Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Style: Gueuze

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

Reviews: 897 | Ratings: 2,103
3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a dark, hazy golden yellow/orange colour and it didn't gush with foam like I was expecting. Tastes a little like sour candy, with some apples and pear in there, with a dry finish. It wasn't has hard to drink as I was expecting as I am new to sours. It would be hard to drink more then one of these in a sitting though. its a fitting summer beer though.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Pours a beautiful dark golden color that glows in the light with a lot of head that is quick to dissipate to about a half an inch, with very good retention.

S- Sweet citrusy aroma. Has a sort of sour apple/orange citrus smell. The sour being the strongest of the aromas the others are very light somewhat harder to distinguish.

T - The initial taste is similar to the smell, sour apple/orange with a sour finish. The initial taste is sweet with a nice tart finish.

M - Very light mouth-feel with higher amounts of carbonation. Also has a dry champagne like finish.

D - Good drink-ability, not something I would have several of in a night but a great beer to have one or two of in an evening.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a golden-orange with a fluffy 3-finger white head. Moderate retention with soapy, bigger-bubbled lace.

The nose is a heady, musty mix of barnyard aromas and tart fruit- a grainy malt not unlike animal feed (either that or the barnyard smells are so huge that I'm just associating it as animal feed), an intense yeasty chalkiness and sour aromas of apple, pear, cherry and orange.

The medium-bodied palate kicks off with a big rush of sour green apple, that same animal feed-like grain and a delicate chalky creaminess sitting quietly in the background. Hops are undetectable, while the mouthfeel gains a much-needed robustness as you get more into the yeasty latter-half of the brew. A mild sweetness joins on the finish but the overall presentation remains wholly tart and the flavors are mostly funky.

My first Gueuze, technically, but it definitely mirrors the experiences I've had with a lot of sours- a touch harsh and unharmonized upon first pour but nicely comes together over half an hour. The flavors in this were pretty straightforward, but they were intense and balanced- that is if you prefer your sours to lean more toward the barnyardy side of things- and the brew itself wasn't puckeringly tart either. There was enough of that chalky creaminess and slight sweetness to round out the acidity. I don't think I'd take a Gueuze over an Oud Bruin but this is solid for the style.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I don't know, dude. This was overly sour and was the funkiest beer I've ever smelled. I appreciated its complexity and it tasted better than I thought it would, but I'm not sure gueuze is my thing.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

I found this bottle hidden away in a liquor store that doesn't normally sell beer like this. $6.99 for a bottle printed 1994, with 1998 written in marker.

Pours a golden yellow color, fairly clear, with a reluctant skim of white bubbles on top.

Aroma is not all that funky, mostly just sour, a bit of urine and some chinese food.

Very tart flavor, sour. A hint of sweeteness, faintly malty, steps in to balance things up, but this beer remains dry in the finish. Unlike Rose de Gambrinus, I found this beer quite drinkable -- its tartness was not so unyeilding. This beer is light-bodied and actually fairly refreshing. A good beer to celebrate moving into a new place.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 355ml Bottle (dated Nov. 2007) into Snifter glass.

Pours a crystal clear golden orange with a off white head that quickly disappears and leaves no clues that a head was ever present. Aroma has sour apple, acidity and a bit of yeast. The flavor has similar notes. Sour apple upfront with a nice biting tartness and it lingers with the finish being dry. Its a light bodied beer that is highly carbonated. I really like this beer, I haven't had many sours so I look forward to venturing into this realm much more.

Bottle from the Corkscrew in Urbana, IL
Bottled on Jun 25, 2010
Poured into a New Belgium globe glass

Lindemans Cuvee Rene is probably the gateway gueuze for most North American aficionados of the style. Well-balanced between malt sweetness and tartness, the beer offers much to consider for the style. As one is exposed to more lambic-based offerings and extends his/her palate, I feel that this may be found a bit lacking in sour complexity, but will always still be a solid version of the style.

Pours a 2cm head, slightly off-white, small in size, forming a smooth, shiny, nearly cheese-like frothy head. Retention is fairly good, several minutes elapsing between the head's rise and fall to a thin cap atop the body. Moderate lacing is left in its wake, some significant stretches and splotches. Body is an orange-gold color, highlights are yellow-orange, and when the beer is held up to a light, I observe a lighter, paler orange-gold.

Aroma of malt sweetness with tart apple and some lemon rind/zest. A bit of general, light acidity appears as the beer warms. Good aroma, but would appreciate a bit more complexity as from oak, yeast byproducts, even some acetone-like qualities.

Flavors are of malt sweetness at the forefront of the palate, followed closely by lemon rind tartness; tart, unripe peaches and old, somewhat moldy apricots. Closes out with a flash of good sourness, with the slightest hint of damp basement mustiness. Lingering aftertaste of mild bitterness and wheat malt sweetness.

Beer is medium bodied, with a slight bit of wateriness around the edges. Carbonation is medium to medium-high, suited well for the beer's body, making this fairly crisp on the palate at first, then becoming smooth as the carbonation extinguishes itself. Closes out dry.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with foamy one finger head, settles into a nice ring leaving some splotchy lace. Smell: fairly subdued - hay, grassy, a little funk, green apple. Taste: pretty tart, lemon/lime over a slight mustiness, fades into green apple, then becomes vinous - champagney, with an acidic grapeskin finish. Mouthfeel: light bodied, just enough fizzy carbonation.

11 Aug 2010 printed on label, but bottling code seems to indicate 2008 bottling (?).

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%

Date on back of Bottle: (L D08 HGCR)

Pours a slightly orange yellow with a tiny head.
Smell of funk, horseblanket , tart lemons and some citrus.

Taste very similar to aroma. More brett flavor than I had expected from Lindemans, and a solid overall Lambic taste. Citrus and lemon are the most pronounced flavors. Not quite as dry as other lambics, but also not quite as carbonated. My bottle may have been a one off, as it was relatively lowly carbonated and I see others have said their pours had a large head.

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12floz on 19 Oct 2013, bottled: 06 Juli 2012.

A - Hazy golden orange perforated by a swarm of little specks of yeast. Nice bubbly lacing hangs out topside.

S - An inviting tanginess greets the nose, flanked by a layed-back funkiness. Sweet white grapes are present as well as hints of sour apricot. One is left in no doubts about the acidity which is to come.

T - My first experience of this style and I definitely like it. The closest thing I've ever had to this is Petrus Aged Ale. Tastes follows the nose hear; grapes kick the door down. Champagne, stale yeast, citric acid.

M - Tastes fuzzy rather than bubbly.

O - Sour beers really do it for me, so I liked this beer quite a lot, almost by default. Having said that, I felt like as an experience it fell a bit flat; both in terms of looking for a more complex tasting experience as well as a more lively and satisfying mouthfeel. Expected a slightly higher quality brew such as that of the aforementioned Petrus. I can imagine having a gueuze which will really knock my socks off though. Bring on the Cantillon/3F!

3.86/5  rDev -5.4%

Pale golden in color as I rolls into the wine glass. Rocky, thick bright white head slowly dissipates. Very clear, light carbonation. I like the corked and capped bottles: classy. From a distance this beer smells like apples. Very tart and sweet. As I bring it to my nose and sniff I smell a dirty, funky smell. I am in complete ignorance as far as what this beer is going to taste like because I have never had the style, and I haven't read much about this particular beer. I chose it because it was different. The flavor is wild (literally, lol). Very tart at the beginning with pure sourness. The sourness quickly transitions into a CO2 taste and then it is extinguished. I will have to keep sipping for a while before I can get my taste buds around this one. There is some malt way in the back under the sourness. I think the hops are similar to that of a nice dry saison. As the sips pass, it begins to take on a grapy taste. Lots going on here. Dry at the end. I will have to explore this style more in order to find relativity, but I think that this beer has been considered one of the finer examples of a gueuze.

I love Belgium.

3.86/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a tough beer to review for me. It's the first gueuze I've had so it's hard to judge how it compares against the style.

Of course, an extremely unique style of beer. I've had several lambics over the past year or so, and have grown to really enjoy the style. I was often curious to what a lambic would taste like without the fruit, so I finally dished out the $8 and picked up a 750 of the Cuvee Rene.

My personal preference is for bitter beers, which this is far from. I absolutely loved the tartness of this. A very dry beer with that taste like biting into a lemon. A champagne level of carbonation that doesn't go away. Even after letting it sit in my tulip for a while to warm up, I could swirl it around and create another head. It's hard to get many specific flavors out it because the tartness is so overpowering. Bacteria is a hell of a thing.

Not something I'd drink every day, but a beer I enjoyed enough to actively try more from the style.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Picked up a bottle from Abe's for $10.50 and split it with friends. This isn't a big ripping gueze like some of the legends. Rather, this is a touch more balanced and approachable. While the aroma has a mix of spice and farmhouse funk, the aroma is gentler with sour, tangy lime and a hint of sugar. Worth a try or a decent introduction to the style.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden with a one finger white head that disappears almost immediately and leaves no lacing in its wake.

S: A blend of subdued funk and tartness up front, with lemon zest and some wheat notes.

T: Tartness is more apparent that the nose lets on, on an almost mouth puckering level up front. Funk blends with the tartness, followed by citrus and light fruit.

M: Moderate body with high carbonation.

D: Not overly sour and fairly refreshing. Probably wouldn't drink it again as there are other gueuzes I enjoy more, but definitely a good beer.

750ml into a wine glass.

A: Pours a clear, slightly dull beeswax color with a large soapy white head.

S: Floral, light mineral character, wet oak, lacto acidity, a bit of malty sweetness, honey. Pretty nice.

T: Taste is a step down from the nose. Somewhat muted oaky tartness, light wheat, green apple, a bit of vanilla, very dry finish.

M: Light-bodied, effervescent carbonation.

O: A good gueuze, besides the slightly muted taste.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

My first Gueuze. Wasn't expecting popping the cap to find a cork! Bottled on 2/2/12. From 12oz bottle into my Darkness snifter

Pours a hazy gold. Crowning, three-finger, white, soapy head dissipates rather quickly, leaveing behind very little lacing.

Zesty, funky, slightly florally. Nice and crisp.

Tons of lemon zest, floral, very tart in the finish.

Highly effervescent, tons of champagne bubbles. Super dry and crisp in the finish.

Overall this was a nice introduction to the style, but I have a feeling they get a lot better than this. I hear this style ages well so I think I'll grab another couple and see how a couple years in the cellar changes things. Recommended to anyone looking to dip their toes in the sourer side of Belgians. Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

I had this one on the patio on a warm afternoon in May. Seemed about right for the setting. The beer is a cloudy gold color with a firm and very stable head. The aroma is somewhat sour with a fresh and sweaty funk that could have been a little more pronounced (for my tastes). It's got a subtle graininess and a an airy, yeasty freshness as well. The taste is very approachable. It's somewhat tart and has a solidly bitter background. It's say that the sourness is pallet-cleansing rather than mouth-puckering. It's like a gateway gueuze. However, the beer is quite well balanced, which makes it extremely drinkable. Not quite as wild and flashy as other lambics, but this one is very refreshing and quite good.

Vintage 2007

A: golden raisin with three fingers of whipped foam. This falls to a quilt of the same. There are dregs in the bottle, and a little got into the beer, tainting it's normally brilliant clarity. No lace.
S: Spicy lemon zest, hints of hay and horse hair. Slight sweetness and wheat tones. Some raw wood.
T: Tart, lemons, some dust, Nicely sharpened zestiness. Hollow tasting. Some nice wood notes.
M: Thin as water with moderate carb and a wet finish. Seriously thin, unsually thin for the style.
O: This is a great intro Gueuze for folks. Mostly tart, one dimensional, none of the funkiness some of the more renowned gueuzes are known for.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

My first ever Gueuze. I have no idea what vintage, as I couldn't find the date.

Poured out into a flute, a bubbly golden straw, with very little head. It does look like a wine.

Sour apples and pear dominate the aroma. It smells acidic. Like the actual smell itself.

Very sour apples and lemon. It is so incredibly sour and dry, but yet amazingly refreshing.

Very dry, but the mouthfeel is quite watery. Lot's of acidity and carbonation. It is very drinkable, but more then one, and I don't think the tastebuds would be existent any longer.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

The brew pours a cloudy golden hue with beautiful carbonation that leaves a very frothy three finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is aromas of mould,dust,wet socks,fresh green apples and freshly cut green grass,it has a pretty light mouthfeel that is made for more than one of and has tastes of green apples,green grapes,kiwi fruit and finishes very sour and tart,overall this would be a great brew to drink on a hot summers day and even though on first taste its quite sour and mouthpuckering it does get better and easier to drink just couldnt drink it all the time,very intesting and different though.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

A - golden yellow, like a bale of hay, with over two fingers of frothy white head, there is tons of fast carbonation

S - the aroma is tart, sour, sharp and acidic, like slightly sour grapes

T - supersour at first, but not to a puckering level, a grape flavor, almost like a dry white wine, some tart green apple peel and lemon zest or peel, like biting into a lemon with all the flavor and none of the juice

M&D - super dry, sour and acidic, which can be a bit off-putting, but it grew on me, very lively on the tongue throughout the sip

375ml bottle poured into a flute

A - Pours with a nice aggresive white head which then stays around. Very strong carbonation is evident in this apple juice coloured beverage which is slightly murky.

S - A bit tart on the nose. Strong citric smell that assaults the nose

T - Citric tartness on initial tast like grapefruit followed by a funky after taste.

M - Fairly smooth which reminds me of champagne. The carbonation does not interfere with overall feel.

D - Overall not too bad but not the best I've had (Cantillon takes that honour). Having said that, I certainly would not turn my nose up at this one if it was offered.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

10/9/12 Have had in cellar 6 months -- It's time.

Removed the cork which gave a fantastic pop. Moderate pour which produced a soapy, carbonated head the likes of which I haven't seen. The bright white, wet, champagne head settled to a light finger of snow with minimal spotty lace around glass. Color is slightly cloudy / light orange. A shade lighter may be nice?

Nose is sour punch with touch of citrus, and some serious must & earth.

The first thing that hits me is the bright mouthfeel with some light sour funk and pleasant citrus. Some tart apple in there as well. The follow-through in taste is a bit lacking, but it's not bad. A nice dry, fruity, champagne like after-taste that doesn't linger. The lingering is often what I like about this style, and I don't get it here. I'm not sure if it's sugar or yeast, but I feel like my teeth are coated.

If there are "big" beers and "small" beers...then this is a "small" gueuze. But that isn't a bad thing per se. It was amazing with a fresh brie. It's a fantastic entry into the style and is a great drinker, but it's just not as complex as others.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a stem tulip.

Very clear golden colour reminiscent of a good quality cider. Starts off with a good head which quickly disappears completely. Very musty smell, tart apples too. More apples in the flavour along with a puckering sourness. An acquired taste for sure.

Light to medium body with plenty of carbonation. For me, a difficult one to drink - almost have to steel myself for the next sip.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Dark gold in colour with a bit of haze and a gentle carbonation. Aromas of wet cedar, sour lemon, and cherry pits. More lactic lemony sourness in the mouth, along with some mild woody astringency. As it warmed, a bit of a toungue coating cheese element revealed itself. Very drinkable and refreshing stuff, although perhaps it lacks a bit of the complexity that you'd find in some other beers of this style. Not overly farmhouse-funky, but I find myself wanting to take larger sips. If there were a "session gueuze", this would probably be it.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans