Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

11%

Ratings: 2,130 |  Reviews: 906
3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

First Gueuze. First sour period. 12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Light golden/yellow color. Pretty clear. One finger head with big bubbles, slightly off white and good retention.

S: Very yeasty. Smells like a sour hay. Very tart. Lemon. Light sour apples. Slight spiciness. A funky smell.

T: Sour apples. Very tart. Yeasty. Again reminds me of a barn. Very funky.

M: Very thin. Makes your mouth water from the sourness, which is rather nice.

O: Don't have the taste for this style yet. Don't know if I will ever develop one or not. I will keep giving it a shot, for now. As of now I don't like this style. Don't know what all the rage is.

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

I did not care for this beer. It poured a muddled peach color with a large white foamy head. The aromas were all sour, young grape, and herbal. The only thing I could taste was sour and tart. So much so that the back of my throat and gums felt like an explosion of some sour apple candy. Not even a hint of the tasty earthy, barnyard belgian yeasts I have come to admire and savor. The mouthfeel was overwhelmed by the desire to get this beer outof my mouth. Perhaps I simply do not appreciate this style, but if my description accurately describes what this beer is supposed to taste like, I will not purchase any more gueuze beers

3.39/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

5.5% version. Unsure as to whether it's import strength or a newer version.

The appearance is an orange tan, slightly cloudy, with decent head and retention.

The aroma is filled with funk, acidity, and tartness. I almost want to pucker after just the smell.

The taste is right there with the aroma. The only thing I'd add is that it's mildly fruity and the aftertaste is slightly sweeter. There's immense amounts of sourness to this. While it is tasty, the sourness is a bit too much for me. It really dominated the experience.

The mouthfeel is light, but full due to overaggressive carbonation. As soon as the cork came out and it spewed I could have expected it to be a bit like this.

Overall, this wasn't a bad Gueuze, but the sourness left it seeming a bit simple and lacking. Perhaps some age could do this one some good.

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%

A - Long lasting head; thin, but persistent

S - Great nose. A lot of citrus and floral notes to it

T - Fairly one dimensional, although it does have a great puckering sour taste on the back end which is what I was looking for. But, again, it just didn't have much else going on

M - Quite good; hits all the right spots, though none spectacularly

D - Very drinkable, though not diverse enough to capture my palate's attention for a second bottle

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%

3.42/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into two glasses, glass number 2 had an inordinate amountof floaters.

I was caught off guard with how tart this was, so much so it had me coughing on at least three separate sips.

Slightly spicy, funked up champagne. I had higher hopes for it, but not bad.

3.42/5  rDev -16.4%

355ml bottle. Dark hazy orange, white head diminishing letting only a ring around the glass. Nose is a lot of herbal, basilic? Lambic, not wow, funky, spontaneous fermentation, tartness. Taste is light acidity, dry, aftertaste that doesn't last very long. Winy texture, fizzy on tongue. I wasn't impress, but one of the best quality for cash gueuze out there!

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml green glass (ugh) bottle with gold foil-ed over branded copper colour pry-off pressure cap (which is itself sealed over an internally housed cork) acquired at a local CO bottle shop and served into a La Chouffe stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current ratings. Reviewed as a gueuze lambic because the label clearly identifies it as such.

Bottled: 22 Mei 2013.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a four finger wide head of white colour. Decent thickness. Not too creamy, but pretty fluffy. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is good - about 4-5 minutes.

Body colour is a clear translucent copper of above average vibrance. Appears well-carbonated. No floating yeast particles or sediment is visible.

Overall, it's a pretty standard appearance for a gueuze. I'm looking forward to trying it, but it isn't unique or special.

Sm: Faint berries. Maybe raspberry? Crystal malt. Fantastic lambicus yeast character bursting with sourness without coming off puckering. Not as bacterial as many other sours; it isn't loaded with straight lactobacillus; the sourness has a purpose and a defined character. Clean barley. Belgian pale malts. Golden malts. Light hints of flaked wheat. Maybe some lychee. Sourness doesn't seem too high; I doubt this will induce puckering. Hopping is floral. Apple cidre vinegar.

No alcohol is detectable. A pleasant, inviting, alive aroma of average strength. There's obvious acidity.

T: Sour green apple/apple cidre vinegar. Lovely lambicus yeast-induced sourness. Not so sour as to pucker, but enough to please fans of the style. Belgian pale and golden malts provide the unobtrusive, admittedly simple base. Pleasantly acidic. Some lighter notes of wet hay and clean barley do make an appearance. I don't get much in terms of bacterial character, but there is some light restrained funkiness, which gets buried underneath the sourness. It does have a nice lactic quality. I've never really craved funkiness in a sour beer anyway. The hops get buried beneath the lambic sourness (to style).

Balanced, if admittedly simple and straightforward for a lambic. It's a bit sweeter than I'd expect for a gueuze; maybe they used too much young lambic in the blend? I'd like more sourness; it's not intense to style. Cohesive, and almost gestalt but not quite. The lambicus yeast certainly guides the flavour profile, and rightfully so. It's a bit tart; I'd like more of that. Average depth and duration of flavour for the style. Below average intensity of flavour. Nice complexity and subtlety, but there's lots of room for improvement. Not a nuanced or intricate gueuze. I'm a bit disappointed, but it's pleasant enough.

No alcohol or hop character comes through. No spice. No off flavours.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with slight coarseness to coax out more flavour. Perfect carbonation; bottle conditioning has done it well. Refreshing and approachable. Not as acidic as would be ideal. Has a nice smacky feel. Great presence on the palate; it's very welcoming, soft, and comforting.

Not oily, harsh, astringent, gushed, hot, boozy, or rough.

Dr: Satisfying for what's probably the most widely available gueuze, but the discerning drinker will find this rather tame for the style. Sour intensity is quite low. I'm a bit alarmed by its current high ratings; maybe this has been better in the past or varies by bottle. Certainly a gueuze varies by batch. In any case, it's a very drinkable gueuze that any sour-lover could easily kill a bottle of. I might get it again if I'm craving a sour and this is the only decent offering at a bottle shop/bar. Might be interesting aged.

B-

3.44/5  rDev -15.9%

Reviewed 9/13/2007 (bottle):

Pours a cloudy yellow fizzy. White head, small bubbles. Kinda looks like champagne. Very sour aroma, like rotten something, but only the sour. Very sour taste, bubbly mouthfeel. Different feeling. Odd. Different taste if I drink it with my whole mouth versus just my throat.

3.44/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev -15.4%

A - A radiant orange, with a fluffy white head. Decent retention and lacing.

S - Lots of funk - damp basement, yet lemony and yeasty. Odd to my nose, but interesting.

T - Fairly aggressive sour and tartness, but not overly vinegary. Crisp and fruity with a fair amount of the funk from the nose coming through as I sip it. Just a bit of malt.

M - Fairly crisp and light bodied with medium carbonation. Dry finish.

D - One bottle was enough for me in a sitting, and it lacked something for me. Will try others of the style.

3.47/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375 mL bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance - The cork comes out with hardly a pop. Pours with very little apparent carbonation. Hazy orange body with a little bit of whispy lacing.

Smell - Vinegary tart aroma. Wheat and lemon. A bit of a funk to it, but not much.

Taste - Acidic body that masks any complexity, I think. Otherwise, there's some lemony citrus flavors and some wheat. In the back is a lingering sourness of the vinegar persuasion and funk that is pretty appealing.

Mouthfeel - Could be crisper with more carbonation. It feels a bit flat and it makes it feel heavier than it is.

Overall - I liked this the first time I had it. It was the first gueuze I ever had. I now realize how mediocre this is in comparison to some of the greats. It's still drinkable and even enjoyable, but not what I'd call a good example.

3.47/5  rDev -15.2%

This is my first experience with Gueuze, so I didn't really know what to expect (other than this beer style is sour). This version of Cuvee Rene is Oude Geuze, which refers to the more traditional way to brew Gueuze.

Uncorking the bottle a strong funky smell comes from the bottle, almost like bleu cheese. Initial taste is somewhat sour, but more so I could taste lemon and pineapple. Feel is very light, heavily carbonated, but has a clean finish. No hops taste whatsoever, which is something defintely missed, I thought a larger hops presence could help balance this beer out much better. I almost passed this beer by when going to my favorite liquor store, since it appears to be a bottle of champagne.

Ironically, that is exactly what I think of this beer, it has a feel very similiar to champagne of all things.

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottle 750ml wire caged cork - very exquisitely designed - purchased from State Line Liquor in Elkton, MD $??

My bottle is still unopened - this was tasted at the Brickseller in Washington, DC 02/07

A - As beautiful as an expensive champagne, very tiny bubbles and a well-established head

S - The smell is distinctive and prepares you for something other than ordinary - maybe, tart???

T - From what I have read about this style of beer as expected it was very sour like unripened green grapes and lemons

M - This also drank like a a very tart champagne (Brut) or sparkling wine

D - I am unsure if I would drink this often. I think I would need to do more exploration with Gueze in order really say if this has a high drinkability factor. I would rate this based on the expectation of a Gueze.

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

809th beer and this is my first gueze? I have no idea how to rate the flavor, all I know is I don't love it off the bat.

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

750 ml bottle. Pours a hazy light amber with a two finger white head that has good retention and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is some light funk, some cheese, lemon, and a bit of lactic presence, The initial taste is a bit of tart lemon. Then comes some funky cheese and some earthy notes. The finish a has a light tartness and a bit of funk. Light bodied. Low carbonation. This is certainly the best Lindemans beer I have had, but it is certainly a significant step down from other gueuzes. It was enjoyable, but the flavors are pretty bland compared to a world class gueuze.

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

served from the corked 750ml bottle. This beer is very carbonated. Pours into the glass and a large head immediately forms. The head is maintained and produces a lot of lacing in the glass. The smell of this beer is very tart and so is the taste. I assume this profile is typical among lambics, but this is my first one so I don't have a comparison. This is a good beer, I am just not quite accustomed to the lambic profile.

3.49/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans