Lindemans Faro Lambic | Brouwerij Lindemans

ABV varies slightly

Added by stcules on 12-28-2002

Ratings: 1,059 |  Reviews: 509
3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this courtesy of RiekerStarBrew served chilled in my goblet, probably the first Faro i have tasted.

A deep amber with translucent clarity and thin white cap with lace that clings in spots, retention is decent with fine bead. The smell is good, nice yeast odor, slight candy sugar aroma with a hint of wood and caramel undertone with some subtle spice. The feel is moderately high sugary sweetness level which is good for the style even if it is not my taste, semi-high carbonation with hints of yeast giving smooth body.

The taste is as the nose leads on, with spice caramel heavy sugar influence and mild oak flavor accenting. w/ subtle spiciness and lots of residual sugar on the palate as the sweetness lingers. Overall this is not a style I think that many can compare to base on the fact so few are available in the U.S., but this comes off like their other lambics -too sweet, the only missing ingredient is a fruit addition.

3.23/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

I was standing at Al's of Hampden trying to decide what to get to drink when he told me I should just get one of these because he was trying to kick the keg. I was not expecting a full pint of it but oh well here we go....

A - Pours murky brownish orange with a small half finger tall white head leaving very little lace down the glass.

S - Smells of musty basement funk, lots of sweetness, and some light salt air. Some light fruity aroma's are present as well but I can't really detect what they are through all the other things going on.

T - Starts off with lots of candied sugar sweetness slowly giving way to a mix of light fruit, dulled tartness, and even more sweetness. Some mineral like qualities creep in toward the end but the sweetness drowns them out quickly. The finish is, you guessed it, more sweetness with some light funk, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, slightly funk, feel that stays on the pallet for some time after consumption.

O - I had trouble finishing this glass. I have had a few faro's before but for some reason this one really got to me. I won't be getting this one again any time soon.

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this. One of those obscure styles that I've been looking to try.

A: The pour is a clear amber color with an intense levely of carbonation but surprisingly little in terms of head.

S: The nose is very musty with some odd notes of cork and bread. There is quite a bit of sugary sweetness as well, but I expected that.

T: Wow, I was really surprised by the flavor of this. The intense sweetness was the first thing I noticed as this beer is very sugary. There's also a hint of fruit and for some reason, a bile note on the back end.

M: The body was medium with a very high level of carbonation and despite being sweetened, still has a certain level of dryness.

D: This beer is really all over the place. I was not at all surprised by the intense sugary character, but the vomit flavor really seemed out of place.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Served in a Lindemans lambic flute.

When Tombstone showed us Wyatt Earp dealin' Faro, it looked nothing like this bottle... It pours an equally hazy and clear light amber brown, not unlike a lighter cup o' tea, topped by a finger or so of white foam. The nose has got some tea influence as well, along with some violets, pears, mangoes, raspberries, and some toffee. The taste is basically the same fruit, berry, and flower blend as the smell, with some extra framboise influence thrown in for good measure. In addition, some added sugar sweetness (redundant? I think not!) pervades as well. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a thick, sticky feel. Overall, as my first faro, I felt this held its own as a very tasty brew. I feel I should have more of these...if only I could find them...

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev 0%

Pours a slightly hazy reddish orange color with a smallish bone white head that slowly dissipates to a cap. Smell is sweet with candied cherries and darker pitted fruits but with a sourish funk in there as well. Taste is sweet with dark fruits, hints of caramel, some mild gym socks. Sweet turns to a slight tartness about mid way through, then leaves a long lingering candy sweetness. Light to medium level of carbonation, sweet sticky mouthfeel, medium body. This one is pretty good although I thought it a little on the sweet side. If this were a bit funkier it would be better.

3.72/5  rDev +1.4%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Appears a deep apple juice like amber hue with a bright white head that dwindles rather quickly, not as effervescent as the other fruit lambics that Lindeman's makes. Aroma tart fruit notes hints of green apple acidity and barrel aging undertones. Nice pleasant flow in the nose, I like it so far let's taste...super sweet compared to most traditional lambics, it's actually cider sweet hints of barrel aging touch of woody tones. More apple like sweetness even though I know there's no fruit added to this one just Belgian candi sugar. Nice underlying acidic notes but again it's overall really sweet dessert beer. Mouthfeel is medium body a bit of residual sugars, nice tart middle with a sweet coating finish mellow carbonation going on. Drinkability is decent if you are in the mood for something on the sweeter side.

3.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.27/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Ok seems fair to have a faro style after all this time. Not sure how this will go (a sweetened lambic?? I dunno ..) but let's try a starter one this seems like a good place to start. Poured into a tulip glass.

A tight off white head picking up some of the red body color with a consistency of tight soap, but sort of falls. Body is a wonderful dark ruby red and brown amber, clear, with some sticking large cola bubbles and some fast small rising carbonation in the middle of the glass. This looks great!

Nose is brett. Distinct funk and heat with a mild sense of sweet and sour cherry. Feels interesting kind of a wild balance no pun intended.

Taste is ridiculous sweet syrup cherry. Sugar dominant with a sense or hawaiian fruit punch. Brett and heat action is nowhere to be found in the palate. Candi sugars abound without a hot yeast like punch. Texture is luckily not too syrupy, even slightly viscous.

Overall well I guess faro is always this sweet??? I mean it is Lindemans after all but it certainly can work and doesn't hurt. I wouldn't call this a sugar bomb, but I am curious if this style made by Cantillon or Drie Fontinen is considerably different. We'll see! Pretty easy drinking for a low abv.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

25 cl bottle (tiny!), purchased somewhere in Paris. "consumer avant de 18 mars, 2008" dating on the rear label. The nose here was of orange, nuts, earthiness, and Grand Marnier liquor. A moderate pour revealed a minor head, next to no lacing, but plenty of bubbles continuing to rise to the top. More earth, orange, honey, sweet and sour with more and more sour building up. I also pick up some mustiness and minor continued funk in the finish. Wish I could get a regular supply of this in the U.S.A. Nice dessert/aperitif beer

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The appearance is a semi-dark golden hazy body with a one and a half finger white foamy head that dies within a minute and leaves thick speckled foamy lacing clinging to the glass. The smell has a sweet yet a decent dose of tartness, mainly cherry and somewhat sugary. The taste is basically the same with a cherry aftertaste and dry finish. The palate has a light to medium sort of body with a nice sessionable aspect to it. Carbonation is good for me, but this is my first faro so I’m unsure if this is good for the style. Overall, wow from me. What a nice after dinner treat, tart yet sweet, but balanced and not overbearing in any aspect, just really good and impressed me, I’d definitely have this again.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans