Red Fox | Joseph James Brewing Inc.

good
Red FoxRed Fox

Joseph James Brewing Inc.
Nevada, United States
jjbrewco.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Russian Imperial Stout brewed with chocolate and roasted barley malts. This beer has essences of chocolate and roasted coffee and compliments many desserts. This heavy bodied beer is 9.3% ABV, 80 IBU's and is best enjoyed at 55°F-60°F.

Added by JBogan on 01-28-2009

2.85/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on November 30, 2013.

This is a beer that begins nice but ends badly. That would be my entire review but we have to have so many characters to post on Beer Advocate.

It is a very attractive looking dark brown to black pour with a long lasting tan head.

The aroma is full of chocolate malts more than anything else. I get little in the way of other malts or hops but I get plenty of chocolate.

The body is light to medium.

But the taste. Eww! Maybe I got a really bad bottle but all I'm getting is vinegar. Some chocolate but mainly vinegar. I rarely pour beers down the drain but this one may be destined for that finale.

2.75/5  rDev -21%

2.75/5  rDev -21%

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

thick reddish black pour with 2 fingers of dark brown head which quickly dissipated to a creamy ring around the glass. smells of roasted grains, coffee, dark chocolate, licorice, roasted nuts. this is a fantastic tasting beer... we're talking very similar to black albert (one of my favorites).. lots of roasty, yet subtle, flavors from the grain bill.. lots of coffee and chocolate, nutty flavors as well, bit of vanilla also. if it had a bit of lingering bitterness instead of sweetness, i would personally prefer it. full body, very sweet, low carbonation.

got this from my buddy in nevada.. an excellent beer i would have probably never gotten my hands on as it's not on the radar as far as highly sought after/ranked etc.. a delicious, very easy to drink imperial stout.. roasty enough to be to my liking, yet balanced out with tons of sweet malt.

1.5/5  rDev -56.9%

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

3.49/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours completely dark with a tan head. Nose is bland and almost nonexistent. Flavor is heavy with chocolate malts. Tangy sweetness. Just slightly off balance with the whole thing, but not too shabby really. I mean, we can face reality that this style brings some extremely heavy competition. That being said, I like this one. I can suggest it.

3.05/5  rDev -12.4%

pour is a viscous opaque black with a very dark mahogany brown head. Nose is a bit all over the place. Heavy roast, sugary malt, licorice and lightly nutty. Taste is also a bit flabby, not quite as roasty up front but there is an assertive roasted coffee and bitterness that lingers through the finish. Sweet dark malt, a touch sugary, faint licorice, and some dark berry towards the back of the palate. The body is thick, light carbonation, thins in the finish and actually a touch empty.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

I felt it necessary to review this beer jus to warn people of the massive head I got when pouring this....I got an overflow after pouring roughly half the bottle, so be careful when pouring this.

Overall this Imperial stout is pretty good. Pours a dark mocha, almost black, with a nice fluffy tan head. Smell is dark malt, not sure which malts exactly but very inviting with an almost tangy characteristic to it. Taste is smooth dark malt, small alcohol burn on the back end, chocolate on the finish with a very nice aftertaste. May be a bit overcarbed but doesnt detract from the beer. Good body on this one. Overall I am pleased with this beer, nothing mindblowing but I would definitely buy it again.

Red Fox from Joseph James Brewing Inc.