Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Red Fox | Joseph James Brewing Inc.

Red FoxRed Fox
3.52/5
Good
Red FoxRed Fox

Joseph James Brewing Inc.
Nevada, United States
jjbrewco.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Russian Imperial Stout brewed with chocolate and roasted barley malts. This beer has essences of chocolate and roasted coffee and compliments many desserts. This heavy bodied beer is 9.3% ABV, 80 IBU's and is best enjoyed at 55°F-60°F.

Added by JBogan on 01-28-2009

1.5/5  rDev -57.4%

1.54/5  rDev -56.3%

Just terrible. Had on tap at Pub in the Monte Carlo because I saw that it was a local brewer.

Pour appears deep, dark black color, which is good and all. However, the head on the beer looks suspect. This is weird for me, but it looks kinda sickly... and it's kinda tough to put my finger on it. Large soapy bubbles on a one-inch tan head.

Aroma is okay, actually. Roasted coffee, chocolately, a little boozy - boozier than I would have expected considering that it's only a 9% impy stout. Pretty standard, nothing exciting here.

You know that fear you had as a child? For some it was monsters under the bed, for others it was the dark, for people like my brother it was going down escalators. Me, personally, I had a problem with clowns. I did not like clowns. Still don't, truth be told, but I remember it was a bigger problem for me back then. And that's what this beer tastes like - my childhood fear of clowns in beer form. Actually, if you picture John Wayne Gacy in his clown makeup and no pants, sitting at his breakfast table with a cup of coffee from a three day-old pot of Folgers, through the eyes of a terrified child, and can imagine what that image tastes like - that is this. Just awful, one of the worst tasting beers I've ever had. Burned coffee, burned malt, medicinal flavors, tar, alcohol, and chalky, poor-quality chocolate. Ugh. Holy shit, this just lingers on my tongue and the back of my throat. This beer saddens me.

Mouthfeel doesn't help this beers' cause. I just don't want to talk about this anymore, it's making me sad and afraid.

Drinkability. Ha. The only reason I had a second sip was to verify that I wasn't crazy and that this beer is really that terrible. Sent it back and got an IPA to cleanse this off my palate.

Just awful. My avatar is appropriate for this one.

1.75/5  rDev -50.3%

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

2.54/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.67/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.5

I dont regularly review anymore, but this terrible crap compelled me to bitch to you all about just that. The appearance is all there, along with the mouth feel, lacing, etc, but the rest is garbage...make mocha with old grinds, mix it with sherry and cheap chocolate wine, and boom, wuts happenin? Oh yea, your taste buds are crying and u wish u could puke yet onset alcoholism prevents u...shucks, me too. Going from Clown Shoes HOTH to this shit should have a warning. Fml

2.74/5  rDev -22.2%

I want to start by saying that I love that a local brewery is bottle beers, great for Vegas! But...once again I'm not too impressed. I dont think I ever got over the initial pour. Poured into Duvel tulip glass with zero head and retention. Smell was of some chocolate, coffee, malt but all very watered down it seemed like. Taste was a little bland, better warmer (as is expected with this style) but still nothing too dominant. Some chocolate, some coffee, toasted grain, vanilla, alcohol, but nothing stuck out. Mouthfeel was a little thin for the style. I cant complain too much cause the bomber was on $2.99. And I will say the ABV is very well hidden, just needed a little more "umph" to it.

2.74/5  rDev -22.2%

12oz bottle into Duvel Green tulip. Thanks for this one Rizalini.

A: Pours near black with a thick, bubbly, dark tan head that slowly faded into a thick fuzzy film.
S: I get rich notes of chocolate, roasted malt, toasted marshmallows with a hint of dark fruits.
T: Roasted flavors dominate. The chocolate is there as well alongside a bit of char. The finish is lightly fruity with flavors of prunes and raisins, and the aftertaste is bitter, smoky, and lightly alcoholic.
M: Ample, fizzy carbonation – a bit too much. Body is a bit too light as well, and the mouthfeel is spritzy and a little rough around the edges.
O: Not terrible but needs some work. The carbonation is distracting, and the flavors are thin and burnt.

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours an opaque black with a 1/2 inch foamy dark khaki head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of dark malt, cocoa, and slightly sour dark fruit aromas. Taste is quite sour with dark roasted malt, cocoa, and coffee bean flavors. There is an acidic quality and a mild roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, the sourness in the flavor of the beer is unexpected and definitely detracts from its score.

2.82/5  rDev -19.9%

Thanks to my parents for picking this up for me during their trip to Arkansas.

Just a few bubbles of medium brown foam after the pour. No foam or lacing after that. Clor is black with ruby/brown highlights. Not your opaque black abyss most are used to for the style.

Coffee syrup and cocoa liquer aroma. Strong and alcoholic, but the roasted malt aromas keep things in line. Maybe some walnut liquer in the scent as well.

Bitter roasted malt is the dominant flavor from front to finish. Some watery syrup flavored coffee with liquid chocolate product. The finish is is a weird yeasty, fruit and almost burnt malt mix.

This beer wasn't bad in my book, but off-putting for the style and my taste of course. Glad I got to try it though.

2.85/5  rDev -19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on November 30, 2013.

This is a beer that begins nice but ends badly. That would be my entire review but we have to have so many characters to post on Beer Advocate.

It is a very attractive looking dark brown to black pour with a long lasting tan head.

The aroma is full of chocolate malts more than anything else. I get little in the way of other malts or hops but I get plenty of chocolate.

The body is light to medium.

But the taste. Eww! Maybe I got a really bad bottle but all I'm getting is vinegar. Some chocolate but mainly vinegar. I rarely pour beers down the drain but this one may be destined for that finale.

2.88/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Color: dark and opaque. Head: reddish. Surprisingly little froth. Carbonated tingle.
Dry, liquor-like body heat after of first sip. Gets sweeter and smoother as you go. Pairs well with steak. For dessert try strawberries, cool-whip, and dessert cups. Drink slow: high ABV.

2.98/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz. bottle tried 10 Dec 2011. Courtesy of A&R, thanks for bringing this back from Vegas! Served in the 04. L Ulmer Munster snifter.

Large thick dark brown head that appears to be non self leveling. I think this is a first. Lightly carbonated. Clear dark brown in color. Aroma is sweet roasty malts and dark cocoa, a little on the light side for the style. Starts with lots of charred malt. Quite burnt bitter. Light body, warming ethanol. Finish and aftertaste redeem the start somewhat, a bit of licorice and charred wood, lingering sweetness and ethanol.

Needs work.

3.05/5  rDev -13.4%

pour is a viscous opaque black with a very dark mahogany brown head. Nose is a bit all over the place. Heavy roast, sugary malt, licorice and lightly nutty. Taste is also a bit flabby, not quite as roasty up front but there is an assertive roasted coffee and bitterness that lingers through the finish. Sweet dark malt, a touch sugary, faint licorice, and some dark berry towards the back of the palate. The body is thick, light carbonation, thins in the finish and actually a touch empty.

3.08/5  rDev -12.5%

Served in a 16 oz. snifter.

A- black, with 1 finger thin light tan head. Very little lacing that resides quickly.

S- Roasted malts, metal

T- Roasted malts, hint of coffee, has a off metallic-like taste to it.

M- Medium body. Almost a little thin for the style and abv.

O- Another bad beer by this brewery. Just seems to always be off flavors in their beers.

Red Fox from Joseph James Brewing Inc.