Grand Baltic Porter | Garrison Brewing Company

Grand Baltic PorterGrand Baltic Porter

Garrison Brewing Company
Nova Scotia, Canada | website

Style: Baltic Porter

This traditional beer style was originally brewed in countries bordering the Baltic Sea. Although derived from English porters, it was mostly influenced by Russian imperial stouts. Typically, the Baltic porters are brewed with lager yeasts and are smoother than the imperial stouts. Grand Baltic Porter is good for the soul and luxurious on a cold Baltic night. Skal!

Added by nighthawk on 01-18-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 52 | Ratings: 76
3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to Long813 for sending me this one. Cheers!

The beer is black, but not dark black. The head is beige and nicely formed, however it disappear quickly. The aroma is light. I get some chocolate with some metallic notes. Not inspiring. I doubt this could won a gold medal but apparently it did...

The taste is more intense. I get some molasses with a coffee type bitterness. Not bad but nothing out of this world too. For a baltic porter I think this beer is pretty light. However, due to the alcohol level, it is a sipper but in no way the body is full. There is no complexity in this beer, just pretty straight forward I would say.

Drinkability is low due to the high ABV. Mouthfeel is not great for this type of beer, could be almost watery. Not an inspiring beer.

2.65/5  rDev -31%

Deep, rich, and murky brown colour, very close to black. Thin tan head dissipates quickly, no lace. Aromatic notes of cacao powder, raisin, coffee, and brown sugar. Chocolate flavour up front, followed by dried fruit, and a fairly strong molasses note. Coffee notes are faint and linger in the background. The beer is medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Mouthfeel is smooth and rich without being heavy.

When I saw molasses listed as an ingredient on this beer, it made me somewhat fearful after their molasses-bomb Spruce Beer. This isn't quite as overpowering. After a few mouthfuls I actually found myself thinking "I could actually get through this bottle." I was wrong. I can't get around this. After drinking half the bottle, I had to pour the rest down the drain. It simply overpowered my palate.

That's still a half a bottle farther than I made it with the Spruce Beer though.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last