Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Chapeau Faro Lambic | Brouwerij De Troch

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in a chalice)

A- This beer has a slightly dense iced tea brown body with big bubbles forming a ring that fades. There are big bubbles that gently glide to the surface at the edge of the glass.

S- The old damp wood aroma has a very light tartness with some dark fruity sweet notes to and a very faint cherry vinegar hint in the finish.

T- The soft tart wood note fades to a candy sweet finish with a touch of tartness that is overpowered. There is a slight cola hint in the finish aswell.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a tight zippy note that doesn't do enough to cut the sweetness.

O- I like this a bit better than soda pop but it is in the same camp. The sweetness gets to be a bit to much after half a glass, but it is still a bit softer than other faros I have had. My wife, who only drinks diet coke, enjoyed this beer.

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Looks brown sugar and cinnamon powder juice. Very faint headthat slowly recedes to nothing after a coupe of sips. NOt to mention the very tiny bubbles in th beer. The aroma is a funky sweet brown sugar and medium toasted grains. The taste is like a fruitless fruit lambic. Youe get all the swetness, just none of the real distinct fruit flavors. You get lots of candi sugar and brown sugar withcurrant like tartness. Not a bad after dinner beer. Lots of dark toasted malty goodness.

3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

Fairly deep amber. Ample off white head. Quite a bit of floaties, I don't think it was poured very carefully.

Vinuous fruit aroma, brown sugar. A bit of red wine vinegar.

A nice tartness up front. Gets pretty sweet after that, candied and brow sugar. Very ripe red fruits.

It is sweet, but not as bad as I was expecting. Drinkable, you just have to be ready for it.

3.36/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12.7oz bottle into my Rodenbach Grand Cru glass....Light tan head, not much carbonation. The beer is a dark coca-cola, really likes like a pop more than a beer...nice aroma, vinegar, wood, tart cherries, just not overly strong wish it was more of a pucker and there is a weird musky finish...The taste is insanely weird, its balasmic vinegar but a really really really sweet version. First time a lambic has made me pucker from sweetness. Almost a liquid prune taste as well. Very unique, just not for me. A sweet oud bruin?

Interesting but tough to drink.

3.8/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours an amber color without much of a head except for a ring around the outside of the glass. Some spotty lacing.

Red wine vinegar, black grape, silage and sour apple notes are all present.

Very sweet and quite tart. Sour cherry and apple, honey, vinegar and red wine grapes. Decent complexity.

Not much carbonation at all here. Even so, I actually kind of like it with the taste. Lighter body that is smooth and kind of slick.

I have to say that I really dig the flavor here. Apart from that, I think the beer is just above average overall. This makes me want to seek out more lambics as this one seems to be rated quite a bit lower.

1.53/5  rDev -54.3%

Pours an unattractive brownish orange color with no head. "Garbage juice" was a common description of the aroma at the tasting where this beer was had. Garbage juice and herbal bitters, maybe some hobo. Oddly intriguing nonetheless. Flavor is sugary fruit punch with only a hint of the gross herbal note from the aroma. Why?

2.25/5  rDev -32.8%

2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

12.7 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date or bottling information present. Acquired this dusty bottle at the local Sal's for $4.99 on sale. My first encounter with a Faro style beer, and based on it's current ratings, I'm not expecting much out of this one.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a dark ruby red liquid; flat, with no conjuration of head, and lots of fat dark yeast chunks sinking to the bottom of the glass. I usually always pour the sedimentation into my glass, but I wish I hadn't with this one. Excuse me while I find my strainer. 2.5

S - The smell is of strong vinegary acidity; more than likely oxidized. A slight alcohol note appears as well. It smells similar to some of the awful kombucha beers I've tried. 2.5

T - Not tart or sour in any way - just more vinegar acidity, rubbing alcohol, white sugar, and some indistinct fruitiness. I've never used the descriptor of 'cloyingly sweet' before, but the shoe definitely fits this one. 2

M - The feel is sticky, sugary, and vinegary. Again, cloyingly sweet / sugary. 2

Overall, probably the worst representation of an authentic lambic style beer that I've yet tried. Absolutely no redeeming qualities to this one whatsoever. I look forward to trying a more accurate representation of this style sometime soon. Avoid avoid avoid.

Chapeau Faro Lambic -----2/5.

3.62/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

You think you've studied a countries beers well, and then this comes along.
A pleasant surprise for a malt-seeking palate.
And since the Belgians brew with more sugar than other countries, I suppose they should have a style that grew out experimenting with even more sugar.
I actually found this refreshing.
But I wonder what it will be like with desserts.
I will report on that as soon as a find the other bottle that I suspect is hidden in my cellar.

"Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium" doesn't really review this beer, but talks about De Troch for a page.

Reviewed on 8/17/08. Bottle. My first faro! Pours a deep brown with a small light tan head. Aroma of sweet sugar, sourness similar to that of a Flanders sour. Flavor is quite sweet and even sweeter and tart with the finish with some sweettarts candy. Reminds me of Rodenbach Grand Cru (although perhaps a bit sweeter). I don't know if this is representative of other faros, but I liked it!
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Just arrived in the Dallas area. I admit I've never had a genuine faro before, though I've tried homebrewed interpretations. This example is walnut in color with a moderate frothy head. Nose is musty, slightly sweet, and rather earthy. The taste is pleasantly sweet and sour, a tad vegetal but otherwise not much lambic character. Nice fruitiness with a tart finish. Soft and creamy texture.

A tad sweeter than expected, and not too complex, but a good drink none the less.

2.7/5  rDev -19.4%

3.54/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

0,25l bottle.
Clear reddish/amber with thin white head, low retention.
Smell - not very pleasant at first, apple vinegar, candi sugar.
Taste - sweet and tad sour altogether, berries, fruits.
Light body and low carbonation.

3.74/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have fond memories of finding this beer on-draught, a sunny lunchtime at 't Oud Arsenaal in Antwerp. It's proved a tough style to track down since, but JDV was able to help a few months back. Feeling like a lambic tonight, so into a stange this pours from its 12.7 oz. green bottle.

A: An uncapping then a cork extracted with a loud *POP*, pours a chestnut/amber. Fizzy head climbs to about a finger-high, dropping quickly. A fair amount of carbonation rising, refreshing a patch of film and clinging ring of white cream. Complexion is slightly hazy, with a deeper cloudiness towards the top and more clarity at the bottom.

S: Unique aroma: sweetly woody, musty without a defined tart 'funkiness', sugared malt vinegar?

T: A cola-like caramel sweetness and an aftertaste of maraschino cherries. Then there's a hint of lemon-lime tartness. Fleeting woody/vinegar qualities, a sweet-tart apple. Just a little mineral/dry finishing, despite an undeniable sugariness. If I likened this to a Cherry Coke, a Sprite, and a tart cider splashed into a seltzer water, that wouldn't be far off.

M: Crisp feel, slightly fizzing carbonation. Feel is rather light. Finishing notes: a mild tang sits gently and squarely in the middle of the tongue, a powdery sweetness on the lips.

D: A bit tough to decipher at first, challenging to decide whether this is sweet or tart or something else. After a few sips, it really grew on me - refreshing, easy enough to drink and certainly curious. I'd have this again; it's too bad it's a style so hard to find. Big thanks, Deniz!

3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

This is a strange goose - thanks to Derek for giving me the opportunity to try this rare style.

Amber body with a generous off-white head which left big globs of sticky lace on the side of the glass. Funky aroma of leather and cider reminds me a little of a saison. The first thing that hits you is that this is a damn sweet beer, and it is - the residual sugars must be through the roof. Its nicely alleviated by a tart sourness that comes through in the finish. In between all manner of cider flavours abound, with some green apple, sour cherry and cranberry. The body is sticky, but medium - a slightly puckering sipper.

This is somewhat hard to judge because its the first time I've ever come across a faro, and I have no idea whether this is true to the style. I can say that I found it to be a very interesting and unique beer. The high sugar content would prevent me from finishing a bottle of this, and for that reason I doubt I would have it again. However, the flavours were very interesting, and the weird funkiness was quite unique. I'm glad I had the experience, and it really opens your eyes to how much variation there is in the world of beer.

4.04/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I found this 375ml green, corked and capped bottle at Sal's Liquors in Addison, IL for $4.99. Never had a "faro" before so I looked it up to see what it is. Turns out to be a blend of part lambic beer and part non-lambic light beer that has a boatload of sugar added to it (either brown sugar, molasses, or caramel).

The beer poured out a mostly clear, dirty penny copper color that made just a short lived off-white rim for a head and left no lacing. Lots of tiny champagne-like bubbles rise quickly to the top, but it's also loaded with unattractive floating particles.

It has that nice sour lambic smell to it, plus some sweet sugars.

Sweet, but not as sweet as other reviewers make it out to be. It has a great puckering sour apple flavor to it along with tart baking cherries to help tame the generous amount of brown sugar-like sweetness. More than enough tartness to balance out the sugar. I thought it was delicious.

Anazingly light for a beer this sweet, and despite all the bubbles in it, I thought the carbonation level was on the low side.

Probably a good accompaniment to any fruit pie, but I enjoyed it all by itself as well. I'll be back for more of this.

Chapeau Faro Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch