Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by Todd on 09-18-2002

Reviews: 887 | Ratings: 2,070
3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a tulip.
A - A hazy light orange pour. A frothy bubbly white head that diminishes but laces slightly.
S - Funky funk, sour, very acidic fruit, then some spice and earthy notes end the aroma.
T & M - Sour tart funk right away. There is a strong bite up front that opens to notes of acidic fruits. The more you drink the more you pick up on herbs and floral notes in the middle and back end of the mouth. The beer is very carbinated and light with pop like champagne.
O - A good gueuze with some character and depth.

-Cheers

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

hazy pale orange gold (lightened orange pekoe iced tea) with a short lived agitated white head.

the aroma is very dusty/cement/mineral/stony with notes of pale malty sweetness, grass, flowers, blossom honey and some cinnamon-y spiciness.

the palate is very tart, almost eye watering (more so than i ever would have expected given the reputation of the flavored stuff from this brewery) but there is a respectable amount of malt to keep it quaffable and yet refreshing. there's flavors of stone, grass and bloomy white mold (in a pleasant way) with a lemony sour finish. an aftertaste of dust and must lingers for a bit. thin mouth feel is dry and parching along with a prickly mouth feel from the tartness. it gets a bit "milky" thick in the back of the throat.

it is not as funky as others but it is clean and refreshing.
this is much better than i could have ever imagined. at the price i will always have this on hand...
8/4/8/4/18/4.2

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Aroma is similar to a dry white wine, not really champagne like, more stinky... more Pinot Grigio. This has a musty taste, not too musty mind you. It is also sour, not too sour mind you. Basically this has all the refreshing light pleasantries of a traditional Gueuze without too much funk, without too much horse. Take from that what you will, I prefer a little bit harder a lambic, but this is tasty. I like that this has become more available in my area.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

.75L bottle into a pint glass. Bottled "11 Mei 2010."

A: Fizzy head quickly settles into a thin white ring. Good carbonation evident throughout the hazy, golden wheat body. Very little lacing.

S: Sour sweat immediately upon opening. Tartness evident, but moderate. A little bit of musty, dank scent, but not much. A somewhat ester-y character, vaguely hefeweiss-like.

T: A good amount of sourness, backed up by a nice, moderate brett characteristic. The sour apple beginning quickly turns into a mild, slightly bitter funk. It seems like there's a fair amount of wheat in it. A very normal gueuze, I think--perhaps good for beginners, but it doesn't seem terribly complex to me. This has apparently only been in the bottle about six months, so perhaps it needs more time to develop.

M: Good, moderate body with pretty perfect carbonation for the style. This really floats across your tongue when you take a pull.

D: As mentioned earlier, a good starter gueuze, I think, but having had both NG's R&D Gueuze and some Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze in the last month or so...this is only on par with the NG. I like it, but I like most sours.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

this is the stuff.
tinfoil on bottle removed reveals a bottlecap removed reveals a tiny cork.
careful opening with a wine corkscrew as you will easily break through the cork if you twist to deep. removes easily enough.
nice pop and fizz followed by a release of barnyard funk.

bubbles and pops in the glass with a symphony of fizz . the fuzzy head dissipates fast. beer is apple cider colored.

aroma is shoe leather fermenting fruit and lots of manure.

very fizzy and very sour with a funky dry finish and a taste that changes on the tongue longue after the swallow.

the aftertaste is where all the magic is with funky giving way to fruit and some malt grain no hops to detect.

this is for the adventurous drinker.

4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

A: Tan orangish with a 1 finger white head. A little haze with some yeast sediment.
S: Vinegar and unripened citrus fruits. Hint of barnyard funk in the background.
T: Sour sour fruity funk. It is like drinking orange juice right after brushing your teeth, only worse. I love it.
M: Again, it is very sour. Great carbonation and the funk is not overboard.
D: Pretty damn good for one of the most sour beers for the money. Once you get used to the tart flavors from the lactobacillus, it goes down smooth.
This beer is proof that Lindemans actually knows how to make a true wild beer.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz bottle ($6.79 @ Downeast Beverage in Portland, ME) poured into Allagash Coolship tumbler.

A: Pours a rusty amber with marmalade highlights. 2-finger head with excellent retention sits atop a towering cascade of bubbles and doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. Attractive gueuze.

S: Lemon, vinegar, faint spice. Sweet caramel undertones. Not particularly sour in the nose.

T: A blast of green apple up front. Tart, lemongrass-heavy center transitions nicely into a malty, yet acetic finish of caramel and lactic acid. Dry.

M: Like any good gueuze, highly effervescent while somehow coating the tongue. A pleasure to drink.

O: All in all, I was very surprised by this beer, as I've enjoyed exactly none of the Lindemans beers I've tried in the past. This is an exceptional geuze, leaning heavily upon notes of green apple and lemongrass. While perhaps a step down from 3F and Cantillon, it's a very, very acceptable substitution; especially at this price point.

A great gueuze and a pleasant surprise.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%

12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. This is my first Gueze, but I have had other sours (Berliner Weissbier and Flanders Reds.)

A - the bottle is corked and capped. After finally finding my corkscrew, i get the cap off and am met with a slight pop and the smell of dead skunks, but more on that later. No geyser! I rarity from my experience with Belgian sours. The beer pours a cloudy orange color, like shiny unoxidized copper. A tiny 0.5cm white head forms but it's gone by the time i walk the 10ft from the sink to my table.

S - dead skunks. Also, not your normal roadkill smell, this is definitely the smell of a skunk that's been rotting for a few days on the backroads (read: unpaved roads) of Southern Ohio during the summer. there's also a strong, strong lactic acid smell like a Berliner Weissbier. Hints of apples, grass, earth, and something funky other than the lactic acid (Brett?)

T - I am reminded of a pineapple horseradish salsa I tried a few years ago at the Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo. Upon first taste, the salsa was sweet, pineappley, but then there was a massive explosion of horseradish flavor that drained your sinuses and put hair on your chest. This beer had a similar thing going for it: at first taste, there's nothing, some sour fruit (apples, cherries), but then after about 1 second, bam! A massive buildup of a lactic acid flavor that essentially covers up, the grass, earth and skunk factor that becomes evident as the beer warms. There ain't no malt here. There ain't no sweetness either; the finish is ALL dry, very dry. Wow, this is sour and pungent.

M - I understand that these beers are force carbonated. I can tell. There's way too much carbonation going on here, but it actually seems to work for this beer because the tingling effervescence of the brew increases the astringency and pungency of the lactic acid.

D - This reminds me a lot of a Berliner Weissbier, but without malt and with fruit. It's not my favorite beer, it's not my favorite style, but I'll probably give another gueze a try one day.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

I did not care for this beer. It poured a muddled peach color with a large white foamy head. The aromas were all sour, young grape, and herbal. The only thing I could taste was sour and tart. So much so that the back of my throat and gums felt like an explosion of some sour apple candy. Not even a hint of the tasty earthy, barnyard belgian yeasts I have come to admire and savor. The mouthfeel was overwhelmed by the desire to get this beer outof my mouth. Perhaps I simply do not appreciate this style, but if my description accurately describes what this beer is supposed to taste like, I will not purchase any more gueuze beers

4.31/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

- looks very carbonated and bubbly like champagne
- smell very tart and tangy scents a bitterness and sourness as well
-very sour and dry but it has a taste that i imagine cider is supposed to have
- a little carbonated but it doesn't take away from the beer, wine like
-overall a great beer one that is complex but with a simple taste

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

750ML Bottle dated 8-12-11. First time for a Geuze. I see a lot of reviews for bottles that are quite a bit older than this one but this is what is before me so here goes;

A- The cork released easily with a nice pop. Some have described the head as Champaigne like but this has an off white, fluffy texture that stays higher on the edges. Color is a hazy medium gold. The carbonation is giving it a persistent foamy cap.

S- Yeasty and peppery. I'm picking up a hint of sulphur and salt from time to time and then as it warmed up there was some of that earthy barn yard funk.

T- Starts out citrus sour without the puckering astringency which surpirsed me. This is not acidic to my palate. The finish is clean and neutral, how do they do that? I'm not getting a lot of nuance here, might be too young. I can taste some musty notes on top of the sour but each sip finishes clean.

M- Light bodied but gives the illusion of being more full due to the smooth carbonation that inflates each sip a bit.

O- For my first foray, I am very impressed. I would love to try an older version. It went well with strawberries and I'll bet some soft cheese would be good too. I can't say how this stacks up yet so I'll probably revisit this after trying some other examples of the style.

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

Tasted out of a 300mL bottle in a Bruery tulip glass.

The Lindemans Gueze pours a honey golden color in the glass with a bright white froth, great retention (froth holds around rim of glass), & nice lacing! For the style, I'm very impressed with the head retention on this beer. The nose is absolutely amazing with a lemon freshness, subtle biscuit yeastiness (like a well made champagne), gala apples, & a powerful, yet elegant floral-like funkiness that all great lambics should have! On the palate, the beer is tart & smooth with balanced acidity & fantastically crisp, yet creamy mouth-feel. Overall, this is an absolutely amazing beer that I'm enjoying throughly! It might even be the highest rated beer I've ever scored! Needless to say, I Highly Recommend this beer!

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance is hazy but the color is vibrant deep orange with gold tones. Head is a small dense ring with good lacing.

Aroma is very floral with soft honey notes, complex citrus, straw, sweat/horse blanket/barn yard smells and a light clean malt note in the distance.

Taste is very complex with flavors, aromas and textures climbing over and under each other, everything is scrambling around and difficult to focus on. I don't mean that in a bad way. Overall, this beer is super dry (some would say almost chalky), acidic, fruity with all sorts of citrus, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, and a peach quality seems to be there too. This moves from Super dry and acidic to a soft and sweet honey note before you realize that the acid never left and clamps back down on the palate.

This beer is very light in body and super dry, not something that you can easily drink quickly. I know many people hate these beers but I love them, this is a real thinking man's beer!

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

cloudy pale golden yellow, deep to almost orang. a finger of large bubbles make a head that simmers out quickly to a thin covering. Looks like champagne in the glass.

smell is complex, wet hay, light barnyard funk, firm brett sourness, green grape, orange citrus.

Delicate sour flavours backed by juicy tropical citrus fruits, peachy, lemony, sourdough, raspberry.

light and fizzy bubbles dance all around. good body with a tart finish and plenty of warm alcohol even though low abv.

Overall a really fun and bright experience. Tropical fruits, tart but not overbearing sourness - refreshing in fact. Would be a top choice on a hot summer day to sit and sip.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 750 mL corked bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours with a deep gold color, actually fairly clear, substantial head formation with lacing as the beer is consumed.

S: Outdoor-like, somewhat of a farm aroma, with a bit of sour cherry and wood although these are lighter and definitely dominated by the outdoor aroma.

T: Reminds of sour fruit, especially cherries. Dominated by the sourness with a slight bit of vinegar-like flavor. A very slight amount of oakiness in the flavor. Finishes with a combination of bitterness and sourness, with a woody bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: highly carbonated, somewhat puckering in the finish.

D: A bit startling at first, especially if unaccustomed to this style. After settling in this is a very drinkable beer. Would imagine this would pair well with pungent cheese or a sour fruit tart for dessert.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 into tulip. Pours a slightly hazy orange-apricot with a white head that has a yellow cast to it, really bright champagne fizz sound. Dissipates quickly, again not unlike champagne. I mean, even the bottle looks somewhat like a champagne bottle.

The aroma is faint, the tiny, aggressive bubbles not giving off much of a hint of what is to come. The expected sour is there, some green orchard fruit, some citrus zest, a hint of yeast, and really no malt.

The flavor is of course why we came to this bottle. Bright granny smith apple and unripe pear immediately that enhances the lactic pucker we love in our guezes. I am reminded a bit of Petrus Aged Pale, but the orchard fruit notes really shine through in this beer. Citrus zest complements thoroughly in the taste, pretty much in all three phases. A touch of yeast in the finish with the green, unripe orchard tartness lingering.

Mouthfeel is, right, champagne like. This is a top notch brew. I read Garret Oliver's selection on Gueze's after this and wish it were the other way around. I definitely plan on a food paring with this beer in the near future.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%

355 ML bottle from Butch's in Holland, MI.

This bottle was poured into a goblet while listening to Know Your Rights by the Clash.

Pours a lightly hazy orange almost the same color as the label on the bottle.

Huge amounts of fruitiness, candy, and grapefruit on the nose. Sweet, light, and apricots also show up a bit. Reminds me of some type of orange/apricot candy I've had before but cannot put my finger on it.

A lot of fruit, tangerine and grapefruit, on the palate. Sour! Very light, very fruity, yet tart but it is quite a curious taste.

Very easy to drink and although I don't see myself buying a lot of Lindeman's myself I will highly recommend this to anyone trying a Geuze! Definitely fits in the style. Has to be one of the best in the category.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

750 mL bottle at just over refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. Label reads "Botteld in 2008" (sic)

A - Poured a thick two-fingered head, with a reddish-brownish-golden body. The brew reacts to even the slightest swirl of the glass.

S - Sweet, peppery, and funky. I get lots of apricot, lemon (and meyer lemon!), musky old basement, peach, white grape, and the slightest hint of vinegar. Of course there are the requisite gueuze smells that have no name.

T - What a remarkably long finish, even for a gueuze! Surprisingly fruit-forward, with apricot, lemon, and apple flavors stepping up the most. Deliciously sour and tart.

M - The flavors sparkle on your palate. Very effervescent mouthfeel because of the high carbonation in conjunction with the flavor profile of sour, farmy, and fruity.

D - Absolutely a joy to drink. This style is my go-to warm weather brew, and the Cuvée René does not disappoint one bit. Be sure to take your time with this brew, as it only gets better as it warms - that's why I start with a refrigerated bottle and enjoy the progression. One of the best examples of gueuze that I've encountered.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

I can hardly believe I had never tried this until last summer. Shame on me! The colour was golden with a thin head. The aroma was yeasty, spicy, doughy and biscuit-like. On the palate, there was loads of yeast as well as citrus and clove with a bitterness around the edges that had an essence of mustiness to it. I like it!

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

No vintage on the bottle so I think it's the new packaging which means it's probably pretty fresh. Appearance is great. Clear copper with a very nice white head that won't go away in my champagne glass. Smell is very musty. A tiny bit of a rotten smell in there and you can tell it's very acidic. Taste is also very acidic and sour - definitely mouthpuckering. It has a very clean finish compared to the other lambics I've tried, which leaves me a little disappointed as I prefer the tartness to linger on the palate. The flavor seems a bit muted and doesn't quite have that zing that I've come to love. It's just a tad too watery for my tastes as well. Extremely refreshing though, and something I could drink all night long. Perhaps with some age this will develop.

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured 2011 into Rogue Goblet (only glassware available at the time)

A - Pours a slightly hazy straw/golden color. It produced a finger width of white head that faded quickly. I was surprised that it didn't liberate more head and wasn't as effervescent though.

S - Barn yard funk, earthy, goaty, with citrus fruits(lemon and grapefruit) and slightly sour (like sour apple?).

T - Nicely sour up front, followed but a little muskiness and finishes off acidic.

M- Light bodied, crisp and with nice carbonation. Easy to drink. Again, not as carbonated as I would have expected.

O - I'll admit I'm not a Gueuze expert, but I really enjoyed this. It seemed nicely balanced between sour and acidic. It was complex enough to keep things interesting. I will definitely drink this again.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottle dated 1994. Pours darker than expected, a dark amber color, clear, with a dense, snow white head that lingers long. Aroma is hugely complex, with lots of musty character, some sourness, and very funky, with horse blanket and all you would expect from a true lambic. The flavor is equally complex, acetic and musty but with a balancing sweetness. Aftertaste is equally complex, leaving you wanting more. A great lambic for the true lambic fan.

3.23/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

orange and foamy out of the bottle, not untypical for the style. tart and dry nose, some vinegar. slightly complex gueze but not terribly so -- only average. tastes of lambic funk, tart and dry with some acetic qualities. scrubbing bubbles in the mouth, fairly light body.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Vibrant orange colour with a light orange head. This beer has a great feel to it already.
S - It has a tart, fruity aroma.
T - Very fruity, tart, dry, sour taste. Tastes like sweet tarts candy to me. Brings me back to my youth.
M - It has a splendid light body.
D - This is a great beer overall but I am not sure that it has great drink-ability for me. It seems like its tart flavour would start to rub me the wrong way after a few of these.

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

355 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with three and a half fingers of frothy white head; fades quickly, no lacing.

S: Smells yeasty and cider-y: tart green fruit and white wine, musty.

T: Tastes very tart; fruity but no real sweetness apparent; has a dry, bitter finish which I don't believe derives from hops but from the yeast; medicinal.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly light; this is very crisp with lots of fine carbonation.

D: It's funny, this is one of those beers that's greater than the sum of its parts. I would not want to drink it all night but still worthwhile.

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René from Brouwerij Lindemans