Lindemans Cassis | Brouwerij Lindemans

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Reviews: 340 | Ratings: 673
4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

As I have said in the past, fruit beers are not and have never been my thing. I've never liked over sweet beer. But, Lindemans Cassis is really an exceptional ale that should please anyone who enjoys something a little different.
Pouring a ruby red with a soft pink head, I was impressed with the colour, as I have never seen anything like it in a beer before. It reminded me somewhat of cranberry juice with slight carbonation.
The aroma of currant filled the air. A pleasant and comforting smell that is far from the ordinary. It leads to a taste that defines luxury. Sweet and tart at the same time. Never before having anything with currant before, it reminds me of cranberry juice.
A great beer that would be a great transitional beer for wine lovers. I highly recomend this to anyone with good taste.

2.2/5  rDev -42.9%

Pours a reddish-purple, highly carbonated and topped with a 1 1/2 finger pinkish-white head. Leaves puffy bits of lacing.
Wine, clove and spice aroma, chamomile candle note, some dark fruit under all that perfume.
Grape, sweet taste with a bit of tartness. Very oily and candlelike, tastes like drinking a perfume.
Medium bodied, I couldn't get through a glass of this.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a clouded strawberry-purplish color with a decent pink to mauve colored head. Strong odors of currant and grapeskins; sourish, yet sweet smelling. Only a faint whiff of something resembling a lambic. Tastes mostly sweet and tart. It's taste is reminiscent of some strong dark berries. There's some viney acidity, which is welcome. My go to in the fruited Lindemans line of lambics, which are all overly sugared for their root styles. I'm not a wine drinker at all (Sulfites and I don't agree), however, this is always good to pull out to a wine drinker that doesn't drink beer.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

I drank this beer with friends after a Trapist beer tasting. This beer was preceded by a bottle of Two Philosiphers. Even though it was a big change in style, everyone at the table enjoyed it. It's a very sour beer with strong fruity, currant smells; A great dessert beer.

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

After trying the Framboise & Peche lambics from Lindeman's, i just had to try the Cassis. It got to be an expensive night.

Appeance was very dark purple, with almost no light getting thru to chekc clarity. Head dropped off quickly.
Smell was quite heavily berry with a hint of something lingering in the background I couldn't put my nose on.
Taste was very much currant/berry as expected, quite tart & sour, not sweet like the Framboise. Aftertaste was quite strong and really brought those background flavors to the front. Very heavy pine/turpentine flavor that just hung around to the point of being annoying. Only went away when the next beer was drank.
Mouthfeel was quite smooth, nice lightly carbonated feel across the tongue, very much like a champagne or (gasp!) a wine cooler.
Drinkability, other than the aftertaste, is good, easy to drink but would only have one and would definitely have my next selection ordered before I finished this one.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

This is the third Lindeman's Lambic I have had the opportunity to try. I don't quite know what to think about this one. It has a bit of a musty, dank basement smell with a bit of earthiness and a bit grape. The taste is remniscent of a damp, musty basement aswell, although there is quite a bit more "grape" in the taste than there is in the smell. The taste is also very dry, like brut champagne. The mouth-feel is quite good in that the level of carbonation is a bit low. All in all, not bad, but the musty, damp basement thing is certainly an obstacle to overcome which is why it got a 3.5 on drinkability.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a grape-purple color with creamy pink head that sticks around leaving nice lacing. Sweet-tart berry aroma with an earthy, woody character. Bold flavor, mostly berry (black currant), sweet, sour, tart, and juicy. Some herbal and earthy notes are also present. Good balance of sweet and tart. Finishes dry with a lingering tartness. Light in body, smooth and crisp. Highly drinkable and more complex then some of Lindemans other lambics. Give this a try.

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

This brew is a grape colored beverage with a with frosted head on top. The scent is very tart. As with the other lindemans (up to now the only lambics ive gotten into), the taste assaults your tounge and the buds come alive. Berry flavors. A unique, sweet drink.

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured out a grape color with a ton of head on this beer. Wonderful smell of currents in this beer. Taste is pretty much the same as the smell. A nice tart sting to it which is nice. A nice flow of currents blended in with some carbonation. A good beer to have with some dessert.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

12 Oz. Bottle with cap and cork. Pours a dark ruby red with a 2 inch head that first looked lavender, but was really more pink. The head quickly collapsed to about 1/4 inch- that stuck around for the entire drinking session. The aroma included both a semi-sweet fruitiness with a back tartness that I am learning to associate with Lambics (I'm pretty new to the style). Others have said musty or horseblanket- I guess that description will do.

The flavor is a bright, not overly sweet fruit of currents followed shortly by tartness at the back of the mouth. My best comparison is that it reminds me of a really good cranberry juice cocktail mixed with champagne. I don't mean that in a negative sense, I am just having a hard time finding better words for it. The tartness did not have the overwhelming pucker of some I've had, which to me means it's a better balance of sensations. I enjoyed it- refreshing and nice, tart, good fruit. But I probably wouldn't want a lot of these.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Let me just say, that after comparing the Lindeman's lineup to the Cantillon's I've tried I'm a bit confused. I think Cantillon is the traditionalist while Lindeman's has made some mighty fine dessert beers. However, I saw some of the characteristics of the Cantillon in the Cassis offering leaving me more impressed than the other fruit flavored lambics I've tasted. Appearance: Purple ruby tone with an effervescent pink head lacing even with each sip, very nice not much retention though. Aroma: Tart winey tones, with an herbal, musty earthiness very solid. By far the most complex smelling Lindeman's product I've had. Taste: Tart grapes (currants), sweet but herbal notes this is an awesome tasting lambic. Sourness is perfect not as lip puckering as a Cantillon but not as candy as the Kriek, Framboise, or Peche. Mouthfeel: Spritzy and light to medium bodied very bubbly, solid. Drinkability: This one contains the best balance for me, Cantillon is great but so sour and the other fruit infused lambics from Lindeman's are overly sweet this is the overall ideal lambic for me.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Deep purple with a small, white-lavender head. Aroma is full of sweetness and currants, with a certain almost rose-like quality. Flavor is pure currants, with a very nice sweet-sour balance. Aftertaste makes me think I've just eaten a bushel of the actual fruit instead of drinking a Belgian ale.

I'd love this if I liked black currants. Even so, this is very good, and a nice change from the cherry flavors I'm used to. It's a great aperitif for our Chinese New Year celebration.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours an opaque dark purple, I can't see through it.

Smell is a typical Lindeman Fruit Lambic, powerful fruit smell.
Smells like Black Cherries.

Taste is sweet and tart with a noticeable bitterness and woody character. This is an intense fruit beer. There is enough acid in this to irritate your tongue if you hold it there.

Mouthfeel is good.

An intense fruit beer that is just too much for a session beer.

This makes a good dessert beer, drink it alone or with vanilla Ice Cream.

4.51/5  rDev +17.1%

I didn't know what black currants tasted like but I tried this one anyway. Because I never had it and wanted to try it. So.... it was so pretty in the glass, for starters.. a deep purple-red colour, with a nice pink head. I actually wasn't turned on by the smell at all, I honestly thought it smelled musty, like I was inhaling the dusty outside of the bottle... but then maybe that makes it more like the traditional lambics than other Lindemans lambics... Anyway, I got over the smell and finally took a sip and after a second i loved it! In the 1st second it was almost too much, tasted like berries you might find in the woods that you're not supposed to eat. But then I got over that and it was just great. It tasted very fresh, like something in the woods. I dont know how else to describe it really.. Fresh, fruity, tart, berry-ish, tasty. I think I made a sour face, but no worse than eating a sourpatch kid, like it was a sweet-tart kind of feel. Mouthfeel was very nice, not too thick and not thin at all. Drinkability, well, even though I loved the taste, it would get to be to much if I drank it all night. Splitting a bottle is enough for one evening, but I'd drink it again any day!

2.91/5  rDev -24.4%

Murky crimson-purple hue, burgundy highlights, the foamy head reached about a half finger in height, it had an odd tint to it, as expected it was pinkish but it was grossly white-gray as well. The foamy bubbles lasted a good while around the edge of the glass. Spotty lace was produced as I drank it. The appearance is pleasant if not typical. The nose had terrific potency but I did not care for the bouquet I was presented, it was disgustingly sweet, it was like grape juice with sugar added, behind this feature of the aroma was something very similar to champagne but with a hollow ending. I did not find this scent inviting at all. The palate was startlingly at first, I found the sweet-tart black current taste overbearing. I got over it but the taste doesn’t really develop much, it is like a candy for adults, sweet, tart, and sweeter. It is lively with flavor but it is nauseatingly sugary. I really dig big fruity beers but this one overwhelmed me. Maybe I just don’t like black currents. The tart finish stuck to my lips and the sweetness laced my throat triggering by brain to beg for water to wash it away. I did. Medium-light in body, lively enough carbonation, I could see how this beer would be very refreshing if you enjoyed the taste. In my opinion Cassis is the worst of the fruit lambics by Lindemans. I can’t see myself drinking this one again nor do I envision this pairing well with desserts. I cannot recommend it.

I "willingly" overpaid for this 12-ounce bottle in Omaha, $7.00.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

This brew was a lovely dark purple colour with a small head of foam. The aromas were of black currants, sugar, and more. The taste is sweet and sour, quite lovely, and reminscent of a black currant cough drop. The mouthfeel is a bit astringent, but nice and the drinkability is good as well.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Hazy, deep ruby-purple pour. Frothy, Strawberry-Quick pink milkshake head fades to an 1/8" capper with creamy lace.
Smell: Tart dark-ripe currants, cranberry, grape foxiness, and a yeasty sourness.
Taste: Start is a sweet wine-like grape/cranberry/raspberry/currrant flavor, thin and fizzy at the top, followed by a quick hard cranberry/citrus pucker and quite dry finish. Superb fruit aftertaste... but blows right over any malt taste.
Mouthfeel: Champagne/sparkling wine carbontion, light-to-medium bodied malt, tart cranberry-like pucker.
Drinkability: A nice desert beer... how many ales (or any drink for that matter) are currant flavored? Serve something different to friends!

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Deep red in color that you can see through, with a large pink head that doesn't seem to disipate. Very carbonated. There is a very fruity and aromatic smell that is a little too strong for me. The taste starts sweet and ends tart. Not very bitter at the end but yet very sweet to start with. Its a little too fruity for me but thats what I ecxpected. If you want somethingfruity this is worth the price.

Deep cranberry in color with an attractive creamy pink head. Not nearly the super dark extracted color of the Framboise. Aromas hint mildly of garden mint and sweet brambly cassis fruit. Some tartness in the mouth, yet still aimed at the international market-though not much as the framboise. However, if this steers a person in the direction, and or, perpares the palate for the likes of Cantillon, this brew has carved its niche. Should be widely appreciated.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

The aroma of friut lambics always suprises me. Other fruit beers often seem artificial and overdone...not a good friut lambic. Of course, I always seem to think that they're more fun to smell than to drink. No difference here. Deep purple, almost black color with a dark lavender head. Charachteristic tartness and candylike sweetness. Very fizzy and very thin. This one was an adventure to drink.

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

Dark purple color. Medium head. Aroma is fruity and berryish. Kind of sweet and grapelike at the start yields to some tartness at the finish. Very carbonated, if not for the malts and the tartness at the finish I would think I was drinking a soda pop. Probably the least beer like of the 3 fruit Lindeman's Lambics. Light and refreshing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is tart and slightly sweet.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Presentation was a corked, capped, foiled, 750ml bottle.

Color was a deep purple with pickish head that dissapated into a thin film. Gotta love the lambics for these wild colors...

I'm not sure what currants taste like, but I'm getting something that smells and tastes like grapefruits. Or an alcohol sweet tart. I was a bit put off at first, but the more I drink the more I enjoy it.

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

Where do I start. This is my first Lambic, it pours a deep purple and has an enormous head that really lasts. The aroma of currants dominates everything about this. It gives you that pucker you expect, without overdoing it, and finishes nicely. The more you drink, the more the complex flavors start presenting themselves. This is a great after dinner, Sunday afternoon, kick back and relax drink. Looking forward to trying Lindemans other Lambics

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a grapey purple color with a tall creamy light purple colored head that fades into a creamy and sticky lace. Nose is medicinal with notes of mint and cough syrup. Moderate in body and quite tangy. Taste starts off with a candy-like sweetness, a juicy fruitiness, and fresh jam followed by a strong tartness with notes of black currants. The sweetness and tartness balance each other very nicely. If you like Sweet Tarts you should enjoy this brew. A fine beer for Sunday brunch.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

This beautifully plum colored Lambic has a nice dry fruity aroma with staying power. Medium in body and low in the hop department. Reminiscent of a dry fruity wine. Dry oak with residual sweetness and ripe berries up front and a tart jam finish. Fairly complex, despite the lack of an alcoholic presence. Behold the rose head!

Lindemans Cassis from Brouwerij Lindemans