Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Duvel Tulip

A: Golden honey with orange hues. Huge 4 finger fluffy off white head. Tons of carbonation from etched glass. Quite a bit of sticky lacing.

S: Instantly reminds me of Duvel, then come the Sour green apples, pear, lactic acid lemons, bread like yeast qualities. Also some funkiness.

T: Starts mildly sour, huge tart granny smith apple lactic acid lemons again some pear. Funkiness is perfect for me, its there but not crazy overpowering.

M: Super carbonated, starts wet, finishes fairly dry. Very refreshing.

O: This was my first gueuze and I am upset I haven't tried the style sooner. Super refreshing, tart and the perfect amount of funkiness for me. Outstanding.

3.74/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured a 355 mL bottle, dated 15 Nov 2007, into a Tulip.

A: Poured a massive 1.5 fingered creamy head, in a tulip this appears huge. The color is a glorious Tawny. The carbonation is rising nicely in the glass and it seems as if the head is hardly going anywhere. This head appears as it's staying for the long haul and this head does.

S: This smell is definitely something that is memorable. The smell of this is simply a vinegar-like grass. This is definitely the first time I have picked up this smell on a beer, but this is my very first Gueuze.

T: At the very beginning of this swallow a very sharp sweetness comes and goes. This becomes really sour. The lining that this leaves in the mouth is oddly really great. As it warms it feels as if this becomes more tart rather the sour I first tasted.

M: This is a nice creamy, crisp, beast that it a delight to take in. The carbonation feels aggressive at first, but medium and the body is also medium.

O: I was promised this would taste like multiple aged Lambics and I can't say that they lied. I could picture myself casually drinking a Lambic, but this is something I could honestly say I was not prepared for.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

5.5% version. Unsure as to whether it's import strength or a newer version.

The appearance is an orange tan, slightly cloudy, with decent head and retention.

The aroma is filled with funk, acidity, and tartness. I almost want to pucker after just the smell.

The taste is right there with the aroma. The only thing I'd add is that it's mildly fruity and the aftertaste is slightly sweeter. There's immense amounts of sourness to this. While it is tasty, the sourness is a bit too much for me. It really dominated the experience.

The mouthfeel is light, but full due to overaggressive carbonation. As soon as the cork came out and it spewed I could have expected it to be a bit like this.

Overall, this wasn't a bad Gueuze, but the sourness left it seeming a bit simple and lacking. Perhaps some age could do this one some good.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

This gueuze pours a hazy golden color with little bits of sediment and a huge white head. Smells of barnyard funk, a bit of vinegar and maybe a touch of lemon. Tastes of sour apples, lemon, a touch of vinegar, some yeast funk and spice are the most evident. Very tart and puckering.. Leaves the mouth watering from sip to sip as any sour tends to do. This is a Great belgian sour beer.

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

750ml gold foil topped bottle, April 2010 vintage poured into a Hill Farmstead tulip.

Pours a hazy orange color with a small off white head, no lacing. Nose is very funky and sour. Barnyard and a light frutiness. It's really nice.

For being so easy to find and cheap to buy its very good. However, it isn't quite as sour as I'd like, Cantillon and 3F have a much more sour funk and this is just lacking that. The Mouthfeel is very nice and full though, creamy and rich. The finish is dry and barnyardy. Quite approachable for a new sour drinker.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

A: A lot of carbonation in this one, the crisp white head maintains throughout the experience and the liquid itself is a clear orange color reminiscent of a medium honey.

S: Defiantly get the sour fruit - Peaches and pears mostly. Behind the sourness I also get a fresh-baked-bread aroma. Smells quite nice, it's a nice combination of scents.

T: Quite funny, it took me a while to pick up the flavors in this beer, but I am settling on lemon and grass. The sourness is present, but not over-powering at all. Very interesting (and good) flavor profile.

M: Oh wow, tart is the first thing I get. Through and through this beer is very dry, highly carbonated, light bodied, and has a solid puckering effect.

D: Quite drinkable, defiantly a good beer - my favorite of the Lindemans so far.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Pours a cloudy Golden amber colour with a decent size head that retains well.

S - Aromas od grass and lemon citrus are dominant
with a nice backup of sourness.

T - Well balanced between funk, sourness and grassy earthness with the classic green apple and lemon.

M - Light to medium body and carbonation is medium.

O - A very solid Geuze

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

From my beer journal. Reviewed on October 11, 2011.

A: Nice amberish hue. Cloudy. Beautiful white head of 2 fingers. Ends with nice lacing.

S: Definitely musty in beginning and end. Tartness in the middle.

T: Tarty flavor, fruity. I get some mustiness. It's very dry with some chalky yeast. As it's warming I'm getting more and more of a vinegar vibe. Also the mustiness increases.

M: Light body, I was hoping for more carbonation though.

O: Really cool beer, not my favorite of the style but up there.

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%

First Gueze in my beer drinking experience so I don't have any frame of reference to compare to.
Enjoyed the cap/cork bottling. Poured into a fluted glass. This beer has plenty of foamy, bubbling head which eventually settles down to a thin lacing. Lots of small carbonated bubbles rising to the top after the initial pour dissipating a bit after about 5 mins.
Aroma has an interesting mix of light funkiness, with strong hints of apple and lemon and some overall earthiness.
Initial taste is crisp, definitely tart and sour with more of those apples and lemons coming through.
The feel is very light and refreshing on the tongue with the fizz hitting the back of the throat.
Dry finish, lingering on the back of the tongue and throat.
Very enjoyable and unique.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans