Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

4.1/5
Exceptional

Brouwerij Lindemans
lindemans.be

Style: Gueuze

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

Ratings: 2,149 |  Reviews: 911

I found this at a local pizza shop in Charleston WV as my first Gueuze. Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene was golden in color and kind of cidery sweet tart. Slightly similar to dry wine mouthfeel. The finish had me wanting a 12 pack. Very enjoyable and highly recommended.

I am hunting for this everywhere I go and would love to find it on tap.

"1998" vintage
Rose-yellow liquid with a whale-blubber-white, energetic head that hisses and spits its way quickly to a surface-hugging pattern of chunky islands. The smell is intense and resembles loads of pressed apples, burning paper, peppermint, brushed steel, and over-ripe sourdough starter. Sour as all get out. An apple with the sugar removed. Barf flavors throughout. Like barfed up apple pulp and crushed apple seeds. Lime, blood, and sour cherries churn on the palate leaving a path of dry destruction and me, dependantly, begging for more. An awesome hell-beer. From the honey-pine forests of Utopia.

Retasted 10-19. Upgraded from 4.8 to 5. Possibly the best food beverage in the world...
___

Another sample on 9/13/2003 bottled in 2002. This time no cork.
Is this tamer than the 1998? Is my palate inured to the style? Does it need to age?
Wasted red apples and white paper on the nose but less than before. Simpler, more dilute, less hiss... very clean and refreshing, but hardly pushing the envelope that the 1994 and 1998 did:
4.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.0, 4.5
___

Nov. 2003...Tasted the 2002 next to a 1994 (Thanks Surly!)
My faith in the 2002 was restored. It's just too young if you prefer what age can do to this beer - as I do. Witness the 1994: It was like drinking molten lemons that had been painstakingly spiced with thousands of Sumatran botanicals. Certainly a 5, 5, 5, 5, 5!

love the beer i drank a case in a couple days oops its amazing beer i'm a chef and we use this to make an aolio sauce which makes for a taste dipper for frites or put on a sandwich top knock brewer looking forward to my next case its flavors are some of the best from them ands its tartness is perfect 5.0 for me

Amazing. Simply. Amazing.

Corked bottle. Bottled on date: 08 Nov. 2011. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: A nice satisfying "pop" from the cork. Very hazy amber to light orange. Very minimal head, quickly dissipating and leaving little lacing on the glass. Lots of small bubbles; almost looks like stars twinkling in the sky.

Smell: Even before I put my nose to it, I can smell the funk. With my nose in the glass, I also pick up a lot of green apple and apple cider vinegar, as well as oak and even more barnyard funk. There is also a surprisingly fruity sour note.

Taste: Where to begin. The first thing I noticed was the funk, and a lot of it. It seems like a common note that holds all of the other flavors together, leading to a very nice and complex balance. Following the nose, there is also green apple and some sour and tart red fruit, maybe raspberry. As I keep sipping, there is woody oak and some wine like tannins, mixed with balsamic and vinegar. When the beer warms a bit, some sea salt and yeast flavors emerge, only to become even more dominated by horseblanket and funk.

Mouthfeel: Medium to low carbonation, but this might be in part due to the bottling age. The beer is very crisp with a creamy body. The finish is long, mouthpuckering, sour. and lively. It just goes on forever.

Overall: So, so good. The price is right, the beer is incredibly complex while remaining balanced, with none of the flavors overpowering the others; they all work together like a symphony. I would definitely buy this again. This is what beer should be. I don't know what else I can say about it.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans