Ubu Ale | Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company

Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company
New York, United States
ubuale.com

Style: English Strong Ale

Our famous English-style Strong Ale, deep garnet red in color, with a smooth, hardy taste and a nice warm feeling to follow.

Added by sponberg on 10-20-2002

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%

Obtained in a "mystery box" trade with chairmissing. Thanks for the goodie, Brandon!

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a gingerbread brown with a thick and frothy ecru-colored head that demonstrated respectable retention. Any signs of lacing was MIA.

Smell: Oooh, if this thing tastes as good as it smells, then i'm in for a real treat. Sweet caramel malt, bready (specifically gingerbread), and rum-soaked dark fruits. The scent reminds me of a Belgian quad. I wonder why it's rAvg is under 4.0?

Taste: Oh, that's why. Very, very watered-down. My taste buds are really searching for that flavor detected in the aroma, but they're being left out to dry here. Maybe, just maybe, some subtle hints of the malt and fruits if I really try to focus on it...and that's a stretch.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and slightly overcarbinated. Expecting something thicker, chewy, and sticky. Damn.

Overall: This type of strong ale reminds me of a smooth summer time drink that one turns to when they're feeling extremely dehydrated. I'm sorry, but I like my strong ales to be, well, strong (not in the ABV category, but according to my smell and taste receptors).

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

Had again at a recent Saranac/Lake Placid sampling and I decided to finally review it.

A-Brown with a tan head (to the point where I thought this was a brown ale)

S-A little bit of roasted malts but not much else.

T-A strong roasted malt and coffee flavors, nuts in there as well. Very similar in taste to a good brown ale IMO.

M-Medium bodied, creamy with slight carbonation.

O-I haven't had anything else from Lake Placid but this beer is decent and was worthy the retry.

3.79/5  rDev +2.2%

A- This one pours a rich brown with a tan head that sticks the whole time, and leaves a lot of lace notches down my glass.

S- Really not picking up much here besides grain and maybe some malt, my buddy confirms this so I'm not crazy here.

T- Now this is more like it. Nutty, bitter chocolate, malty backbone, I pegged this as an imperial brown. Some esthery alcohol notes warm the throat.

O- Really nice beer from Lake Placid here, pleasantly surprised by this beer that I hadn't heard until about 20 seconds before I poured it into my glass.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

12oz bottle poured into a Nonic glass.

Appearance- Dark, cola colored, beautiful two-fingered head which retains beautifully, leaving a lovely lacing on the glass too.

Smell- Hops, and something sweet underneath, something sweet, but dark like figs or dates. Intriguing.

Taste- Reminds me of a Scottish Ale. Initially taste of hops up front, but not like a Pale Ale at all. More roasted and coffee-like with a lingering aftertaste that isn't unpleasant.

Overall- a nice beer that I found enjoyable, by the end of the review I wish to note approval of the 7% ABV which took no time to warm me up. Also a pleasant surprise. Very decent, acceptable brew.

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a dark brown with garnet highlights. Head is beige, long lasting, and leaves a light wall of lace.

S: Struggled to get a lot of the nose. A very simple aroma of sweet malts, dark fruits, toffee, and earthy hops.

T: Doesn't really remind me of a strong ale. Flavor has some rich malts including toffee and caramel notes, brown sugar, nuts, & some dark fruts. Earthy hops which gives it a nice bitter finish.

M: Mild carbonation; medium-full body; a creamy, almost buttery texture.

O: This one is easy for me to find here in NY and is reasonably priced- so it makes it a nice go to beer. Not my favorite version of the style however. If someone asked me if I would want one I would definitely take it- can drink 4-5 of these no problem.

3.22/5  rDev -13.2%

A : aggressive pour into a tupli yields a big tan head, thick and frothy. Color is dark brown with a hint of ruby edge.

S : smells of cleaning solution a bit. a little bit of booze and a hint of dried or candied fruit. a bit of sweet honey type malt and very little hop.

T : dark malt flavor up front with a slightly bittersweet chocolate back. A hint of coffee and a bit of slightly flavor, slightly bitter hops towards the back end of the brew. A bit of booze centralized, but nothing else really. The malt character is quite nice.

M : despite the big head after the pour, the carbonation is low and easy going. A full bodied brew with a bit of a wet finish, yet clean.

An interesting beer for sure. A big malt body with nice hop, but all the balance is towards the malty front. A good beer but not something I'd buy very often.

3.86/5  rDev +4%

A - pours a deep brown with ruby on the edges, and a huge frothy tan head. Very good look.

S - dark fruits, caramel and toffee malts. Not too exciting, but nice.

T - Nice big malty body with some fruity sweet and tart undertones. chocolate comes through a bit. Not too bad.

M - pretty light, somewhat smooth, a medium body.

O (D) - interesting, pretty good. Malt forward.

I poured this UBU Ale from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. It poured a nice rich dark brown with khaki colored head that remained and had some nice lacing.

The nose is rich and malty. Pretty straight forward and not overly complex but rich, simple, and elegant.

The taste is initially malty with a subtle sweetness that lingers until a very subtle crisp finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice crisp finish.

Overall this is a very nice and enjoyable beer that is very easy to drink. I would certainly not hesitate picking it up the next time you see it. Enjoy!!!

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

Got this from mjtierman, Cheers Matt!

Pours chestnut with 2+ fingers of mocha colored head. Good head retention & decent lacing

S: Dark fruit & leafy hops & boozy figs once warm

T: Faint caramel, leafy hops, & some metallic notes up front. Tobacco notes, a bit of plum & faint cherries. Finishes some what watery, with leafy hop notes & a whisper of figs& a touch of booze

MF: Medium bodied with fairly assertive carbonation, starts to thin out as this warms.

Maybe this past its prime, either way this failed to excite me

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

I picked this up based on a friend's window sticker. I know that is a great measure to purchase beer by.

After picking up a 6-pack, I asked my friend about it. He asked where I got it.

On the pour, I had a decent amount of aroma. I picked up malts, hoppiness, and some nuttiness.

The taste came through like a stronger brown. The nuttiness was stronger, and hops balanced out well. This was easy to drink, and so I had another.

I paired this with open pit barbeque, and it matched very well.

I match my friends sentiments. This is a very good beer.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance - dark auburn colour, very clean and crisp looking. some good head, off-white and some nice lacing.

Smell - good combination of hops, malts. very nice pine smell with slight hints of caramel.

Taste - found this to be a more malty/caramel tasting beer with a dry aftertaste. there is no pine taste to this beer at all.

Mouthfeel - added bitterness, more volume, lasting flavour. there really isnt much more of a dynamic added here.

Overall - Not impressed, this is a beer i am happy i tried, but not something that blows my mind.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%

First try for Lake Placid, but wasn't overly impressed.

Pours a dark redish color, almost brown. Looks almost more stout than ale.

Strong aromas of the malts and barley.

Taste is malty, virtually no hops I could make out.

Average ale, certainly much better on the market.

This beer rocks. I am not an official beer tester, so I won't try to impress you with terms I don't normally use. This beer is thick and tasty and that is what I'm always on the hunt for.I LOVE this beer !!!! If you l want to experience what I believe beer tasted like back in the Colonial days and before mass produced watery beer became the norm, then this is an excellent selection. Highly recommended by me. Enjoy!

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

6-pack from Big Z Beverage ~mid Feb 2011

Appearance: Moderate head that quickly fades, dark red color, crystal clear.

Smell: moderate malt sugars, crisp, cereal notes, mild notes of caramel.

Taste: similar to a good bitter? crisp clean malt sugars, minimal hops, bran flakes, bran-ish finish that is short.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, no issues

Drinkability: a good session choice. something about this strikes me as very British, but it could be just me.

Recommended. Taken this camping and woodsmoke in the air just kicks it up another gear IMO.

2.96/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance: Clear, mahogany color with a big, three-finger tan, fluffy head

Aroma: Sweet toasted malt, toffee and cherries

Taste: Toasted malt upfront, quickly followed by a really sweet backbone that has some nuttiness to it. It finishes watery and lingering, with a harsh bitterness.

The Rest: Body is on the thin side of medium, and drinkability is OK. The balance isn't great on this beer.

3.46/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a reddish brown colour with a large size frothy light brown coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 few minutes before it was completely gone.

Smell - malts, smoke, toffee, coffee, roasted/toasted nuts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation but it still feels fairly creamy on the tongue. There is a lot of sweet toffee like flavour with a malty smokiness mixed in. I can also taste notes of coffee and roasted/toasted nuts. It finishes with a sweet smoky aftertaste.

Drink - I've had this previously on tap and it had a really pleasing scent. The bottle didn't seem to do it justice. Still an above average beer and highly drinkable given the alcohol level.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours dark brown/black with a touch of foam at the top but very little. Chocolately smell. Malty. Light coffee taste, mild hop throughout. Subtley carbonated. Residual cola taste. Very drinkable, solid beer.

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into a tall American pub glass...

The liquid was brown with red hues and a thin, creamy white head.

It smells a little sour, and malty, it's sweet with an earthy hop presence.

I tasted nutty malt, sweet caramel, raisin, with a lemony finish and quite a unique flavor.

This beer is smooth and thick with medium carbonation.

The beer was really good, the rich flavor probably would limit me to only one or two of these.

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Black colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is chocolate malts.Taste is cocoa,hops and sugar cane.The alcohol gives a nice warming.Overall a good beer that is perfect for a cold winter day.I would recommend to try at least once and I would certainly purchase this again.

4.08/5  rDev +10%

On tap at George Keeley's, upper West Side, NYC, on a very cold day in January.

VERY fond of this one:

A- v. dark, reminiscent of the Old Engine Oil, with a hint of magenta when held up to the light. Slight head, but excellent lacing on the glass.

S- Malty, a bit nutty.

T- nice balance struck between the hops and malt, with malt taking the lead.

M- Medium bodied, low carbonation, very smooth.

D- Very drinkable. Not a session beer for the faint of heart (7%), but a worthy member of the rotation.

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a flying bison pint glass.

A- Very dark brown, almost black with a reddish hue, and a dark white head.

S- Smells malty and sugary, with a nice nutty touch to it.

T- I know this is an "American String Ale" but this plays alot like a porter, it has a nutty sugary taste, with a sour after taste.

M- Nice nutty dry taste with a sugary sour bite.

D- Drinkable def, very tasty.

2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

On tap at Cambridge Common. One day I will go through all my beer reviews and tally up the ones named after dogs, labeled with dogs, made from dogs... dogs, dogs, dogs. Here's another beer named for a dog. What brewery *doesn't* have a dog?

As strong ales go, this one is a 98-lb weakling. I thought at first it was just too cold so I let it sit for a while; as it warmed, it gained nothing. The aroma is thin; the taste is flat except for a brief peek from some Cokey pepper. Lake Placid? More like Lake Flaccid. Not a great choice.

3.97/5  rDev +7%

very dark brown, almost black. but almost no head.

this is labeled as a "Strong Ale", which I guess is kind of a catch all, but the aroma and taste I would discribe as more of a Porter character. somewhat sweet and malty, with slight flavors of roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate.

easy to drink, and paired well with a barbaque dinner.

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

What does "American Strong Ale" refer to here? Ubu has some mad-British ester potency. Stupid fruity with a strawberry bent. Pours with a lovely foam dome - long lasting. Foggy-dense pale-rose-red color. Malty and fruity through and through. Light-moderate biscuit edge to the malt - hops, all but silent. 7%? - not tasting or feeling it...

My take on this is that it's a jacked-up-yeasty-estery British pale ale. Almost a creamy wit thing going on as well.

Nice to finally try this, but where does this fit into my beerin' life-style? Noteworthy, I suppose.

2.22/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured from the bottle into my perfect pint glass. Thanks to charlesw for this.

A - goes from light brown to a dark brown at the top. A nice sized off white head rests on top

S - Some sweet toasted malt notes but not much going on here.

T - Follows the aroma with some sweet toasted malt notes but then there is a sickly alcohol flavor mixed in as well. Not a fan

M - medium bodied, slightly sticky, fair amount of carbonation

D - Don't really care for it much. has a funny cheap alcohol taste to it. I'm glad to have tried it but don't intend to try it again.

Ubu Ale from Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company