Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,165 |  Reviews: 917
3.73/5  rDev -9%

750ML Bottle dated 8-12-11. First time for a Geuze. I see a lot of reviews for bottles that are quite a bit older than this one but this is what is before me so here goes;

A- The cork released easily with a nice pop. Some have described the head as Champaigne like but this has an off white, fluffy texture that stays higher on the edges. Color is a hazy medium gold. The carbonation is giving it a persistent foamy cap.

S- Yeasty and peppery. I'm picking up a hint of sulphur and salt from time to time and then as it warmed up there was some of that earthy barn yard funk.

T- Starts out citrus sour without the puckering astringency which surpirsed me. This is not acidic to my palate. The finish is clean and neutral, how do they do that? I'm not getting a lot of nuance here, might be too young. I can taste some musty notes on top of the sour but each sip finishes clean.

M- Light bodied but gives the illusion of being more full due to the smooth carbonation that inflates each sip a bit.

O- For my first foray, I am very impressed. I would love to try an older version. It went well with strawberries and I'll bet some soft cheese would be good too. I can't say how this stacks up yet so I'll probably revisit this after trying some other examples of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

750ml bottle pours a hazey orange. Couple cm of head which fades but leaves tiny bubbles floating on the surface. Musty faintly sour smell. Tastes exactly how it smells which is a good thing. I would prefer a little more but it has a nice sour flavor. Good enough to get my fix without spending a fortune. Overall a very refreshing brew for a 90 degree day laying in a hammock!

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle from the Corkscrew in Urbana, IL
Bottled on Jun 25, 2010
Poured into a New Belgium globe glass

Lindemans Cuvee Rene is probably the gateway gueuze for most North American aficionados of the style. Well-balanced between malt sweetness and tartness, the beer offers much to consider for the style. As one is exposed to more lambic-based offerings and extends his/her palate, I feel that this may be found a bit lacking in sour complexity, but will always still be a solid version of the style.

Pours a 2cm head, slightly off-white, small in size, forming a smooth, shiny, nearly cheese-like frothy head. Retention is fairly good, several minutes elapsing between the head's rise and fall to a thin cap atop the body. Moderate lacing is left in its wake, some significant stretches and splotches. Body is an orange-gold color, highlights are yellow-orange, and when the beer is held up to a light, I observe a lighter, paler orange-gold.

Aroma of malt sweetness with tart apple and some lemon rind/zest. A bit of general, light acidity appears as the beer warms. Good aroma, but would appreciate a bit more complexity as from oak, yeast byproducts, even some acetone-like qualities.

Flavors are of malt sweetness at the forefront of the palate, followed closely by lemon rind tartness; tart, unripe peaches and old, somewhat moldy apricots. Closes out with a flash of good sourness, with the slightest hint of damp basement mustiness. Lingering aftertaste of mild bitterness and wheat malt sweetness.

Beer is medium bodied, with a slight bit of wateriness around the edges. Carbonation is medium to medium-high, suited well for the beer's body, making this fairly crisp on the palate at first, then becoming smooth as the carbonation extinguishes itself. Closes out dry.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a mixed mango colour. Good head/lacing.

Smell is light mango, hydroponics, funk, lemon. Nice malt and funk.

Taste is subdued. Bit of lemon and some crispness and funk.

Mouthfeel is fine, somewhat sour and somewhat minerally.

Overall a good beer at an obviously young age.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

I've had this once before, but I didn't realize I hadn't rated it... A random that's been hanging around since last fall in my cellar.

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden colour, thumb of head with some retention and no real lacing.

S - Musty caramel malts, grape skins, wet cardboard,

T - A sour grapefruit flavour dominates alongside some biscuit notes, bitter, yet fruity hop flavours. Bubble gum lingers on the finish with a hint of orange and lemon citrus.

M - Lighter bodied ale that fills the mouth, goes down a tad prickly and finishes quite dry, fitting for the style... Or at least given the few of the style that I've tried to date.

O - Loaded with flavours, many of which creep up on the finish, making for a complex gueze. Definitely worth seeking out, and I wish I had grabbed a few extra bottles when they were available. I'm glad I was able to hang on to this one for as long as I did.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

My first Gueuze. Wasn't expecting popping the cap to find a cork! Bottled on 2/2/12. From 12oz bottle into my Darkness snifter

Pours a hazy gold. Crowning, three-finger, white, soapy head dissipates rather quickly, leaveing behind very little lacing.

Zesty, funky, slightly florally. Nice and crisp.

Tons of lemon zest, floral, very tart in the finish.

Highly effervescent, tons of champagne bubbles. Super dry and crisp in the finish.

Overall this was a nice introduction to the style, but I have a feeling they get a lot better than this. I hear this style ages well so I think I'll grab another couple and see how a couple years in the cellar changes things. Recommended to anyone looking to dip their toes in the sourer side of Belgians. Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

A: 1" cream coloured head over amber liquid with excellent clarity.

S: Sour funk, dandelions, floral hops, and grassy hops.

T: Bitter and sour floral presence up front with a grassy and floral finish.

M: Medium viscosity and carbonation with a dry finish.

O: Very drinkable, one of the more approachable Gueuzes I have ever tried.

355 mL served in lindemans flute
Appearance: looks like apple juice, little Lacing, no haze, cloudiness, champagne like bubbles when poured.

Smell: tart, lemon, some funk, yeastiness, citrus, barnyard

Taste: very similar to smell, tartness, sourness, followed by a fruitiness and a slightly tart/sour finish. I taste some woodiness, such as oak. This is my first gueuze. I like it, it's different though.

Mouthfeel: light and carbonated, very light. Refreshing, but one of the driest beers ive ever had. Would be nice on a summer day. I can imagine myself sitting on a local farm drinking this with some cheese

Overall: first gueuze, I like it but its hard to review your first beer of the style. I will revisit this style again later

4.43/5  rDev +8%

355ml heavy, thick bottle; Bottled: 21 MAR 2011

A: Hazy, golden-orange with a super foamy, white head that fades and builds quickly. Good retention and no lace.

S: Sour apples, funk, tart.

T: Dry, bitter, tart, sour apples. Barny funk. Earthy.

M: Incredibly smooth. Thin but crisp. Tart. So good.

O: First Gueuze experience. Amazing. It won't be my last. Already love this style.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans