Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dark Side Vanilla Porter | Empyrean Brewing Company

Empyrean Brewing Company
Nebraska, United States
empyreanbrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

An infusion of an old-world beer style and contemporary soul. Smooth, dark and roasted with highlights of chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Brewed with American, Canadian and English grown barley, American hops, Madagascar vanilla beans and natural vanilla extract.

23. IBU

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2002

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

In my second installment of rating Empyrean products, we go to my favorite style, the American Porter. When I peruse the top porters on this site, I see I have drank and reviewed a lot of good porters, so I am familiar with what they are supposed to taste like. Side poured with standard intensity from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance - Like many porters, pours a dark brown with an off white head that is less than one finger. Head dissipates rapidly, and leaves little lacing. I like the packaging on this beer, and the little saying on the side.

Smell - Despite the advertisement, I detect a relatively small nose on this beer. There are some malty notes, a little roast, and thats about it. I detect very little in the way of aroma. There may be a bit of coffee in there, but I really have to dig, and that may be my imagination too.

Taste - Much like the aroma, the taste leaves much to be desired. There is a pronounced bitterness, which drowns out what may be a decent brew. I detect little of the vanilla and chocolate with which the beer is made. TO me, the coffee bitterness really dominates the palate. There is a hint of sweetness and roast, but the flavor is one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel- Very thin and watery, finishes bitter. My least favorite part, I want a porter to be thick and creamy.

Overall - As with Burning Skye, I would not recommend this, nor would I buy it again. Ever. There are too many good porters out there to drink this one. I am glad I drank it, but coming off my recent out-of-body experience with Anchor Porter, maybe this was a bad choice, too much of a drop off. I ended up pouring the last 1/4 or so of it, just go bored with it.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Caramel-like, dark brown in color. Not very impressive head.
Smell: Pleasant smell. Notes of caramel and vanilla shine through.
Taste/mouthfeel: Delicious. Chocolate, vanilla, and subtle coffee flavors are present. Partway into the glass, the caramel comes out more, as well as the coffee. The whole mouthfeel is quite pleasing.
Overall, this beer is very good and easy to drink. Not one of the best beers I have had, but one that I would likely purchase again.

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The beer pours a deep rich brown hue, with no light passing through the glass. This bottle has been in my cellar for a year or two.
A creamy tan head of 2 cm foams up with a gentle pour and recedes to a wispy surface layer with denser edges.
Aroma is some chocolate malt and vanilla hits, not really sweet though. I also get a little brown sugar mixed in for a generally appealing nose, it is fairly mild but pleasant.
First sip reveals a smooth silky texture on an average body and gentle rolling carbonation. All of the physical qualities make it very easy to drink.
Flavor is sweeter than I anticipated from the nose. Brown sugar and vanilla mix with milk chocolate flavors, not so much roasted dark chocolate. I dont get any hits of alcohol or hops anywhere on this beer. Definitely a malt lovers brew and the sweeter flavor may get cloying after a second bottle. I do enjoy this one and would have it again if in Nebraska or the neighboring area.

2.92/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12oz bottle from LambicPentameter (thank you!). Best by 7/14. Served in a goblet.

Pours deep brown with three fingers of pale, sand-hued head. A fluffy half finger cap longers and leaves large sheets of lace.

Smells a bit musky with roast malts, caramel and vague vanilla.

Taste is overall bittersweet with dark roasted malts, coffee, cocoa powder, burnt sugar, fruit skins and very mild vanilla bean. It suffers from being just a bit too bitter to let the vanilla through and unfortunately that vanilla flavor comes across to me as more sharp extract than smooth bean in nature.

Fairly thin yet near-creamy feel with a strong seeming dose of carbonation. The finish is roasty with a little lingering vanilla character.

Far from offensive but this didn't deliver near as much vanilla as I would like. Far more roasty and bitter with a body much too thin to be something I'd look to drink much of.

Dark Side Vanilla Porter from Empyrean Brewing Company