Lindemans Faro Lambic | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by stcules on 12-28-2002

Reviews: 504 | Ratings: 1,042
3.33/5  rDev -9%

My first Faro.

A: Fairly clear brownish golden color. A thin covering of white head.

S: The nose is of oak and the underpinnings of a lambic with a ton of sweetness added. The sweetness really is overwhelming.

T: The taste is sweetness. Little bit of lambic. A touch of oak and some fruit as well. Gets better as it warms up and kills the sweetness.

M: Light body well carbonated.

D: What I like about this beer is what I get when I do not like the sweetness. I taste the Cuvee Rene in this and want that. I could see why people like this but this is not for me.

3.33/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 355ml bottle into my Lost Abbey stemware. It poured a brighter, ruby/orange color with a decent sized, bubbly white head to it.

The aroma shows a mix of sour, funky, tart flavors and some sweeter, fruity, candi sugar notes. The sour, funky notes seem a little overshadowed, but they are there. Not bad.

The taste shows a lot of the sweet candi sugar to it with some sugary, fruity, raspberry and cherry notes to it. I get some tartness to it towards the finish with just a bit of a sour funk. It's a little overly sweet and sugary though even for the style, almost like a syrupy soda like flavor.

The Mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being above average. Overall it was a decent beer, but not a great one of the style. The sweet, candi sugar and fruitiness dominated a little too much for me even for the style and overshadowed the sourness. I haven't had a lot of Faro's but I thought Drie Fonteinen Straffe Winter was significantly better.

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%

The first of the style for me, I had to seek this one out, as it is not readily available in my neck of the woods. I had been eager to try it, so I decided to pop one open last night and try it out. The pour was rather nice, with a caramel colored light brown liquid falling into the glass. Lots of lighter tones permeating throughout. A very interesting head of white foam formed quickly with lots of carbonation bubbling up toward the surface. Unfortunately, it did not last long and was quickly replaced by a thin line of white around the edges of the glass, and a small amount of side glass lace. There were still some small bubbles stretching to the surface that could be seen through the semi transparent liquid. Interesting look for sure.

The first thing I picked up from the aroma was the beautiful smell of funky yeast, wow do I love that smell, it really sets me off when ever I run across it. Nice sour apple and pear aromas start to come through then and are mixing in with a candied apple and sugary smell that as it warms starts to take over the profile a bit, but was still leaving behind the nice funky notes way in the back. The flavor, on the other hand, was an utter disappointment. Everything was awash in sickingly sweet candy notes. Now this was not terrible by any means, it was just a shame, as the sweetness was so overpowering that it was nearly impossible to really appreciate the apple and pear notes that lie underneath of it. Lots of honey infused flavors here now, really sweet. With some residual funky yeast, flavors were there if you really looked for them, but again, buried under caramelized candy like sugar flavors. The feel was light, and a little slick, with surprisingly a lack of carbonation, which I did not think, would be an issue. It was very light and airy though, but I could not stomach another one, as it was just too sweet for me.

I do not know about this one. I am a big fan of the sour beers, so seeing this one overrun with sugar disappointed me, but then again it is the style, just not one I overall think I will enjoy. No need to slam it, as I am sure it is a fine example of the style. It is definitely complex and well crafted, just not for me. If the honey soaked candy sugar type fruit beers is your thing, this one is right up your alley.

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: light chestnut brown, fairly clear for a lambic, lots of fine bubbles, tannish thin cap of head that fades to a crown

Aroma: berry-like (blueberry? strawberry?) fruitiness, wheat, plain yoghurt, leather

Flavor: brown-sugar sweetness followed by that lambic "earthiness" (this character that sits halfway between taste and smell... someone needs to name that sense!) and then some subtle tanginess, corky, a bit musty, the enteric character comes back during the tail end of the sweet finish, aftertaste is sweet green-apple

Mouthfeel: light body, fine-textured carbonation, leaves a slick feeling in the mouth

Overall Impression: I've always found Lindenman's to be too sweet and artificial tasting. Usually on the cloying side, particularly thier framboise. However, this is not bad. Since it is the first Faro I've tried and I'm still not secure in my "desire" for lambic, I don't really have a basis of judgement as far as the style goes. I imagine it would be a good "starter beer" for lambic newbies.

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%

A- A clear amber color, visible carbonation bubbles that rise up to a small white head that dissipates rather quickly. No lacing to be found on my glass.

S- Not familiar with this style, but I'm not picking up any sweetness from the candied sugar. Funk & sour apples dominate the nose. Smells like Lambic to me!

T- Faint flavors of Brett and then a wallop of sugar and sweetened berries hit you. The aftertaste has some sour apple/cherries and tart lemon, but it remains very sweet as well.

M- Sugary feel on the teeth and tongue. Body feels medium, soft carbonation.

D- I didn't find this easier to drink than Lambic, but the flavors are nice just a bit to cloying for my liking. I definitely enjoyed this much more when it was chilled. It's probably a good place to start for someone looking to try Lambic for the first time. I think a wine drinker may like this as well.

3.31/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a dark brown-tinged orangey colour, very healthy beige head, nice dense and bubbly, sinks slowly but great retention, leaving some pretty thick sheets of lace that cling to the glass. Looks very nice.

Nose is, wow, very different. Very sour with a huge champagne oaky aroma first of all, plus a big whiff of tobacco smoke and a large metallic aroma. But the overriding smell is a big whiff of stinky brie. It's champagne and rubber, very organic, and almost corporeal. It's a big WTF smell, really, but points for uniqueness.

Taste is very sweet and fruity, full of currant and basically just concentrated grape characters. A bit of a meaty character is produced because of that stinky brie mixing in with it. Some metallic hints towards the back, but really this tastes like stinky brie followed by grape juice. It's one of the most bizarre beers I've ever drunk, and overall pretty simple. I can't mark this down because of how fascinating I find it, but really it's bizarre more than delicious or outrageously palatable.

Quite fizzy on the feel, buzzing really, a little thin but an okay body for 4%.

I really can't fathom this, but I can drink it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a style I'm familiar with, though I had some ideas about what to expect. Smells and tastes akin to tart black cherries - maybe some mixed berry - with suggestions of brown sugar - almost tasted like some form of fruit soda. Tart, light, and fizzy, but not my bag.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

December 28, 2014

12 oz bottle, snifter

A – Medium to deep amber, about an inch of slightly off-white head with very strong retention. Some slightly reddish hues are also present.

S – Barnyard, horseblanket, more barnyard. The Brett is strong with this one. I could smell it from five feet away after pouring it into the glass. There is some mildly sweet-dark fruit, cherries, perhaps a hint of tangerine. No hop aroma.

T – Very, very sweet, sugary. I assume residual, unfermented candy sugar. The funkiness takes a back seat. Slightly fruity component to the sweetness, like cherry or apple juice. No hop flavor.

M – Very light carbonation, which means there’s not much to offset the high sugar levels, and this comes across as cloyingly sweet.

O – This is a difficult beer to drink because of the unbalanced level of sweetness, in spite of the wonderful aromas. Seems like it mind blend well with a darker beer for some interesting concoctions, but alone it is not great.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a big fan of lambics, and although Lindemans is a very decent brewery, faro isn't it's flagship beer definetly. it seemed rather thin and sour, deighner of a soda than of a good beer. poor smell, but the taste is too sweet too sour. not my particular taste in beer.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Amber-orange body. Nice clarity. Small, quickly dissipating dirty ivory head.

S: Caramel, apples, musty wood, citric sourness.

T: Unfortunately the taste is out of proportion. The caramel sweetness completely dominates that citric/woodsy lambic flavors unlike the better examples of the style. the presence of the apple flavors also didn't work for me.

M: Medium body and moderate carbonation were both appropriate. The sweetness became cloying after getting a fifth of the way in.

O: Not the most stellar example of the style. Unfortunately it's the only one that comes to the states, giving the style a bad rep.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

A - Caramel brown and thick. A fluffy white head fades quickly.
S - Wild yeast funk, and fruit punch.
T - Sweet and fruity, almost candy like (think jollyrancher). Sourness is their but not very strong. This is much less a lambic style, and much more a flanders red/brown style. They add belgian sugars to the brew to sweeten it.
M - very gummy in the throat.
D - A little to sweet for my liking.
Balloon glass, cellar temp.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

(From notes)

A - Pours with a half-finger of of bubbly white head that disappeared really quickly; semi-clear amber color

S - Stinky (but a milder version of stinky) cheese aromas; earthy; semi-funky and a little tart; not very sour smelling and no acidity; some fruit sweetness

T - Whoa; wasn't expecting how sweet this was. I understand that this is part of the style, and I have to admit this was my first Faro, but really not digging on this. Really sweet grapes and cherry flavors; and the funkiness of it is really overshadowed. Almost medicinal

M - A little sticky; lightish to medium MF; very muted carbonation

D - Not good for me; way too sweet and the mix with the slight funk just didn't work out well for my palate. Definitely was hoping for more funk

Overall, I hate to review this poorly as it was my first attempt at the style, but I still can't help but think that the overwhelming sweetness might not be the entire intention of the style. Will have to seek out others to compare.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours deep amber with a medium-sized head showing great persistence and leaving some lacing.
Nice tangy, funky aroma with some goaty notes, light fruit (pears, peaches) and some acidic citrus. A hint of cheesy aroma, but faint enough so as to not detract too much from the overall experience.
Very sweet taste, lots of sugary confectionery. Some goaty notes, very mild acidic character, and finishes with a just noticeable bitterness. The sweetness is a little too intense for me.
Light body and carbonation. For a beer this sweet the carbonation really needs to be higher.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

12 ounce capped and corked bottle. Served in a stange glass, the beer pours a hazy dark gold/amber color with an inch and a half frothy white head. Head retention is excellent, lacing is OK. The aroma is sweet and musty, and I can also smell some candy sugar, and somewhat tart fruit. The taste is very, very sweet. Mostly I can taste candy sugar, but there's also a little bit of musty funk and somewhat tart fruit in there too. The problem is after a while the sugary sweetness overpowers the other flavors in the beer. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's very smooth and also very carbonated as lot of bubbles continuously come from the bottom of the glass to the top. The carbonation works great for this beer. Drinkability is decent as it's not too hard to drink, but after a while the sweetness of the beer just gets to be too much for me. This is the first Faro style beer I've tried, and I'd like to try more in the future. I just hope they're not all quite as sweet as this one is. It's not a bad beer, it's just not something I could drink all the time.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

375ml corked and capped bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast...

Poured a nice coppery orange colour. Slightly off white head poured big and foamy with a pocked marked top then faded slowly to wispy covering... lots of small carbonation bubbles rush to the surface... lots of sticky lacing...

Aroma - Good amount of sour lambic funk backed with a light candy sugar sweetness, some vinegar notes, salty traces, sour apple and lemon tart fruitiness, some biscuit notes, some grassiness, wet hay...

Taste - Loads of (overly ?) sweet candy sugar, honey and caramel notes, lightly toasted bread, some faint funkiness but this is pretty much obscured by the sweetness, stewed apples, some light lemon...

Feel - Smooth and creamy... light / medium bodied... pretty refreshing when slightly chilled but way too sweet to be very drinkable. A 375ml bottle was almost too much to take...

Overall - Decent enough but just way too sweet... worth a try though...

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Slightly cloudy with very small head. Orange brown in color.

Smells... hmm... can't place it. Smells a bit fruity sweet.

Taste, the first few sips weren't doing it for me. My wife affectionately stated it tasted like sweetened tea with a barf aftertaste. Nice. The more I had, the better the taste got. I think my palate needed to get used to it. It almost tastes like it was in a barrel for a little while.

The taste is sour... a little like apple juice but with a bitter bite in the aftertaste. Not bad toward the 2nd half.

MF was nice after I got used to the way it feels with the aftertaste.

Seemed pretty easy to drink abut was too sweet to have more than one bottle. I had fun with this tasting and recommend that you try it if you see it and want a lambic. But, there are probably other, better options out there.

Hmmm... the barf aftertaste just hit again. Weird. I definitely wouldn't want to drink enough of this to be sick... man, that would be bad.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

I was standing at Al's of Hampden trying to decide what to get to drink when he told me I should just get one of these because he was trying to kick the keg. I was not expecting a full pint of it but oh well here we go....

A - Pours murky brownish orange with a small half finger tall white head leaving very little lace down the glass.

S - Smells of musty basement funk, lots of sweetness, and some light salt air. Some light fruity aroma's are present as well but I can't really detect what they are through all the other things going on.

T - Starts off with lots of candied sugar sweetness slowly giving way to a mix of light fruit, dulled tartness, and even more sweetness. Some mineral like qualities creep in toward the end but the sweetness drowns them out quickly. The finish is, you guessed it, more sweetness with some light funk, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, slightly funk, feel that stays on the pallet for some time after consumption.

O - I had trouble finishing this glass. I have had a few faro's before but for some reason this one really got to me. I won't be getting this one again any time soon.

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sampled this with some spicy Chinese food tonight. The beer looks inviting; burnt orange color with a quickly-diminishing head of very small, tight bubbles. Smell is very sweet and fruity. Taste is sweet and sugary, with a slightly tart-bitter aftertaste that does not linger. Soft, creamy mouthfeel.

Not great, but certainly not bad or off-putting in any way. This is my first time trying Lindemans' Faro, but I had sampled several of their other beers and have found them to be well-made and enjoyable, without blowing my socks off in any way. They pair well with dessert, or spicy food.

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%

Cherry red in colour, fairly dark, with a wisp of beige head that doesn't stick around.

Tart cherry candy aroma, with an earthiness underlying it. Interesting.

Taste is sweet, with some hints of the tartness and earthiness mixed in. Candi sugar seems to dominate though, this brings to mind a sweet juice drink more than anything.

Medium bodied and somewhat sticky feel. Moderate carbonation. Decent mouthfeel.

This isn't bad, but isn't really what I was looking for. A little too much on the sugary side of things.

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%

In the 80's, I lived on Martha's vineyard and there was a restaurant called The Brass Rail and they had a 'Round the World' club, which was just as it sounds. You got a card and you got a hole punched for every country you 'visited'. If you went all around the world by the end of the Summer, you got a t-shirt.

I remember that some countries had more than one option - Ireland, for example, offered Harp, and Guiness. I also remember that the only option for Belgium was Lindeman's Framboise or Kriek. That's it.

This was back in my college days, and we thought ourselves contrarian renegades because we drank the occasional Heineken dark. We didn't know what Belgium had been offering for hundreds of years. We put off checking off Begium because the idea of a Raspberry flavored beer was just crazy. We didn't know what it was, but after we tried it, we never wanted to visit a "Lambic" again.

If we wanted that, we'd just dink Champale.

So here we are, 25 years later and I'm marginally more knowledgeable and versed in my beer lore, and everyone is going on about the Cantillon and the Faro et al. So I'm trying to be open-minded, even though the more beers I try, the more I am defining my very narrow zone of preferences. So I grabbed a bottle of this at the Market District for about $5 to give it a whirl.

Poured into a Chimay goblet.

A. Reddish brown, translucent - clearer than expected, frothy bubbly head that dissipates fast like a sparkling wine.

B. The smell is reminiscent of sour beer the day after a frat party.

C. I understand and appreciate the nature of the wild yeast and the spontaneous fermentation, and that makes me want to be more lenient and respectful in my review. But this is a really sweet and sour drink that I am finding it hard to avoid disliking. The similarities to Champale don't end with my offhand joke above. if you like cider and fruity beers, I'm sure there are better and worse types. If you don't like them, there only worse and worse.

M. Mouthfeel is more carbonated than I like, but acceptable in a vinegary way.

D. One would be my limit for a night, and then only for dessert or after a meal. Not a warm-up bee, or a cool down beer - this taste is too prominent to compliment most foods - maybe it would do well with a sweet chocolate.

Seriously, it wasn't that bad of a beer. I'd take this over most over-hopped IPA's any day. But I'm not buying any more of these anytime soon.

3.26/5  rDev -10.9%

702nd Review on BA
Bottle to strange
12oz cap/corked

App- Pours the color of apple juice with a two finger pillowy top head. Big foam with very noisy bubbles. No cling really.

Smell- Like a nice gueuze just less damp and dry. A bit lighter and brighter than normal but still retained a little yeast and funk.

Taste- It starts out a little sugary but moves to a unique blend of juicy flavors and yeast. It really tasted like apple juice with flat coke. A very de-flavorized and commercial version.

Mouth- light bodied/ high carbed. Both levels couldve gone medium but was a little lighter so call iy as you see it.

Drink- Eh, for International beer day was all I had as import. Wasnt the best, wasnt the worst. A little too sweet, little unbalanced. Wont come back to this one.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: It's mostly clear and copper in color. Not a speck of sediment in the glass. I'm a little surprised by that. It's topped with a vanilla colored head that didn't stick around long. Very light lacing remained on the glass.

Smell: There's quite a few fruity notes that kick it off. Apple, pear, and light cherry. It smells sweet and loaded with sugar. Yeast is very prominent on the nose and really smells nice. That's actually its most appealing characteristic thus far. Smells a little grainy. All in all, it's above average. No better than that. It's not deep and doesn't have any standout qualities that jump out at you.

Taste: This is one seriously sweet beer. Very sugary and fruity. If you're into super sweet beers, you'll probably love it. I'm not. It's fruity and features scents of cherry, apple, and pear. They have a very candy-like flavor. It's a tad tart. Don't get me wrong, it's not a strong tart flavor, but it is there. There's a definite grainy quality to it. I'm not picking up any alcohol, but for a 4% beer, that's not surprising. It has a very sweet, slightly tart finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It has a light body that borders on medium. Carbonation is active, but it remains smooth. The feel is the most impressive aspect of this beer. Drinkability is very average. It's way too sweet. I'll finish the bottle, but it might take me a bit.

Lindemans Faro is above average beer overall. It'd take quite a bit of work to really improve it. The biggest problem is its overly sweet flavor. It's just too much for me. Perhaps that's typical for the style. I don't know. This is my first Faro. If that's the case. I'm not a huge fan. It's worth a try, but not much more than that. I'm pleased to try the style, but it'll be something that I revisit rather infrequently.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Not really too learned on this style but after reading up a bit here goes;

appearance; hazy copper with a white fizzy head. Dissipates to froathy rim around the inside of the glass with constant fizzy bubbles rising from the center.

smell; musty and sour, with hints of sweetness.

taste; personally didn't like it much but keeping the style in mind it was quite good. The raw yeasty sourness of a lambic was there with a tart bite in the finish. When it first hits the palate one can taste the carmalized sugars. The two flavors are well blended and represent what the style is about, I suppose, correct me if I'm wrong. A pleasant raw yeast hangs around in the aftertaste. Sour apples and a hint of bitterness would best describe.

mouthfeel; really too fizzy, like carbonated water but sticky and not by any means crisp.

drinkability; quite easy to drink but the sweetness can be a little too much.

In accordance to the style this is quality but I have a hard time even considering this beer, just taste kind of like a girly drink. The tart bitterness, although very slight, is all I really liked of this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Finally can check this style off my list. Sampled a bottle at Bohemian Biergarten in People's Republic of Boulder. Came out a crystal clear coppery color with a more orange hue throughout. Head retention was limited.

The nose had hints of sour and a fruity almost strawberry note. Maybe a hint of blueberry and a light herbal hint on the back. Was expecting more of a brown sugar/molasses but really nothing there. No real orange or coriander to speak about.

The taste is similar to Lindeman's beers. A more sweet forward with just a hint of sourness. The brown sugar/molasses comes out a bit more vs the nose but still light. A light herbal note on the back end with a more citrus berry backing. More of a muddled note than what the nose provided. Clean, no real off notes.

The body is moderate but finishes sweet. Carbonation is light but ok. Would like a bit more sweetness but glad to try it.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

This is my first Faro. Purchased at City Swiggers in Manhattan.

A_Pours a darkish clear copper with minimal head an a light wisp of a cap. There is some lacing despite that fact.

S_The aroma is bready and sweet with a faint hit of something i just can't place.

T_Initially the flavour comes across as nice and tart with apple notes. The finish is remarkably sweet however and is very different from how it starts. The aftertaste is very reminiscent of a candy Granny Smith apple.

M_Light bodied with a bit of stickiness. The carbonation is tight bodied and cuts through this well.

O_This really reminds me of a candied apple. As this is not a style I am familiar with I can't really speak to style but this is probably not something I would go running back to. Still interesting to try nonetheless.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans