Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

11%

Ratings: 2,124 |  Reviews: 905

3.25/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter it forms a decent Ivory white head that falls to a thin coating. Light copper to golden in color.

whoa baby, this one is quite tart to say the least. Has some funk to it that most of us have come to love. Musky at times but the sweet tart presence washes away anything that comes in its path. Very crisp and finishes clean and a little on the dry side.

Notes: I liked it but it was just OK.

3.26/5  rDev -20.3%

375ml bottle into Cantillon gueuze glass. It’s hard to read but I think this was bottled in 2008.

A: Pours a fizzy burnt golden with a thin white head that quickly faded into a nearly invisible film.
S: Light notes of dry funk, a twinge of citrus, and good dose of gueuzey earth and straw. I get light notes of golden fruits, peppery spices, and Belgian sugar as well.
T: Hints of peach come through alongside notes of dry funk, citrus, earthy must and straw. Peppery yeast and spices bring up the finish, and the aftertaste is sweet with hints of lemon zest.
M: Medium body, drying mouthfeel, light sweetness, with very fizzy and bubbly carbonation. Bubbles feel big and prickly on my palate.
O: A bit plain in flavor and too spritzy for my liking, but this was an easy drinking gueuze with a moderate acidic bite. Worth checking out if you are getting into the style, but it doesn’t compare to the other great gueuzeries of Belgium.

3.26/5  rDev -20.3%

By far not my style of beer so my review may bang it a bit more than it deserves. Pours an orangeish amber into the glass. Minimal head and minimal lacing. Sweet fruity aroma. Astringent melony taste. Probably the best gueuze I have had to date, but still far from what I would buy. Perhaps my tastes are changing, yet again. I guess we shall see.

3.26/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle into a thin Lindemans pilsner.

clear golden orange with an inch of foamy, sticky head that retains well. tons of bubbles stuck to the sides and rising like champagne.

aroma is pretty weak. a hint of tartness, but dominated by a lemony, soapy-fresh aroma.

taste is better; assertively tart with some sour apple and lemon rinds. acidic, vinegary, slightly off-putting finish. lacking in character and complexity compared to some other gueuzes, with more of a straightforward tartness, but far better than Lindemans' other gueuze.

3.27/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a 1/4" white head that fades quickly. The aroma is average. It has little malt or yeast aroma. It's moderately sour with a light funk to it. The taste is decent. It has a light, pilsner malt flavor that's accompanied with a dry, musty Brett character. It's mildly sour with some horse hair taste. The mouthfeel is decent also. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an average gueuze. It's not as sour as it should be and the malt character is lacking.

3.28/5  rDev -19.8%

355ml bottled on 3 FEB 2012 into a flute glass.

a: clear golden amber body. off white head quickl towers up then fizzes out. no lacing left behind but plenty of champaign like bubbles rise up.

s: apple cider vinegar. maybe a little pear and some grass. a whole lot of funk going on in there, mellows as it breathes.

t: more acidic than anything. there is some apples and pears amongst a field of fresh cut grass.

m: very champaign like, thin body with alot of carbonation.

o: not a fan and probably wont buy again. does not compare to the few others i've had for the style. way too much acid without having a nice sour blend to it. aftertaste reminds me of acid reflux.

3.31/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with an amazing head. Head has awesome retention. No lacing. Smells fruity and a bit spicy. Taste super sour. Picking sour pear, sour apple and maybe some cherries. Mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation. Feels very clean. Drinkability is ok. Being my first gueuze I didnt know what to make of it. Its a pretty simple straight foward beer. It was good but I wouldnt pay 8 dollars for this again.

3.31/5  rDev -19.1%

A: Oragne/copper. Non impressive head. Appears to be heavily carbonated.

S: Oak and wine tannins. Fruity aromas mixed with a dank cellar. Very interesting and complex aroma. Smells almost of champagne yeast.

T: First taste is very sour, almost of vinegar. I find it a little overwhelming, but then this is my first lambic. I find it hard to detect any malt and hops. Not particularly pleasant, but not unpleasant either.

M: Light bodied. Leaves a sour film behind.

3.32/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene last month for $7.49 at Cork N Ale. I've never had this beer before, but since i like sours now I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on March 21st 2011.. Poured from a green 12oz foiled bottle that had a cork underneath the bottle cap and I poured it into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks nice, along with the foiled top it's got a nice classy look to it and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a nice hazy looking brighter yellow color that took on more of a darker golden hue when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- the aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by some fruity sourness being the first to show up, the sourness seems to be around the higher side of medium and the fruity aspect is very citrus like with a good amount of lemon aromas coming through. Up next comes a slight funky barn yard like aroma with some wet hay and grassy aromas coming through. From the middle to the end there's a pretty noticeable skunky aroma that I think might be from the green bottle. This beer had a decent aroma, but I could have gone without the skunky aspect.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by those sour fruit aspects that I got in the aroma and they impart a medium amount of sourness with lemon and other citrus like flavors coming through along with a slight apple aroma. Up next comes the yeast which proves to be much more earthier than it was in the aroma, but the wet straw aspects still comes through and it's followed by that same skunky aspects, but this time it seems to be just slightly lighter. On the finish there was a little bit of lingering sourness along with an earthy, lemon and light skunky like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but the overpowering earthy flavor and the skunky flavors really hold back the taste.

M- Not the smoothest, not too clean, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of high carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and as far as I can tell I think it's a pretty average example of the style and it doesn't really have any tastes or aromas that I think are really well done, it kind of falls right in the middle and that skunky and overly earthy aspect doesn't help. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, not too clean, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think half is a little more than enough for me and I'm glad that I'm splitting this bottle with my brother and there's no way I would want to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was pretty good and to me it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the skunky aspect and the overly earthy flavors, if this beer didn't have those it might be a lot better. I would buy this beer again, but I would make sure it's a pretty fresh bottle since I don't think aged was too kind to this beer and as it stands now I don't think I would recommend it. All in all I was disappointed with this beer, I had heard good things about and I thought it would turn out to be a good sour, but it just had too many off aspects and in the end that really hurt this beer. This just might be my least favorite Gueuze and my least favorite beer from this brewery. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me, but I hope to try a fresher bottle in the future.

3.32/5  rDev -18.8%

750 mL corked-n-capped, green champagne bottle with '05 notched on the label. It pours a mildly-hazy bright orange with medium carbonation and a 1" off-white head that reduces to almost nothing by the end. The aroma is acidic and lightly sweet with lemon, a mild earthy/musty character, and some phenols that are a tad fruity. It is light to medium on the palate with an equal finish, and it is lightly drying with a taste that is tart, bitter, sour, and acidic, with lemon juice and phenols. It almost has more mouth-puckering sensation than flavor. It's a bit difficult to drink if you're not in the mood as it is quite sour and bitter, but as far as gueuze goes, it's not too bad.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured this Gueuze from a 750 ml bottle. Poured a hazy golden color, produced a thin head, decent retention and left a small amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma consisted of light malted grain and tart fruit. Light in body, the tartness of this brew comes through first, very smooth mouthfeel, malted grain, earthy undertones and finishes dry. For me this is a great beginner lambic brew- Ive had some outstanding lambics, this done is simple, does the trick.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance-Light-medium gold color. Pretty clear with a slight cloudiness to it. Small,thin head that lasts to the finish. Good looking beer.
Aroma-Some good funky notes of barnyard and horseblanket are in there with slight fruitiness in background. No hop to speak of.
Flavor-Acidic but not very acidic. I like my mouth to pucker just a little. Sourness up front but fades fast to a seltzery dry finish. Barnyard flavors also end quick. Background of rhubarb is evident. High carbonation.

3.34/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours godlen amber with a large, quickly fading head.
Nose shows a mix of sour and sweet light malt, musty stables, faint lemon and kumquat oils. Pretty damn nice.
Flavours are dominated by the acidity initially but soon reveal sweet light malt, and large amount of that musty stable character and some definate cheesy notes. Too much barnyard/stable, otherwise it'd be pleasant and refreshing.
Carbonation seems low, especially given the style.

3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

I'm not the best judge of Lambics as I'm not quite a convert yet.

A: golden brown, straw bubbly head recedes to nothing, no lacing
S: intense funk, leather, sour fruit
T: funk, acid, cider, must and vinegar aftertaste
M: sharp, relentless acid, champagne-like carbonation is the best part
D: I wish that I could say that I was a fan of sours, but I find them a little off-putting. this seems like a fine example of the style though.

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%

Thanks to AwYeh for this one.

Appearance - Very carbonated with a prominent head that presents itself with force. A full glass of head here. Poured constantly between three glasses among friends. Awesome soapy lacing. Pours a vibrant gold color.

Smell - Well this is bad. I expected this smell. Very musty with hints of cloves. A slight lemon tart.

Taste - Surpisingly sour. A kind of dirty well-water taste. Yet, it is very fruity. Very acidic and filled with light fruits. Once I get past the smell and initial taste, I really enjoy this beer. A good balance of sour.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Slightly watery. A good balance of sourness. Quite fruity. Easily drinkable and light bodied.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans