Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Revisit 7/2016:
A: clear golden with significant carbonation, sustaining, but with minor lacing
(revisit: head formed nicely, but faded quickly. Thick rim, same minor lacing)
S: nice sour lemon and what I think is a Brett-influenced funkiness
(revisit: no idea if it's Brett, but this thing is funky and sour - almost like a cheese plate with a few lemon wedges on it)

T: muted version of the smell. Sour lemon hits first, but doesn't last or grow as I would hope. I can't quite place the "farmhouse" taste that comes in, hay/meadow/wood. There's a wine feel to it as well, late.
(revisit: definite lemon and sour white grapefruit early, but there is a fleeting musty wood note first. Maybe a bit too sour, as it dominates most of the taste. I like the sour, but want a little more complexity, as well)

M: carbonation and a refreshing taste that has an earthy taste but isn't too dry
(revisit: lively carbonation when added to the sour attack makes this aggressive on my palate, light cheesy feel once the sour fades)

O: I was hoping for more tart bite throughout, but this beer did grow on me. The transition from sour to "regular beer" did take some getting used to, however.
(No idea how I reversed on this... my current bottle is all sour. Guessing a little more experience with nuanced styles is shading my thoughts.)

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Gosh-darn this is a refreshing beer. I enjoyed opening it-- the process is a little different, as one unravels the foil and then uses a wine-opener to release the petite cork. A lovely little process which enunciates the rustic element.

The smell is the only score that I did not give a perfect score on, not because it is a perfect example of the style, but because the rubbery scent was a little off-putting.

The brettanomyces is very playful in regards to the taste profile. Quite refreshing, and I would say that while this lambic geuze style is different from the traditional style of Rodenbach, I would say that both are equally excellent examples of a successful variation on a theme.

The previous beer I tried (Urthel Saisonniere) I put away in the refridgerator, perhaps to drink later, though probably not. This beer I will probably finish, just because of how good it tastes.

The finish is clean and elegant. The previous beer left a earwax taste in my mouth that lingered, but this beer has cleaned it away quite wonderfully, and now I taste almost cherry-like freshness amidst the sour after notes.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans