Jester

From:
Indigo Imp Brewery

Ohio, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Notes:
Reviews: 52 | Ratings: 77 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by PDXHops:
1.64/5  rDev -44%

12 ounce bottle from Ryan011235, poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Slightly hazy orange with a fizzy soda pop-style head that's gone in a flash. No head, no lace. I do like the hue, though.

Smells bready with a vague fruity marmalade quality. I suppose there's a light stray spicy Belgian yeast note in there somewhere, but as this stuff warms up, the fruit smells take a turn toward tart and overpowering territory.

Holy mackerel, tart indeed, not to mention sorta rotten tasting. Multiple tiny sips are required to evaluate this critter, and tiny sips are frankly all I care to venture. Vegetative, medicinal, somehow with a fruitiness that's simultaneously tart, almost sour, but overripe. The abundant carbonation does this stuff no favors; then again, the level of carbonation is probably the least of the concerns here.

4.2/5  rDev +43.3%

What can I say I've had the Blonde Bombshell and this one so far and I like these funky sours. These aren't the most refined versions, rustic Cleveland open fermentation with water from the filtered Cuyahoga? I don't what their water source is but this Belgian style funk pale ale is a hazy unfiltered copper orange hue with a white bright head that dwindles pretty damn quick. Minimal scattered lacing, nose has a nice banana bread yeast note with hints of spice and mild citrus notes. Something gives off a lactic creamy yogurt sensation. Flavor is sour makes you pucker enough but nothing that drys the throat leaves a bit of dryness in the finish. Fruity with citrus and banana mild clove and spicy tones, a bit of a solvent chemical touch as the sour apple and lemon citrus flavors peak but it blends in without much harshness. Again the creamy lactic notes brings out hints of citrus fruit and greek yogurt blended. Mouthfeel is medium bodied not cloying just a bit sour with a dry presence after each sip, I could see the acidity bother the faint at heart or the GERD suffering community a bit. Drinkability is good, I'm actually able to gulp this sour ale and enjoy the flavors or I could slowly sip and really analyze the complexity from the open fermentation, I'm a fan.

1.93/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A strange beer, actually quite unpleasant and not to my taste at all.

Poured from a 12oz bottle, a good pour resulting in a lasting foamy head.

Appearance: slightly cloudy amber appaerance. the beer is unpasteurised and unfiltered so you may end up with sediment in the glass

Aroma: A sour aroma, hints of fruit.

Taste: the further in got down the glass the harder it was to finish, a sour unpleasant taste.

mouthfeel: plenty of carbonation.

Overall not a beer i'd recommmend or try again.

3.56/5  rDev +21.5%

Bottle poured into snifter

A: hazy gold orange color, no head what so ever

S: light malt aroma, nice belgian yeast aroma

T: light buttery malt, little bitterness. Slightly watery, but ok none the less. A lot better than I was expecting

M&d: light bodied, nice amount of carbonation. Certainly fits the belgian pale style well

Cheers!!!

2.63/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with an overwhelmingly large head; nice stick age, however

Smell: Vaguely cidery, with a bit of toffee underneath

Taste: Toffee, up front, with a growing sour cidery aspect; increasingly tar, on the finish, with an odd toffee flavor that provides a contrast, underneath

Mouthfeel: Light body with fizzy carbonation

Overall: What a strange beer this is; a battle in contrast

Thanks, Cresant, for the opportunity

2.06/5  rDev -29.7%

I read about this brewery last year but never gave it another thought until I found them at my local and thought I'd give them a go. Reviews of this pale have not been kind, and judging by the sour smell coming the pour, I have a feeling...

I wouldn't even say the smell is like sour wine, but more like olive oil. I looked for a born on date, with none to be found. A bit of the grain used and a hint of hops.

Looks the standard orange to amber, little head and little lace. There was a good bit of carbonation which kept the slightlace alive.

Mouth :DAH! WHAT IS THIS? My honest reaction as i puckered from the sour but it is slightly creamy and goes down like water.

Okay. I'll be objectionable as possible. I don't know if this could be called a Pale Ale, but it reminds me of some low end pales I've tried at a BA. Totally lemon, sour with a hit of hops but the sour isn't like a lemon head sour, but a "turned beer" sour. There is a mid note of some sort of pale ale, but then the olive oil taste comes through.

Sorry, it's a drain pour for me. Bad batch perhaps, but seeing the reviews before me. I'll let this stand.

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy hue, almost like strawberry blonde. Scents of very yeasty esthers and lemon, maybe rind. Flavors are a bit off. Too yeasty of a taste, maybe could be a bit more mellow..with age. Pretty easy to drink. Very fruity and overwhelming. Not bad but not great either.

2.84/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz bottle purchased in Kent OH, first time I've seen it in a store. I was kind of excited to try a new OH brewery but this beer wasn't all I'd hoped. First off, the appearance was marred by absolutely NO HEAD. I could see bubbles and some carbonation inside the hazy translucent gold body but nothing on top. The aroma seems Belgian, lightly hoppy and a good amount of esters. The taste was OK I guess, some bubblegum and a little bit of Unibroue yeast profile, kind of hits the mark. The body is thick and lightly carbonated, probably too thick for the style and a bit of a chore to drink. I'll pass on it in the future.

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A - pours with a short lived inch of loose, light tan foam, settling to a thin film. the beer is mostly clear, light copper in color with active bubbling.

S - bright and yeasty, with some fruity apples and banana. slight mildewy mustiness carries throughout, with some slightly cooked veggies and grains.

T - some flashes of fruit, red apples, pear, and some over-ripened banana. chiming in after that is some yeast, complete with phenols. complete lack of hops leave this unfinished at the end.

M - thin body, with a little below average level of carbonation. extremely odd and sticky after the swallow, and a bit unpleasant.

D - drinkable, bordering unpleasant. held back severely by an awkward, sticky and irritating mouthfeel. not much good to pull out of this.

3.19/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a very hazy amber, exhibiting significant chill haze. A half-inch head forms on the pour, falling to a film over the beer. No lacing at all.

S: Yeast, banana, some clove and overripe fruit are present in the nose. A bit funky.

T: Some maltiness is evident on the palate at first, followed by fruit and some spiciness. The beer finishes fairly dry. Hops are not really evident.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly light; the carbonation is unobtrusive, but present.

D: Neither quaffable nor a sipper, this beer is easy enough to drink without being a real session beer.

Overall: Nothing on the label suggests that this "pale ale" (as it is described in the notes on the back label) is brewed with Belgian-style yeast (I figured that out only after visiting the brewer's web site), so a drinker expecting an American or English pale ale will be very surprised by this beer. Understanding that caused me to re-evaluate this beer; as anything other than a Belgian style it would be way out of bounds. As a Belgian-style pale ale, it's decent enough, if not in any way outstanding. It has a nice drinkability without the overwhelming strength of the bigger dubbels or "abbeys" on the market. There is a bit of funkiness throughout the beer, I suspect due to the open vessel fermentation. I'll come back to this beer when looking for something different and "Belgiany" without the high gravity. If only it were prettier in the glass . . .

2.31/5  rDev -21.2%

I am a native (and old) Clevelander, but still I passed on this the first couple times I saw this. I guess I should have kept passing. Hopefully this brand will pass too.

There isn't much to like with this one. I will be careful to not pour ANY of the sediment on the next one, as it obviously imparts a nasty bad-homebrew type taste. Often I relish some tasty yeast sediment, but not here. This one is not so good.

It reminds me of the bottom of your fridge - that rotted unindentifiable stuff with a sweet smell. I will wait until I have had a few to drink the rest of these and avoid this brand in the future.

Edit 2-17-2012. I met a nice young man that works at this brewery today and looking at this review I realize I was EXTREMELY harsh. I'm sorry, Cory. I am trying Dragon Stout and I may try others. Bob

2.19/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle served in shaker pint.

A: Pours a deep, murky, dirty gold. Not much different than a blended Arnold Palmer. Head is small and after a very short time it has completely disappeared. This one is not off to a good start.

S: Initially smells of a very weak version of weizen yeast. Some fruity, estery aromas are hanging around as well. Maybe a slight lactic sourness is lingering in the background. Meh.

T: This one is kinda messy. Very bland up front, pale malt and not much else. Followed up with some cidery flavors. Finishes with a vague sweet and sour note. Aftertaste is mildly sour, but not pleasantly so.

M: Undercarbonated. Weak mouthfeel. Has a slightly chalky feel in the finish.

D: Very low. I'm considering a drainpour, which is something I NEVER do. It's not that it's disgusting or undrinkable, I just find it completely boring. I feel like I'm wasting my time by drinking this beer.

I appreciate that fact that this brewery uses some open fermentation in an attempt to create unique beers. Unfortuneatly, it doesn't really work out in the final product. Since this is a (semi)local brewery I hope that they get it all sorted out. Hopefully the the bottle of porter I have from Indigo Imp is better than this offering.

2.55/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Duvel glass. No date. The body was a turbid butterscotch color. There was a creamy eggshell head that fell to a ring and left no lace.

The smell was of soft Belgian yeast. Slight bubblegum. There was a mild sourness too.

The taste was sweet and tart. Mildly peppery. Canned pears. Tonic water. Finishes dry and effervescent. A bit hollow, drinkable but dulled.

Mouthfeel was medium density with plenty of carbonation. Underwhelming overall really.

2.85/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Jester pours an interesting copper color. It’s very hazy, and looks a little orange with backlighting. Definitely intriguing for a Belgian Pale. It’s topped with a slightly off-white head. It stands about a finger tall and falls to a surface covering quickly. It holds firm there for a while. Lacing was light to moderate.

The nose is pretty good. It’s definitely spicy and fruity. Spicy clove and pepper might be attributable to the yeast. The yeast definitely has a Belgian character, but its presence could be stronger. Fruity notes of orange and apricot are there. Alcohol is not noticeable. It’s a little weak in terms of strength, and isn’t all that deep. Still smells pretty good.

The flavor is definitely a step or two below the nose. It kicks off with clove and pepper spice flavors. They’re not very intense, but don’t taste bad. The fruity orange and apricot flavors are much more subtle here. There’s a little yeast, but it’s faint and is only barely reminiscent of Belgian yeast. It just fades away from there. Alcohol is very light. Finishes with light spice and yeast flavors.

Jester has a lighter body that won’t be confused with anything Belgian. Carbonation is active, but doesn’t seem buzzy. Too thin to be smooth. It goes down relatively easy, but it’s not all that enjoyable.

To be fair, Jester isn’t a joke. It’s not very good beer, but it isn’t a total disaster. To be a successful Belgian Pale, it needs more of everything – aromatics, flavor, body – the works. If you ignore the style classification, it might be somewhat passable. In any event, it needs work.

2.58/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Hue of amber brown with a rather weak head. No retention or lace at all.

S: Spicy aroma with hints of corn, lemon, and yeast, and plastic.

T: Plastic. This one has a strange sour lemon, subtle sweetness going on. Hints of Belgian spice and more plastic. It's all over the place, in a not so good way.

M: Light in body, lacking carbonation.

D: Not really.

3.24/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Light murky apple juice, small near white head leaves fast to disk.

S - Sweet, cooked pit fruit.

T - Starts nice and fruity, Belgian yeast like, but gets sickly sweet at end.

M - Light carb and body, balance off to the sweet.

D - One is enough. Thank you!

3.11/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle conditioned Belgian ale. I can appreciate that. Flavor fits to style, but it's a bit too strong along several lines. More soapy than I'd prefer. There's a real strong yeasty citrus thing too. Feel is nice and it's pretty easy to drink, but if things were reigned in a lot more and characteristics more refined instead of all over the place, I could appreciate it more. An okay execution, but not quite where it should be.

2.7/5  rDev -7.8%

I got this beer from drgonzo3705. Thanks Paul!

L - lightly hazed copper color with a thin white head from a very slow pour to avoid getting all the yeast in the glass.

S - sour apricot with a candy sugar sweetness in the background.

T - sour fruit taste upfront with a hint of sweet before turning sour and a bit yeasty on the finish.

F - medium bodied with low carbonation.

O - I sat on this beer for a while and it reminded me sort of like a Belgian sour, a style I'm not a big fan of but have a slight appreciation for.

4.1/5  rDev +39.9%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, a small orange citrus hop and a small gingerbread like malt. In the taste, big orange citrus hops, and a small gingerbread like malt. A small hop bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry orange juice citrus in the aftertaste. Big citrus hops in an ale, actually kind of love it.

3.65/5  rDev +24.6%

Live Review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail clean, clear pint glass. $1.50 single bottle at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio.

A Orange brown glowing body and almost no head whatsoever. I do remember a brief head but after 30 seconds it is completely gone and I was trying to pour a head. Nice unfiltered yeasty body with sediment observable. No lacing.

S Belgian like malt and yeast, maybe some hops? It is not unlike a Belgian Dubbel but it is watered down. Inviting smell albeit a bit weak. I had to smell 3 times to get this information from this beer.

T A nice Belgian Dubbel like taste that reminds me a lot of Willoughby Brewing Company's Abbey Road Dubbel. I think that this is certainly more Belgian than it is Pale Ale. I do not taste much hops which I thought was a key aspect of a Pale Ale. Like the Blonde Bombshell that I tasted and rated earlier tonight, this beer is fairly simple in its taste, not changing much at all from first sip through to the aftertaste. I will make an educated guess and say that the ABV is likely about 7.0%

M Little to no carbonation. This has the feel of a thick, alcoholic punch.

D Good. I could have many of these.

Notes: A bit simplistic in its taste spectrum, this is a welcome taste to the Cleveland market and certainly the national market. I would not be surprised to see excellent things coming from Indigo Imp in the future. Great start guys!

1.57/5  rDev -46.4%

This one poured a hazy yellow orange with a 1/2" head that left a thin ring of bubbles around the edge. The smell is cotton candy, bubblegum, light sweet fruits, and a slight hint of some sour lemon. The taste is actual really bad. There is a strong mouth puckering sour lemon flavor that dominates everything. The sweetness tries to come through but is beaten back by the sourness. There is no carbonation at all in the feel of this one and it is very thin and watery. The drinkability is horrible and this was a very rare drainpour for me. I really wanted to like this but I guess my wife is still the only good thing to come out of Ohio.

3.5/5  rDev +19.5%

3.52/5  rDev +20.1%

10/04/10- Had a 12 oz bottle of this.
A: Hazy amber honey milk; it poured with a small head that turned into a VERY small collar.
S: Orange pulp, milky caramel toasted bread.
T: Lemon finish, spicy (almost like pumpkin pie) caramel and orange peel. Nicely refreshing.
M: Syrupy, spritzy, only OK.
D: Really good.

In my experience, Indigo Imp is hit-and-miss from bottle to bottl. Their better stuff is always the soured bottles.

Jester from Indigo Imp Brewery