McEwan's India Pale Ale
The Caledonian Brewing Company

McEwan's India Pale AleMcEwan's India Pale Ale
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
English India Pale Ale (IPA)
Ranked #379

Notes:
Reviews: 147 | Ratings: 176
Reviews by frischd:
1.33/5  rDev -54.6%

My wife poured this into a pint glass when I tried it. I could swear she had a Jack Daniels, "Jack and Cola". The color is a dark caramel color with a nice head. With the first sip I gag a little. After each drink it become easier to go down. But over all it was a challenge to drink the whole bottle. Being a huge fans of hops and IPA I was let down. I am still confuse why this is called an IPA.

2.8/5  rDev -4.4%

Tried this one because I had heard good things about the McEwans brand - Really disappointed because I'm into hops and there aren't any here - Pours a decent color - malt is apparent from the beginning and stays there through the finish - Not a terribly bad beer - just difficult to objectively rate this one in the IPA category

2.63/5  rDev -10.2%

I don't really think I understand this beer. It's kind of dark for your traditional IPA, and the aroma is more like a pub ale or an ESB. The flavor is not very "IPA-ish": it's sweetish and there's really no hop flavor to speak of, at least not that I can taste.

It went down okay-- I gave it a decent score for drinkability-- but I seriously thought that maybe I had ordered the wrong drink since it tasted nothing like any IPA I've ever had.

I will rate it lower in taste and mouthfeel for the disparity between its stated style and what it actually ends up tasting like. It's hard to know what the brewer was even going for since I really couldn't taste any hops, which are to my inexperienced palate the main ingredient in a normal IPA. Worth trying just for the odd experience but I can't recommend it beyond that.

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

2.23/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours dark amber with a thin head that soon becomes a small patch.

The smell is musty, sweet caramelish, grainy, with a slight alcohol touch that probably shouldn't be there considering relatively low abv.

The taste is of sweet malt - caramel, sweet grains. Some earthy, leafy bitterness shows up late, but not enough to balance out sweetness. Hardly a typical IPA. It has a characteristic of a caramelish, farily flat cola, that someone dipped a tea-bag in.

The body is rather thin, certainly weak. It barely hits medium at most. A certain sweetness tries to act in a coating manner, but it doesn't quite hold up.

Much too imbalanced sweetness. Not an IPA - more of a brown ale/pale ale mix with a touch of Scottish Ale that doesn't quite come together well. My advise -don't bother with this, esp. if you are looking for an IPA.

2.31/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a dark amber caramel color with a frothy one inch thick foam; a little too dark for style, not looking promising. Aroma is pretty flat, no hops detected, only earthy malts, sweet and caramel like. Flavor is a total dissapointment. The bitterness is there, but it's just so clean with no hop flavor at all. Super thin and nearly bodiless, wow, could it get any worse for style. Drinkability is awful, this is just not an enjoyable beer at all whatever you want to call it.

2.78/5  rDev -5.1%

I picked up a couple bottles of McEwan’s IPA at a specialty shop to taste review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a nut brown color with a red/amber hue when held up to the light, and is clear. A rich two-finger off-white head forms and is quite resilient. The head dissipates to a thin creamy foam on the top of the beer. The remaining head is quite sticky and laces the sides of the glass all the way down.

The smell is fairly sweet and malty. Virtually no scent of hops, which I would expect from an IPA.

The taste is a also sweet and malty. A mild hop presence, but not what I expected. There is a faintly sweet flavor like butter scotch. It really tastes like a weak brown ale.

Mouth feel is medium bodied, light and smooth, but perhaps a little flat. There is not much carbonation in this one.

This is a drinkable beer, but not what I expected even from an English (Scottish) IPA. Given it’s characteristics and availability, I doubt I’ll have this again.

3.14/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer pours a nice copper color with an off white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is very mild, I can detect some malt. I like the flavor, it's malty and has caramel/toffee like notes. Tastes absolutely nothing like an IPA, had this been labelled differently, I wouldn't be surprised, but this is not an IPA. If reviewed as to style, the marks would be low, but I've decided to rate it on its own merits, even though it is not an IPA. I think this is a fairly drinkable beer, it tastes fairly good. I don't think I'd search for this one, but I don't mind it one bit. Definitely worth a try as long as you don't care that it isn't to style.

3.32/5  rDev +13.3%

A - It poured out an amber color with a small, white head. It left some lacing.

S - It smelled of hops and malt.

T - It tasted very malty. Not typical of an IPA. The hop presence was minimal.

M - It was kind of soft. The beer is light to medium-bodied.

D - It is a fairly good beer. It doesn't really taste like an IPA but is still good.

3.23/5  rDev +10.2%

I got a sixer from the distributor near me just to broaden my IPA knowledge. I was a little disappointed since this IPA doesn't really taste like an IPA (and because I'm a poor college student, the cost of $10.34 hurt). I can barely taste any hops yet it is a surprisingly dark red amber. It is a bit watery and thin for the style as well, but it is not without its character. Practically no lacing, but at least some head remains on the top till the end. Smell is so-so.. (certainly not bad) but it just smells malty. Tastes somewhat undercarbonated but mouthfeel is still fair. Probably the highest element of this beer is that it is very drinkable; it is an overall pleasant beer that doesn't fill you up as much even when compared to some other IPAs. It was NOT what I expected but it is still worth a shot.

3.27/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours just like sweet tea. Literally, it has no head, has the color and body of pouring a glass of sweet tea. My wife even made the comment that it was wierd that I was drinking our sweet tea without ice. Aroma is light caramel and british malts. No hop aroma at all, which is surprising for even an english IPA. Flavor is lots of british malts and some caramel in the background. Very little hop bitterness. I'm not sure I would classify this as an IPA... more like a bitter. Body is med-light, light carbonation, and a little watery.

3.57/5  rDev +21.8%

I poured this into a standard pint glass. It has a clear dark amber color. The head is nice and thick with excellent retention. The aroma is a bit disappointing for an IPA, it notes of malt with no hops readily evident. Upon first taste, the malt is immediately dominant, but the hops are noticed thereafter and appear to be well mixed throughout. There is a strong 'earthy' hop finish. It has a medium body with low carbonation, very good for the style.

This is really a fine beer, although a bit 'off-center' of the style in most respects, it is very enjoyable. Being a hop-head, I could drink this all night.

2.95/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance
Doesnt look like an IPA. Poured slightly cloudy with an earthy almost cola like colour. Decent off white head formed and dissipated into finely patterned lacings.

Aroma
Doesnt smell like an IPA either. Fruity and floral bready scents with just a hint of citrus.

Taste
Guess what. doesnt taste like an IPA either. It does have an interesting malty taste, tastes of sweet toasted bread, earthy peat that finishes in a mild tea like flavour.

Mouthfeel
This beer is almost watery, making a good thirst quencher on a hot summers day (much like water is). Has an interesting balance between the yeasty and malt flavours. Astringent finish balances the sweetness well, although im not even sure if its due to hops. Was barely carbonated.

Drinkability
Very easy to drink (much like water is). Some intersting flvours are present, but not much of an IPA. Not much of a PA either. Could drink alot in a sitting, and as such would make a good session beer. Cant see me having a serious drinking session with it though.

2.9/5  rDev -1%

Pours a dark brownish bronze with a decent sized head, but the most appealing part of the appearance is some nice lacing. Smells of malts with a touch of sour fruits. The taste is rather unremarkable and certainly not like an IPA-- quite weak. The taste is mainly of malts and little else. The mouthfeel is a bit stronger than the taste, but still watery. Quite drinkable because of such an easy finish. If this was not an IPA, I would feel differently but this comes up a bit disappointing.

3.43/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured a dark reddish-purplish brown with a fairly thick, light head.

Not much hops in the nose -- mostly malty notes. Taste was the sort of buttery smoothness I'd typically expect from an ESB, not so much from an IPA. Some hoppiness but not a lot. Goes down smoothly and feels smooth and refreshing in the mouth, but a bit watery.

In any event, a fairly enjoyable brew but not one that I'd peg as very characteristic of the IPA style. And there are better options for bitters out there too.

3.4/5  rDev +16%

This beer pours a deep brown with amber highlights and almost no head. The aroma is earthy and herbal, with that slight twangy sweetness you find in other Scottish ales.

Certainly not in the vain of other IPAs you may be used to, the order of the day here is more herbal and tea-like, with a burnt sweetness colliding with the bitter herbal hop finish. Think of it as an English pale with a Scottish flare and you're almost there. Mouthfeel is medium-thin and well carbonated. This beer is perfectly sessionable and fine to drink as long as you're not expecting an IPA.

3.5/5  rDev +19.5%

3.15/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev +11.9%

Not bad, but nothing like what I expected. I thought my beer had been mislabeled until I read others comments. Tasted and looked more like an Octoberfest than IPA. Brown in color with little head, lower alcohol content, and no hoppy bitterness. This is nothing like an IPA. Still, it was pretty drinkable

2.5/5  rDev -14.7%