SA IPA (Freetail) | Freetail Brewing Company

Freetail Brewing Company
Texas, United States
freetailbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by elNopalero on 06-04-2012

Reviews by elNopalero:
3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

This is the San Antonio IPA brewed (with corn!) and served at Freetail. Sampled on the third day of San Antonio Beer Week, so I know it’s fresh. There are or will be a couple different variations of this being served around town as each of the collaborators will be producing a version which has their own stamp upon it. I am curious to see how they turn out and will do my best to sample each and every variant. ‘Nuff said.

This pours a rich and vibrant copper hue, topped with tightly packed tiny bubbles.

I get a big nose full of piney hops and an evident bitterness. From the first sip onward it’s obvious this is a hop-forward brew. Green and grassy, I get a lot of that pine and an upfront bittering that I find engaging and enjoyable. There’s a slight, sweetish malt backbone. I am not sure where the corn really fits in—I was imagining some bourbon sweetness (vs. a adjunct lager’s blah-ness) and perhaps it also contributed to the body? But this is all speculation.

While I wouldn’t say this beer made converts out of the non-lupulin addicts in my group the night I tried it the SA IPA was user-friendly enough to share with a few folks who wouldn’t have otherwise tried an IPA.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%