Jester | Indigo Imp Brewery

Indigo Imp Brewery
Ohio, United States
indigoimpbrewery.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by MCDuhamel on 04-22-2009

1.57/5  rDev -46%

This one poured a hazy yellow orange with a 1/2" head that left a thin ring of bubbles around the edge. The smell is cotton candy, bubblegum, light sweet fruits, and a slight hint of some sour lemon. The taste is actual really bad. There is a strong mouth puckering sour lemon flavor that dominates everything. The sweetness tries to come through but is beaten back by the sourness. There is no carbonation at all in the feel of this one and it is very thin and watery. The drinkability is horrible and this was a very rare drainpour for me. I really wanted to like this but I guess my wife is still the only good thing to come out of Ohio.

1.58/5  rDev -45.7%

On tap in a pint glass at Hal & Al's on 9/10/10

Unfiltered. Cloudy tangerine, pineapple juice highlights. Very murky. Poured no head. No lace.

The aroma is a weird cluster of bland, past-prime fruit - banana, apple, pear & hints of orange. A touch of Belgian style yeast, though lacking spiciness.

The taste isn't quite a bland, but is by no means good. Tart apple notes & some banana. Hints of hops. Slightly more spicy. Finishes kind of medicinal. Tastes as murky as it looks.

Medium body. Carbonation is moderate but not enough to augment the mild spices. Rotting fruit esters linger beyond the finish.

Certainly the shaker pint didn't help, but I doubt a tulip would cure what ails this beer. It's just not enjoyable at all. Indigo Imp is going to have to step up their game to hang in Cleveland.

1.64/5  rDev -43.6%

12 ounce bottle from Ryan011235, poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Slightly hazy orange with a fizzy soda pop-style head that's gone in a flash. No head, no lace. I do like the hue, though.

Smells bready with a vague fruity marmalade quality. I suppose there's a light stray spicy Belgian yeast note in there somewhere, but as this stuff warms up, the fruit smells take a turn toward tart and overpowering territory.

Holy mackerel, tart indeed, not to mention sorta rotten tasting. Multiple tiny sips are required to evaluate this critter, and tiny sips are frankly all I care to venture. Vegetative, medicinal, somehow with a fruitiness that's simultaneously tart, almost sour, but overripe. The abundant carbonation does this stuff no favors; then again, the level of carbonation is probably the least of the concerns here.

1.64/5  rDev -43.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, Tick.

A: Pours a turbid goldenrod capped with off-white foam. The murkiness is a distinct turnoff; even a careful pour couldn't avoid it, so I don't think it's sediment.

S: Reminds of shoe polish and mildew at first. Apples, bananas, some spice (clove?).

T: An overall muted flavor. I picked up some mild fruitiness: bananas, apples, orange rind. Yeast and spice in the finish. There's an odd shoe polish note in the exhalation.

M: Falls quickly off the tongue, with a watery finish.

D: Not my style. No one bothered with more than a small sip.

1.69/5  rDev -41.9%

Appearance - Slightly pink and blonde. Average lacing with a nice ring.

Smell - Slightly sour with hints of sewage. Not much else going on. Very dark fruits.

Taste - I definitely get that Belgian taste; it's just not very good. While the smell is sour one, it transfers into an unpleasant bitterness. The taste is entirely too bitter and unpleasant. It's very acidic with no hints of other Belgian properties.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Not very drinkable. Too bitter and unpleasantly rawly sour. Medium bodied. Just unpleasant.

1.74/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle thanks to Ryan011235, who I can always count on to supply me with the Indian Wells equivalents of the midwest.

The appearance is - WTF - extremely murky orange with a quickly fading off-white head. Looks disgusting.

The smell is rather wheaty with a bit of orange, almost like Blue Moon, which is not good.

The flavor is rather citric with sweet caramel and spice, with an acrid, off-putting finish. Man, this is rough.

Falls flat on the mouthfeel with some astringency and medium-light body.

Well, Ryan described Indigo Imp as the Indian Wells of Ohio, and judging by this beer, he's not far off. This is bad.

1.83/5  rDev -37.1%

A: Murky, light brown look. Minimal head.
S: Funky smell; almost like a spoiled fruit.
T: Fruity, but not distinctive. Bland taste relative to the more pungent smell.
M: Medium body with a slightly creamy feel.
O: I'm glad I got this as a single bottle in a make-your-own six pack.

1.92/5  rDev -34%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange/amber color with a half finger of off white head. The head goes away very quickly leaving just a trace around the edge of the glass.

Smell: This is a surprise. The smell is tart and a bit funky. Smells like this beer is going to be quite acidic. There is also a slight sweetness.

Taste: There is some sweet malt, tart fruit, and a note of cooked vegetables. This is a really weird beer. Acidic and sour, but not in a particularly good way. Had no idea what to expect and can't say that I'm a fan.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with large bubbles and a finish that isn't as dry as it should be.

Overall: I'm all for trying new things, but this is a terrible beer.

1.93/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A strange beer, actually quite unpleasant and not to my taste at all.

Poured from a 12oz bottle, a good pour resulting in a lasting foamy head.

Appearance: slightly cloudy amber appaerance. the beer is unpasteurised and unfiltered so you may end up with sediment in the glass

Aroma: A sour aroma, hints of fruit.

Taste: the further in got down the glass the harder it was to finish, a sour unpleasant taste.

mouthfeel: plenty of carbonation.

Overall not a beer i'd recommmend or try again.

2.06/5  rDev -29.2%

I read about this brewery last year but never gave it another thought until I found them at my local and thought I'd give them a go. Reviews of this pale have not been kind, and judging by the sour smell coming the pour, I have a feeling...

I wouldn't even say the smell is like sour wine, but more like olive oil. I looked for a born on date, with none to be found. A bit of the grain used and a hint of hops.

Looks the standard orange to amber, little head and little lace. There was a good bit of carbonation which kept the slightlace alive.

Mouth :DAH! WHAT IS THIS? My honest reaction as i puckered from the sour but it is slightly creamy and goes down like water.

Okay. I'll be objectionable as possible. I don't know if this could be called a Pale Ale, but it reminds me of some low end pales I've tried at a BA. Totally lemon, sour with a hit of hops but the sour isn't like a lemon head sour, but a "turned beer" sour. There is a mid note of some sort of pale ale, but then the olive oil taste comes through.

Sorry, it's a drain pour for me. Bad batch perhaps, but seeing the reviews before me. I'll let this stand.

2.19/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle served in shaker pint.

A: Pours a deep, murky, dirty gold. Not much different than a blended Arnold Palmer. Head is small and after a very short time it has completely disappeared. This one is not off to a good start.

S: Initially smells of a very weak version of weizen yeast. Some fruity, estery aromas are hanging around as well. Maybe a slight lactic sourness is lingering in the background. Meh.

T: This one is kinda messy. Very bland up front, pale malt and not much else. Followed up with some cidery flavors. Finishes with a vague sweet and sour note. Aftertaste is mildly sour, but not pleasantly so.

M: Undercarbonated. Weak mouthfeel. Has a slightly chalky feel in the finish.

D: Very low. I'm considering a drainpour, which is something I NEVER do. It's not that it's disgusting or undrinkable, I just find it completely boring. I feel like I'm wasting my time by drinking this beer.

I appreciate that fact that this brewery uses some open fermentation in an attempt to create unique beers. Unfortuneatly, it doesn't really work out in the final product. Since this is a (semi)local brewery I hope that they get it all sorted out. Hopefully the the bottle of porter I have from Indigo Imp is better than this offering.

2.25/5  rDev -22.7%

2.29/5  rDev -21.3%

A- Pours a orangey red with a thin off white head. Wait its not even the right color for Belgian pale?

S- Pear, spices, and Bavarian yeast.

T- Wow this is officially the worst attempt at a Belgian pale I've had. Flavors are thin and disjointed. Leads with bland malts and moves to spice note and yeast sourness.

M- Thin body with unrefined carbonation.

D- This is just bad how does this company justify asking what it does for a six pack of beer($8.99 I believe). I'm going to play Nostradamus and say this company will not survive. Third beer I've had from them all bad.

2.31/5  rDev -20.6%

I am a native (and old) Clevelander, but still I passed on this the first couple times I saw this. I guess I should have kept passing. Hopefully this brand will pass too.

There isn't much to like with this one. I will be careful to not pour ANY of the sediment on the next one, as it obviously imparts a nasty bad-homebrew type taste. Often I relish some tasty yeast sediment, but not here. This one is not so good.

It reminds me of the bottom of your fridge - that rotted unindentifiable stuff with a sweet smell. I will wait until I have had a few to drink the rest of these and avoid this brand in the future.

Edit 2-17-2012. I met a nice young man that works at this brewery today and looking at this review I realize I was EXTREMELY harsh. I'm sorry, Cory. I am trying Dragon Stout and I may try others. Bob

2.55/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Duvel glass. No date. The body was a turbid butterscotch color. There was a creamy eggshell head that fell to a ring and left no lace.

The smell was of soft Belgian yeast. Slight bubblegum. There was a mild sourness too.

The taste was sweet and tart. Mildly peppery. Canned pears. Tonic water. Finishes dry and effervescent. A bit hollow, drinkable but dulled.

Mouthfeel was medium density with plenty of carbonation. Underwhelming overall really.

2.58/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Hue of amber brown with a rather weak head. No retention or lace at all.

S: Spicy aroma with hints of corn, lemon, and yeast, and plastic.

T: Plastic. This one has a strange sour lemon, subtle sweetness going on. Hints of Belgian spice and more plastic. It's all over the place, in a not so good way.

M: Light in body, lacking carbonation.

D: Not really.

2.63/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with an overwhelmingly large head; nice stick age, however

Smell: Vaguely cidery, with a bit of toffee underneath

Taste: Toffee, up front, with a growing sour cidery aspect; increasingly tar, on the finish, with an odd toffee flavor that provides a contrast, underneath

Mouthfeel: Light body with fizzy carbonation

Overall: What a strange beer this is; a battle in contrast

Thanks, Cresant, for the opportunity

2.7/5  rDev -7.2%

I got this beer from drgonzo3705. Thanks Paul!

L - lightly hazed copper color with a thin white head from a very slow pour to avoid getting all the yeast in the glass.

S - sour apricot with a candy sugar sweetness in the background.

T - sour fruit taste upfront with a hint of sweet before turning sour and a bit yeasty on the finish.

F - medium bodied with low carbonation.

O - I sat on this beer for a while and it reminded me sort of like a Belgian sour, a style I'm not a big fan of but have a slight appreciation for.

Jester from Indigo Imp Brewery