McEwan's India Pale Ale

Poor
McEwan's India Pale AleMcEwan's India Pale Ale
Notes: None
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

2.97 by LesDewitt4beer from Minnesota on Nov 06, 2021
3.25/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
by Sigmund from Norway

Barely discernible from McEwans Export. Some caramel in the flavour, well rounded, perhaps a bit thin. Drinkable stuff that shouldn’t offend anyone. Rerate (can): I understand why this beer is classified as a Scottish Ale at RateBeer, instead of an IPA - hardly any hops are discernible at all. But the brewers insist on calling it an IPA, so I guess it should be rated as such.

May 06, 2021

3.55 by JavierGC from Spain on Jun 27, 2017
2.75/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75
by rodbeermunch from Nevada

Pours a Newcastle brown like appearance, so on one hand, a darker SRM than average for an ipa, but also it is noticeably more watery, lacking the heft typical of an ipa. Aroma isn't hoppy. More earthy than anything. Small 1/3" off white head.

Still comes off like a brown ale. I get the English IPA distinction, but that still doesn't seem to be an excuse for the lack of bitterness, hops and pale malts here. I used to drink a decent amount of these, they truly were one of my first ipa experiences.

At the end of the day (these days) this is just an expensive brown ale to me. Thanks for the memories, but I've moved on.

Nov 15, 2016

2.59 by ntanp91 from Thailand on Jun 09, 2016

3.08 by Squire from Mississippi on May 23, 2016
1.39/5  rDev -52.6%
by Lemreway16 from England

This is not an IPA in any respect. Visually and in taste it resembles a lager rather than an Ale. It has an unpleasant musty smell and is very thin in taste. Still struggle to find a core of good beers in Scotland from a nation that's makes the best malt whisky available.

Oct 25, 2015

2.8 by Foley67 from Scotland on Jul 26, 2015

3.5 by abeeronthebeach from California on Jul 23, 2015

3 by DaveMiller from Minnesota on Apr 01, 2015
2.81/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3
by patre_tim from Thailand

A: Golden, almost straw, filtered with lots of fine carbonation, 4 fingers of whit foamy head.

S: Malt, lager, skunk (came in a clear bottle) a little fruity raspberry quality.

T: Malt, some good bitter hops just way too few of them, light bitterness, light citrus, light grapefruit.

M: Light watery body, little fine bubbled carbonation.

O: A lot of lager qualities in this one, light, crisp, etc. Sort of like a lager gone slightly ipa-ish. It does have some interesting fruity and hop qualities, just very light on them even for the style. Found and drank in Bangkok, March 1st, 2015.

Mar 01, 2015

2.5 by Kahlerbock from Kansas on Jan 12, 2012

3 by rab53 from Washington on Dec 05, 2011

3 by Rochefort10nh from New Hampshire on Nov 27, 2011
2.79/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75
by Beerandraiderfan from Nevada

Looks like a faint brown ale, almost no head, aroma was lacking hops but did have a fruity tomacco (yeah like the Simpsons episode) aroma that was enjoyable.

The brown ale comparison really comes out in the taste, this doesn't even taste like a weak English ipa, this is just like a mild brown ale. It is what it is. Expensive and disappointing. I used to enjoy these in the 90s, they were helpful in getting my palate in shape after drinking sub-BMC type of stuff in the early half of the decade (Meister Brau), but the more I drink of these lately, the more bland and expensive they come off.

Jul 29, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -22.2%
by AgentZero from Illinois

A - Brown, kind of like a caramel color, somewhat odd I thought. Not much of a head, just a 1/2 a finger of bubbles that dissapeared quickly leaving no lacing.

S - Somewhat grainy, slightly malty, more of that than any hopes.

T - This is not good, and I don't think it's an IPA. Tastes more like a somewhat creamy, crappy english bitter that was poured out of a can. Too sweet, not enough hops.

M - Thin, needs more bubbles.

D - Not hard to get down, but I don't want too have anymore.

Feb 17, 2010
by tatoodkelt from Maryland

I had heard that McEwans wasnt going to be imported much longer so back in December I was lucky enough to score a couple of the scotch ales which I am a big fan of as well as one of these.

Consumed 12/10/2009- from notes.

Brown 12oz bottle as shown poured into a pint glass.

A- Poured a clear rusty brown with a thin soapy white head that faded away quick. It was almost all red when held up to the light. Not much in the way of carbination or lacing.

S- Sweet malts, almost a Log Cabin syrup smell. Not bad, just not what I expected.

T- Pretty much matched the nose with the addition of some light fuits. Didnt seem to be much of a hop presence.

M- Light to medium bodied, a little thinner than I expected. Not any where near as much carbination as I've come to associate with IPA's.

D- Worth a try for a different take on an IPA but I wont be looking for this one a again.

Jan 13, 2010
3.42/5  rDev +16.7%
by beerthulhu from New Jersey

A: Poured a dark amber-mahogany with a thin, creamy, quickly dissipating white head.

S: toasty and bready with a light floral hopping.

T: The initial flavor was dark, sweet malt, with a light smokiness and earthy tones. The sweet malt hopping dominates the palate with only a very light hoppiness and fruitiness in the finish.

M: a touch thin, smooth and lightly carbonated.

D: Drinks more like a Scottish ale, very sweet malting with earthy hopping. A decent drink by itself but many will be disappointed in the hop bitterness.

Jan 13, 2009
2.86/5  rDev -2.4%
by barleywinefiend from Washington

Poured dark caramel color, unusual for an IPA. Had a ruby color tint in the light, no head to note. Nose was almost more malts than hops. Tasted of SOME hops, little bitterness, but not as hoppy as I would like. Perhaps I am waaay to accustom to West Coast IPAs now. I would say for an English IPA it would do the trick.

Oct 24, 2008
1.81/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5
by changeup45 from Florida

Sampled in 2004. When I first tried this beer I really liked it. I must have been drunk. I'm glad I've had it again to give it the correct review. IPA? Not even close. IPAs are one of my favorite styles and this has got to be the worst one I've had. This had a dark brown body, a little heavy, with a fairy thick head and a decent amount of lace. The color looks nothing like an IPA. Hops? Hardly any. Are they sure they put the right label on this? Wow. Somewhat smooth, but not a fan of the flavor at all. A scotchy malt flavor is the best way I can describe it. Or a mild version of their Scotch Ale, which I found disgusting. Maybe I'll get it again in a year or so to see what I think then.

Aug 23, 2008
1.33/5  rDev -54.6%
by frischd from Ohio

My wife poured this into a pint glass when I tried it. I could swear she had a Jack Daniels, "Jack and Cola". The color is a dark caramel color with a nice head. With the first sip I gag a little. After each drink it become easier to go down. But over all it was a challenge to drink the whole bottle. Being a huge fans of hops and IPA I was let down. I am still confuse why this is called an IPA.

May 21, 2008