Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Style: Gueuze

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

Ratings: 2,149 |  Reviews: 911

1.25/5  rDev -69.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.77/5  rDev -56.8%

Either everyone keeps getting amazing bottles and mine are terrible or their is something seriously wrong with my tastebuds. This review summarizes two bottles purchased several years apart from one another.

A: Both times a gorgeous hazy yellow color.

S: The first bottle, heavy barnyard funk with a bit of urine. The second time light barnyard funk and a faint bitterness.

T: The first bottle, heavy sour with an incredible cat piss flavor, instant drain pour. The second bottle almost non-existent sourness, incredibly light hay flavors, and a bit of bitterness, almost no flavor to speak of. The second bottle was improved with cherry juice to improve it and make it very drinkable.

M: Both bottles have an excellent fizzy mouthfeel and a nice light-medium body.

O: I feel like these bottles are a bit of a crapshoot. While I'm aware lambics/guezes can be highly variable in flavors based on the random bacteria introduced, if the results are not drinkable then why would they bottle a particular batch. Considering other mass available sours available, this is a terrible choice, with a much better choice being the Duchesse de Bourgogne.

2.02/5  rDev -50.7%

Pouted from a 375 ml bottle

App- Nice hazy, straw, cider color. Small white head with lacing

Sm- Citric with a small amount of funk. A little barnyard and some farmer's daughter. Not bad

Ta- Overwhelming acidity that can only be described as gastric. Tasted like I was drinking acid reflux. Utterly disgusting. Not even sour, just acidic. Tried to cut through and tasted some lemon, oak and tannic flavors but it was near impossible. Their blender must be devoid of all cognitive and tasting abilities.

MF- Good amount of carbonation. Bit full bodied for the style, but not horrible.

Dr- Undrinkable due to the taste.

Bought this to introduce a buddy to the style and was completely disappointed. A complete insult to the style. Suppose I should have know better coming from Lindeman's, but some of the other reviews made me optimistic. Will never buy again.

2.13/5  rDev -48%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

2.16/5  rDev -47.3%

I poured this 750ml corked and capped bottle into a champagne flute. It formed a 2" white head over the clear, orangey-golden brew. Foamy head lasts well, and lacing is nice. Aroma is a piercing tartness with a woody-soil tinge to it. This one doesn't have the balance of the straight Lindemans Gueuze. Its flavor seems to focus on the tartness which overwhelms any of the more subtle notes. I drank part of it with a lime to cut the overwhelming tartness. I don't have a very sophisticated Lambic / Gueuze pallet and this may be my shortcoming but I did not like this particular Gueuze.

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

2.36/5  rDev -42.4%

2.54/5  rDev -38%

Pungent, bitter, not the best from Lindemans, which I normally love

2.54/5  rDev -38%

Got this just to say that I completed the Lindeman's tour. I tried all of the other Lindeman offerings and was let down by this one. Maybe because I've never had a gueze before. Nothing sweet about this brew. Drinkability was tough. If there was a scale for tart acidic taste and a lemon was a 10, this drink would be a solid 9. I had a hard time getting this to go down. Gonna have to get back on the horse and try another brand of gueze just for comparison.
Sorry Lindeman's, just wasn't impressed.

2.55/5  rDev -37.8%

I had this on the advice of some members of the BA community. The scenario was that I was going to eat oysters and started a thread on what people thought a good pairing was. Gueuze was a popular response . Not knowing the style, I was excited to try. I have mixed feelings.
It poured a nice golden color that was pleasing to the eye, no problem there. However, the aroma was quite a turn off! I don't know how else to put it, but it smelled like urine. The taste started out salty and sour. It reminded me of the one Gose I have tried, which I didn't like. However, as I began eating the oysters, the taste settled somewhat and became more fruity. I had this throughout the rest of the meal and felt the feel is drinkable enough when accompanied with food. I would not drink this alone anytime soon.
What else can I say about this? I wanted to like it and was disappointed. Perhaps it is too radical a departure from the type of beer I'm used to and I just need to develop a taste for it over time. Perhaps it is just not my style. W'ell see.

2.58/5  rDev -37.1%