Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Style: Gueuze

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

Reviews: 887 | Ratings: 2,070
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear honey color with a huge head to start that eventually dissipates. Smells of sour pear/apple/grape and funk that reminds me of many other belgian lambics. Taste is a nice level of sourness along with the aroma flavors. Very good lambic thats easy to find.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this in a flute glass on 9/30/11.

A -- cloudy gold, 2 inch white head that dissipated to 1/2 inch after a minute

S -- sour and funk

T -- sour up front, horsey/barnyard flavors you'd expect from wild yeast (Brett maybe?); dry in back; complex

M -- very carbonated (almost like champagne), dry and crisp

O -- first beer of this style but very enjoyable; great taste, crisp like champagne but sour and full of complex flavors. Lips still sour after a few sips.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours gold with about half an inch of head.

The smell starts with a great yeasty fart. Once it mellows out I get dry sour apple and pale malt.

The taste is not puckering, but still very tart. Dry apple, lemon juice, slight vinegar. Goes down easily.

Liked it quite a bit for my first lambic (though not my first sour by a long shot.)

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is yellow and slightly hazy, forms a white head of small bubbles, steady carbonation of tiny bubbles.

Aroma is super pungent -- in a gueuze good way. Sulfur and sourness, acetic and lactic.

Flavor is not as harsh as you may assume from the aroma. Medium to light in body, good carbonation in the mouth, acetic and lactic sourness. Nice connectivity.

This is an excellent gueuze. If you factor in cost and availability, its an amazing example. I would recommend it to anyone wondering what this whole gueuze thing is about. Its not the best I've had but its really really fine. I would recommend it, I would buy it again, and I would drink it again for sure.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

appearance: light orange color with nice foamy head that fades fast...lacing coats the tulip, a nice looking beer, with a thin film.

smell: sort of a mild tart lemonade smell, tart, with barnyard characteristics. mild.

taste: a pleasant tartness like sour lemonade, super tart "barnyard" flavors. i'm a bit more experienced with Flemish Reds, this is like that with no malt character, just letting that natural funk do it's thing. i love it, but a sip given to a person not expecting rejected it as horrible vinegar.(while loving the frambouse of course).

mouthfeel: so light on the tounge makes this beer a pleasure to drink, the carbination keeps things lively.

drinkability: a pefect light drinking summer beer, heck pair this with burgers and fries, or something like that. A lambic that is very sour and tart compared to even the funkiest saisons. a beer for all seasons

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%

Sampled on 6-26-09
2017 Stamped on the bottle.

Pours a cloudy golden-orange color, with lots of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. The head is thin but ever-present, and and a complete layer of lacing rims the beer.

Smell is very sour and funky, with lots of light fruit and a yeasty finish. A little cider, very fermented, with a nice olive quality if you look for it.

Taste is very good. Light fruitiness at first, followed by a sharp sourness that has an almost candy-like flavor. Subtle bitterness comes and carbonation hit next, with just a hint of pleasant barnyard. The sour lingers into the aftertaste, but is very clean and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is perfect, big carbonation enhances the sourness and keeps the flavors extremely light.

Drinkability is very good, if you're in the mood for nice, lower abv, sour beer.

Overall, an outstanding beer that is clean and simple and better because of it.

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Clear golden yello. Huge, foamy dirty white head. Excellent retrention and great lacing. Lots of little bubbles quickly rising tro the top.

S - A very tart aroma up front with some underlying sour fruits. Some funkiness to the whole combination. I think this is one where some people would but sout 'barnyard'.

T - Strong taste of sour fruits up front. Lemon and hints of apple. Very musty in the taste. Clean and tart. The yeast is noticeable in the taste, but not overwhelming.

M/D - Light, fruity and very tart feel. Also on the dryer side. Incredibly drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- pours with high carbonation and a large but thin head that goes down to about 1 finger, is a very pretty amber gold and you can tell that it is bottle conditioned.

S- Like a fresh orchard, apples, acidity, spices and lemonade. Plus probably a 100 other flavors. hmmm

T- Super tart at first but it mellows out quickily, almost zero of the raw sour flavors you find in most sours I have had, the souriness is super refined and reminds me again of lemonade, also has a great dry finish. So this is what a great gauze tastes like!

M- High carbonation and a thin body.

D- easily my new favorite lambic. I need to go buy more of this.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

I had this on a nice 12 oz. Corked bottle.

This is one of my first forays into lambics so it was an intertesting and very tasty brew.

I had to open this one with a wine opener, after removing the golden foil wrapping on top.

It poured a nice golden hazy color. Very pleasing to the eye, with a nice 3 finger head with decent retention. After the head subsided carbonation was always present and a nice thin layer remained on top for most of the time.

As soon as I opened it smelled very pleasant like a nice trippel, only with the phenols and esters being more noticeable.

Taste was fantastic. Very crisp and refreshing and very tart. I knew I was trying a sour style, but I really did not know how much it would be. The taste is a lot more that what you can smell. The tartness makes you pucker the lips and throw an involuntary kiss. It is however very refreshing.

Drinkability is good, very dry and refreshing. Although I probably would not have too many of these. One is enough.

I will definitely seek this one out again and will probably keep several of these for toasts.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Let's go sour right now. Pucker up! On to the beer:

A pale orange color that shines brightly, almost like the color of an oktoberfest or amber ale. When then entire bottle is poured in, the yeast comes along and gives the beer a darker orange look. The head is soapy on top, but has been holding on top. Aroma is mouthwatering. A little musty, but bursting with sorts of tart fruits. It's like Sweet Tarts. And a little side of malt.

It goes from tart to sour. I'd place the sourness around average for the style, maybe a touch lighter than that. This one has more of a sour lemon flavor than that of apple. I'm also getting some sour/tart berries into the picutre. There's enough oak/wood to muscle itself into the tasting notes. Something weird is in that Lindemans yeast strain, and it's characterist can be found in all of the beers I've tried. Don't worry, I like it a lot. Light bodied, just a touch light.

Lindemans makes good stuff, and Cuvée René is just another reason why. And as a bonus, this gueuze is "affordable".

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

355ml green corked bottle that I have been saving for a special occasion (letter in mailbox..wink wink).

As soon as I pulled the cork, the funk spread throughout the room. My wife was laughing because it "stunk" so bad. I said it was the smell of greatness. It poured a cidery straw gold with a slight haze and lively head that vanished quickly. Slight yeast sediment that I left in bottle. The aroma was filled with Brett and wet cork. You can smell the seasoned oak casks like they are right in front of you. Slight hints of a fruity chardonay and soft vinegar. The taste is full of acidity and heavy tones of sour green apples. There is a raw oakiness that stands out well after the finish. The sourness is sharp right away, but leads to a very dry finish. It reminds me very much of an ultra-dry cider that I brewed a year ago. The body is thin up front, and on the sides, but holds a good amount of complexity as the swallow finishes. This is one of my first true gueuze and I can see how this would become a beer that you want to keep in stock for occasions that call for a beer like this. Not for everyone, to say the least, but I find myself honored to enjoy a beer of this complexity and craft.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

[Side Note] I substituted this beer for Cantillon Gueuze in the salad dressing in the "Roasted Cauliflower Salad" recipe in the latest issue of Beer Advocate and decided to pair the rest of this beer with the salad. It was delicious on all accounts.

Poured this beer down the center of a mini tulip glass and came out with a huge, billowy white head that simply exploded into the glass. As it descended the lacing clung to and painted every inch it touched. It was a bright gold color, very attractive, with lively streams of bubbles.

In the aroma there was sour-vinegar, light fruitiness, musk, lemon-orange-citrus zing, damp and fields. There is nothing like a good Belgian beer when it comes to aroma.

The first sip is tart, sharp and acidic, almost like biting into a lemon. There is just enough sweet here to balance into a very refreshing experience, however. It is an exuberant expression balanced by some earthy notes. The body is light, but the carbonation makes it feel twice its size.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pleasantly sour! Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Beautiful light pink, fluffy head and good lacing. Pinkish gold color and a bit cloudy. It has a sweet, fruity, funky smell that carries over to the taste. The taste is sour cherries and strawberries. All the tastes mingle nicely. It is a pleasant beer to sip on a warm February evening in Texas!

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a clean, crisp golden hue. With bubbles rising to the top to form a minimal head, that is gone rather quickly.

S: Lime/lemon squeeze. People say funkiness, this is my first beer from this style, but I can say I agree. Not exactly sure what this smell is, but I like it.

T: It has a sour crispness to it. My first sip brought me back to when I was a kid sucking on warheads. I wasn't sure it would be so utterly tart, yet so delicious. I can't pick up all the flavors though.

M/D: Smooth and crisp. This is my first gueuze, and I have to say I like it. It is very complex, for me anyway. I keep tasting, trying to slowly piece it together. I can tell why people say this is the next style up from ipa/dipa, complex and intriguing.

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

A nice, tart gueuze. While not quite as wonderful as some gueuze, this is still excellent beer. This is a real punch in the mouth gueuze that leaves a film of tartness on the teeth, like licking a lemon. In fact, it's a bit like mixing with lemon juice with a good, dry champagne, which sounds appealing to me, anyway. There's some dry, neutral oak in the finish and a tiny touch of horse blanket-brett flavor peeks out. Otherwise, it's mostly lemon/grapefruit rind tart. While it's not my favorite gueuze, it's still quite good and comes in at a much lower price than the competition. If only Lindemans would stop sweetening their fruit lambics (or start importing the Kriek Cuvée René)...

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%

750ml, $10, Nikki's Liquors, into White Birch flute.

A- Yellow, pale pale pale, nothing special, but still nice looking.

S- Tart, tangy, fruity, lemon zest, vinegar, hmm. Very good.

T- Wow! Tart, sour, and tasty. Citrus, funk, mouth-puckering, but not overpowering... I like it. Hardcore lemon and some wet grass. Clean enough, though, not much funk. Juicy fruit sourness.

M- Good carbonation, great body and great mouthfeel. Brace for the sourness, cause it's a-comin'.

D- Insane. I downed this with ease. I really found this to be a stellar gueuze, and I will buy some more again.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled
Pours a golden body with slight white head that soon clears
Kind of a sweet pineapple start that goes vinegary sour then dries out
really, really complex

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a beautiful golden yellow straw color. 3 fingers of frothy white head, moderate lacing. Retention is great, tons of carbonation, looks like a funnel cloud in the middle of my tulip glass.

S - A lot of funk & sourness in this. Apples, lemons, it reminds me of champagne a little bit.

T - Wow that's funky! This thing just flat out tastes sour & I'm liking it. Green apples, pear, sour cherries, lemon. Lots of flavor here!

M - This sucker is dry as hell, but just works so well! Light body, huge carbonation, great feel.

D - This was my first Gueuze and it most definitely won't be my last. This is like nothing I've ever tasted beore. I hope I can get my hands on a continuous supply of this stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

12oz. corked bottle poured into a tulip. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a cloudy golden orange color that produced a large fizzy brilliantly white fluffy head with great retention. It is leaving behind tiny bits of lacing here and there.

(S)- A zesty but dry lime citrus with an airy biscuity yeast. Finishes in a sour lemon/lime fruit. The middle has a faint apple juice/cider nuance.

(T)- Wow! A definite sour bite that turns into a super tart lime citrus with lemon zest. Finishes super dry with light; overly yeasty-made biscuits and a barnyard hay.

(M)- Great mouthfeel! Smooth, but with a fizzy carbonation level and a sour punch. Great lime flavors. I could get used to this!

(D)- This is my first Gueuze and am loving it! The sourness packs a punch, but is an interesting and dynamic departure from the norm. Loving the lime & lemon citrus. Great stuff, but anything more than a 12oz. at at time would be too much for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Actually my first Gueze. Not my first sour.
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Kriek Belle-Vue tulip.

Appearance- Beautiful hazy rusty orange with a quick one fingered white head.

Smell- Champagne yeast, vinegar, some musty apple or pear, funky earthy notes. Smells more sour than it tastes.

Taste- Reminds me of champagne in taste. Dry grapefruit pulp and bitter apple. Yeast presence (brett?).

Mouthfeel- Bubbly and refreshing. Not too tart that it makes my mouth water. More bitter than tart. Smooth.

Overall- I liked it. A lot different than other lambics. I'd love to try more Guezes.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my second adventure in the lambic styles at the suggestion of my friend and mentor, Shawn the Beer Philosopher. He called this one truer to the lambic style than my first one. My first one made me think I was drinking champaign. So, let's get to it...

A: Golden yellow with a hint of orange, just a little cloudy, clearly visible carbonation trails, and a white head that fizzes down to almost nothing.

S: Of course there is some fruit nose here but it comes off as not sweet but more tart instead. There is a musty/funky note in there, too. Plus this one has a yeasty smell as well (something missing from the other lambic).

T: Taste pretty much follows suit.

M: Thin bodied, bubbly, sometimes a little harsh but over all a good experience.

D: I loved it. As my palette expands with more of this style my opinion may change. But this one made me think I was drinking a style of beer instead of champaign.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

slightly hazy, golden yellow in color. smell is tart, vinegary, maybe ciderish. tastes great. just as i would expect of this slightly big gueuze from Lindemans. tartness up front, slightly dry-like a white wine in the finish. fruity, twangy and makes my mouth water with each sip.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle, poured into a tulip glass at approximately 40 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy burnished gold with a tint of orange, and forms a thick, fluffy white head with good retention. Lacing is crazy good. Carbonation runs rampant through the body of this beer, far moreso than any other I've seen.

Smell: Mustiness, funk, and bread grains with fuzzy stuff growing on them form the bulk of the aroma, along with some delicate citrus notes that seem like a sour tangerine. There's also something that reminds me of mown grass, lurking faint and far off in the distance of the aroma.

Taste: This strikes right up front with the sort of sour tang that feels like it is pulling something out of the glands under the corners of the lower jaw. Flavors shift continually as the liquid moves along the tongue, with notes of sour orange and tangerine, ancient library mildew, tall dry grass, and light bread, all tied together in a miasma of sharp, pungent funk. The finish leaves a lingering taste of tart, underripe tangerine and green apple.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, creamy and quite lively with carbonation.

Overall: This is my first foray into gueuze territory, and it may be safe to say I'm hooked. So much yeast character, so little hop influence, such intensity of flavor without sacrificing complexity. This does seem to peg the style guidelines well.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Capped and corked 750 with gold foil, and a green bottle. Date code was 21/12/08 and it was produced in 2006.
Pours a beautiful clear gold color with a white head that subsides at a moderate pace. Plenty of bubbles cascading up from the bottom of the tulip.
The aroma is full of crisp granny smith apple, barnyard funk, and a dry bready character. Very nice and complex.

The taste begins with a rush of sourness that is intensified by the carbonation. It is nice and crisp reminding me of a dry champagne but it is much more complex with the sour/funk flavors going on this is a very refreshing beer.
Drinkability is very high once you get used to the sourness.
I think this is the best beer that Lindeman's makes and they should stop mixing good lambic like this into the overly sweet and syrupy fruity beers they make. This stuff is excellent.

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A clear sparkling deep brass brew, a small white head with little lacing and small curtains.

Funky stable notes, earth, horse and vinegar.

Starting with a perky dextrose sweetness, then lemon, yeast, stable, very balanced.

High carbonation, small foamy bubbles, a refreshing texture, medium small body, a sour dry finish.

A very well balanced and smooth gueuze. School!

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans