Chapeau Mirabelle Lambic | Brouwerij De Troch

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 05-07-2002

3.3

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

2.83/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

3.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy dark yellow in color. It poured with a thin off white head that quickly dissipated, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass and some delicate lacing covering the surface.
S: There are strong aromas of plums in the nose.
T: Like the smell, plum flavors really stand out in the taste, which also has a light to moderate amount of sweetness.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied on the palate with a low amount of carbonation.
O: The plum flavors are rather unique compared to most other fruit lambics. It is not that difficult to drink because the sweetness is not cloying, except well after it warms up.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Pours a hazy dark golden yellow. The beer has a thin film of white head that reduces to a small patch of extremely thin film and a thin soapy ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of sweet fruitiness - quite probably from the mirabelle plum (since I have never smelled one of these, I'm making the assumption that this is what they smell like). There is a very light hint of sourness.

T: The flavor is very sweet with a strong flavor of fruit - from the mirabelle plum. Just a hint of tartness in the finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with very low amounts of carbonation.

O: Very enjoyable though a little too sweet to be an easy drinker (or sessionable beer). I love the natural fruit aromas and sweetness. The beer continues to sweeten as it warms.

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy golden color with almost no head. Aroma is fruity and tart with a honey note. Taste is sweet and fruity with a light astringent feel and again the honey note on the finish. It's quite good overall, one of the better sweetened fruit lambics.

1.71/5  rDev -48.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Pours out a clear, light amber body with a fair amount of bubbles, but nothing to call a "head".

Smell: Here we go again! Expired ketchup, odious weeds, lacquer. At best, there's a vague fruit scent, but it's been laced with a suspiciously high amount of pure sugar.

"I'm too old for this..." --Roger Murtaugh

Taste: Excruciatingly saccharin sweet explosion, and for good reason, as little else could try to obscure the poor flavors rampant within. Cloying would be a gross understatement. Artificial plum flavoring. Hunt's Ketchup, castor oil, biodegradable plastic, old nickels, and a sneaky shot of wood varnish. I'm really left speechless.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Low level of carbonation.

Drinkability: A real stomach churner! I've always considered the Chapeau line-up to be one unfathomable horror after another and the Mirabelle is no exception. You may be rightfully wondering - will I have another Cheapeau fruit lambic in the future? Most likely! It's a bit like anticipating the latest horror film, I just can't wait to see what wicked nightmares and unending torment they can dream up next. Cantillon, take me away!

3.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Lightly cloudy pastel peach with vigorous carbonation. The head is large and lightly lemon-tinted ivory in color. All those bubbles should assure that the cap doesn't disappear anytime soon, although it has fallen to a fat one finger in the several minutes since the pour. Not a bad look, especially in a genuine Chapeau Lambic De Troch tulip glass (thanks Al).

I'm not a big fan of plums and can't recall if I've ever actually eaten one. Therefore, it's hard to say just how authentic the nose is in terms of plumness. It is intensely sweet and fruity and is more than a little perfumy. The usual sour yeasty funk is present and accounted for and adds additional olfactory interest. I like the nose quite a bit.

I like the flavor at least as much as I like the nose. Mirabelle is incredibly sweet--it's similar to the Melbourn Bros. beers in that regard--and is a definite sipper. I thought that this would be my least favorite of the Chapeau Lambics, and it still might be, but I have to say that I'm enjoying the explosive, sweet-tart candied fruitiness that soaks my taste buds each time I drink.

I imagine that all of the beer from this brewery tastes and feels similar, only varying in the particular fruit used. The flavor profile consists of three parts hypersweet fruit nectar to one part sour Belgian yeast. It's a combination that won't appeal to everyone, but it does to me; at least in small doses. No hint of the oak cask-aging comes across on the palate.

The body/mouthfeel is easy to predict given all the sugar. It's full, lightly-moderately syrupy and not nearly as carbonated as it looked initially. There's still a fine-bubbled feel which lightens what could have been a thick, sticky mess. Again, small sips are the only way to go.

Mirabelle plums are prized for their full, sweet flavor and are used in the making of plum wine, plum eau de vie and plum brandy. And now beer. As noted above, this 'lambic' won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I have a weakness for well-made, ultra-sweet fruit beers even though I rarely drink them. If I like Mirabelle this much, I'm sure that the others will be right up my alley as well.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this.

A: The pour is a cloudy light amber color with a large slightly off-white colored head.

S: An incredibly intense sweet plum aroma that has some notes of peaches. There is a bit of a honey note to this beer too, along with just a touch of sourness.

T: Things stay pretty much the same on the palate. The plums are incredibly sweet, much sweeter than most plums I've ever eaten and don't have that little bit of tartness. This is probably what leads me toward picking up some peach and honey. Tartness is really minimal, but at least the off-flavors are too.

M: The body is light to medium with a lively carbonation and a slightly sugary feel on the tongue.

D: I liked this one a fair amount. Good fruit flavor, and while sweet, it's not completely cloying or sickening. Plus, no vile off-flavors.

Bottle shared by jayhawk73. Thanks, Jeff, I am always excited to try a new lambic.

The beer is transparent and light peach hued, with virtually no head or lacing. The aroma offers peaches, peach cobbler, sugar. Smells like peach cobbler dessert. While the smell is inviting, it smells more like something I would want to eat, rather than drink. The taste is sugary sweet. Loads of peaches coated in sugar. While this is a bit too sweet for my palate, it seems well suited as a dessert beer, perhaps with a fruit tart. The peach flavor is actually quite delicious, but would greatly benefit from some funk,must, yeast, etc. One dimensional in nature, this has potential. For now, it's a sweet fruit beer that is best in small doses.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

12.7oz. bottle, corked 'n' crowned.
Appearance: clear honey-gold color, buzzing with carbonation, and a head that stands proud for a while, then fizzles.
Aroma: very shy, but definitely plummy, ripe and sweet, with accompanying sour .On the palate: greatly, mouth-puckeringly tart!, with fruity sweetness coming right in afterwards, but not sticking out nearly enough.
Plum flavor continues, but lays terribly low. Light in body, malt, hops, beer...
I've enjoyed other offerings from this lower-tier lambic brewer before, but this one has to be the most disappointing.
Right at the end, the sweetness gets cloying, as the sour loses it's pucker a bit. I almost don't feel like finishing it.

2.68/5  rDev -18.8%

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the pears, plums and sugar. This beer smells like it may give me diabetes. The flavor is heavy on the plums and is very syrupy. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. While this may be a traditional lambic, don't think it is going to resemble a Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen.

look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A vigorous pour into my small wine goblet produces a half finger thick, pale, white colored head that quickly dissapears. The beer smells quite fruity; lots of apple, sweet plum, a sort of melon note and a pear-tea like aroma; this is all without smelling the nose and just noticed during the pouring. A more focused look, yields lots more sweetness and more of the same with a saccharine, candy like fruit focus, but this is backed by an oxidized, not really nutty, perhaps more cardboard like character in the finish. The aroma soon is a bit more overwhelming than I would like and I am tired of smelling the nose.

Aggressively sweet, candy, syrup, grimace inducing; my pour palate needs to adjust. Candy like apple, plum and grape notes are omnipresent. The sweetness is so big that I can’t get a sense of any sourness and the base beer is long gone. Completely one dimensional and not really worth contemplating. I don’t even really like the beer as a desert type thing, or even something I would want to cook with and incorporate in a recipe. Cloying and fairly viscous, though in reality it is a lot lighter than the ample sweetness might suggest

Too much sweetness and candy character, somehow I find that I have been sitting here with a bitter frown ever since taking a first whiff of the aroma.

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%

(Served in a flute)

A- This beer has a hazy dark straw color with a snow white head that is thick and last and last.

S- The note of honey plums has a faint perfume quality with a slight earthiness make the fruit smell more fresh.

T- The taste of tarp plums is soft with a slight sour note and a nice light oak and wet wood finish.

M- This beer had a medium light mouthfeel that was pretty uneventful.

D- The fruit is soft and there is not a lot of depth to the flavor but it is not overly "wild" or overly sweet by any means.

3.91/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours only a faintly hazey pilsner yellow with barely any bubbling. Dry fruity aroma. Lemon peels, faint plums, and apple skins all mixed with a little talc. Plus a funky question markthat I can't define specifically as just...lambic. Can't get past the green apple skin flavor that mixes very well with a dry, yellow plum. Then add the funky, earthy, barnyardy finish. You've got a true fruit lambic. Great dryness and fruitiness make a good palate for this lambic. Good summer beer.

1.75/5  rDev -47%

3.84/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a pale yellow with a small white head, that went away pretty quickly. All I can smell is a sour plum. Same in the taste, a sour, a little sugary plum. It is kind of wineish and very clean tasting, with no aftertaste. Lambics are really not my style, but I think I could drink this with breakfast.

This was quite tasty but just a little too sweet for me. This beer poured out a nice yellow translucent colour with almost no head. This smelled of sweet spiced plums, figs, sugars, and it tasted like more of the same; plum, horse blanket, sourness and tart sweetness. This had a very nice taste to it but it was just a little too sweet for me. This had a crisp mouthfeel and a nice drinkability as well. All in all this is quite a nice lambic beer that you should try if you like sweet beers!
Cheers!,
F.

3.03/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. My first beer from Brouwerij De Troch, acquired this oddity at the local beer store for $4.99. Expectations are not great, based on the reviews of others.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - The cork was rotten and soggy, but I managed to pull it out without getting too much cork particulate in the beer itself. The body is a cloudy orange color, with a finger of bubbly white head. Leaves behind hardly any lacing at all. The beer is more than likely on the old side, but still appears adequately carbonated. Not bad looking, for what it is. 3.5

S - The aroma is mainly comprised of a syrupy fruity sweetness. Not what I would identify as plum, more peachy and grapey than anything, I would say. 3

T - The taste follows the nose - syurpy, sugary, and fruity. Peach / apricot, white grapes, and what I assume is the mirabelle plums, though I'm not sure what they taste like exactly. There is a bit of musty rotten cork flavor imparted to the beer now also after all this time, but it's not overbearing. Not sour, funky, or yeasty in any of the ways that one would expect from a traditional lambic. 3

M - The feel is extremely sweet and sugary. Syrupy. Medium-bodied with low carbonation. 3

Overall, probably one of the poorest examples of an authentic Belgian lambic that I've yet tried.

Chapeau Mirabelle Lambic -----3/5.

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

Bottle. Pours a cloudy orange with a small white head. Aroma of sweet fruit (I don't specifically get plum, maybe apple and pear). Flavor is similar to a punched up apple juice. Slight sour prickliness. A touch of oak/wood in the finish. Very drinkable and enjoyable. Not spectacular nor that complex but super tasty! Certainly far from a nasty drain pour. These bad ratings are just sad. I don't understand them. I was initially frightened to try this beer, but now I know not to believe the silly warnings in the future.

Chapeau Mirabelle Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch