Darkside Black IPA | Propeller Brewery

Added by lgmol on 03-23-2013

Reviews by lgmol:
4.26/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

The first beer in Propeller's One Hit Wonder series, available only on tap at the brewery and in growlers. 70 IBUs according to the Propeller website.

Appearance: Very dark brown but not quite black. I can just barely see my fingers on the other side of the glass through the beer. A large tan head that hangs around for a little while and sticks to the side of the glass. A thin layer remains until the glass is drained.

Smell: Largely hops and citrus, with a subtle hint of roasted malts.

Taste: Nice balance between the hops and the sweet chocolate finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Pretty much what you would expect from this style, but I might have liked it to be a little bit thicker.

Overall: I enjoyed this 1L growler a lot. The hops were prominent, but didn't completely hide the chocolate and roasted malt flavours. This is exactly what I like in a black IPA. I look forward to trying more from the One Hit Wonder series.

Darkside Black IPA from Propeller Brewery