Sartori Harvest IPA | Driftwood Brewery

Driftwood Brewery
British Columbia, Canada

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

A fresh hopped IPA with Centennial hop flowers and brewed once a year, during hop harvest.

Added by astout on 10-11-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 41 | Ratings: 106
3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

Bottle: Poured a lightly hazy bright light orangey with a medium size head with OK retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of floral hops with light citrus and bitter finish is quite enjoyable. Taste is also a nice mix between some floral hops with some nice clean citrus notes with a medium bitter finish and light sweet malt backbone. Body is quite full with good carbonation and no appearance of alcohol thought it can be felt at the end of the glass. Nothing extraordinary but well done nonetheless.

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

Thanks to DaftCaskBC for giving me this one. Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a slightly hazy (this is an unfiltered beer) golden amber color with about an inch of off-white head that had good retention and lacing.

There was a bright, bold hop scent across the olfactory unit as soon as the beer was opened and it got bigger when the beer was poured. A closer sniff revealed some bready malt and I found a bit of a honey-like sweetness in the background. The flavors were good, solid malts which gave a nice foundation to a variety of hop flavors.

The body was fairly typical for a NWIPA, full and a bit sticky on the finish. Drinkability was very good for a 7% brew, I would have drank the whole 22 myself, if I hadn't been sharing with OKComputer. Overall, a very nice brew that's worth a bit of effort to try.

4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

First time reviewer, greetings.

Driftwood is the most interesting local brewery we have in Victoria in my opinion. The Farmhand Ale in particular is beautifully fresh and drinkable.

I picked this up at the Hillside Liquor Store where I work in the fridge. The label design, like all Driftwood's stuff, is a tasteful and bold graphic artwork, this time of some ripe hops.

A: Rich and orange like a bronzed mango, with an enduring head.

S: Dull, warm citrus pierced with a hint of near-medicinal pine aromas.

T: Surprisingly not as bitter as I expected from a fresh hop brew. More of the pine comes out in the flavour, giving an otherwise restrained IPA a lively, tonic-like quality that makes you open your eyes and smile.

M: Smooth with a hint of a tannic pucker, very pleasant.

D: I'd stick to one per session, but I could drink one every other night while it's in season.

My first wet hop brew, so I can't put it into context, but this is a beer with real impact. If I had to criticize it, I'd say, like a few of Driftwood's beers, this one could accommodate another percentage point in the ABV. The kick is slightly wanting for such a flavourful beer. But I'm nitpicking... Great beer.

4.06/5  rDev -6.9%

Wet Centennial hops from the Sartori Cedar Ranch hop farm, south of Chilliwack, BC. 66 IBU.

A: Copper-bronze with a huge, off-white head, great retention & exceptional lacing.

S: Apricot, nectarine & tangerine with a little grass & pine. Slight underlying sweet toffee aroma. Not a huge aroma (could it use some more late/dry hopping?), but it's quite nice.

T: Nice leafy hop flavours: nectarine, apricot, grass; toffee & caramel; very smooth bitterness; alcohol is subtle.

M: Moderate body has a slight residual sweetness.

D: A good drinker.

A good IPA, but it doesn't match the Sierra Nevada fresh/wet brews.

They picked up the hops & brewed the next day, so I guess putting the wet hops aside for 'dry' hopping doesn't really fit the theme. I'd say it could use a little more hopping at flame-out (or in the whirlpool if they use one) for an IPA. Man I love the centennial. :D

Picked up at Point Grey Beer & Wine on Broadway in Vancouver.

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

650 mL btl served at 7C in a tulip. Just a little experiment to see how it developed. I know it is a fresh, wet, single source hop IPA that is meant to be had fresh; but frankly I was unimpressed with this year's offering on the day of release and it got better during the ensuing days/weeks. Hence the tasting now.

AVERAGE SCORE should be 4.75 at least

Slightly pale, matte amber pour with slight copper/orange tones. Nice frothy off white head that ends quickly but laces well and good carbonation (etched tulip helps) gives it a lasting film. 3-4 protein clumps and slight sediment.

Very low nose, mainly pine and orange with a mildly sweet note. Very muted, but expected.

Beautifully balanced. Overtones of orange, slightly fresh not but hints of older (not stale) citrus oils. Nice solid malty base that is mildly sweet, some bread and gentile but precise yeast quantity. Hops, mainly citrus and leafy. Only slightly bitter but a fresh resin note that is oily in texture but also effervesent. This hits every layer of hops. Muted floral notes with a titch of berry and forest bush.

Medium to heavy body with the carbonation giving zesty contrast to its weight and perking up the citrus flavours and holding up the mid-level hops. Dry-ish finish that is still satisfying enough that i don't feel like i need to have more, but i really want to.

I may have given this a 4 on first release. Maybe. It was unbalanced in my view. This on the other hand is fucking fantastic. IPAs are not my favorite. By the balance and depth of this, especially in the malt is amazing. the lack of nose is the only thing that keeps it out of the 5s as it hold back slightly the flavour profile of the more fragrant hops. While not a traditional IPA, for what it is this, NOW is in the top 3 beers I have ever had.

4.1/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to H1N1 for sending me a fresh bottle of this!

Poured from bomber in to Duvel Tulip glass.

A - Light orange colour, completely filtered with a half finger of head that quickly disappeared.

S - Nice fresh bitter hops up front with some citrus and pine notes. A nice sweet caramel malt backbone provides just the right amount of sweetnewss.

T -A well balanced IPA. Nice bitter pine and earthy hops. The citrus that was in the nose doesn't come through in the palate. The malts provide a good backbone of caramel sweetness. The bitterness lingers nicely in the finish.

M - Medium body, nice chew. Lightly carbonated.

D - A very good IPA. A little citrus in the palate would have made this one stellar. Glad I got to try this.

4.11/5  rDev -5.7%

So, Rutager tricked my buddy into giving him my address here in Holland so he could send me this surprise. Thanks heaps man! Living where I do, surprises like this are few and far between. Very much appreciated.

From a bomber into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger, medium looking, off-white head with good retention. Head becomes a little foamy after some time, but slowly fades to a full foam cap. Gamboge orange in color with almost no carbonation evident. A splotchy wisp remains leaving some foamy lacing down the glass. Nice looking beer, though the head ends up a little on the foamy side for my liking.

SMELL: Wonderful nose on this. Honeydew melon, lots of pineapple, orange peel and some nice lemon notes as well. Very nice, bold fruits on this one, with a touch of pale and caramel malts as well. Very nice.

TASTE: Starts with some pale malts, sweet caramel notes and some honeydew melon up front. Flavor becomes more forthcoming after the swallow, with floral and piney, bitter hops, touches of orange peel, lemon, and some light hints of honeydew melon. Delicious for sure, but the flavor doesn't quite match the magic that is the aroma. More pine and floral forward than expected.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Not quite as creamy as hoped, a touch prickly perhaps, goes down fine and finishes somewhat dry on the palate. Enough weight, but not quite as smooth and creamy as expected.

OVERALL: The nose on this was spectacular, but the flavor wasn't quite in the same league. The aroma prepared me for a melony, fruity hop bomb, but instead, the flavor showcased more floral and pine qualities. The feel was also not quite as smooth as I'd expected. Despite the slight identity crisis here, this is still a top class, enjoyable beer from a brewery that has done nothing but impress me so far. These guys might be my favorite in Canuckville. Cheers again Rutager. Top class surprise man!

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%

Been looking forward to trying this one for a while. Thanks to Rutager for the bottle.

Poured from a 650ml. bottle and split with my wife. Best before date is blank but who are we kidding, all these will disappear in a month!

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, light gold body. Lots of head which really takes its time. As it diminishes, the head is bumpy and bubbly.

Smell: Hops in the form of papaya, ripe peaches, juicy mango and a bit of sweet sugar. The fruit really shines and jumps out.

Taste: Hop juice with mix of peaches, mango, hint of melon and a tinge of grapefruit in the finish. Veers more towards a sweet fruit-like presence rather than bitter.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, creamy smooth, some bitterness shows its teeth but is more in the background.

Overall: A solid IPA that i would love to have on a regular basis. Get one if you can still find it.

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This review is one of two fresh hop ale reviews - the other being Yellow Dog Brewery’s Alpha Dog 2106 release. I made these reviews as a challenge by an acquaintance who said that Alpha Dog was a way better beer than Driftwood’s Sartori Harvest. As I have not had the privilege to try either until now, I figured a good head to head taste off was in order (pun intended). See here (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35919/193023/?ba=JonCorbett#review) for my review of Alpha Dog.

Appearance: Clear and golden amber with a generous one and half fingers of rocky white fluff and leaves in it’s moderate dissipation a decent amount of crocheted lace about the glass. Gentle carbonation bubbles float to the top in a fairly uniform manner. (4.5)

Aromatics: Fairly mellow - I found it actually quite lacking from what I was expecting. But it was fresh with sweet grasses and hop juice, some light florals with honey malt and subtle yellow grapefruit and pomelo citrus. (3.75)

Taste: Sweet pine nut start and the flavour briskly drops into a smooth earthy green pine resin. The sweet malts do a wonderful job of bringing along the hoppy bitter with very skillful balance that sees it finish of sweeter than the start. There is a pretty good earthy aftertaste that combines with the bitter mouthfeel at the end. (4.25)

Feel: Middleweight through and through with a moderate carbonation and a grainy wooden grapefruit peel bitter that lingers across most of the palate. (4)

Overall: So overall… In my opinion Satori edged out Alpha Dog in appearance, and flavour, but I give Aroma and Feel to Alpha Dog - Overall I think they are fairly equivalent. Different qualities for sure but both come in with a decent 4.25 overall. (And in the end with the rating system, Satori eeked out the win by a margin of just .03) Two great fresh hop brews for sure, so try to get them yourself and decide which is the better...

Pairing : Salt. I enjoyed the tamed bitter, but its the sweeter flavours that even though are behind the scenes are the ones that real make the whole show happen in this one. And those sweet flavours need a good salty counter balance. After enjoying half of my bomber sample I personally went with a Jalapeño and Cheddar popcorn blended with double butter popcorn - the extra butter helped out the bitter linger a bit on the palate while the spice and salty added an nice flavour enhancement. I think atmosphere-wise, Satori is better suited to open public forums, where as I found Alpha Dog to be a more intimate and relaxing brew.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On cask during Cask Days 2013.

Beer is clear amber in colour, with a big white head. Great retention.

Nose contains weedy hops and light citrus fruit. Caramel.

Flavour is similar. Light citrus fruits, sightly dank weedy flavours, and grassy notes. Quite biiter.

Medium bodied, and surprisingly carbonated for a cask beer,

Overall, very nice.

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz fresh from Victoria, pours a gorgeous burnished orange with copper and amber hints, 2 fingers of sticky off white foam with great retention and lacing down the glass.

Loads of floral and grapefruit hops in the nose. Hints of pine and lemons, a light kiss of caramel. Sweet and fresh.

This is a balanced beer, not as hoppy as you might expect. Nice fresh, lively floral and citrus notes, followed by a nice light caramelly sweetness, a delicate balance. Hints of grass, lemons, pine in the burps for sure. Lots of hop flavor, just not a ton of hop bite in the finish. This dances over the tongue rather than browbeating it with hoppy bitterness. I feel perhaps at 7% it should go for a little more browbeating but it's hard to complain how frickin' drinkable this is. Still some bite, especially as I clear the palate - it's actually somewhere in the middle, lots of piney resin in the finish.

Not a hop monster, just a well made Canadian IPA with plenty of hop action going on. Lively but light silky carb. Some residual sugar makes the body a touch thicker, adds to the slick silky mouthfeel. It's good.

4.19/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Kump. Thanks for sending me this long-time want. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

A - A finger of foam settles to a thin cap, thick collar, and plenty of lacework. Transparent golden body.

S - Big orange rind citrus aroma, with some dank marijuana. Very fresh and green, with almost a hint of Sorachi Ace-esque lemon (although I don't think that hop was used here). Not much malt; very neutral, bready backdrop.

T - The taste has a bit more doughy, caramel sweetness from the malt, but it's still quite hop-forward with plenty of herbal, green, dank herb, and bitter grapefruit hoppiness.

M - Medium body, pleasant carbonation, dry finish, with oily wet hops and a dry, crisp finish. Spot on for the style.

D - I'm generally lukewarm to 'wet hop' beers, but this is quite nice; I can see why it's so popular. Still, the hop character is somewhat retro for my more 'American' palate. Very C hop with the citrus and dank combo. I'd definitely drink it again, but wouldn't seek it out unless I were living somewhere hop-deprived.

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

22 oz bottle, ritzkiss shared this one with me.

Pours a clear amber/orange, nice and bright, thick slightly off white head forms, drops a ton of lace spots, settles down to a pretty thick layer, good retention.

Smell is nice, tea, lemons, floral, very malty, caramel sweetness, toast, biscuit, crackers, light grapefruit and pine, big malt and big hops, very fresh aroma.

Taste is similar, big and malty at first, honey and caramel, toast, lemon and tea, grapefruit, some floral, nicely balanced, big lemony and bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, very dry and bitter in the finish but still nicely balanced. Didn't realize this was 7% at first, one of the pieces of the puzzle on how that night went so wrong. Thanks Eric!

4.23/5  rDev -3%

Another winner from Driftwood, not sure if this will be a one time brew or become a seasonal fall release. What I do know is that I will need to buy quite a bit of it either way.

Pours a rich golden orange colour with decent slightly off white head.

Aromas of honey citrus and pine, you can definitely tell the difference wet hopping makes the hop aromas are far more subdued, and reminds me a lot of sticky pine resin smell.

Hop flavours integrate really nicely on the palate with the caramel smooth malt presence. Really reminds me of a honey grapefruit type thing.

Mouth feel is awesome, just smooth creamy and dense, great weight and probably perfect carbonation, exactly what I would want in an IPA.

Great IPA, not the best I've ever had but I would put it up there against the best of them from BC at least.

4.24/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got on a CANBIF trade! Thx westcoastbeergeek! Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a 1" high white head that lasts for nearly 5mins before film out. Very dark almost an orange/gold colour. Unfiltered goodness

S- Oodles of hops. Has that sweet scent of sugar

T- Yup! Sweet as expected. Not so much so that it's sickly or anything but very sweet. Has a good hop base but the bitterness level is pretty low considering that this brew is a IIPA in training.

M- Dry and crisp. Bite on the tongue happens at the end

O- Very good brew. Will buy if I ever see it around but BC brews are not distributed very well here in Ontario. Too bad really as there some prime beer examples out there.

Food Pairing

This wonderful little brew went very well with........ Chili! Nice ground beef chili with red kidney beans, onions, tomato soup condensed and mushrooms. Drain off a bit of the grease after frying the beef so the chili is not too greasy. Don't forget 4 tablespoons of chili powder to 3lbs of meat. Try some diced celery to spice it up a bit once in a while.

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've heard great things...now I've tasted them.
Service: Bottle chilled. Poured to a tulip. Thanks Ben!
Great pour. Bright orange hue with substantial head. Mildly hazy. Solid head that had staying power. Looks great!
Aroma is in your face. Straight off the pour. Fresh citric hop and green goodness.
Taste : Very solid but singular and to the point. Grassy and citrus. Substantial malt invests. Lingering aftertaste of a nice blend of malts and hop bettering.
Mouth feel was substantial. I like it and is required in my mind for a solid IPA. Tongue was caressed by fine bubbles which added to the back of mouth elements of this brew.
Overall: I was thinking this beer had a hard task to live up to its reputation but I was very pleasantly surprised. They have something great going on here! I feel it may be partly the fact that they use copious amounts of hops on a great IPA malt backbone. It works and I approve.

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep golden with whitish frothy two finger head. Aroma is slightly tropical but heavier to pine and grass. Flavour starts with a hint of sweetness then moves to earthy pine and grass notes. Hop bite up front is assertive but not off putting. Finishes with an earthy chewy dryness.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I don't love fresh hop beers in general, but I love this one. Very perfumy nose, which is usually a turnoff for me, but it works in this beer. Clean, not overly bitter flavor and just a nice beer through and through.

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

thanks to rutager for this

pours a clean bright copper with a creamy white head. nice lacing and retention. bit of haze towards the bottom of the bottle.

lots of citrus fruit, mainly grapefruit and various orange.

a subtle yet complex hop variation. lots of citrus with a well blended pine and resin. nice balanced bitterness behind sweet citrus. malt backbone was hidden and balanced.

tingling from the carbonation lines the lips, bit of a chewy body. but drinks easy.

this was great, loved every sip, would drink many times again

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Great IPA from Driftwood. I wish they did this year-round, but I guess this would sort of defeat the purpose.

Amber-to-light copper colour with a nice white head that is almost like froth on a cappucccino.

Fresh, floral hops, bread dough, toffee and a hint of yeast all are present in the scent.

Strong, but lightly floral hop taste with a mild bitterness. Low, creamy malt background.

Good carbonation, not too fizzy but more zest than some IPAs I'ce had. Even at a 7%, this is still a nice beer to sit bank and enjoy.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a clear amber/copper color with a white three finger head that has good retention and leaves nice sticky lacing.

Smells of noble hops, pines, grass and citrus.

Taste is grassy, piney hops, herbs. Hints of yeast, alcohol and some sweet malts in the background. Finishe with some bitterness lingering for a while.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, low carbonation and smooth.

4.37/5  rDev +0.2%

I agree , this is a great IPA with a fantastic frsh hop nose and lovely thick mouthfeel with real balance in the main body. These guys are showing why they can compete with the best In BC by making an IPA as good as Central City or Phillips. They need to create a regular IPA that is available all year round

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 poured into 16 oz nonnic pint. Reviewed 14 October 2011.

Ar: Fresh citrus resin, mild floral, pine, clean malty sweetness,

Ap: Dense light tan thick head, great retention, light lace, brilliantly clear copper

T: Resin, piney, fresh wet resiny bitterness from the hops, citrus peel, mild floral, clean malt base with , grapefruit, fruity, light tropical fruit, strong citrus and pine, light alcohol in the finish

M: Medium carbonation, smooth medium body, pleasantly assertive resinous bitterness in the finish without being rough or over the top.

O: Very well done, great all around without being over the top,

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quite a lot of floral notes this year. Exceptionally good. Light on the nose and in the mouth. Those fresh hops are really shining through with minimal bitterness,, which I must say is a bit unusual. Very, very balanced. I imagine in a week or two and this will be a completely different beer so do try now. Definitely better than last year and would highly recommend a try. Nice job! Please release more :)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber shared by Ritzkiss - thanks Eric!

Pours a rich copper colour with a creamy off-white head that shows excellent retention and leaves huge sheets of lace. The nose is a fragrant bouquet of grapefruit, pine, apricot and caramel. It certainly sets the table for the flavour, and serves as a great advert for this beer.

The body is far heavier than you will usually find in an IPA, and has a wonderful creamy smoothness. Its actually more reminiscent of a double IPA, but of course the ABV isn't there to match that. Mmmm... let's call it an IPA and a half.

The flavour seems to be mostly about sweet citrus. There's definitely some tangerine, clementine and candied orange in there, and it seems to be mixing in with a big dose of pine. While all of these flaavours come from the hopping, the bitterness is no where near excessive, and its extremely drinkable. Not that its all about hops either, and the malt brings a nice caramel aspect.

An impressively drinkable west coast IPA. Not as bitter as most, but also better than most. Driftwood's successful run continues.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast