Lindemans Faro Lambic | Brouwerij Lindemans

ABV varies slightly

Added by stcules on 12-28-2002

Ratings: 1,054 |  Reviews: 506
4.19/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served cool from 375ml bottle into tulip glass.

Opened it with a bottle opener and then there is a cork to remove too! That's a new one on me! My first lambic.

L) Medium brown with a distinct cherry red tinge. Cloudy. 1cm very dense white head.

S) The dominant smell to me is that of cider. A bit of funkiness. I can tell that this is going to be a very different beer to those I am used to.

T) Fruity tang with immediate strong sweet balance. The sharp fruity element definitely has apples as per the smell. The sweetness is pretty much pure sugar. The balance is perfect though.

F) Light mouthfeel, easy drinking. Just a touch of bitterness in the aftertaste.

O) My first lambic and I really enjoyed it, will buy again if I see it. I understand that most don't have the sugar added to counter the sourness, I have a feeling they could be too much for me, but this is really great, a good intro beer into the lambic family.

3.84/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a 335ml bottle into a goblet.

looks really nice. kinda like an old ale. deep reddish brown color with nice one inch head. lacing is good to begin with before shrinking to a ring with light covering. there are a few floaties, which look like small pieces of cork?

smell is also good, pleasing mixture of sweetness, vinegar and a little funk.

although initially the taste was very good, same as the nose, as the beer warmed up, the sugar began to dominate more than i would like. still pleasant, but i cant imagine having more than the one at a sitting.

mouth was a solid medium. finish was sweet.

overall, an interesting experience, and once in a while this wouldn't be something i would turn down.

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Look:
Very foamy 2-3 finger head with a moderate pour. Very clear, but a slight haze. Deep copper with a slight red hue.

Smell:
Sweet, fruity, malty, vinegary. There is an earthy funk / dirt scent. Very aromatic with hints of wine as well.

Taste:
First off is a blast of many flavors! Bitter, tart fruit, sour, vinegar, and sweet all at the same time. Tastes like a mixture of wines: grape, cherry, apple, peach, raspberry, etc. There seems to be a bit of malt in there as well. Stays sweet throughout. Dries out a bit as you go. It gets a bit funky, earthy, herbal, and peppery at the end.

Feel:
Flattens quickly and not much fizz after the initial pour. Flat on the tongue and slick/oily. Not very interesting in the feel category.

Overall:
Very rich and flavorful Lambic. There are a lot of complex flavors in there. This is a definite purchase again.

3.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.89/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Lambics are problematic.
They are sour, so I can never drink much... and they usually come in large bottles. So, it is best to drink them with a friend... but so few of my friends have this acquired taste and end up taking only a sip... leaving the rest for me. I drink it and tell myself that no more Lambics for a year.
But I wonder: maybe I could taste more lambics if I found one sweeter.
Enter Faro.
This probably has a little too much brewer's sugar; but it was a small bottle. And I enjoyed it.

Reviewed in "Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium".

2.91/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.39/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a rather stunning autumn brown with a fairly modest head. The aroma offers up apple cider vinegar, baked apple, nutmeg, cinnamon, thyme, and sage. The flavor starts of we sweet brown sugar, cinnamon, and baked apple, then turns to tart green and and vinegar, with herbal thyme and sage peeking through at the end. The mouthfeel is a touch syrupy, with solid carbonation to cut through the sweetness. Overall I found this a very different and enjoyable beer - neither too challenging nor too boring. I would definitely drink this again, possibly with ham and pineapple.

4.31/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

4.16/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured at 47°F from a 12oz bottle into a beer flute. Consumed on 24Feb16.
LOOK: Pours with a fingers worth of white foam that shrinks into a line within 1 minute. Dark amber in color with a high amount of cloudiness. Rising bubbles are large in quantity and both small and medium in size. Lacing is thin and subtle.
SMELL: Strong aromas of sweet red apples are backed by mild sour green apple, hay, brown sugar, and earthy yeast aromas along with subtle aromas of wheat and grassy barley.
TASTE: Strong sweet red apple and sour green apple flavors first come forward onto the palate and are immediately followed by strong brown sugar flavors. Mild grassy barley and subtle earthy yeast flavors enter next as sweet red apple flavors grow slightly stronger. Subtle hay and hints of wheat finish off the taste symphony as all previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Medium-bodied and moderately carbonated. Goes down somewhat smooth. Ends with a thirst-quenching finish.
NOTE: At long last, I have conquered the Faro. And what an amazing one at that. Incredibly sweet to the point of cloying. But I have an insatiable sweet tooth, so cloying isn't a word I would ever use for a beer.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Right. here goes. half bottle into a snifter.

L - Pours golden honey brown with an effervescent white head that dissipates quickly
S - odd mix of lambic + caramel. I didn't think I could smell sweetness, but damn, this smells sticky
T - Very sweet up front. Some acid and balance, but overpowered by a cloying candy finish
F - sticky but light - puts me in mind of a trippel

Overall an interesting beer, but not a style I will ever visit again. I am trying to be fair based on style descriptions, but frankly the sweetness is ruining what I know to be a great base lambic.
Reading up on this beer, it has Stevia in it apparently, so they are going for sticky sweet... If you like candy sweetness, then you might enjoy, but too much for me I'm afraid.

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%

3.96/5  rDev +8.2%

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Impressive cork and foil neck on the bottle! The beer has a lovely head that starts out fizzy in both sound and look but it becomes dense and settles into a grouping of bubbles that looks like fine soap....the coloration of the beer is hazy and brown with tinges of gold intertwined. Carbonation appears to be somewhat heavy and the lacing is impressive with lots of small patches of bubbly goodness sticking to the side of the glass!

S- Smells of Worcestershire sauce!....just a little more vinegar and wild game/funk. The wild yeasts are in action! Sour apples perhaps....slight peppery spice....interesting indeed!

T- This has a wild flavor that is quite tart/sour...of granny smith apple, vinegar acidity, soy sauce, funky yeast and some caramel/toffee sweetness.....almost like a sour candy.....apple cider in similarity as well!

M/O- Light/medium in body and the carbonation is palate scrubbing...this is most definitely a refresher that I don't think is for just anybody but it is uniquely good! Would also be a great cooking beer or additive to a recipe and while I don't think it's a highly drinkable brew, it's something that I could go for every now and then! Do try this!

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Part of bottle share. Interesting and rare style

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a cylindrical beer glass. It pours a hazy amber color with a fluffy, bright white head and minimal lacing. It smells of vinegar and grassy hops. The taste is syrupy sweet citrus. It is both sour and slightly bitter at the finish. To me, it is too sweet - almost like a cough syrup. It has a full body, again almost syrupy, with light carbonation and a low ABV of 4.2% Overall, it's an interesting beer but too sweet to my taste. I could understand how some could enjoy this style but it just isn't for me.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans