal, unless you like Cherry pie filling out of a can.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a medium to deep cherry red colour with one finger of reddish-white head.

S - Sweet dark cherries dominate the nose with some sour yeasty notes in the background. Sweet and tart.

T - Cherry dominates the palate as the nose indicated. Tartness and sweetness compliment each other in the cherry flavours. The sour yeast scents that were present in the background in the nose are much more prevalent in the palate but are still the secondary flavour. The finish is dry and tart and slightly puckering.

M - Light to medium body; light carbonation.

O - This one exceeded my expectations. The tart cherry flavours were great but as I continued to drink this one, the tartness and the sweetness each became a a little too much for me. Otherwise this would be an A.

3.92/5  rDev +1%

A moderate pour of this hazy pink cherry color brew yields a sticky 1 finger light pink head that is cute but disappears rather quickly. Aroma’s all cherries, with both sweet and tart/sour components. The taste follows the nose—all cherries all the time. Decent tartness in the finish but the sweetness dominates throughout. Light body with aggressive carbonation. It came across as more of a cherry flavored pop (or soda) with a bit of a kick, but I found it very enjoyable. A nice summer beer, but couldn’t handle more than one of these due to the sweetness.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

gorgeous bottle. red tinfoil.
cork under the bottlecap. difficult opening as the cork is so short.
pours cherry red with murky red silky head. the head is alive and bubbling. like looking at an active swamp.
from 18 inches away the cherry and fizz waft up. sour cherry. like sour cherry candy very pungent. the cherry smell is downright mouthwatering.

cherry taste with tonnes of fizz and a sweet cherry finish. a little warming on the way down makes for all the fun.
leaves nice lacing. so good on a hot muggy day. hardly any booze but the flavor is great. i feel it in my cheeks.

355 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a ruby red with half a finger of cream soda head; poor retention but leaves some lacing.

S: Smells like fresh, tart cherries; I can also detect an underlying sugary scent.

T: Nice sour cherry flavour; not as sweet as I'd feared.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly light with crisp carbonation.

D: I'd say the drinkability is pretty high.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.

A - Pours a nice copper hinted red color with a nice 0.5 inch head that is rose colored.

S - Strong black cherry aroma . Sweetness and some slight flowery notes. There is some slight cherry tartness.

T & M - Flavor starts off with some sweet cherry notes that also contribute some tart notes to it. Pretty straight forward notes of sweet cherries with some slight tartness. There are some slight chalky yeast notes present as well. There are also some nice woody notes but this is mostly a cherry flavored beer plain and simple. Its still good and delicious for the summer. Very well carbonated with some medium-light notes.

O - Very good Lambic. Quite delicious summer brew with some nice sweet hints and some mild tartness. Good brew but Framboise is definitely still a better one for me.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Blood red colour, light pink head, one finger with spots of lace. Smell is big with cherry, lightly funky, yeast comes through with sweet candy notes, fairly pleasant. Taste is all cherry followed by sweet candy, sugar, tart and lightly sour in the finish, some yeast is among the cherry. Fairly high carbonation, med body, syrupy and fairly decent feel. Not bad, a little too sweet so one is plenty but still quite enjoyable for a sweet lambic.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

355 mL bottle from the LCBO, listed at 3.5%. Love the cap+cork system, really ads to the experience for me.

Pours a ruby-magenta colour. Slightly hazy with a small amount of floating sediment. Light pink head gets retained as a small collar with a thin film. Moderate lacing.

Smells like black cherry and fresh wheat. Slight muffin-like character; like sweetened oats.

Tastes like cherry juice. A deep tartness is accented by a mild, sweet malty flavour. A slight chocolate flavour comes through in the aftertaste.

Very carbonated, like soda on the tongue. Goes bitter, but with a syrupy sweetness in the finish. Balanced, tasty and easy to drink.

Supremely drinkable and a lovely treat, even at $6 a pop I'd have this as or with desert quite often if it was available in my area.

Lindemans Kriek from Brouwerij Lindemans