Fresh Hop Da Truck | Freetail Brewing Company

Freetail Brewing Company
Texas, United States
freetailbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Fall

Added by pwsoldier on 09-22-2011

Reviews by elNopalero:
4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is Freetail’s fresh hopped pale ale. No idea what hops they used, or where they got them, since South Texas isn’t exactly a hop producing region. But I can’t say how happy I am to have tried this one.

This pours an intense caramel color with a dense, bright layer of foam curving over the top of the pint glass. Just vibrant and zesty. Looks beautiful. Smells wonderful. Intensely floral. Tastes just like everything I want in a wet hopped beer, delicately floral, citrusy and light with a resiny-pine finish. Just an amazing beer. Wet hops for the win!

Postscript: Citra hops, shipped to the brewery. All flavor, and fantastic.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear orange-amber with a thin off white head that forms a lacing over the top of the beer and clings to the side of the glass.

Aroma: Big fresh hop aroma, pineapple, peach, citrus, and other tropical fruit.

Taste: Complex flavor of pineapple, citrus, and pine, with a nice caramel malt backing.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation and a dry lingering finish.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beer from Freetail, sadly it's only around once a year. I'll have to drink up!

3.75/5  rDev -15%

4.54/5  rDev +2.9%

Brewed with wet Citra hops shipped fresh to the brewery overnight.

A - Pours cloudy copper with a nice white head that shows decent retention. Lacing is moderate.

S - A whirlwind of citrus and other tangy fruits. Orange, mango, peach, and a bit of pineapple make for a very exotic and enticing nose. A touch of pine comes through as well. Sweet Zeus Almighty, I could smell this beer all day!

T - Peach, mango, and other tropical fruits combine with citrus flavors of orange and a hint of grapefruit to create a very complex and fruity flavor profile. An assertive earthy hop bitterness shines through in the finish, balanced nicely with a strong malt backbone.

M - Medium-bodied with a dry, hoppy finish. The hops leave a kiss of bitterness lingering on the palate. Carbonation is just right.

O - This is my first encounter with Citra, and I was not disappointed. To the best of my knowledge, this is also the first time Freetail has used wet hops in a beer. They nailed it perfectly, and I really hope they do this again at next year's harvest. This is a ridiculously good beer and quite different from any other pale ale I've had. I think I like this new Citra stuff.

Fresh Hop Da Truck from Freetail Brewing Company