Chapeau Gueuze Lambic | Brouwerij De Troch

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.88/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.95/5  rDev +13%

Well, now, if the basement at Chez Woody is not giving up some of its ghosts, then I have no explanation. This bottle followed me in the big move of 2008-'09 from my childhood home to Chez Woody. During the entire process, less transit, it has been in the BeerFrigerator, a stand-alone refirigerator (only) which houses some really OLD s**t, but all will be pulled out an drank.

From the bottle: "A craftbrewed [sic] ale, spontaneously fermented and matured in oak casks. Unfiltered and refermented in the bottle."

Wow! This baby may date to 2006 or before! I began by Pop!ping the cap. But wait! The Belgians have seen fit to jam in a cork. I have a corkscrew for you, yinz dirty Belgian bastids! Sorry. Next, I Pop!ped the cork, followed by moments of gestation as I awaited it to be ready for me. I was as gentle as possible on decanting it, but it chose its own method of insertion and speeded things up by guiding me into the glass. Fair dinkum, lass, as I am likewise ready to go! Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = > 4, < 5), but The Gelt Gang knows better than to burst in on my interludes. I was worried about the speed of entry though, I so I gave it a vigorous, in-glass swirl. This aroused a brief finger of thin, light-tan head with low retention, quickly becoming wisps. She again gave me a bored look & laid back, awaiting my second attempt at beer-to-mouth copulation. She laid like a sleepy tart upon my tongue, languishing in the moment on my dime. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was more tart than sour, akin to apple juice/cider, left to ferment in the sun. No Oooomph No drive. Just content to lay there & let me do the work. Well, kid, you are not doing it for me. I know yer cousin & she's next. Finish was ho-hum, another day at the office for some. I shan't even finish with this one. I'll sup it off & head down the street for a noted goer.

2.9/5  rDev +11.1%

3.72/5  rDev +42.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

1.81/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

3.75/5  rDev +43.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.74/5  rDev +5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

0,25l bottle.
Pours not very clear orange, no head, only a bundle of bubbles on a top.
Smell - strange, sweet, lollipop, syrup, rotten apple, pear, candied fruits.
Taste - sweet, apple.
Light body, low carbonation. Weird and not good.

2.87/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Bottle. Pours yellowish. This is not good Smells and tastes very sweet. Tangy and fruity and a bit cheesy. Sweeter than it needs to be. Lingering sugary feel. No real tat or sour notes. Impostor.

3.14/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.72/5  rDev +4.2%

1.19/5  rDev -54.4%

Notes from 2011: 375 ml. [email protected]: tastes really sweet, so sweet even that labelling this a faro would be a much better indication of how it tastes especially since this seems to have nothing in the way of a gueuze, taste is that of candy sugar (lots & lots of it) with juice & chlorine, which is not something that I wish to taste.

1.25/5  rDev -52.1%

2.75/5  rDev +5.4%

1.25/5  rDev -52.1%

2.75/5  rDev +5.4%

2.5/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pour is a pale yellow with a thin white bubbly head. The nose has a faint note of dust and some light apple juice, maybe some golden fruit. Taste is the same, almost no funk, apple juice, golden grapes, a bit syrupy and fairly sour. Medium to full body, syrupy and coating, a bit viscous with a dry finish.

1.94/5  rDev -25.7%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this.

A: The pour is sort of dark for a gueuze, a darker amber color with an off-white/khaki colored head.

S: Oh boy, this is rough. Lots of funk, but not in a good way, tons of cheese, and an almost methane aroma. It's as though there's something decaying in the bottle.

T: Things don't improve much in terms of the flavor. Intensely sweet, which is not what I expect from a gueuze, and a strong chemical/solvent flavor. Luckily, not quite as much rotting vegetable character.

M: The body is light but sugary and grainy with a moderate carbonation.

D: This beer brings shame to the name of Gueuze. Stay away from this.

2.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Best By February 2012; Sampled July 2010
A solid pour produces a three-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a dark amber hue that shows a brilliantly clear, amber color in the light. The aroma smells quite funky, not quite as sweet as I was expecting, and the fruitiness takes on some weird connotations of kiwi, oxidized melon, fermented raisins as well as a sort of green, unripe fruit like character that I can't quite place. Doesn't remotely smell like a Gueuze in any way shape or form, I can't even pick out any acidity in the nose.

Ouch, this is quite sweet, though it is not as sweet as the Chapeau Faro, it is sweeter than many of the other Faros I have had. Fizzy textured from the carbonation, though not enough to keep the sugars from lingering on the tongue in the finish. This has a medium body to it as well. This tastes fruity up front and reminds me mostly of sweet apple cider, though there is an oxidized fruitiness in the finish that reminds me a bit of browned pears and / or raisins. There is a light tartness here that is pretty much the only tie in that this was Lambic; though having said that, I do get the sense that the sugar is hiding a lot of funky Lambic flavors.

While I could drink this if someone made me, it is definitely the worst travesty I have ever experienced from a bottle labeled Gueuze; though I must admit that I have a bottle of Chapeau Christmas Gueuze (with added flavor, what ever that means) still coming up. These fake De Troch Lambics are made that much more interesting by the fact that they can make a good, traditional Lambic when they put there mind to it; I really hope they make more of the traditional products as I have been able to try some very good examples from this brewery.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast