Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Style: Gueuze

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

Reviews: 889 | Ratings: 2,079
3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

This lambic is a bit tame compared to the other two I've tried, but it still has the funk. The nose was quite earthy, but not so Bretty, i.e. horsey, barnyard etc. Definately some, but I just got more of a dirt kind of smell, none of the real sharpness, but very rich, full, round type scents. Pretty sour beer, but not overwhelmingly so. Nice sour fruityness and very very dry. Still a touch of residual sweetness, but perhaps what little there is is just super obvious because the beer is so dry otherwise. I like this one pretty good, but I couldn't drink more than a glass or two per sitting.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Nice looking brew, poured into a tulip glass. Nice slightly cloudy golden color with a fair sized just off white head that has good retention. I am picking up wheat malt mixed with a nice sour tart fruit like aroma, slightly funky, very inviting. The flavor is nice, thought it might be a little more sour based on the nose but the tart fell is very welcoming. Has a lemon citrus flavor that seems to mix well with the wheat flavors I pick up. Also a funky flavor is there that seem more like a farmhouse flavor which goes well with everything. The carbonation goes a long way with the feel, almost champagne like, dry finish. This is a nice brew, I like the sours but have not had many Gueuze's but will have to look for more.

Poured into a tulip.
A - A hazy light orange pour. A frothy bubbly white head that diminishes but laces slightly.
S - Funky funk, sour, very acidic fruit, then some spice and earthy notes end the aroma.
T & M - Sour tart funk right away. There is a strong bite up front that opens to notes of acidic fruits. The more you drink the more you pick up on herbs and floral notes in the middle and back end of the mouth. The beer is very carbinated and light with pop like champagne.
O - A good gueuze with some character and depth.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours golden with just hints of red throughout. Has a foamy white head that diminishes to a ring. The aroma is vinous and of grape skins. A bit of sweet and tartiness too.

The flavor is fruity and tart, again with the grape skins and a bit of sour apple. It is light-medium in body and a bit acidic. Nice brew.

750ml bottled December 14, 2012. Served in a tulip glass

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow orange color with 2 fingers of a white head. Body is slightly hazy with moderate levels of carbonation streaming throughout the glass.

Smell: Musty, barnyard funk, oak, green apple.

Taste: Tart apple and pear, musty, oak, hay, some lactic acidity.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp with high carbonation. Super dry finish.

Overall: I was pleasantly surprised by this. This has all of the sourness and funk that's missing from Lindeman's fruit lambics. If you're a fan of the style, this is a great bang for your buck.

3.91/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a medium orange with a light golded tint with a grear fluffy head that just leaves incredable lacing,aroma is ctrius and some soapy aromas in there as well.Taste a little subdued for the flavor (wich is fine with me)still rather sour and dry some real ripe green apple flavors in there,did I pick up some nutiness in there ass well?Although not a huge fan of the style this beer deserves good marks well made and not overpowering.

3.91/5  rDev -4.2%

25.4oz bottle split with BA Hopheed2113.

A: The first glass is a golden amber with a nice white head and a steady stream of carbonation that adds to the appearance

S: Sour with vinegar and a complex profile with a nice oaky flavor with a hint of vanilla. Decidedly less complex than the 1882 or the Beatification but at 11$ for a 750 - it's fantastic value for money

T: Starts off sour with a pleasing vinegar note with a mildly sweet flavor. The finish is sour and dry. Good stuff

M: Nicely carbonated, great dry finish.

D: I'll drink this again!

**Edit 05 August 2012**
I've been drinking gueuzes for 4 years now, and I need to re-review this.

The nose is musty up front, pleasantly so. It's not got the deep earthy mustiness that a Drie Fonteinen has, instead it's more like a damp, papery basement. A touch of spice is also present. A raw, untoasted oak character is present. Nice.

The palate opens with a refreshing lemony sourness along with a moderate lactic character. Pronounced oak character is present, rather raw and woody. Not terribly funky. Drying and oaky on the finish with lemon and mild lactic character, this is quite nice. A good deal at its price for the style.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Opaque and golden like an old farmhouse cider, it sported a mighty fine white head that kicked the ass of most other lambics I had the previlege to try.

Smell: Speaking of cider, the aromas were similar to the ciderhouses I visited in Normandy, like an old dusty barnyard, and a strong dose pepper that almost made me sneeze every time I'd stick my nose in the glass. Do they sprinkle histamines in there?

Taste: Carbonation is livid, the acidity level was nice and reminded me of the time I crunched on a piece of raw wild rhubarb back when I was a kid. The "funk" level was relatively low and the aftertaste was a bit short. Still a nice Gueuze that I can relatively easily, relative meaning a 2-hour drive into a foreign country!

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Warm weather - I feel like a sour. Bottled 3 Feb 2012. 355 ml bottle, corked and capped.

Pours pale golden straw yellow, hazy, but clear enough to see the tower of bubbles rushing up through the center. One and a half finger head, white and fizzy, dropped off fast and left little lacing.

Smells clean, crisp, fruity, and lightly sour, all underlain by earthy funk. Has a nice blend of sweet fruity flavors, like light cherries, and soft lemony sour. Almost like those sour lemon candies.

Pretty tasty. Pleasantly, rather than blisteringly, sour. Much less of the fruity sweetness that I detected in the smell, and much more of the acidic citrus sour. Fades to bitter in the end, and I wish it didn't. Pretty good, but lacking depth. Just when I start to really like it, the flavor falls off, where on a top-level gueuze it would power through with more deliciousness.

Mouthfeel is where this beer excels. Light and highly carbonated, but perfectly in line with the rest of the beer. Finishes quite dry.

This beer is up and down, but boy am I happy I poured it. Incredibly refreshing, and just what I was looking for this evening. Thank you Lindeman's for making a good, inexpensive gueuze! I will be drinking it again - there isn't another widely available value like this in the world of lambics.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer pours with quite a big head, lacing is also very good... Lots of different aroma's, citrus, funk, fruit... Taste is refreshing and twangy, lots of flavours lie in the depths of this brew... A Great Gueuze for sure.. but split the 750ml bottle with another person!

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Pungent sour apple aroma. Pours cloudy and golden with a large, fine head that dissipates very quickly with no lacing at ll. Taste is sour and funky but still somehow pleasant in that makes your cheeks hurt kind of way. Thin and fizzy on the palate; champagne like with a dry, sour finish. It's actually pretty good but I suspect one or two a year would be plenty.

750ml bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a hazy golden color with three fingers of very active white head. Carbonation throughout the beer appears very active.

S: Clean, lemon sourness upfront with a bit of barnyard funk, but the funk is well restrained. The lemon sour aroma is of moderate strength. Straightforward, but pleasant.

T: Similar to aroma, a lemon acidity is very apparent, yet not overpowering. Very mild musty funk. The taste is pretty balanced between a juicy sourness and a dry tartness. Good, but not terribly complex for the style.

M: Medium mouthfeel with strong carbonation.

O: A good, but not very complex Gueuze. Not as good as 3F or Girardin, but a good choice for the availability and price.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Pours a bright hazy orange color with a small, frothy white head that falls quickly. A few spots of lace, not much else. Color is quite vibrant, though.

S: Tart, sour, acidic, lemony, raw wheat. A barnyard-like aroma is prevalent, as well. There's a slight grapefruit element, as well.

T&M: Musty, tart, and acidic up front. Vinegary flavors come in midway, along with a sweetness and citric fruitiness. Fruitiness actually becomes much more prevalent as the beer warms. Lemon, grapefruit, and orange, in that order, all underlie the flavor and linger long into the finish. It's not over-the-top sour and remains accessible. Body is light with a spritzy carbonation.

D: Well, it's pretty sour, so I wouldn't drink more than 1. Still, it's fairly accessible and drinkable for a lambic.

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%

Been wanting to try this one for a little while now, finally found a stash of them at a local shop.

A - Pours light golden yellow with a small half finger tall white head leaving little to no lace down the glass. If the carbonation had stuck around this one could have been better...

S - Smells of tart sourness, barnyard funk, apples, lemons, damp earth, and wet hay. Smells like your typical gueuze but it never really gets to the point of being great.

T - Starts off with quite a bit of tartness quickly giving way to a mix of the typical barnyard flavors; damp earth, hay, funky basement, etc.; green apples, lemon rind, and a light mineral quality. The finish is pretty dry with some lingering funk.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderately low carbonation. Decent carbonation initially becoming dead still toward the end of the glass.

O - I wouldn't turn one of these down in the future but it really isn't anything mind blowing, just a solid example of the style. I may have to go back and grab a few more of these and see how they are drinking in a few years...

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A: pours a hazy golden color.. 1 finger of dense head..

S: lemon juice sourness.. barnyard funk.. wet hay.. some skunkines also that I don't remember smelling on past bottles..

T: upfront you get that funk!.. then comes in that lemon sourness with some light vinegar.. more wet hay & funk.. finish is like a bitterness of funk with some moldy cheese hints.. leaves a lingering funk taste..

Mf: prickly carbonation that coats the tongue.. medium body..

O: a great sour beer. Great intro starter as well.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a nice medium head with dark yellow color. Can't put my finger on how it smells. It smells like a typical lambic beer is all I can say. Taste is somewhat champagne but no sweetness. Nice carbonation, sour and a very slight bitterness at the finish. Tastes like it smells. Has that funkyness that everyone talks about. A very nice beer.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

By far one of the most interesting beers I've ever had in my life. It wasn't really better or worse than anything I've had...just interesting. I was told by my roommate that Gueuze is also called Belgian Champagne. I agree, there was definatly a similar taste between the two. I noted a very cidery, vinigarish scent. Almost no hop bitterness as a result of aged hops being used. I would drink it again, however I had difficulty drinking the entire 750mL bottle. The only issue I had was I thought it was a crown cap, and it is, but underneath the crown is a cork. I didn't have a corkscrew on me, so I had to wait to actually have to drink the beer. Also, it seemed slightly overcarbonated. I'm not sure if thats the style but by compairson to other ales I was drinking, it seemed excessive. I would repeat drinking this once in a great while, however it did peak my interest in trying other types of Gueuze.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Hazy golden hue with a bubbly, bright white head. Seems fairly carbonated with tons of tiny bubbles streaming to the surface.

S - Lemon upfront along with that sort of nose-filling pungentness that lambics have. There's the expected funk, that to me is most similar to wet hay/straw and wood(which is what I typically associate with brett). It's not as funky or assertive as some other gueuzes I've had, but that might be because it's still fairly cold.

T - More than any other gueuze/lambic I've had, this has the most distinct twang coming from actual wheat flavor as opposed to sourness from the bugs(which is still there). Very woody dirty/earthy funkiness. That leads into the finish along with a lemony sourness.

MF - Lots of prickly carbonation that makes it very refreshing. I haven't had any other gueuzes that were nearly this carbonated, but it's nice.

D - Maybe the most drinkable gueuze I've had. It's not as sour/funky as others I've had, which isn't necessarily good or bad, but I do think that adds to the drinkability.

It's difficult to review a gueuze, because I think I've really enjoyed all of the ones I've tried, and I don't get to drink them very often(price/availability). I'm trying to review to a C = average scale, but it's difficult considering I've only tried a handful. Short and simple: This isn't as sour/funky as others I've tried, but it still has those attributes and is pretty tasty, with much more of a wood flavor than others.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a dark, hazy golden yellow/orange colour and it didn't gush with foam like I was expecting. Tastes a little like sour candy, with some apples and pear in there, with a dry finish. It wasn't has hard to drink as I was expecting as I am new to sours. It would be hard to drink more then one of these in a sitting though. its a fitting summer beer though.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Pours a beautiful dark golden color that glows in the light with a lot of head that is quick to dissipate to about a half an inch, with very good retention.

S- Sweet citrusy aroma. Has a sort of sour apple/orange citrus smell. The sour being the strongest of the aromas the others are very light somewhat harder to distinguish.

T - The initial taste is similar to the smell, sour apple/orange with a sour finish. The initial taste is sweet with a nice tart finish.

M - Very light mouth-feel with higher amounts of carbonation. Also has a dry champagne like finish.

D - Good drink-ability, not something I would have several of in a night but a great beer to have one or two of in an evening.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a golden-orange with a fluffy 3-finger white head. Moderate retention with soapy, bigger-bubbled lace.

The nose is a heady, musty mix of barnyard aromas and tart fruit- a grainy malt not unlike animal feed (either that or the barnyard smells are so huge that I'm just associating it as animal feed), an intense yeasty chalkiness and sour aromas of apple, pear, cherry and orange.

The medium-bodied palate kicks off with a big rush of sour green apple, that same animal feed-like grain and a delicate chalky creaminess sitting quietly in the background. Hops are undetectable, while the mouthfeel gains a much-needed robustness as you get more into the yeasty latter-half of the brew. A mild sweetness joins on the finish but the overall presentation remains wholly tart and the flavors are mostly funky.

My first Gueuze, technically, but it definitely mirrors the experiences I've had with a lot of sours- a touch harsh and unharmonized upon first pour but nicely comes together over half an hour. The flavors in this were pretty straightforward, but they were intense and balanced- that is if you prefer your sours to lean more toward the barnyardy side of things- and the brew itself wasn't puckeringly tart either. There was enough of that chalky creaminess and slight sweetness to round out the acidity. I don't think I'd take a Gueuze over an Oud Bruin but this is solid for the style.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I don't know, dude. This was overly sour and was the funkiest beer I've ever smelled. I appreciated its complexity and it tasted better than I thought it would, but I'm not sure gueuze is my thing.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

I found this bottle hidden away in a liquor store that doesn't normally sell beer like this. $6.99 for a bottle printed 1994, with 1998 written in marker.

Pours a golden yellow color, fairly clear, with a reluctant skim of white bubbles on top.

Aroma is not all that funky, mostly just sour, a bit of urine and some chinese food.

Very tart flavor, sour. A hint of sweeteness, faintly malty, steps in to balance things up, but this beer remains dry in the finish. Unlike Rose de Gambrinus, I found this beer quite drinkable -- its tartness was not so unyeilding. This beer is light-bodied and actually fairly refreshing. A good beer to celebrate moving into a new place.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 355ml Bottle (dated Nov. 2007) into Snifter glass.

Pours a crystal clear golden orange with a off white head that quickly disappears and leaves no clues that a head was ever present. Aroma has sour apple, acidity and a bit of yeast. The flavor has similar notes. Sour apple upfront with a nice biting tartness and it lingers with the finish being dry. Its a light bodied beer that is highly carbonated. I really like this beer, I haven't had many sours so I look forward to venturing into this realm much more.

Bottle from the Corkscrew in Urbana, IL
Bottled on Jun 25, 2010
Poured into a New Belgium globe glass

Lindemans Cuvee Rene is probably the gateway gueuze for most North American aficionados of the style. Well-balanced between malt sweetness and tartness, the beer offers much to consider for the style. As one is exposed to more lambic-based offerings and extends his/her palate, I feel that this may be found a bit lacking in sour complexity, but will always still be a solid version of the style.

Pours a 2cm head, slightly off-white, small in size, forming a smooth, shiny, nearly cheese-like frothy head. Retention is fairly good, several minutes elapsing between the head's rise and fall to a thin cap atop the body. Moderate lacing is left in its wake, some significant stretches and splotches. Body is an orange-gold color, highlights are yellow-orange, and when the beer is held up to a light, I observe a lighter, paler orange-gold.

Aroma of malt sweetness with tart apple and some lemon rind/zest. A bit of general, light acidity appears as the beer warms. Good aroma, but would appreciate a bit more complexity as from oak, yeast byproducts, even some acetone-like qualities.

Flavors are of malt sweetness at the forefront of the palate, followed closely by lemon rind tartness; tart, unripe peaches and old, somewhat moldy apricots. Closes out with a flash of good sourness, with the slightest hint of damp basement mustiness. Lingering aftertaste of mild bitterness and wheat malt sweetness.

Beer is medium bodied, with a slight bit of wateriness around the edges. Carbonation is medium to medium-high, suited well for the beer's body, making this fairly crisp on the palate at first, then becoming smooth as the carbonation extinguishes itself. Closes out dry.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans