Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Style: Gueuze

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

Ratings: 2,143 |  Reviews: 909
2.6/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured a rich golden orange with a mighty white foamy head.

The aroma was that of tart yeast and that distinc lambic mustiness. Subdued floral hops were present in the background.

The beer had a very sharp bite and was very sour. The carbonation added to this citric acid intensity which finished with a minerally bicarbonate taste.

Ok, I'm ending this review before this beer makes me sick. This is not a pleasant Belgian sour ale, but hardly drinkable in my opinion. Imagine Red Bull without any sweetness - you're there.

2.68/5  rDev -34.6%

Notes from the 20/09/2003 "de Lambikstoempers" tasting event...

Appearance: quite a beautiful geuze; golden, good clarity, lots of fine champagne-like bubbles, creamy resilient layer of off-white foam (like a dollop of egg whites!)

Aroma: strangely enough there was a noticeable raspberry/blueberry aroma to this one, but not much else

Flavor: disappointingly bland and watery; very light on the sweetness and all the lambic characteristics, short finish and a neutral aftertaste

Mouthfeel: thin and watery

Overall Impression: This might be a good "starter geuze" for someone who has never tried it. Sort of ease them into it. However, of the ones we tasted that evening, the Mort Subite Oude Geuze seemed a much more flavorful and balanced "starter geuze".

2.7/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance - Lots of sediment in the neck of the bottle. Very cloudy apple juice. Dark yellow body. White, very foamy head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Bitter, slightly stale.

Taste - Extremely dry. Cardboard. Medicinal quality to it. Like aspirin. Tastes like lemon or lime skin. Sour.

Mouthfeel - Very dry, a bit of a stale aftertaste.

Drinkability - Only poured about 4 ounces. Don't really even want to finish it. I'm not sure if this is just the style of the beer, or if I got a bad bottle. I'll be sure to re-rate this when I get more knowledge on this style. (edit) after reading some of the other reviews, I'm comfortable that this was not a bad bottle. I am now able to enjoy this more now that I know this is what it's supposed to taste like.

2.72/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Totally flat, without any complexity. Sour and bitter, but that's all you can say of this gueuze. Anyway I will give it a second try, because I hope that maybe it was spoiled by bad storing. Bottled in 9/2013. Opened in 7/2015

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

A- Pours a medium gold color w/ a very thin white head that quickly goes away. Nice carbonation. This is my first Gueuze, so I'm trying to rate it not according to my tastes.

S- Tartness, funk, lemon, fruit, maybe a little pepper in there as well. The sour smell overwhelms everything else for me. But it's not bad. Trying to be open minded.

T- This made me give the bitter beer face. Like sticking an entire lemon into my mouth. Definitely some funk in the taste as well. It tastes like a skunky beer. I know there are guys who love this style, but I don't get it.. Yet.

M- Somewhat smooth in spite of the tartness to the beer. It leaves a sour aftertaste in my mouth. Very thin feeling, goes down easily

O- I've had Rodenbach before, and liked it a lot. This, not as much. Maybe it's one of those acquired tastes, but I really don't get this beer. I will try again though- not giving up that easily.

2.81/5  rDev -31.5%

Got a nice introduction to sours from Ron and Jeroen a few weeks back. This was the vertical theme, and it was really cool to see what time can to do a beer. Good choice gents!

From a 75cl bottle into a mini-flute
Note: Drank a 2010 before a 1994 vintage bottle. Review is for the 2010. Comparisons drawn.

APPEARANCE: Pours a tiny white head that disappears almost immediately. A slight wisp and ring form. Golden orange in color, hazy, with medium levels of carbonation evident. A slight wisp remains but leaves no lacing down the glass. The 1994 poured much the same, even though the group expected it to be flat. Impressive after almost 20 years.

SMELL: Very mild nose. Almost nothing here. Some hay and musty notes with a touch of light floral aromas, but in general, it’s mild and mute. The 1994, on the other hand, was much bolder with way more hay and musty aromas. Much more interesting.

TASTE: Acidic up front for sure. Hay and musty flavors start out with some sour apples and lemon coming in there as well. A mild and lingering sourness remains on the palate well after the swallow. Relatively few layers in this one and quite mild. The 1994, however, was much bolder and more impressive, just like the nose. Much more impressive and flavorful for sure.

PALATE: Medium-light body and medium levels of carbonation. Goes down fine and finishes slightly dry on the palate. This one is more beer like and less champagne like, which I appreciated.

OVERALL: Perhaps this one was destined to come up short being put after the Drie Fonteinen. Unfortunately we found this relatively one dimensional and boring all around. Less flavor and less character made this one quite uneventful. However, the comparison to the 1994 bottle was extremely impressive indeed. It looks like 20 years has done this beer good, or perhaps the 1994 bottling was far superior. Either way, this was a lot of fun and I appreciated the chance to try a comparison like this. Thanks again for the opportunity guys!

2.87/5  rDev -30%

This is my first Gueze, hopefully it is a good experience

A--Cloudy, light orange color with a half finger of head in my 25 oz. snifter

S--Very funky smell with apples, pears, oranges, and white grapes creating a nice complexity

T--Totally caught me off guard, I may not be ready for this yet. Tart apples, pears, mouth puckering sourness. A bit of funky band aid in the aftertaste. I am not completely turned off by it but I just can't enjoy it either, maybe in a few years I may try and re-rate this if I become fond of the style

M--Thin with a bit of a tart aftertaste

D--Uh, just couldn't do it. Those who like Gueze's please read a different review, those who are unsure should beware

UPDATE: I am starting to become fond of sour beers, so I will be revisiting this one in the near future for a re-rate

2.9/5  rDev -29.3%

750ml bottle, dated 2006. Pours a light golden yellow with a thin white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar.

The aroma is old funky yeast and some fruitiness.

The flavor is mostly sweet sparkling cider and lots of apple jolly ranchers with a little wood and yeast. The mouthfeel is medium with sharp carbonation.

Overall, this tastes a lot more like a sparkling cider or champagne than a beer. I was expecting a lot more traditional sourness - this was very sweet and alco-poppy.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Enjoyed out of a 375 mL green bottle with a cork and cap, and marked with the vintage of 2012. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series tulip glass.

Appearance - So far, so good. A careful pour yields a large two-finger head of thick, sudsy, bone white foam. Retention is excellent, and it dissipates slowly, with significant pocking. Beneath the pillowy head lies a brassy golden liquid that is translucent, providing a clear view of the stream of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass to replenish the head.

Smell - The aroma is surprisingly nondescript, with some wet hay and barnyard funk, but very little of the tart and vinegar characteristics that I would expect from the style. There also seems to be a faint sweetness, which is surprising, given that I've read that this is one of the only Lindemans brews that doesn't get artificially sweetened.

Taste - Ugh. While the appearance was quite nice, and the aroma was rather dull, I'm just baffled at the scores on this beer, given the taste. I suppose it's possible that my bottle was not kept well before it got to my hands, but there just isn't much here. Generic funk, an almost mildew-like characteristic and an unshakeable impression of bile are really the only things going on here. There also seems to be just a touch of off-putting sweetness that is quite out-of-balance to my tastebuds. And there is almost zero of that puckering sourness that I love about my favorite takes on this style.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied and moderate-to-high levels of carbonation that provide for a prickly, effervescent mouthfeel. The finish is mostly dry, but again that odd sweetness lingers, providing for a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall, this beer just misses the mark. I'd read from multiple sources that this was Lindemans best offering, and if so, that is entirely disappointing. I had hoped to find a readily available and reasonably priced gueuze, but that is simply not the case. I'll stick to St. Louis Fond Tradition and Tilquin for my accessible gueuze needs.

2.9/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color. A foamy white head forms, but recedes fast. Some light sticky lace is left behind.
S: Some barnyard funk and hey. Light dough and biscuit aromas.
T: This is SOUR. To me this tastes like sour hard candy. I can't pick up any other flavors. Cloying sweetness.
M/D: Good carbonation. A light to medium body. The sourness really takes away from the drinkability.

Did I mention this was sour? I prefer Lindemans other gueuze to this (much more fruit flavors and depth IMO). It is still interesting, just not my cup of tea.

2.93/5  rDev -28.5%

appearance is very light and amber in color.

smells a little tart with hints of wild berry and citrus

taste is very intense, overwelmingly tart and sour. i could not palate the drink. i dont see how some people describe this with a funky oak taste, leather, (although i didnt taste that)and sour fruit and still enjoy it but to each there own.

mouthfeel was good, very carbonated with a sharp clean feel.

drinkablity is low i would not likly drink more than one.

i would venture to say that it takes a very sophisticated palate to enjoy this beer.

2.93/5  rDev -28.5%

I'm trying to get into these Gueuze type beers lately, as I enjoy sour food items, like grapefruit, and sweet-tarts. This one just didn't really fly for me. I may need to give it a second chance.

2.94/5  rDev -28.3%

Bottle shared by fly along with pint_size, and aceofhearts. Pours a glowing bright orange color with a very light, bright white head. Smell is funky sourness, and a bit gauzy. Taste is nicely tart, and yet faintly sweet, moreso than I remember from other gueuzes at least. Some oaky tart dryness and citrusy flavor to accompany as well. I'm not there yet, but I'm coming around on the style slowly. Thanks for sharing again, Alan!

2.98/5  rDev -27.3%

My first of this style, this poured a subdued golden hue with mild head and some lacing. Smell was very tart, sour and sweet, very intense aroma. Taste was very sour in front which puckers the lips and finishes with some mild fruity notes, for me the sourness just dominates the experience. I guess I'll just admit that being a freshmen BA my palate probably just isn't devoloped enough to appreciate this style yet. I plowed through a tulips worth of this one but I could't get anyone I was with to even try more than one sip. I can see the value in this beer however so I will definitely be revisiting it after perhaps a year or so.

2.98/5  rDev -27.3%