Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fortuna Roja | Freetail Brewing Company

Added by wagenvolks on 02-06-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz bottle poured into HF "fest" glass. First beer in our mini Freetail tasting (other beers included Raspberry Ananke, Yo Soy Berliner, and Porto Gallito). This is a sour made with prickly pear (a type of cactus fruit).

A- Pours a fairly still orange yellow reddish grapefruit color that has pretty much no head and fairly low carbonation but looks nice for a sour and has a nice fruity glow to it.

S- Fruity sour aroma that has a light fruity funk to it and smells of melons, pears, and a hint of dill pickles that fits in well with the sourness. Definitely interesting, unique, fairly sour with a nice fruitiness that blends in well.

T- Follow nose with fruity sour flavors of melons, cucumbers, pears, hint of dill pickles on the finish, with a sour melon aftertaste. I'd imagine the fruitiness in the beer (excluding the sour taste from the brett) is what prickly pear tastes like although I can't say for certain seeing as I've never tried one. I can say that fits nicely in a sour and everything was well balanced.

M- Medium bodied, not much carbonation, slight acidic feel typical of a nice sour, overall a nice feel for a sour.

O- This was my first Freetail beer and the first one we tried during our mini Freetail sour tasting. I wasn't sure what to expect from the brewery especially because I had no idea what Prickly Pear tastes like. I thought this beer was creative, very well done, and one of the better sours that I've had. It's great seeing breweries create unique brews using indigenous ingredients that aren't commonly used. I hope to drink this again and I definitely recommend checking it out if you can.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.27/5  rDev 0%

Batch 1, thanks to Jon!

Did I just pour ruby red grapefruit juice? Wow, this looks like a liquified Watermelon Jolly Rancher. Funky, citrusy, fruity aroma. Wishing it were stronger though.

Taste is refined and unique amongst sours. Never had a prickly pear sour before, but whoa this is great! Crisp and refreshing; tart but not overly sour. Not enough of this was made -- seek it out!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast