Lindemans Faro Lambic | Brouwerij Lindemans

ABV varies slightly

Added by stcules on 12-28-2002

Ratings: 1,053 |  Reviews: 506
3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Finger of off white head settles very quickly. Interesting deep amber color with excellent clarity. Lots of escaping carbonation.

A bit musty, some sweetness and the notes of candied sugar. Right at the very end, there is a familiar hint from the aroma familiar with lambics.. Just a hint.

A lot sweeter than I expected despite knowing that a Faro specifically has the sugar added. I just assumed it would be a little more subdued. It really takes over. There is a subtle malt and nutty flavor just below the surface. The sweetness just lays over this.

Thicker body than any lambic I’ve ever had.
It’s ok… I think the sweetness if heavy handed and too much. It’s my first Faro so I have no perspective on the aggressiveness within this example.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

3.37/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: rich coppery brown with suspended flecks; creamy off-white head that dissipated quickly, leaving no lacing in the glass.

Smell: It is what it is. This lambic has more in common with a well-ripened cheese than with your average beer. Musty, warm leather notes.

Taste: Surprisingly sweet front end with a strong musty sourness. Notes of toffee and old socks--strong Gouda flavors. Some raisin and plum. Nice sour finish, astringent oak, tannins in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Not a lot of carbonation, but acidic enough to be pleasant. Bit of a pucker towards the back of the tongue, slight throat-closing.

Overall: The wife says: Buy this if you enjoy the experience of walking down a cheese aisle in Europe. It has many of the same notes. Pair it with a dark, crusty bread. Not recommended with a meal. The husband says: Buy this for a unique taste experience and lambic flavor profile.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

This is my first Faro. Purchased at City Swiggers in Manhattan.

A_Pours a darkish clear copper with minimal head an a light wisp of a cap. There is some lacing despite that fact.

S_The aroma is bready and sweet with a faint hit of something i just can't place.

T_Initially the flavour comes across as nice and tart with apple notes. The finish is remarkably sweet however and is very different from how it starts. The aftertaste is very reminiscent of a candy Granny Smith apple.

M_Light bodied with a bit of stickiness. The carbonation is tight bodied and cuts through this well.

O_This really reminds me of a candied apple. As this is not a style I am familiar with I can't really speak to style but this is probably not something I would go running back to. Still interesting to try nonetheless.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

This one was interesting, Gave it a good poure into a tuplip glass and looked it over. The color was a a shade of brown with a very thin white head on top that faded almost right away. The smell of the beer was actually quite funky, I expected this to be on the tart side once I took a sip. The taste however was not tart at all really. I know that it's a Lindeman's product but even they have some sourness in them. This was surprisingly sweeter than all the others I've had from them. The taste of brown sugar was throughout the beer. There was just a touch of funk in there too. The mouthfeel was decent but nothing too impressive really. Overall this was something that I found to be quite interesting and I'd like to have more of this style one day just to compare.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Enjoyed in a flute

A: pours a perfectly clear coppery color with a finger of fine, off white head that lingers for a little bit, small amount of carbonation bubbles, leaves a ton of lacing on the glass
S: from the second i opened the bottle the scent immediately reminded me of a red wine, dry, sweet (keep in mind im not a wine drinker so im not the best with identifying wine scents but thats what it reminded me of) upon a deeper sniff i found slight tart and sour notes similar to other lambics i have had with nice tart fruit notes like raspberries
T: woah, sweeetness galore, like a cherry jolly rancher, cherry taste hits in the middle and lingers long into the end
M: medium carbonation in the beginning, slight tingle in the middle which is nice and i think it helps to bring out the nice cherry like notes, leaves the mouth sticky and dry
O: this was my first foray into the world of faro lambics and, to be honest, they are a bit too sweet for me but overall its a pretty good brew, could probably drink a few of them, another happy choice from lindemans

3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap over top a cork served into a Champagne flute in high altitude Denver, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are moderate.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger head of slight cream, pretty good thickness, and good retention - though the ABV is low. colour is a senitransparent copper.

Sm: Moderately strong bacteria, souring hops, and light funkiness - could be brett; I don't know. A strong aroma overall.

T: A light sourness is present throughout, with light bacteria (mostly in the second act), pleasant funkiness, and a sweet candied sugar finish. It's balanced well; I like the subtle crystal malts.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some tingly coarseness in the third act. Suits the flavour well.

Dr: Very drinkable for the style, of good quality and priced perchance a bit high - at least stateside. I'd have it again, preferably on cask. Its simplicity holds it back.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

A-clear coppery color with minimal head. Does hold a slight head while drinking though around the glass.

S-has that sour/funk smell I have grown to love but has a slight soapy smell in it too. good just not super good.

T-I cannot beleive this is a Lindeman's. Taste is not nearly as sweet as I was expecting like there other fruity lambics but was still sweet for what it is. I enjoy the sweetness though. Has a sour note on the back of the tongue and some cherryness, but not powerful at all. It also has a bit of the funk. I just brewed a batch of my own beer with Candi Sugar and can really taste it in here too but not too much in my opinion.

M-slightly syrupy which isn't bad for this style.

Overall, I will buy again.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Slightly hazed polished copper body. Two fingers of creamy off-white head displays great retention. Spotty lace is left behind. Bits of sediment stay nearly still in the body, taking away from the clarity.

Dry, hay-like and acetic on the nose. Tart white grape skins add to the vinous quality. The candi sugar comes through in the form of sweet bread, almost syrupy in nature, and does well at keeping the sourness in check.

The sweetness from the candi sugar is apparent from beginning to end. Syrupy in nature but not over-stated. Black currant juice and blackberries are how I'd describe it. A soft sourness appears at the front quickly before fading away and coming back towards the finish with a slightly astringent note. Drying qualities in the finish as well as soft bready notes.

The body is light with a lively carbonated character. Highly refreshing with its dryness accentuating this feature.

This marks my first Faro and it's left me satisfied. Simple, well balanced, refreshing, and very easy to drink. This seems like something I'd need to be in the mood for, and tonight I was.

2.55/5  rDev -30.3%

My first Faro and possibly last.

This beer looks and smells very well. Dark color, good carbonation, lacing, all the keys are here. The nose has sour elements, yeast, apples, pears, and other fruity flavors. Nothing wrong here! Then we get to the flavor...the beer makes mention of candy sugar, but wow this is way over the top. The sugar dominates the flavors and I feel off even assuming what the other flavors were supposed to be.

Hopefully more beers of this style will hold back on the sugar...a LOT.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%