Chapeau Banana Lambic | Brouwerij De Troch

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by rastaman on 08-08-2002

2.77/5  rDev -12.6%

Banana lambic. Hmmm...

Poured into a jelly jar (most of my beer glasses are in storage after a long haul move from DC to San Antonio, TX, so my glassware is limited). Appears a dirty blond color with a light fizzy head. No lace. Very un-Belgian looking. The nose is fruity. Lots of banana, as expected, but also some decent generic lambic scents. Not bad. Not great, but not bad. The taste, however, is where things begin to go south. Way too pungent, it delivers a tart and tangy acid-banana flavor. Not exactly tasty. It could be worse, I suppose, but this would be a lot better off if it were a bit more subtle. Mouthfeel is okay, but everything is offset by the strength of the taste.

Chapeau Banana is not the worst beer I've ever had. But I really like lambics, and this one is just a bit too over the top for me. If the brewery dumbed down the tartness just a bit and made the whole thing a tad less stringent, it might actually work. But as it is, it's just too much to really enjoy.

2.8/5  rDev -11.7%

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma has some banana notes but there is also some lactic tartness hidden in there. Definitely not as fruity smelling as I expected. The flavor is pretty sweet with a little bit of tartness and some syrupy banana notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Overall, this is not a good lambic. That being said, it isn't offensive and I expected it to be worse.

2.8/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.81/5  rDev -11.4%

A- clear straw with tons of floaters, 1/2" tight white head, little retent

S- ripe bananas, yeast, hints of wood

T- high sweetness, lots of banana, aftertaste has some wheat, overall just ridiculously sweet banana, ridiculous cause there's little else

M- high carbonation, light body, soda/juice like

D- way too sweet for me, some tartness would bring this brew a long way, worth w try for fun, but don't expect a miracle

2.85/5  rDev -10.1%

Big thanks goes out to my doppelganger for sharing this one with me at a past tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a bright yellow with a minimal pure white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comrprised of sweet malt, banana, earth, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, overly sweet banana, subtle wood, and subtle funk. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this really wasn't that impressive. I had seen this one on the shelf for quite some time and always joked about trying it for the 'tick', but never got around to it. Leave it to my evil doppelganger to make sure I got the chance. And what a chance it was... Phew, this thing tasted like banana laffy taffy with some wood and funk added. WAY too sweet for me with these flavors going on as they didn't balance well at all. Worth trying though to say you have at least once, but drinker beware.

2.88/5  rDev -9.1%

I am drinking this cold in a snifter. The beer pours like fizzy champagne a clear gold color with no sediment. A fizzy bleached white head foams up 1 cm and fades to a surface layer quickly. Aroma is not surprisingly lots of banana at first and some bread notes and definite wet blanket funk come through as the glass breathes.
First sip reveals a lite body and fine fizzy carbonation that is prickly on my palate. Flavor is sweet and tangy banana and also some general tart fruit notes. The beer is generally sweet and sticky and reminds me of fizzy fruit juice. Not a favorite or one I would return to, but a beer experience nonetheless.

2.93/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle

decants with a decent hazed yelloe lambic..fair cap..good lace

Aroma; yup wet horse blsamket but the fruity notes of banana are synthetic and perfumey...spoils it

Tate is ok but the sugar and banana concentrate added kind of screw it...underneath is a decent lambic....pity the fruit flavoring wasn’t more real and less sweet.

2.96/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured a deep yellow with a soft and bubbly head. The lacing was pretty good, I had this out of a wine glass.

Smell: Pure banana and very sweet. Not in any way spiced or resembling the kind of hefeweizen banana aroma but much more sweet smelling

Taste: Quite one dimensional with no real complexity but I don't think that was the brewer's aim here. This is pure banana and not far from what I think a banana soda might taste like.

Mouthfeel: This is maybe the best feature of the beer, and its saving grace. Medium bodied with a crisp but medium carbonation

3.08/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this one.

A: The pour is a hazy golden color with some floaters in it and a mild white head.

S: The nose is of banana candy, but it's not all that intense. I wish I had more to say, but that's really all there is.

T: This beer tastes like the banana flavored Runts candies. A weirdly sweet and intense banana flavor that I cannot quite decide if I like or note. Only a hint of sourness to this beer.

M: The body is on the light side of medium with a moderate carbonation.

D: Sort of a love hate relationship with this beer. I enjoyed the intense banana flavor, but it just seemed way too artificial at times.

3.14/5  rDev -0.9%

250mL bottle from LCBO. Pours a pale light straw. No head. The first taste assaults the tongue with a profile like apple juice. There's a bit of banana in the middle, but the sourness prevails. I'm actually happy this isn't the light, bland experience I was expecting. I'm certainly drinking something - I'm just not sure it's beer.

3.14/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - clear yellow... not much head on this.

S - Yep smells like bananas.

T - Sour. Bananas. A touch of apple in the back as well. Very candy like and sweet of course.

M - Fizzy and light.

D - OK I guess. My girlfriend says it tastes like the dollar store, and that the pineapple one is better... Anyway, it is what it is. Drinkable, sweet. Not very beery.

3.17/5  rDev 0%

Very little in the way of a head, just a thin band despite a fairly aggressive pour. Totally clear, pale gold color; looks like a ginger ale. Lacing is extremely minimal – almost none there at all.

Aroma is sweet candied bananas, with faint Belgian yeast and spice notes underneath. Taste is also sweet but short of cloying; like a lightly alcoholic banana cider concoction; or a banana/apple soda. The faintest hint of tartness and tang is overwhelmed by the sweet banana flavor. Simple taste; nothing complex or subtle here.

Finishes fairly clean and dry; just a touch of lingering banana sweetness remains. Hard banana cider? Ultimately it’s tasty if you like soda and bananas but I can’t really say this is a “beer experience” in any way.

Chapeau Banana Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch