Singularity | Driftwood Brewery

2011-11.8%(silver foil), 2012-11.6%(black wax),
2013-11.8%(black wax), 2014-14.6%(black wax),
2015-12.2%(black wax), 2016-11.2%(black wax),
2017-13.2%(black wax)

Our 7th annual release of Driftwood Brewery’s Singularity has been conditioned for 3 months in authentic Kentucky bourbon barrels. This aging process adds warming notes of bourbon and oak that push this Russian Imperial Stout beyond the event horizon. The result is a beer of infinite density and depth of character. At 13.2%, Singularity Russian Imperial Stout 2017 will be a prized addition to any beer cellar!

Added by ericj551 on 01-18-2011

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

***2012 Vintage***

Big thanks to hoppypocket for pulling out one of my long time wants.

Poured from a 650ml. bottle and split with my wife.

Appearance: Pours a thick & dense dark brown body, a reserved 2-3 fingers that leaves some nice rings.

Smell: A bit shy, even at room temp. Cocoa, chunks of chocolate, mild oak.

Taste: Nuts, raisins, dark fruits, coffee beans, bit of roastedness, chocolate milkshake a bit but nowhere do i taste the bourbon.

Mouthfeel: Real smooth, easy to drink with a bit of bitterness in the end.

Overall: Lacked punch for me. No real intensity given that it's been released this year. I wouldn't age this very long as i can't imagine it getting smoother. Lacks complxity that the name "imperial" implies.

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle of this stuff from Rutager in a recent trade. Thanks for the killer box man. These beers were very much enjoyed. This one was the third round in the Great Canadian BA RIS Showdown against Half Pint's $ellout $tout and McAuslan's BA imperial stout. Good times!

From a bomber into a snifter
Vintage: 2011

APPEARANCE: A clear brown pour yields a one finger, medium thick looking, tan head with great retention, eventually settling to a nice wisp and leaving sheets of lacing down the top of the glass. Sits black in the glass with lower levels of visible carbonation. A splotchy wisp remains leaving some dots of lace down the sides. Solid head, but the body was a little light.

SMELL: Roasted and caramel malts with some whisky and milk chocolate and vanilla as well. Some light sweet cream and dark chocolate show up a little later on as well. Milder nose, but nice enough.

TASTE: Roasted malts and sweet cream up front, then some caramel sweetness and milk chocolate through the middle into a barrel and roasted finish. Whisky, oak, vanilla and milk chocolate with a roasted and burnt, charred base linger nicely on the palate. Flavorful and shows a nice balance between the base beer and the barrels, though it needs a little more boldness initially to put this one over the top.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. A little light on the palate unfortunately, but creamy enough, goes down fine and finishes slightly sticky. A touch of heat lingers on the palate.

OVERALL: This was a solid beer for sure, with nice flavors from the base beer and barrel working well together, but it wasn't quite up to the level of some others in the style. The look was a little light coming off the pour and the body lacked the weight that's needed in this style. The flavor could also be a little bigger initially, even though it recovers well after the swallow. Although all three of the BA stouts we drank were great, this one finishes last in the Great Canadian BA RIS Showdown. Nevertheless, I'd gladly drink this again, and would recommend it to anyone interested in the style. Thanks again Rutager. Beers were awesome!

3.8/5  rDev -11%

The pour is nearly black in color with a small khaki colored head. Plenty of roasted malt with a bit of coffee, chocolate, and bourbon. Tons and tons of barrel, which was a bit unexpected. The flavor offers a little less bourbon and vanilla notes with a bit more roasted malt flavor, along with some bitter chocolate. Light coffee and malt sweetness. The bourbon comes out a bit more as the beer warms up.

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

22oz bottle split three ways in wine glasses. Received as an extra from generous BA csano in a recent trade. Thanks!

Appearance: Careful pour yields a small tannish head. Pours black and leaves no lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt. Light pistachio aroma. Cola. Boozy and bourbony with time.

Taste: Cocoa and roasted malt. One-dimensional but nice. Not much barrel character at all. Hides its alcohol very well, but doesn't coax too much flavor out of it.

Smooth, tastes good, just not enough depth to jump from good to great.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Not particularly dry or sugary.

Overall: Good, but doesn't quite get there. Probably should have drank this 2~3 months ago when I received it, as some of the other reviews suggest to me that the balance and flavor were a lot better when it was fresher. Not too uncommon with barrel aged beers, I think.

Either way, enjoyable of you like roasty stouts (I do).

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Reddish dark brown to black body, with half finger head, you can actually lots of bubbles as well. Good amount of lacing.

S: Bourbon (but not overpowering), vanilla, dark cherries maybe? some dark fruits, sweet malt, nice!

T: Bourbon is not as strong in the taste as in the nose. Vanilla is also there but not as much. Not much chocolate or coffee either. Malt, little bit of hops, sweet caramel, some char. You can taste the alcohol, but not too overpowering. In a way, there is really no dominant ingredients in this beer. I wish it had more bourbon character to it though. I taste sweet caramel and malt the most.

EDIT: so, I cheated and read the reviews by others and I agree with one person who wrote that they tasted Orange. It was some sweet fruit I was tasting, but I couldn't make out what it was. This beer kind of tastes like those chocolate that comes in a shape of orange... I cannot remember the name of it, but it has that orange flavor mixed in with the chocolate. This particular flavor comes across more when the beer is served colder. As it gets warmer, the beer tastes more like sweet caramel. Very interesting I would say!

M: I think the body is a bit on the thin side for beer this big (but please note that I had Hunahpu last night... which happens to be one of the thickest beers I have ever had). Carbonation is also a bit higher than expected. Not much alcohol burn though.

O: Very solid beer. At $19.99 (USD) though, price is very steep. Definitely worth a try, but not my favorite BA Stout. If you want to try a bottle, please holler at me. I live in Seattle =)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%

Looked brown and black, not the most impressive appearance, no lasting head/retention/lace. Aroma, strong on the bitter, tart and alcohol notes, but yet, not really given its strength.

Taste was good, the thin body made me think this had just outright liquor added to the barrel, rather than just getting its character from the barrel. Prime the pump. Heavy roast character, some bitter tart thing going on, interesting, different. Chocolate, licorice and vanilla. Really don't pick up oak or barrel as much as I do alcohol, but relative to its abv, its really not all that omniprescient.

One of the best beers I've had from Canada. Who brought this to the Solar Eclipse party? Was it Crystel and her man? Sure am glad I took a picture and notes, as relying on my own independent recollection on this one, is uh, questionable.

Another beer shared by dc55110, thanks Dan!

It says on the bottle that this is a beer of infinite density. The ABV is up there too so I was certainly intrigued. However, it was exactly opposite to the expectations... looked thin and clear dark brown, quite a few shades left of jet black. Drank like any other stout with a splash of liquor... I found it tough to discern any quality barrels in there. On top of that there was a tartness typical to some stouts that was offputting.

Good roasty character was pretty much the only redeeming side of this beer to me.

3, 3, 3, 3, 3

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%

I scribbled a detailed review for this on a napkin when I sampled it.

I noted it’s earthy and bourbon scented aroma, its low alcohol profile in the mouth feel even with its relatively high percentage. I appreciated its subtle complexities melding flavours of licorice with the typically roasted and malty elements of the genre and even thought it would be great paired with wild game like Elk or Caribou.

I then thanked my wife for picking me up a bottle while in BC and ended up crossing out what I had written and putting in its place the words "Extremely Enjoyable" . That pretty much sums it up for me.

Singularity from Driftwood Brewery