Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by stcules on 12-28-2002

Reviews: 498 | Ratings: 1,023
3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

Bottle Code LJ 27HFA; Sampled March 2010
A solid pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a three-finger thick, tan colored head. The beer is a rich amber hue with red-plum overtones to it. When held up to the light the beer shows a brilliantly clear, amber-copper color. The aroma smells of lightly oxidized apples, a touch of musty mushroom notes, perhaps a whiff of foot-stench, some tea like notes and a soft lactic tartness.

Wow, incredibly sweet it does manage to finish with a light tartness, but then it is the sweetness that really lingers on in the palate after a sip. Vaguely tastes like honey-sweetened Lipton's Iced Tea. My second sip has my palate adjusting to a little more balance between the sweet and the lactic tartness found here. There is definitely a cider like quality to this beer and again it reminds me of lightly oxidized apples. Despite being low in alcohol, the sweetness really makes this almost a sipping beer as the excess sugars really add some heft to the body. A hint of funky foot flavors are sometimes barely noticeable underneath the sweetness

This is an interesting beer, and definitely an interesting style as I definitely need to try more examples from the traditional Lambic brewers. Some more interesting funkiness and more aggressive sourness would make this much better and more balanced. I can't help but think of this as some sort of fruit juice; perhaps a mix of apple cider and sweet tea somehow. This certainly gets a boost just because it is Faro and I have had so few of these.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Review from 8/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a dark orange amber with moderate carbonation and a moderate head that dissipated quickly, no lacing. Sweet and sour apple and cherry flavors, little malt or hops. Finishes with slightly sour fruit. Light and refreshing, worth picking up when available.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a Lindeman's bottle into a tasting glass. A rich amber in color with a bit of head.

Smell: Aroma of Belgian candi sugar sweetness, tinge of sour vinegar as well.

Taste: Follows the nose, a tart sourness with some vinegar and sugar interacting. Ends up much like a good dry cider. Very sweet and very odd. An unblended lambic with a good deal of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp enough with a lingering acidity.

Drinkability: Interesting beer here from Lindemans. A rare style with only a few examples, all from Belgium. If you are a fan of sours, I would recommend this.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Inflatablechair picked this up in his recent travels and corked it at a recent tasting at Ditmier's house... Thanks Sam.... this is a style that I haven't had the opportunity to try before.

Hazy orange.... short lasting white head.. no real lacing.

Nose is completely unique to me.. lemon zest... funky .... I wrote down "bile and nasty woolen socks".. lite sweetness sorta pulls the lambic qualities out of the glass.

Flavor is not really as funky as the aroma.. brown sugar.. funky wet hay ... apple cider... foot funk.. I was expecting some acetic qualities, but they are no where to be found, instead just a real overlying "gueze lite" funkiness that is awash in the sugary sweetness.... very balanced really... I could sip on a couple bottles of this for hours.. not much carbonation... and it surprisingly finishes a bit dry.

I have no frame of reference for this, so... don't hate the reviewer.... hate the review.

3.5/4/4/4/4.5

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

I'm always down to try a new style, so here is my first Faro. Shared with zep9865 during a mini tasting. This beer pours an orangish amber in color with a light cream colored lacing around the glass. It is very clear and translucent. It smells like it should be tasty. It smells of candied fruit and has some syrupy raspberry to it. The flavors are very sweet but not too sweet. As zep said, my girlfriend would love this. It is so flavorful and full of sweet fruits. It's almost like a fruity soda and reminds me of cherry Dr. Pepper. It is a little sticky on the palate but I guess I should expect that from such a sweet beer. This is a tasty beer and worthy trying to knock out a new style.

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a deep cola orange, very mild bubbly white head, looks a lot like soda, hard to judge because I've never had this style before.

S: Minor notes of horse blanket, wood, sweet malt.

T: Sugary fruit, with definite notes of peaches, mild cherries, certainly tastes good.

M: Light-bodied, more sweet than sour but has a finishing acidity like sour candy. Too sweet overall for me.

D: At $8 this is a single buy for me to try the style, it's the only one around, but it was a lot like drinking a lambic soda, a sure fire crowd pleaser though.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Brown 25cl bottle, best before 25th Jan 2009, drank 15th Feb 2009, so slightly older than recommended.

Poured into a 'Mort Subite' flute (twice, it only holds 0.2 Litre.

No cork in my bottle, just a silver foil covering and a normal bottle cap.

Old marmalade orange in colour, with a huge cream coloured head (hence the two pours).

Vinegarous aroma, then farmyards, then marmalade with yeast and sour fruit.

Sweet and sour flavours, tart yet very drinkable. Drys in the mouth, strange and yet interesting qualities. Complexed and confusing. Sticky when spilt, I needed some water after the tasteing, just to cleanse my palate.

Is it too sweet? Most likely yes.

Is it too sour? Most likely yes.

The 25cl bottle was just about the right amount for me. Any more and I'd have started to find fault, any less and I might have missed something.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at the Poechenellekelder in Brussels.

A huge, rocky white head shakes side to side in the glass as our waiter hurriedly runs it over to the table. The body has two tones: a deep amber colour on top and a lighter, tawny yellow underneath. Some - but in no way complete - clarity. The complexion has a creamy look to it. Plenty of lacing, top to bottom, circle the glass like topography lines on a map.

A soft spoken, deliciously sweet aroma. It smells just like the boiling rock candy used in production. The aroma does fair warning of the sweetness that will ensue. No spice in the nose.

The sugar is felt in the mouth, especially in a "tooth-decaying" sense. The texture is very smooth and it is refreshing, but only in small quantity. With such sweetness the drinkability wears out after only one. Even the best Faros aren't that special.

The candi sugar seems to numb notes of apple and pear. There is plenty of sugar where in standard lambics there would be 'funk'. The flavour is very light, which I suppose by design is to keep the Faro enjoyable. The finish has an almost sucking dry finish.

The Lindemans Faro seems to capture the style quite well, unfortunately I don't feel the style is all that great. While Faros are suppose to be more "palatable" then other lambics, I would tend to disagree. I will grant them being more "agreeable" to the average drinker, but they certainly are nowhere near as exciting.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Okay, this is the one and only Faro that I've had, and although I'm somewhat familiar with the idea behind the style, I'm not sure I can completely review to style. Pours copper colored with no head, but it is perfectly well carbonated. Smells sugary, very slightly sour, and with a slight sherry finish. The taste is sweet and sour, with more candi sugar sweetness than there are acetic notes. Clean and light with the sugar coming through loud and clear, and although the acid makes an attempt to balance, it's not quite up to the task. I could see why some might like this sitting at a cafe in the sun, but make mine a little less sweet please. Still the flavors are clean and distinct and the mouthfeel is smooth and clean if sweet. Interesting- the sweet tea of beers. I'll continue to try other versions if they become available and see if others are more balanced. Still worth a go if you like light sweet beers, or want to try something new.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: rich tawny-amber hue with a thin finger of compact ivory foam. Appearance is quite nice.

Smell: aroma is tangy, funky, woody, earthy and sweet. It's got a little bit of that band-aid smell to it. This is my first faro, but I rather like what is being presented here.

Taste: bright and sour with a fair bit of sweetness. Funkiness and earthiness aren't as strong as in the aroma, but the oak character is still there. While I could probably stand this to be a little drier, this is still quite good.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a pretty good level of carbonation. This brew is fizzy rather than creamy, but I think with the sourness that works.

Drinkability: quite drinkable and refreshing; though I always tend to think of sour beers as refreshing. I am finding this extremely drinkable.

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

A nearly clear, honey-colored beer with a small white head that dissipates quickly and minimal lacing. The aroma is very simple and very sweet, sugary, with a trace of fruit, mostly light citrus and green apple.

Flavor is also very simple, disappointingly so, I’d say. Mostly just sugary sweetness, some light grain, a hint of sour apple. Not much in the way of tartness or funk. A bit boring and one-dimensional, and even for someone who enjoys sweeter beverages, just too sugary without much else to cut through that. Need a higher degree of tart or sour flavor to give it some definition.

Body is medium-light and carbonation is medium; could even be higher to give this more crispness and snap. Not nearly dry enough. A boring, one-note beer and a discouraging introduction to the Faro style. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at an overly sweet beer from Lindemans. Not much to see here.

2.45/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours a deep golden copper colour with an frothy head of white foam that leaves some egg-white lacing down the rim of the glass. Carbonation is exceptionally fine and extensive, but static, even though the body isn't particularly heavy. It's just really composed of tiny bubbles which is really nice. Yep. A very nice looking brew.

Lots of acidity and slight funk on the nose, with huge notes of oak-barrel dominant. Really quite acidic and vinous. The characters are very refined but intense - it's as though you can smell the fermentation going on as it is served. Nice.

Taste is initially confronting and it gets worse, but, to be honest, it's exactly what I expected from the style. The acidity is present, but there's a huge sugary sweetness trying to overwhelm it. Rather than providing balance, it produces conflict between the acidity and the syrup, leaving both seemingly unpleasant and out of kilter. The oak character lingers above all of this, providing the only pleasant note. Otherwise, I find this sickly but brash, a cacophony of characters committing genocide in my mouth. Mouthfeel is crisp at least.

I just don't get this beer. It's like lolly-water, or like a beer brewed for kids. I found it incredibly difficult to drink, given the sweetness and the odd acidity striking harshly off it. I'm not a fan at all, especially given the really quite pleasant nose, the rest is offensive. I believe it's just the style that causes me so much grief - this may be a stellar example, but I'm not inclined to try another in order to find out.

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a dark, hazy plum color with amber edges and a fizzy half finger head and that quickly settles into a thin ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

Syrupy sweet aroma with some slight earthy funky. Lots of sweet artificial medicine and candy syrup with some pale malts and dark fruits.

On the lighter end of medium bodied and very sweet with lots of artificial sweetness. Lots of candy sugar and syrup with subtle tart funk and sweet dark fruit. Hints of cherry, grape and other dark berries produce an overwhelming sweetness that lingers into a sling dry finish.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From the bottle marked L-H10JFA. Sampled on November 28, 2013.

The pour is amber brown with a moderate head that fades back. Very good clarity.

The aroma is more on the fruity side and by fruit I would say more specifically cherry. There is a mild roasted malt character and some sweetness but the fruitiness is what I'm getting the most.

The body is light to medium and fairly smooth.

The taste is also quite fruity almost like fruit juice character with a sour, tart bite at the end. I could take this in small quantities but it is not something I would go to regularly.

(Served in a flute)
A- This beer pours a warm brown slightly dense but clean body with a hint of red. There is a bubbly creamy antique white heat that last a bit. The gentle carbonation of microbubbles pop to the surface.
S- The tart and sweet aroma has some barnyard qualities and some cola note to it. There is a bright tartness and a cheese rind note to the finish.
T- The tart and sweet aroma blend much like the aroma with some dark barnyard qualities and some lighter cola notes. There is a bite note in the finish from the tartness and the sweetness starts to take on a minty quality as the beer opens up. The brett cheese rind note in the finish also grows as the beer warms.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a soft tartness and a big fizz that hits the back of the mouth.
D- The candy sweetness is a big part of the beer with brett and lambic characters just peaking through the background. The minty character is interesting and works with the tartness. This is easy to drink and I kept sipping hoping more of the funk would arise.

Thanks to kryptic for the heads up that I could locate this at the Andersons Market in Sylvania, OH. Shared with ksak and others (they know who they are, and they better thank me!).

A: The ale is an amber color that approximates a brown beer bottle. The ale is transparent, clear enough that I can see through it. A finger and a half of head left no trail.

S: The nose is sugary sweet, very similar to Lindemans' other lambic offerings without the fruit additions. A touch of funkiness reminds me of its Belgian heritage.

T: The faro is distressingly sweet. A sugary body of the pale candi variety dominate each sip. The ale takes on a cidery flavor, sweet beyond description. Par for the course for most of Lindemans' offerings. There is a funkiness below the candi sugars that is strong enough to remind you of its origins.

M: The mouthfeel is very pleasant, sweet and driven by candi sugars. The only difference between this and the fruit lambics is a touch of fruit juice.

D: Some may complain that this one doesn't count. To that I say, 'Nuts!' The lambic underbelly and candi sugar sweetness are a good one-two punch.

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

-Corked and capped. My first per style.

A: Orange-cherry in the glass shows a misty rise of effervesce though a good clarity. The head doesn't care to stick around, falling from a one finger statue in a matter of seconds leaving but a faint whispy lashing for lace.

S: Musky fruit of apples and pear juice comes first, along with a sweetness of candi-sugar. A touch of maraschino cherry juice comes on the trail.

T: Sweet and fruity, there's no denying it, almost unbearably so on the open. Think apple juice laced with a generous helping of candi-sugar. Musky fruit meets sickening sweetness. Hard to measure this in terms of style, my first so, but going by guidelines meets, even exceeds criteria, don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Sparkling cider with a tartness of green apples and perhaps some vinegar on the close.

M: Mouthful is heavy and syrupy, with a slick feel and tartness of green apples lining the tongue. Some crispness on the lips but doesn't translate to the tongue.

D: Not a fan in terms of multiples. Hard to imagine going back to back here. A pure diabetic shock. A long sipper with a reluctance to finish.

Final musings: being my first per style my thoughts probably lean towards more personal preference rather comparison per style vs. others. Draw your own conclusions but it is overly sweet which is never good for any style.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Picked up a bottle of this at Julio's. Never had a faro before but I do like lambics...this though was tough.

A - Poured into my Lindemans flute a crystal clear copper/amber with a fizzy one finger head that faded to leave no side lacing and a little halo.

S - Rather musty and sweet. No specific fruits just an overly sweet aroma. Like...super sweet candy apple sweet. Little funky as well as acidic smelling.

T - More musty and funky. More of the powdered candi sugar flavors and some light sour apples? That might be my imagination.

M - Very sour/funky/tart. Almost too sweet, very flemmy. Kinda weird.

O - Overall, this is a very weird style for me. Like someone poured confectioners sugar into an average lambic. Just too over the top sweet for me. Glad I got to try the style, but I wont be returning to it.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is my first example of the style, keep that in mind while reading this. Poured into long stemmed white wine glass, closest I had to a flute. Poured a nice medium brown/amber with an inch of off-white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing.

The aroma was mostly malty grains with a nice tang. There was an underlying sweetness that only showed up if you looked for it. On the tongue, that sweetness was more prevalent than the aroma led me to expect. The malt was there, as was that mild tang.

The body was decent, perhaps a bit thinner than I would have liked. Drinkability was very good, I could eaqsily have a coupler of these after dinner. I had a couple of lemon cookies while I had this one and they went together very well.

Overall, a decent brew, worth trying when you see it.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured a golden red with a fizzy head that died quick. A mix of tart cherries/berries with some minor sugary sweetness in the fruit, as well as a touch of the typical Belgian yeast strain. Very light and sweet and a fluffy yeast touch. Very little in terms of complexity but still a good drinker; a minor tart fruit taste like cherry with some sharpness from these tart flavors and carbonation and is well-balanced. Overall, though, I'd say this is a sugary sweet beer that is great for a dessert beer.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

355ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip sept7 2010

A clear deep amber with a thumbs width of light tan head that fizzes out pretty quick leaving a few patches of lace

S plenty of fruity vinegar with a little barnyard funk and some sweetness

T I pick up on a lot of strawberry among other fruit on top of what I smell, it almost has a bit of a off wine flavor that works well for some strange reason

M sour with some bite and plenty of bubbles and a lingering finish

D low booze and lots of flavor, quite interesting and a style I may need to research

It's always a challenge reviewing beer styles you've never tried before, but the only way to learn is to try. I'd drink this again it's something different to enjoy

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

12 ounce capped and corked bottle. Served in a stange glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold/amber color with an inch and a half frothy white head. Head retention is excellent, lacing is OK. The aroma is sweet and musty, and I can also smell some candy sugar, and somewhat tart fruit. The taste is very, very sweet. Mostly I can taste candy sugar, but there's also a little bit of musty funk and somewhat tart fruit in there too. The problem is after a while the sugary sweetness overpowers the other flavors in the beer. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's very smooth and also very carbonated as lot of bubbles continuously come from the bottom of the glass to the top. The carbonation works great for this beer. Drinkability is decent as it's not too hard to drink, but after a while the sweetness of the beer just gets to be too much for me. This is the first Faro style beer I've tried, and I'd like to try more in the future. I just hope they're not all quite as sweet as this one is. It's not a bad beer, it's just not something I could drink all the time.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Wow I never had a "fargo" before. I paid $5.50 for the bottle on discount.

A - Quite an interesting shade of brown. Very clear and tons of carbonation making it almost impossible to get the damn cork off! Spilled around an ounce forcing on of the hardest corks I ever encountered. Tons of carbonation fizzes to just a mild lace ring.
S - Smells of candies and some sour grapes/apples. Roasted malts? Cherry pits? Smells complex.
T - Wow such a strong candied sugar taste! I never experenced such a sweet balanced with oaky cherry goodness. I can pick up some musty flavors too so it has some barrel character.
M - Very light and not as bubbly tasting regardless of how much carbonation.

Overall I have never had such an interesting lambic before. So sweet. So balanced. Mild sour and some wood. Well worth the price!

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Light brown with an orange tint and a little bit hazy. Some fine, off-white foam appeared during the pour and lingered for quite some time, producing a lot of spotty lacing. Earthy nose, tart notes of apples and grapes, brown sugar, with a hint of nuttiness and sourness. Quite sweet in flavour -- this really tames the tartness that seems to be somewhat hidden by the sugar. Apples and brown sugar, sort of cidery and grapey, dry on the palate. Carbonation was light, but enough to lift the body and keep it from feeling dead. Overall, an interesting beer and one that I'd certainly have again, but a little sweet for my tastes. I'm thinking this would go better with food rather than on its own on a warm summer day.

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. corked and capped bottle poured into a tulip. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a clear pale sienna color with reddish highlights. Produced a nice off-white head that dissipated after a minute or two to bubbles.

(S)- Very dry with a funky barnyard hay/straw. Has a light lemon/orange peel tartness at the end. A light vinegar/lactic acid aroma.

(T)- A lightly tart yet very sweet profile. Some dry hay/straw in there, but is mostly a fresh, crisp, tart sweetness overall.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A bit sweet in the middle, but otherwise a smooth beer despite the tartness/funk.

(D)- An interesting style, however, I think I prefer the lambic/gueze styles more. The sweetness certainly makes this smoother and easier on the palate, but it kills off the sourness I like plus the funk as well. Good, but could be more.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans