Baltic Porter | Chuckanut Brewery & Kitchen

Added by beertunes on 03-04-2013

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

What a quality made Baltic Porter. I have nothing bad to say about this beer. Nice bold, cloudy, dark brown look. Nice medium/heavy, mostly medium brown malts. Barely any acidity. Very faint coffee and chocolate. Nothing overpowering, very well-balanced. Full-bodied.

Overall - Clean and tasty. I wish they would create and release this more often. It's been 2-3 years since they last had this on tap. What a shame we have to wait that long for such a great beer.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was fortunate enough to catch the brief November 2013 run of this 1 year aged baltic porter. Have enjoyed it every time it comes on tap, but this was special. Dark garnet. Tan head. Smooth, heavy mouthfeel. Alcohol sits quietly in the back row until the nice glow hits a few minutes after the first sip. I'm not one to taste all the nuances that others can in their beers, but this is dark fruit all the way. Reminds me some of a Belgian double. Considerable sweetness well balanced with hop bitterness. No competing hop flavors or aromas. As with Chuckanut's lagers, wonderful malt aftertaste that lingers.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a lightly translucent black, with just under 1/2inch of tan head that had moderate retention & lacing.

The aroma is mostly gentle grains, with some very light roast. Just the right amount of roast IMHO, enough to be noted, not so much as to dominate or distract. There's just a touch of floral, earthy hops, and, perhaps, a tiny bit of yeast spice. On the tongue, there was a nice blend of flavors, slightly sweet malts, grain oriented malts, hints of hops, and a judiciously delicate bit of roast on the finish.

The body is full, smooth, even, and nicely light. Drinkability is amazing, I had 5 pints a couple nights ago, and am having a hard time sticking to my ticker nature. I just keep ordering these things. Overall, I don't have a lot of experience with this style, but I have a hard time seeing a better American made version. A must try. Worth a trip to Bellingham, WA for. Hopefully, this will sell good, and we can convince the brewery to at least put this into yearly rotation. Preferably, several times a year.

Baltic Porter from Chuckanut Brewery & Kitchen