Lindemans Faro Lambic | Brouwerij Lindemans

Added by stcules on 12-28-2002

Reviews: 500 | Ratings: 1,032
4.24/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a clear golden brown color. 1 finger of tannish head. Spotty lacing.

S: Tart fruits and spice. Apple cider vinegar... a bit of funk.

T/F: Tart up front... semi-sour dark fruits and citrus notes giving way to a complex dark sugar sweetness. Spicy... with coriander and lemon zest. Sticky on the mouthfeel... adequate carbonation. Finish is slightly tart.

O: Very tasty and drinkable. not much of a pucker, but enough of a sweet and sour combo to be interesting on the palate. Dessert in a glass. My first Faro beer and hopefully not my last! Best consumed in small doses only.

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

poured into a pint glass

A - dark orange with reddish tint, head is foamy and sticky

S - tart fruit smells, musty yeast and slight malt

T - huge sweet cider taste of Granny Smith-like apples, middle reveals a punch of the yeast, finish is ever so slightly sour to balance and complement. this almost tastes a little too good and goes down extremely easy

M - sticky cider-like body, nice and smooth

D - like I said, this is almost too inviting to put down within a few big gulps. no taste of alcohol, or even a heavy malt taste for that matter. a bigger bottle of this could spell a very happy night.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Faro… I like Faro. I cannot see why it is so hard to get beers of this style? This one, I found at the “Musseles Belgo Bar” in Budapest.

The colour is deep amber; the liquid is cloudy. The head is just a tiny white ring, leaving some lacing.

The smell is sweet and sourish with earthy notes, some apricots and vinegar. Maybe there is a hint of soap?

The taste is sweet with lots of vinegar, earthy flavours, canned fruit salad, wax chalks. The long aftertaste is fruity with notes of apricots, malt vinegar and brown sugar.

The carbonation is robust and short. The mouthfeel is very very dry.

A nice faro, and as one could expect from Timmermans, it is well crafted but not very complex.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

$ 5.99/12 oz bottle from Vintage Estates, Boardman, OH
Bottle at 40 degrees into tulip glass
Aroma of strawberries
Head average (4 cm), off white, frothy, rapidly diminishing to 3 mm ring and broken layer
Lacing poor – rare small island of tiny bubbles
Body pinkish-gold, clear
Flavor begins with a fruity sweetness which quickly becomes tart; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl. No Brettanomyces characteristics are noticeable.
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation.

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 4, Flavor 4.5, Palate 4, Overall 4.0625. Final weighted score: 4.225.
A very nice lambic, particularly if you like strawberries.

4.21/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a flute at cellar temperature.

L – Medium amber color with a head that billows like a champagne head upon pouring and settles to a 4-finger frothy, rocky, white head. Really nice retention and great patchy lacing. Clear with tons of bubbles.

S – Definitely Belgian dark candi sugar and a healthy dose of musty funk from the Brett. I’m only getting a little bit of vinegary Acetobacter, but the amount of Brett makes up for it.

T – Very sweet candi sugar along with a bit of acidity and tartness. Musty, funky, barnyard Brett appears mid-taste and lasts through to the finish.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied with great carbonation, a sticky and mouth-coating feel, and a tart, funky, and dry finish. Sweet sugar and some barnyard funk flavors linger nicely.

O – Again, a Lindemans beer that isn’t getting much love here. I think this beer is tasty, drinkable, and is a very nice example of the style. That’s pretty much all you can ask for if you ask me.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

I poured to a large, rocky head. It is amber in color. The smell is some funk at first. Then I get some sour apple. The taste is sweet up front, followed up by some tartness. It's kind of drinking sour apple juice. I like it. The sugar really sticks to my lips. This stuff goes down real easy, like a drunk chick on a Saturday night.

Sante!

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: pours a clear amber color with an orange tone. A short head falls apart quickly.

Smell: cherries, earthiness, and a sugary sweetness is pleasant. A hint of sourness is detectable.

Taste: heavy leaning of the cherry and sugary sweetness with a soft sourness at the finish. Definite earthy tones and a mild bitterness rounds it out.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp throughout with a bit of drying late. Long cherry aftertaste.

Drinkability: this went down quickly and was nicely refreshing. Enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: The packaging/presentation are first rate, classical black/silver labeling with silver foil wrap cap and cork. Elegant. It pours a clear rose-cherry red. I had to be aggressive to get my head to appear, so it was not as impressive as I would have liked, but it was still pretty good - and dissipates fast with bits and pieces of lace, a slight ring but next to no surface bubbles remain once it settles.

Aromatics: Yummy candied dark and stone fruits with brown sugar, with a hint of tart floral and freshly harvested barley wwwaaayyy in the background.

Taste: If you pureed some peaches, plums, cherries and then baked them together with molasses and brown sugar that is the only way I can describe the complexity in the sweet and savouriness. It has a unique and distinctive sweetness I have only had in a honey wine made here in the Okanagan. The smells doing a great job of teasing you - and the flavour that hits is beautiful and bold. There is a slightly acidity to it like a cider but enough yeastiness to keep it from being one.

Mouth: The carbonation is subtle but still does a decent job of tickling the tongue. Has a light syrup-like swish on the palate; a pretty good tang and zing in the middle and finishes very cleanly. No real after taste or lingering flavours to complicate the the next sip.

Overall: Intensely sweet, great for sipping, extremely impressive that there is no actual fruit and yet it tastes super fruity. I feel you can never really go wrong with Lindemans when it comes to lambics, they are my benchmark that I hold all lambics to. If you like sweet and tangy but don’t necessarily want a specific fruit flavour (like cherry, peach, black current) then this is a great lambic to go with.

Pairing: Being as sweet as it is, I would definitely lean towards a good salty/fatty choice of dish. Fresh large soft pretzels with generous dusting of coarse salts and maybe a spritz of hot butter and garlic or dipped in a side of hot spiked mustard. Another choice I would love to try with this lambic is a hearty Italian wedding soup, with plenty of gourmet salts added in the pasta and meatballs. Its flavour really invites me to cook with it - I think I might actually use it in lieu of apple cider vinegar in my next batch of slow cooker pulled pork.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

This was the first faro I'd ever tasted, and several of it's friends were soon to follow. This was close to becoming my favorite style until I re-tasted a Double Stout and remembered why I love them.

A: The Lindemans isn't made from an oude gueuze, but it's good none the less. It is very carbonated (probably force carbonated before bottling) and the bubbles rise quickly through the amber orangish body and up to the thick fluffy white head.

S: It has a classic gueuze sour aroma but with a slight sweetness to it. I definitely love that aroma.

T: Awesome taste. It was my first faro and not the best I had of the style, but the style itself is so damn tasty and this is no exception. It is sweet initially but with the constant tart sourness in the background.

M: Fairly light bodied but the carbonation makes it seem a bit heavier I think. Very smooth beer though.

D: I'm not sure how many I could drink in a single setting, but I will be sad to leave Belgium to return to the land of no faros. I will be looking for this at home.

4.19/5  rDev +14.8%

Kind of a weird pinkish orange. Thin head.

Wine-like, funky, sharp pungent aroma.

Complex sour, tart flavor. Fruity and sweet. Great flavor!

Medium bodied. Lightly carbonated. Smooth. Nice mouthfeel.

I'm just getting in to sour beers. This is one of my favorites so far. My first time trying a Faro. I like it.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this on tap yesterday and it was quite good. I was pretty conservative with my rating. Maybe the bottled version doesn't stand up to having it directly from the keg.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served cool from 375ml bottle into tulip glass.

Opened it with a bottle opener and then there is a cork to remove too! That's a new one on me! My first lambic.

L) Medium brown with a distinct cherry red tinge. Cloudy. 1cm very dense white head.

S) The dominant smell to me is that of cider. A bit of funkiness. I can tell that this is going to be a very different beer to those I am used to.

T) Fruity tang with immediate strong sweet balance. The sharp fruity element definitely has apples as per the smell. The sweetness is pretty much pure sugar. The balance is perfect though.

F) Light mouthfeel, easy drinking. Just a touch of bitterness in the aftertaste.

O) My first lambic and I really enjoyed it, will buy again if I see it. I understand that most don't have the sugar added to counter the sourness, I have a feeling they could be too much for me, but this is really great, a good intro beer into the lambic family.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%

Paid $6.75 for a 12oz corked bottle that needed a corkscrew to open. I pour into my Lost Abbey tulip to review.

Half inch fizzy off-white head. Transparent yet dark copper in color. Head only retains minimally on the inner rim of the tulip. No lacing.

Nose is of wild Belgian yeast, metallic funk, oak, barnyard and bacteria. Some mild fruits I can only describe as being somewhere between white grape, plum and red grape.

The sweet Belgian candi really comes through in the taste and really masks the other characteristics I noted in the nose. I mean, those characteristics are still there, but they become much more faint and hidden in the background. Apple and vinegar are noted more as I get to the bottom of the glass.

Mouth is light and comes off relatively thin. Carbonation is on the light side, but it still adds a pleasant fizz that makes this very drinkable. Finish isn't quite dry or wet, long nor crisp; just about right.

Very interesting beer. Glad I tried it, but for this price, I guess I prefer something much more sour, assertive and funky.

4.16/5  rDev +14%

Lindeman's Faro Lambic, brewed with brown sugar.

A: A finger and a half of slightly cream colored head. Mid-dark orange/sienna in the glass. Tons of flecks free floating in the beer.

S: A touch of maple, wheat, and tartness. A slight brown sugar note around the edges. Very faint banana peel and faint funk hint at the presence of Brett, maybe. Narrowing in on those, I do get a slight butterscotch pudding note, too.

T/MF: Mmm. Sweeter than I was expecting, and the brown sugar gives it a nice roundness to the overall flavor. Definite candy like flavor, though I can't place what kind. More butterscotch pudding and banana notes, but they blend in nicely. Just a pleasantly sweet, and overall tasty beer.

Poured from a 355mL bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

4.16/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured at 47°F from a 12oz bottle into a beer flute. Consumed on 24Feb16.
LOOK: Pours with a fingers worth of white foam that shrinks into a line within 1 minute. Dark amber in color with a high amount of cloudiness. Rising bubbles are large in quantity and both small and medium in size. Lacing is thin and subtle.
SMELL: Strong aromas of sweet red apples are backed by mild sour green apple, hay, brown sugar, and earthy yeast aromas along with subtle aromas of wheat and grassy barley.
TASTE: Strong sweet red apple and sour green apple flavors first come forward onto the palate and are immediately followed by strong brown sugar flavors. Mild grassy barley and subtle earthy yeast flavors enter next as sweet red apple flavors grow slightly stronger. Subtle hay and hints of wheat finish off the taste symphony as all previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Medium-bodied and moderately carbonated. Goes down somewhat smooth. Ends with a thirst-quenching finish.
NOTE: At long last, I have conquered the Faro. And what an amazing one at that. Incredibly sweet to the point of cloying. But I have an insatiable sweet tooth, so cloying isn't a word I would ever use for a beer.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Wow I never had a "fargo" before. I paid $5.50 for the bottle on discount.

A - Quite an interesting shade of brown. Very clear and tons of carbonation making it almost impossible to get the damn cork off! Spilled around an ounce forcing on of the hardest corks I ever encountered. Tons of carbonation fizzes to just a mild lace ring.
S - Smells of candies and some sour grapes/apples. Roasted malts? Cherry pits? Smells complex.
T - Wow such a strong candied sugar taste! I never experenced such a sweet balanced with oaky cherry goodness. I can pick up some musty flavors too so it has some barrel character.
M - Very light and not as bubbly tasting regardless of how much carbonation.

Overall I have never had such an interesting lambic before. So sweet. So balanced. Mild sour and some wood. Well worth the price!

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a hazy orange with a large white head. Lots of lacing as it goes down. The smell brings out some citrus, tart grapes and apples, and some malty sweetness. The taste is somewhat sour, but mostly refreshing sweetness. A little bit of earthiness. The body is medium and creamy; overall, this one was quite drinkable, and makes faro a style I'd like to seek out more of.

Notes from 3/9/15

A - About one inch of bubbly off-white head. Burnt orange body with golden hues around the edges of the glass. Good amount of visible carb. Decent retention and lacing.

S - Tart lemon and lemon rind. Tart cherry and red wine vinegar. Musty woods. Stale peanut shells.

T - Sweet honey and brown sugar. Sweetened lemonade. Tartness. Syrupy medicine. Damp, earthy woods. Tart lemon to more sweet honey.

M - Syrupy but not sticky. Low carb.

O - Having no point of comparison. Interesting beer but not really something I'd pick up again. Like the tartness and funk and layered flavors, but the sweetness is a little much.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a fancy bottle (silver foil top, cork under the cap!) into a schooner. No obvious best before on the bottle.

A - clear amber with an initially huge, fluffy head (2 fingers) that leaves behind some chunky lacing.

S - sour apple, yeasty and a hint of skunk in the background, slightly astringent

T - exceptionally refreshing: controlled tartness runs throughout the entire experience, sour apple, ripe fruit, with a hint of skunk in the background, some orange rind on the back of the tongue. Just a hint of initial sweetness is totally destroyed by the sour.

M - light with an explosive shot of carbonation on each fresh swig, sourness sticks in the back of the throat with a vengeance

D - quite drinkable if you can adapt to the sourness

Very interesting and refreshing. Not yet familiar with the Faro style of Lambic, but I'll definitely be researching this style. This beer is delightful if you're a sour fan. Not for the faint of heart!

[Very interesting reading the other reviews as I don't get the extreme sweetness - it's there initially, but for me is totally destroyed by the sour elements. It's not the bottle as my wife found it super sweet. Perhaps I'm a freak!]

[After a bit of research it seems to be the difference between a sip and a swig - if you're doing small sips, this seems really sweet; if you take a few big swigs the sourness just sticks in your throat and dominates. Interesting implication for tasting styles.]

4.14/5  rDev +13.4%

appearance: deep dark brown, no head retention

smell: lemon, toasty nutty malts

taste: balanced sour ale, plenty of sweetness to go with the sour aspect of the beer. lemon flavors and bitter on the back.

mouthfeel: medium, good carbonation, not over done

drinkability: forst faro and loved it. undertaed sour ale.

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My first Faro! Pours dark amber/copper with a nice white head that disappears quickly. Aroma is sour apple, vinegar, and definite mint presence. Flavor is a sweet and sour apple, vinegar, nice lingering green apple presence. This is really neat, and the minty smell is strange but somehow good. Easy drinking, lots of carbonation, and a slick mouthfeel. Good stuff.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured out of a nice corked and capped bottle.

A: Finger of head that dwindles down to just a faint ring. Body look like apple cider.

S: Green apples, sour cherries, sour yeastiness, hints of lemon.

T: Very tart with all the above attributes balanced pretty nicely with the candi sugars. Many sweet grains and nectar notes. Faro is a great style!

M: Medium to light crisp mouth-feel. A refreshing brew.

O: A nice sweet style. Push it up to "Belgian tripel" levels of alcohol and you'd have a great dessert beer on your hands.

Poured into a Lindemans flute

Looks like

Smells like: Leather, dark fruit such as cherries and currants, vinegar and some vague sweetness.

tastes like: Sweet and sour, the sweetness is rather generic and vague and the sourness combines with it to remind me of something like very sugary but balanced lemonade, just a hint of blunt bitterness

feels like: Medium carbonation, medium body a very dry finish

It's an easy drinker, lots of fun little nuances, nothing offensive about it. It's my first Faro and I'm interested to taste more of the style.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

These comments may show me to not have a beerophiles insight into the finer qualities of beer. Oh well. I like this Faro version of Lindeman's Lambics much better than the Geuze, even the Rene. This poured with a nice off white fine foamy head and a little lace. Color is a hazy medium to dark amber. Aroma is yeasty, tart, caramel, toffee, wine. Flavor's very similar. Nice sweet/tart interplay. Great body and carbonation. Finish is like flavor. I really like this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

Out of a bottle this beer was a perfectly clear, light copper color with a light, beige head. The retention of the head as a skim was fine and it left decent lacing. The aroma was of wild yeast, must and earth, sweet fruit and berries. The flavors were of berries, sweet tart berries similar to lingonberries, then yeast. Tart and sweet, complex yet drinkable, sour yet balanced. I wasn't dazzled but I decided I liked the style as a result of trying this beer. The sweetness was noticeably high on the overall scale of beers but the strong tart element really came through in the right way none the less. The mouthfeel was average, the body medium and the carbonation pleasant. Any Faro beer is novel and I would definitely recommend this one.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans