Red Fox | Joseph James Brewing Inc.

good
Red FoxRed Fox

Joseph James Brewing Inc.
Nevada, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Russian Imperial Stout brewed with chocolate and roasted barley malts. This beer has essences of chocolate and roasted coffee and compliments many desserts. This heavy bodied beer is 9.3% ABV, 80 IBU's and is best enjoyed at 55°F-60°F.

Added by JBogan on 01-28-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 45 | Ratings: 129
4.05/5  rDev +16.4%

Red Fox pours dark brown, next to black. Head is modest Caucasian tan.

Nose isn't as powerful as I was anticipating, smooth nonetheless. Vanilla, chocolate, dark roasted nuts and a bit of coffee-like bitterness. Some banana esters are evident as well.

The flavor is where this one hits. The warmth of alcohol (9% ABV) chimes in with other notes of roasted almond, dark chocolate, and a lingering dry roasted coffee finish.

Body is medium, thinner than expected. However it's creamy and slick as it fades to a dry finish. Carbonation is just enough to keep it lively in the mouth. It's not overly filling either, great tasting drinkable stout.

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a thick and creamy tan head which left excellent lacing. I was completely surprised by the appearance of this beer, as the other beers from this new brewery were not very attractive at all. This one however, was totally different.

Smelled of roasted coffee and malt with some chocolate. Very nice and inviting.

Tasted much as it smelled. I gave it a slightly lower score here because it seems to be slightly watered down compared to the aroma. It just needs a bit more "oomph" in the flavor department. The alcohol is very well hidden in this brew.

As in other beers from this new brewer, the mouthfeel was thin, especially for this style. I must add though, it didn't seem nearly as thin as their other beers. However it could use a little bit more body in my opinion.

All in all this beer surpassed my expectations, which were to be honest, not all that high. This is easily the best beer I've tried from this new local brewer, and gives me hope they are on the right track. That's not to say this is up there with the best RIS's, it certainly has room for improvement, but I think they are on the right track here. If you're in the Vegas area and see this, it's worth a try.

3.35/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to Jwale73 for this bottle!
Appears near opaque brownish black - light tan head falls quickly to a ring.
Smells of dark malt and chocolate, maybe a little coffee.
The taste bitter and chocolaty. Some coffee flavors come in on the back end.
It is medium body - seems pretty light for an impy stout. Carbonation is a bit course and prickly.
This brew is OK...the mouthfeel was a bit disappointing but grew better as it warmed.

2.74/5  rDev -21.3%

I want to start by saying that I love that a local brewery is bottle beers, great for Vegas! But...once again I'm not too impressed. I dont think I ever got over the initial pour. Poured into Duvel tulip glass with zero head and retention. Smell was of some chocolate, coffee, malt but all very watered down it seemed like. Taste was a little bland, better warmer (as is expected with this style) but still nothing too dominant. Some chocolate, some coffee, toasted grain, vanilla, alcohol, but nothing stuck out. Mouthfeel was a little thin for the style. I cant complain too much cause the bomber was on $2.99. And I will say the ABV is very well hidden, just needed a little more "umph" to it.

3.97/5  rDev +14.1%

poured into Old Rasputin nonic

A: pours an opaque dark brown with an inch of head. Settles to a thin layer of foam with no lacing

S: rich aroma of dark chocolate, licorice and hazelnut coffee

T: creamy chocolate flavors, licorice, and a roasted nuttiness. a long, bitter espresso and chocolate finish

M: smooth and slick upfront, medium body with a low carbonation, light warming alcohol, and resiny, dry finish.

Overall, I'm digging this beer. Definitely not one of my favorite RISs, but very drinkable. I really enjoyed the chocolatey flavors in this one. I will buy more of this beer in the future

3.36/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a nice looking black color with a creamy tan finger's worth of head. Lingering lacing sticks and then slides into the beer.
The smell starts off with thick luscious milk chocolate, dark fruits, light vanilla and as it warms a light cake - like breadiness.
The taste was sweet and thick through previously mentioned flavors. Subtle roastiness comes out in the taste. There's a slick sweet malty aftertaste leading into the finish.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a fairly decent sipping to sessionable quality about it. Carbonation feels good.
Overall, good RIS, willing to have again but maybe not necessarily one to really seek out.

3.12/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance: Poured a thick black color, completely opaque. Half finger brown head with little retention (gentle pour). No visible carbonation. No lacing.

Smell: Smoky roasted malts, with coffee and dark chocolate flavors. Mild sweetness.

Taste: Lots of dark fruit/apple and molasses sweetness. Roasted malts, but not as smoky/coffeelike as the nose. An alcohol bite comes through.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick bodied, with a very mild carbonation bite. There is also a small alcohol bite.

Drinkability: A decently drinkable stout, but missing the body and flavor of a true RIS. It has the alcohol, but that’s not enough.

Buy Again? No

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle.
Pours black, very dark brown - no light gets through. Very thick tan head that lasts well and leaves good lace.
S - earth, prune, raisin, light hop, roasted malt.
T - starts with a light smoke. Although there was a scent of fruit, there is no taste of fruit. Rather, there is roasted coffee beans, bitter dark chocolate, slightly hoppy.
M & D - begins slightly sweet and smokey, moves dry, finishes slightly sweet. I wish there was more dark fruit taste and considering the style, it's not as full as I wished. ok overall.

3.28/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured to a snifter.
Pours a dark black, tan two finger head that leaves nice lacing.
Sweet aroma, dark fruit, a little roast. Dry in flavor compared to nose, nice roasty malt, not as much of the dark fruit i was expecting after the nose, strange metallic finish. Fairly light body for a stout but easy to drink.
Overall a nice beer to try but nothing to write home about.

3.19/5  rDev -8.3%

Received a bomber from Destral as an extra in a recent trade.

Midnight black motor oil poured with a 3/4 inch milk chocolate head quickly becomes something a bit more mundane. The head quickly collapses under the alcohol and leaves the partaker with no parting gifts. No lacing and, sorry fellows, this baby's got no legs.

Roasted barley takes the lead of the bouquet followed by dark chocolate and a healthy malty sweetness. Nuances of espresso and coffee beans are present but alcohol is, remarkably, unnoticeable. A very simple aroma, all in all, that strikes me as unimposing. In an RIS, I honestly want my nose to be bitch slapped with complexity. Flavor doesn't even do as well as smell unfortunately... Roasted barley mirrors in the flavor but then comes a touch of tannin astringency that grows. Hop bitterness and solid roast attempt to cover up shortcomings but the aftertaste is solidly astringent with a touch of metallic. If drinking the whole bottle, one might be able to forget about these off-flavors after about 18 ounces.

A super creamy mouthfeel is definitely present but taken away from by the taste. Very light in the body for the style but it is in this that one can find a bit of silkiness that adds a level of pleasantness.

I believe that this beer could have definite potential with a bit more QA at this brewery. The basics are all there for a great beer. Unfortunately, this bottle had its flaws.

1.54/5  rDev -55.7%

Just terrible. Had on tap at Pub in the Monte Carlo because I saw that it was a local brewer.

Pour appears deep, dark black color, which is good and all. However, the head on the beer looks suspect. This is weird for me, but it looks kinda sickly... and it's kinda tough to put my finger on it. Large soapy bubbles on a one-inch tan head.

Aroma is okay, actually. Roasted coffee, chocolately, a little boozy - boozier than I would have expected considering that it's only a 9% impy stout. Pretty standard, nothing exciting here.

You know that fear you had as a child? For some it was monsters under the bed, for others it was the dark, for people like my brother it was going down escalators. Me, personally, I had a problem with clowns. I did not like clowns. Still don't, truth be told, but I remember it was a bigger problem for me back then. And that's what this beer tastes like - my childhood fear of clowns in beer form. Actually, if you picture John Wayne Gacy in his clown makeup and no pants, sitting at his breakfast table with a cup of coffee from a three day-old pot of Folgers, through the eyes of a terrified child, and can imagine what that image tastes like - that is this. Just awful, one of the worst tasting beers I've ever had. Burned coffee, burned malt, medicinal flavors, tar, alcohol, and chalky, poor-quality chocolate. Ugh. Holy shit, this just lingers on my tongue and the back of my throat. This beer saddens me.

Mouthfeel doesn't help this beers' cause. I just don't want to talk about this anymore, it's making me sad and afraid.

Drinkability. Ha. The only reason I had a second sip was to verify that I wasn't crazy and that this beer is really that terrible. Sent it back and got an IPA to cleanse this off my palate.

Just awful. My avatar is appropriate for this one.

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

This was an extra in a trade sometime last year. Just now getting around to trying it. Looks nices and black, the nose has a very nice roasty -ness to it. the mouthfeel is a nice medium body that is typical of this style.

This is not your overly sweet under attenuated impy stout. this is a classic impy stout and a very good one at that. Not sure why it has a very low rating. I am loving this beer. There is a little bit of astringency but very slight. Not a detractor at all.

I wish this was available in texas as I would buy it regularly.

4.73/5  rDev +35.9%

Served On Tap at ChurchKey DC.

A: Sacloth black, no froth, all bizness!

S: Brown Molasses dark cocoa nibs, Sweet red berries. Cherry bourbon barrel. Wifs of sweet smoked meat and sherry.

T: Bourbon barrel smoked malt. Sweet Costa Rican dark roast coffee. Cherry pitted Biscuits. Lushish sherried cream.

M: Medium bodied great flowing carbonation that cuts through the velvet underlaying alcohol lingers on the gums and the tongue.

O: An amazing complex bourbon barrel stout that is imposing but not overpowering in character or greatness. A solid A beer!

3.94/5  rDev +13.2%

Despite the mixed reviews on this beer I had no issue with it..motor oil black with nice espresso and chocolate on the nose..taste was similar to smell with a medium body..the wife and I enjoyed it..

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

You cannot just wish a beer to be good, and this beer is just exactly that, good. My experience with this dark Russian Imperial Stout style is limited but growing. The style requires some extra pizaaz in order to be considered above average. As much as I would wish Red Fox had pizaaz, it does not. Mostly you will experience a good try, but not a good result. The dark malty, caramel flavors do not linger, but the high 9% ABV does, and in my opinion that is not a good thing. The head pours a finger, but immediately disappears. To me that is a result of alcohol, and thus the limited smell and taste. Put simply, they never get out of the bottle and into the glass. In my judgement this is an also ran beer from a local Las Vegas brewery, like I said, I wish it were better.

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%

A surprisingly wonderful offering from my beer of the month club. Pours a deep reddish-brown with a thick tan head that leaves a wonderful lacing. Delicious coffee aroma with hints of chocolate. Flavor follows smell, bold coffee tones that deceptively hide the alcohol in this beer. Very smooth and pleasant mouthfeel, just the right amount of carb. I could easily see myself drinking a few of these, very nice!

4.12/5  rDev +18.4%

I have had this both on tap at a beer tasting event and bottled. On tap, it was a great beer, the head was a little week, but the taste was spot on for what you would expect from a small batch RIS (carmel, coffee, touch of vanilla) The smell was almost all coffee. Mouth feel is not what I expected from a Russian Imperial, but still pretty good.

In the bottle, this beer goes way down hill. Sadly the bottling process is not the strong point of the brewer. If you can get on tap, it is worth it, if not, I say pass on it.

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Ok this one is the latest from Joseph james...
This was the best one yet poured a nice dark brown to black color, nice for the style, a little thin on the body but it is still thick enough to be a good RIS. The flavor was great, nice hints of Coffee,caramel,anise,and notes of chocolate none of which were overbearing or too pronounced, which makes it a winner in my book...

2.67/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.5

I dont regularly review anymore, but this terrible crap compelled me to bitch to you all about just that. The appearance is all there, along with the mouth feel, lacing, etc, but the rest is garbage...make mocha with old grinds, mix it with sherry and cheap chocolate wine, and boom, wuts happenin? Oh yea, your taste buds are crying and u wish u could puke yet onset alcoholism prevents u...shucks, me too. Going from Clown Shoes HOTH to this shit should have a warning. Fml

2.88/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Color: dark and opaque. Head: reddish. Surprisingly little froth. Carbonated tingle.
Dry, liquor-like body heat after of first sip. Gets sweeter and smoother as you go. Pairs well with steak. For dessert try strawberries, cool-whip, and dessert cups. Drink slow: high ABV.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Red Fox from Joseph James Brewing Inc.