Fest | Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company

Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company
New York, United States
ubuale.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

Added by Hojaminbag on 10-19-2011

Reviews by Hojaminbag:
3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

After checking out the reviews for the “Ectoberfest” from Lake Placid, I decided to create a new listing for what was simply referred to as “fest” on the chalkboard at the brewpub.

After a few days of backpacking in the rain in the High Peaks area, I was ready to grab dinner a beer at the Lake Placid Brewpub. Seeing that there was a fest on the blackboard was exciting, as I love a good fest beer, especially when I am thirsty.

Immediately upon being served, I noticed that this O-fest wasn't a normal version of the style because it was the same color as the UBU served to my buddy. It had a dark brown to black body, with a creamy brown head that showcases solid retention and lacing.

Smelling it gave me whiffs of fruity yeast and some darker than expected malts for the style (although the color gave it away).

Upon my first sip of this, I half expected that my nose had fooled me and I would be taking a sip of UBU (worse things have happened -- that UBU is a good beer, especially straight from the source). I was wrong however, because what I got is some version of an O-fest. The malt is darker than I have encountered for any other example of the style, with notes of chocolate and a little bit of roast even. Beyond that some toasted caramel malt comes through. The hops are light and earthy, barely poking their way through the malt. The yeast comes through also, with a light fruitiness.

The body might be a touch full for the style, but it stacks up as about average against a lot of the American takes on the style.

Not a bad beer. Smooth and malty, just a little heavier malt than I expected from the style.

This is not generally one of my favorite beer styles so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this beer. I found it to be a standout amongst the brewery’s offerings (along with Ubu on tap, not bottled). It poured a dark brown color with a good head that hung around a while. Lacing was solid. Smell full of very rich bready malt, bigger in the nose than your typical Ocktoberfest offering. The taste was similar – very malty and rich, with a slightly roasted character, some caramel sweetness, and a touch of very restrained bitter hops. Smooth and creamy with medium carbonation. I’ve been drinking a fair amount of Ocktoberfests this year as I’ve been out at the beer gardens and honestly I found this one to be more flavorful than many of the German originals. Interestingly my favorite so far has been Ramstein’s so maybe I just like the American take on this style better overall.

I’d definitely have another glass upon returning if the season was right.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%