Overbite IPA | Old Forge Brewing Company

Old Forge Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
oldforgebrewingcompany.com

Style: American IPA

An American IPA with big malt character giving perfect balance to the abundance of Pacific Northwest hops. Hopheads won't be disappointed. This beer was released for our 1st Anniversary celebration at the pub, then quickly became a year round favorite (cans and draft) 7.5% alc by vol. and ~75 IBU's

Initial release: 12/5/2009

Added by gestyr on 12-30-2010

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served: On-tap in a frosty-chilled goblet.

Golden caramel in color - slightly cloudy.

Decent greeting of hop aroma, somewhat piney.

Solidly hoppy IPA, but not as bitter as I expected. Crisp with a flavor that doesn't especially linger. Good choice for a not-wussy IPA. Would certainly have again, but didn't rock my hop world. :)

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%

I had picked this up on a recent visit to The Foodery (Northern Liberties) and put it aside while emptying bottles that had built up, but it is time to get back to The CANQuest (TM).

From the CAN: "We strive to honor personal craftsmanship. Our handcrafted beer is made in small batches to ensure quality and peak freshness. Brewed and CANned by Old Forge Brewing Company, Danville, PA."; "Overbite India Pale Ale is an Ameri[CAN] IPA with bug malt character giving perfect balance to the abundance of Pacific Northwest hops."; "Forging Better Beer".

The Crack was music to my ears and the inverted Glug was a sight to behold. I created a finger of thick, tawny head with good retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was minty, like winter in an evergreen forest. Listen, do you hear it?!? It's a screeching goldang monkey and it's on my back! I am not a hophead, I am a hop addict and beers like this only feed my addiction. Mouthfeel was medium but the searing bite of the hops was working to scrub away all of the weak and dead or dying taste buds on my tongue so that I could more thoroughly enjoy the taste. My heart was thumping like it wanted to burst from my chest and I covered my ears to try and drown out the monkey's howling. It began to worm its way into my tongue like a drop of hydrofluoric acid. I was reaching for a pair of pliers with which to extract my burning tongue from my head when suddenly a rush of euphoria hit me like an oncoming train and I fell over backwards from my chair. I felt the monkey crush underneath my weight and I took a deep breath. It was like a menthol inhaler. What malt?!? This was hops, baby! The finish was cool and minty and I decided to forgo mouthwash this evening. Let's do this again real soon.

I almost forgot to mention - another word for an overbite is "a malocclusion" and there was nothing mal- about this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

4.36/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-yellow gold with an almost complete lack of head which I find disturbing.

S-really strong scent of hops with a mix of citrus and herbs. Fairly malty. Good scent.

T-comes in with a taste of herbs and hops and grains. It's a strong flavor which I like. It's a straightforward flavor with out any sub flavors and lasts in to a nice long lasting after-taste.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a creamy finish

O-this is a pretty fair IPA. I'm surprised its scores aren't higher. The flavors could be more hoppy and fresh. There could be more bitterness. But it's drinkability is key here. I could have many cans of this.

2.93/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Rustic orange with a fair clarity and a medium sense of effervesce within. The head is foamy and large, peanut shell colored, porous, with a fair rate of retention. Large, spongy dabs of lace with a modest coverage. Good overall.

S: Sweet sugary grains, sugar coated fresh grapefruit. Citrus, stalky with a fair strength.

T: Flavor is sweet upfront, small toasted nature, turning to aa musky, old stale citrus of hops. Seems to be turning. The sweetness in the beginning is almost intoreable. The hops do seem to get a little better and tolerable with depth, but honestly seem to be a bit sour and old, stale, with a very flat line of complexity.

M: Ok carbonation, some alcohol laced stale citrus/lime with a warmth of alcohol.

O: Overall feels a bit old, musky, overally sweet at first, with a coarse helping of hops that dont seem to blend well, very rough around the edges, not particularly tasty, just rough. Pass, no bottling info, maybe an old can? Could be better on draft? Roll the dice on a single, dont bet on a sixpack, craps.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%