Burning Skye Scottish Style Ale | Empyrean Brewing Company

Empyrean Brewing Company
Nebraska, United States
empyreanbrewingco.com

Style: Scottish Ale

Brewed in the tradition of Scotland's malty-sweet beers. Sweet and smooth with a wee hint of smoked character. Brewed with American, English & German grown barley and American hops.

Added by PhantomVodoo on 08-11-2002

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%

3.3/5  rDev -4.9%

I love a good scotch style ale. I love scotch. I love beer. So what could possibly go wrong with scotch and beer put together? Well, lots of things. But we'll get to that later. For now, we are reveiewing Burning Skye. Side poured with standard vigor from the bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice copper/burnt orange color with a decent one finger head that dissipates within 1/4 of the beer and leaves pretty good lacing. Nothing too spectacular with the presentation, but not bad.

Smell - Bready, malty sweetness, with a bit of caramel in there. Not what I expected, I like my scotch's to be a little boozier in the nose (and the ABV, for that matter), but it could be good. Just don't detect much whisky, burnt notes, or anything of that nature.

Taste - There is a tiny bit of smokiness on the palate, which can bebarely detected over the matly, bready sweetness. Still, nothing as strong as I have come to expect my scotch styles to be. Relatively bland in nature. Just isn't much going on.

Mouthfeel - Thin, watery, finishes ok. Very mediocre

Overall - Alright at best. I would never buy it again, nor would i recommend it to anyone. While it wasn't so bad as to lead me to drain pour it, nothing impressed me about it. Dirty Bastard is one of my favorites of this style, and this falls way short of that. If you're going to buy this kind of beer, just get Dirty Bastard or even Loch Down.

3.31/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Cloudy burnt orange body with a foamy, white head (3.25). Caramel and toasted grain aroma (3.5). Mildly sweet, very faint roasted grain flavor; a bit of orange and caramel; low-key hop bitterness (3.25). Medium body yet feels somewhat weak and watery (3.25).

Not bad but far from being a beer I'd run back to. Weak and underwhelming all around.There's a mild charred grain and brown sugar depth to things but it's pretty wimpy overall.

2.5/5  rDev -28%

3.55/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clear light copper color with a small off-white head that turns to just a skin quickly but hangs around and leaves some decent lacing.

The Aroma is caramel malt with a hint of warm bread.

The taste is also light caramel malt with hints of peat smoke and a bit of fruitiness - apple, I think.

Light-medium bodied, smooth and easily drinkable.

Altogether a bit light on the "Scottish" style but a nice enjoyable brew on it's own merits.

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%