Ubu Ale | Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company

Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company
New York, United States
ubuale.com

Style: English Strong Ale

Our famous English-style Strong Ale, deep garnet red in color, with a smooth, hardy taste and a nice warm feeling to follow.

Added by sponberg on 10-20-2002

Review says optional. Was not

2.22/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured from the bottle into my perfect pint glass. Thanks to charlesw for this.

A - goes from light brown to a dark brown at the top. A nice sized off white head rests on top

S - Some sweet toasted malt notes but not much going on here.

T - Follows the aroma with some sweet toasted malt notes but then there is a sickly alcohol flavor mixed in as well. Not a fan

M - medium bodied, slightly sticky, fair amount of carbonation

D - Don't really care for it much. has a funny cheap alcohol taste to it. I'm glad to have tried it but don't intend to try it again.

2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

2.29/5  rDev -38.3%

Pours a very nice dark brown, rich, creamy brown head...long-lasting with delicate lacing. Very beautiful in the glass. Aroma is sweet, caramel with hints of dark chocolate. Then things begin to go poorly...the beer's taste is malty yet overwhelmingly dominated by roasty and strange molasses flavors that don't mesh well. Overcarbonated, with a sharp, stinging carbonation.

2.35/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

2.41/5  rDev -35%

Bottle: Poured a medium black color ale with a nice foamy off-white head with standard retention. Aroma of roasted malt is kind of weak and I could not find anything else really. Taste is also a bit thin with some roasted malt and not much else going on. As mentioned, body is thin and carbonation is low I’ve had much better beer form that style to truly care about that one.

2.43/5  rDev -34.5%

Sampled from a friend's shipment of beer of the month.

A- Cloudy amber with a good 1in. tan head that dissipated quickly. Minimal lacing.

S- Very strong malt scent.

T- The hops attack your tongue but quickly yield to an overwhelming (for me) malty flavor finishing more bitter than I would've liked.

M- Heavy

Not really my kind of beer, but I can appreciate the characteristics it illustrates as a dark brown ale.

2.49/5  rDev -32.9%

Given a single bottle by my next door neighbor. Poured at fridge temp into a Duvel tulip. Very dark brown, light khaki head, great lacing. Aroma is roast barley and licorice, Flavor is upfront sickly sweet with a charred bitterness and a metallic aftertaste. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel. This beer tastes terrible and is a trainwreck.

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

2.62/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured from a 12 oz into a tulip, showed very nice head retention. I would call it a deep red with a foamy cream color head.

Not much on the nose, a little jammy with hints of dried tree fruits. Other than that maybe a possible woody earthiness? Maybe it was possible, I couldn't smell anything in this!

Light on the malt from what I was expecting but there is a bit of toasted chocolaty roasted flavor going on a bit of woodiness on the palate, but finishes with a cloying hop presence that left me with nothing else to detect. It's kind of like a brown ale.

Not too thick not too thin, from the flavors coming as subtely as they were and then kind of vanishing I'd say this was a good mouth feel if something's going to balance out.

Not a bad beer, but far from good. I'd never buy it again. I'm ashamed of spending $10 on a 6 pack for it.

2.69/5  rDev -27.5%

Sweet even for a 7% ale.
Slightly sticky and offputting in the aroma.
With the following this beer has I guess I expected more out it.

Very average, not impressive.
The sweet malt up front was quite inviting, I must admit, but the finish was thin and seemed to have an overpowering scent of residual sugars. What is the FG on this?

The sticker and marketing are great the beer is average!!!

2.7/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Too much of a hearty beer for me without a lot of flavor payback

2.7/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

On tap at Cambridge Common. One day I will go through all my beer reviews and tally up the ones named after dogs, labeled with dogs, made from dogs... dogs, dogs, dogs. Here's another beer named for a dog. What brewery *doesn't* have a dog?

As strong ales go, this one is a 98-lb weakling. I thought at first it was just too cold so I let it sit for a while; as it warmed, it gained nothing. The aroma is thin; the taste is flat except for a brief peek from some Cokey pepper. Lake Placid? More like Lake Flaccid. Not a great choice.

2.83/5  rDev -23.7%

Appearance:

Deep dark mahogany; little to no head.

Smell:

Little to no aroma present on this one. How can you brew a 7.0% alcohol beer and not have any aroma?

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Very hoppy with little of the malt characteristic promised on label. Reminds me of an IPA that is dark. A definite letdown for me.

Ubu Ale from Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company