Chapeau Faro Lambic | Brouwerij De Troch

Style: Faro

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002

3.11/5  rDev -7.4%

3.54/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

0,25l bottle.
Clear reddish/amber with thin white head, low retention.
Smell - not very pleasant at first, apple vinegar, candi sugar.
Taste - sweet and tad sour altogether, berries, fruits.
Light body and low carbonation.

3.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

You think you've studied a countries beers well, and then this comes along.
A pleasant surprise for a malt-seeking palate.
And since the Belgians brew with more sugar than other countries, I suppose they should have a style that grew out experimenting with even more sugar.
I actually found this refreshing.
But I wonder what it will be like with desserts.
I will report on that as soon as a find the other bottle that I suspect is hidden in my cellar.

"Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium" doesn't really review this beer, but talks about De Troch for a page.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

2.25/5  rDev -33%

2.13/5  rDev -36.6%

12.7 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date or bottling information present. Acquired this dusty bottle at the local Sal's for $4.99 on sale. My first encounter with a Faro style beer, and based on it's current ratings, I'm not expecting much out of this one.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a dark ruby red liquid; flat, with no conjuration of head, and lots of fat dark yeast chunks sinking to the bottom of the glass. I usually always pour the sedimentation into my glass, but I wish I hadn't with this one. Excuse me while I find my strainer. 2.5

S - The smell is of strong vinegary acidity; more than likely oxidized. A slight alcohol note appears as well. It smells similar to some of the awful kombucha beers I've tried. 2.5

T - Not tart or sour in any way - just more vinegar acidity, rubbing alcohol, white sugar, and some indistinct fruitiness. I've never used the descriptor of 'cloyingly sweet' before, but the shoe definitely fits this one. 2

M - The feel is sticky, sugary, and vinegary. Again, cloyingly sweet / sugary. 2

Overall, probably the worst representation of an authentic lambic style beer that I've yet tried. Absolutely no redeeming qualities to this one whatsoever. I look forward to trying a more accurate representation of this style sometime soon. Avoid avoid avoid.

Chapeau Faro Lambic -----2/5.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%

3.37/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark amber pour, thin white lacing that leaves little traces on the glass.
Smell of brown sugar caramel, damp woody barrel, some vinegar, very faint raisin, dry lemon peel and faint marzipan.
Huge sweetness, but the following apple cidery tartness cleans up the palate a bit, leaving just a tiny trace of sticky caramel. Later on the sweetness covers up the sourness tho. Hints of sour cherries, apple juice and faint vinegar. Even fainter lambic funk, with a bit of funky wood but way too low (if any) green hay.
Low carbonation, oily, with a sticky sweet aftertaste.
People with a sweet tooth will enjoy this, tasty candi sugar, but probably way too syrupy sweet for most of the people.

2.25/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12.7 fl oz green glass (ugh... bottle with appealing label art and fun branded white/green pry-off pressure cap over an internally housed branded cork acquired at a local Texas bottle shop and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the style. Reviewed as a faro because the label clearly identifies it as such. Cost was $7.99 USD. Imported by Noble Union Trading Ltd.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours no real head whatsoever, but there is a fleeting surface bubble mass which is white in colour and disappears inside 10 seconds. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes, and I can't get any to stick by tilting the glass.

Body colour is a very dark amber of poor vibrance. Littered with abundant floating yeast particles; this clearly is unfiltered. Semitranslucent. Nontransparent.

It's not a great appearance for a faro. I can't say I'm horribly excited to try it based on the appearance alone. Far from unique or special.

Sm: Has a simple clean lactic and bacterial sourness along with some simple candi/cane sugar. Sweetness is evident and cuts the sourness. I pick up hints of cardboard, lychee, and berries. Also an inexplicable marshmallow note. Is this infected, perhaps?

An inoffensive aroma of average strength.

No hop character, overt malts, or alcohol is detectable.

T/Mf: Definitely a dessert beer. Loaded with candi sugar. I also get a plump berry sweetness. Luckily this never ventures into medicinal territory. I do pick up some faint hints of cardboard and marshmallow on the fringe; I doubt this would age well. There's a light sourness which seems almost entirely lactobacillus-derived; I'd like more sourness. It's a bit cidery and apple cider vinegary.

I pick up definite off-notes, including some chemical-esque notes, general rot, imposing wood, some solvent, and macerated cork (which may be the source of that cardboard note). This has some basic quality issues.

Acidity is a bit higher than you'd expect as a result. It's sticky. A bit too thick. Has decent body. Bad presence on the palate overall. Well-carbonated. Smooth and wet. Unrefreshing. The texture suits the taste in a general sense, but doesn't feel tailored specifically to this profile.

It's not a balanced brew, nor it a gestalt one. Lacks cohesion. One of the messiest faros I've ever had. Some elements work and some elements don't. Lacks subtlety, complexity, intricacy, and nuance.

Not oily, gushed, astringent, hot, or boozy.

No hop profile, malt character, or alcohol comes through.

Dr: Probably the most forgettable faro I've tried in the last couple years. I wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners. I'll finish the bottle fairly easily, but the lackluster quality makes it difficult to enjoy. Not Troch's finest work. I'd advise steering clear of this one.

High D

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

No head on a very clear copper body. No lace either. Aroma of pungent turpentine, nail polish remover, candied fruit, apricot, resins. Flavor is tough at first, need a little preparation with the flavor being very bitter sweet with tart candied citrus, caramel, pine resin. Light body and carbonation. First faro for me. Not a fan. Too sweet and syrup like. Can't really judge it for the style

Chapeau Faro Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch