Old Bat Rastard | Freetail Brewing Company

Added by wagenvolks on 02-17-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 27 | Ratings: 94
4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Fortunately, my colleague and I made the time to visit Freetail Brewing on the North side of San Antonio before we headed back from our business trip. If anyone is in that area, they should definitely visit. Now, on to the beer.

Appearance - Dark brown, visibly darker, thicker, and more opaque than the Rahr and Sons Winter Warmer that I had sitting next to it. Anticipation was running high at this point.

Smell - Toasted malts, some sugars (maybe a brown sugar / raw sugar / caramelized sugar combination?) but not overwhelmingly sweet.

Taste - Surprisingly not as sweet or malty as I was expecting. Much more bitter on the finish as well. I suppose it was actually a more "balanced" beer overall that way, but I don't typically expect (or hope for) my winter warmers to be balanced. Still, it was very tasty overall. Just not up to my hopes or expectations.

Mouthfeel - Good mouthfeel for a beer of this nature. Slightly syrupy or oily, which I attribute at least in part to the 9.1% ABV. Not too carbonated, which I loved for this style. If I was feeling more generous, I could possibly bump this to a 4.5.

Drinkability - Again, good overall. Nothing exceptional, but definitely above average drinkability, especially for a beer of this ABV. I guess that's due to the balance of sweetness w/ bitterness?

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

A - Pours a deep mahogany with a decent head that dissipates fairly quickly. Lacing is fairly light.

S - Lots of woody spice and piney hops in the aroma. A small amount of caramel sweetness comes through as well.

T - Fair amount of hop bitterness up front. Pine and spicy alcohol notes give way to a more balanced finish thanks to the strong malt presence. Some faint coffee notes poke through as well.

M - Medium-bodied with a semi-dry finish. The hops leave some lingering bitterness on the palate.

D - Smooth and very enjoyable. I can't imagine that it would be too hard to knock a few of these back at the bar.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last