Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

Ratings: 2,142 |  Reviews: 909

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

Liight orange towards golden in color; hazy. Pours with a rich 2+ finger head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving the slightest amount of foam on the surface of the beer and lacing on the sides of the glass. Nice sour (think green apple), citrusy aroma; made me want to taste the beer. Starts slightly acidic and citrusy, the progresses to a nice smooth sour finish that is slightly tart at the end. I found the taste refreshing and thirst-quenching. Light to medium body, lots of light carbonation that leaves a slight tingly sensation in your mouth. Overall I found this beer to be a solid sour that I would enjoy drinking again.

4.06/5  rDev -1%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

3.32/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene last month for $7.49 at Cork N Ale. I've never had this beer before, but since i like sours now I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on March 21st 2011.. Poured from a green 12oz foiled bottle that had a cork underneath the bottle cap and I poured it into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks nice, along with the foiled top it's got a nice classy look to it and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a nice hazy looking brighter yellow color that took on more of a darker golden hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- the aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by some fruity sourness being the first to show up, the sourness seems to be around the higher side of medium and the fruity aspect is very citrus like with a good amount of lemon aromas coming through. Up next comes a slight funky barn yard like aroma with some wet hay and grassy aromas coming through. From the middle to the end there's a pretty noticeable skunky aroma that I think might be from the green bottle. This beer had a decent aroma, but I could have gone without the skunky aspect.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by those sour fruit aspects that I got in the aroma and they impart a medium amount of sourness with lemon and other citrus like flavors coming through along with a slight apple aroma. Up next comes the yeast which proves to be much more earthier than it was in the aroma, but the wet straw aspects still comes through and it's followed by that same skunky aspects, but this time it seems to be just slightly lighter. On the finish there was a little bit of lingering sourness along with an earthy, lemon and light skunky like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but the overpowering earthy flavor and the skunky flavors really hold back the taste.

M- Not the smoothest, not too clean, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of high carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and as far as I can tell I think it's a pretty average example of the style and it doesn't really have any tastes or aromas that I think are really well done, it kind of falls right in the middle and that skunky and overly earthy aspect doesn't help. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, not too clean, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think half is a little more than enough for me and I'm glad that I'm splitting this bottle with my brother and there's no way I would want to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was pretty good and to me it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the skunky aspect and the overly earthy flavors, if this beer didn't have those it might be a lot better. I would buy this beer again, but I would make sure it's a pretty fresh bottle since I don't think aged was too kind to this beer and as it stands now I don't think I would recommend it. All in all I was disappointed with this beer, I had heard good things about and I thought it would turn out to be a good sour, but it just had too many off aspects and in the end that really hurt this beer. This just might be my least favorite Gueuze and my least favorite beer from this brewery. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me, but I hope to try a fresher bottle in the future.

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 mL capped & corked bottle into a Brewer's Art goblet. Moderate hand. No definitive date, but the label is stamped LI13MGC. Presumably a 2013.

A: Lightly cloudy honey-colored orange-yellow body. 1 finger of white head. Ok retention. Light lacing.

S: Citric and lactic acid sour with a touch of acetic. Suggests cherry, lemon, apple, pear. Hay. Grass. Basement.

T: Assertive, musty sourness immediately and throughout. Light bitterness on a rather dry finish. Lemon juice lingers in the aftertaste. No significant alcohol presence.

M: Effervescent with high carbonation that brings a nice fullness on the palate. Light to moderate body. Spritzy and refreshing, if not a bit prickly out of the gates.

O: A firmly sour gueuze with a solid and pleasant funk factor. Very good brew. Functioned as both a nice aperitif and a fitting complement to a rather spicy palak paneer and rotisserie chicken slathered with Sriracha.

Note: I had a terrible tasting of this in the past, which I attribute to a bad bottle. All the subsequent experiences have been consistent with the above review.

Prost!