Chapeau Faro Lambic | Brouwerij De Troch

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002

Reviews: 79 | Ratings: 110
3.47/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 350 ml bottle into a fluted glass. This pours a brownish color with a small fizzy extremely short lived off white head (only a few seconds, perhaps the shortest lived I've ever seen). It smells of vinegar, funk and a little sugar malts. The feel is thinish. The taste is okay, you get some funk, sour notes, vinegar with a load of sugar to combat everything but way too sweet.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

Nose is sour and peculiar... kind of like a bag of flavored chips, or an unusual potato salad, or maybe an Asian chicken dish (think Middle Eastern). Good dose of vinegar (probably what reminded me of the above foods). Smells like it has a good bit of sweetness. Smells good, in a weird way.

Pours a cola brown color with yellowish highlights, nice creamy head with moderate retention. Looks good.

Flavor is not nearly as sour or funky as the nose. It's lightly funky, lightly sour, and moderately sweet. Mmm, it's good. Nice balance. There's some malt behind the sweetness, but not a lot. Spotlight is definitely on the yeastiness. Overall flavor magnitude is similar to a soda (not loud and boisterous like some Lambics I've tried). It's rather soft and delicate, especially the sweetness. Mild chocolate and nut notes. Full bodied with soft carbonation. Finishes fairly clean, a little on the sweet side with a soft mouthcoating. Tastes good.

3.91/5  rDev +16.4%

Well, here it is. My first faro. Cork was a real bitch to extract - I actually had to get out my rarely-used expensive rabbit-style corkscrew and put it to work.

A - Poured into a champagne flute. Looks similar to a Flanders red, a little more brown than red. Good head and retention, and actually some decent lacing evident.

S - Mostly apple, like a really ripe Granny Smith. Apple, cherry and a little wood, again, not unlike a Flanders red. I suppose that since there's a barrel on the bottle's label, some oaking is not out of the question here.

T - Sweet apples with an underlying lactic tartness. Definitely very sweet and cider-y, with some of that woodiness. Last pour nearest to the dregs unleashes a bit more acidity and some interesting old shoe-funk notes.

F - It's highly carbonated and burpy, but I expected that. It's light-bodied enough to be able to carry it.

D - Well, I enjoyed it, but if you don't like a sweet beer, you probably won't. All in all, I don't find this too substantively different from a sweeter Flanders Red; it's like a less-vinegary Duchesse. Very easy to drink, again, if you don't mind a sweeter beer. At 4.5%, you could drink it until your sweet tooth gave out.

3.79/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks to IBUnit63 for this one.

Poured a 33cl bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a raisin brown with almost no head even with a very vigorous pour, and since no head can be disturbed no lacing occurred either. The strange thing is if you swirl the glass, a nice ring of small bubbles breaks the surface of the beer but it never forms a head. The aroma is so tart that it makes the back of your jaw sting. This has a really nice sour/tart/funky aroma with green apples, grape skins and almost a dry merlot aroma. The flavor is the strangest flavor dichotomy I have ever tasted in a beer. It starts out with a green apple/grape skin sourness and then completely melts into a big, raisin sweetness that reminds me quite intensely of the flavor of a quad. It's really strange. I would really like to know how they come about with such a strange flavor profile. The mouthfeel is light and syrupy, with not much carbonation. Reminds me a bit of the mouthfeel of a Kvass. I think that this would be a nice beer to enjoy every 6 months or so but I don't even think that I could even drink one of these every week. This would fall more into the oddity column then the regular column.

3.14/5  rDev -6.5%

Bought a bottle of this from Grapevine Travelers in my home town. This will be my first time trying an example of this Belgian beer. Cork came off without much of a pop, and poured a nice looking burgundy, with a ring of white lace. Red wine vinegar is the first thing that comes to mind in the nose, followed cherries and raspberries. Taste is exceedingly sweet, with a tiny bit of funky sourness. Again, raspberries and cherries come to mind in the taste. Mouthfeel is light, crisp and refreshing. Drinkability is pretty good, although some might be a little turned off by the sweetness factor. I enjoyed this brew. It almost reminded me of a Flanders Red Ale, and also showed some Oud Bruin character. Glad I had the chance to try a Faro, and will hopefully try a few more in the future. Cheers

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

Originally reviewed November 23, 2006. 33cL Bottle. Yeast muddle orange and amber, plum fringed, with a rim of white. light aroma of rotting white grapes, with a meaty squeek. Faint lambic edges of oak and sour lactic. Lightly revolting. Sickly sweet white grape candy and some rotting citrus in teh bottom of the fridge dorr. Some dripping honeyish notes, lots of ogrape skins. Far away a grassy wash of lost hop memories. Light efferevesce, but overall destructively sweet and nasty.

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

Served in a wine glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for letting me share in this since I had no desire to buy it on my own.

This beer pours a deep orangish amber hue with no head. The smell is of oak, rum raisin, bit of vinegar and cheddar cheese for some reason. The taste is a bit of white grape, some oak flavor, and raisin (without the rum). The taste isn't foul, but it's kinda weak in my opinion. Has a nice light champagne feel to the palate and is pretty easy to drink. Not bad for something that I thought I wouldn't like. Though overall it by style is still more wine like than beer.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

$5 bottle with a pop cap and cork too....
A: Pours a transparent brown color with a tiny tiny head that dissipates immediately

S: Overripe/almost rotting fruit (in a good way), champagne, raisin, fig, dates. Pretty much an overall apple cider vinegar nose

T: Whoa, extremely sweet. Lots and lots of fruits, overripe and dark. Lots of champagne yeast notes, and very very vinous in general. Also tart fruit

MF/D: smooth feel to it, low carbonation, and anything but dry.

Notes: Possibly the most unique beer I've had to date

3.97/5  rDev +18.2%

25 cl bottle purchased around Christmas in Bruges or Antwerp, can't remember. The beer poured a dense, brown body with a slight tan head. The nose was a bit acidic/vinegary but also a bit sweet on the nose. The taste is sweet up front but also is rounded out nicely by the acidic taste. Not as sweet as other faros that I have had. Very good.

1.29/5  rDev -61.6%

Bottle from a place void of joy. Poured into a slender-ish Rare Vos glass.

Soft, brittle inch of white foam. Color & clarity of Lipton iced tea.

Smells of vinegar & caramel aged in a bucket made of wood.

Tastes of cider vinegar spiked with loads of white table sugar. Cream soda, Sweet Tarts, lime, & popsicle sticks.

The texture of carbonated syrup. Sort of like a Shirley Temple.

I have such a headache.

3.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Pristine amber with a purplish hue, and no head, save for a bubbly white ring around the perimeter. Very little lacing.
Smell is cocoa-infused malts, with some tart and sour aromas. Notes of fig and toffee.
Taste is sweet, syrupy malts, with some tart and sour notes. Little bit of acidity towards the finish. More fig and raisin, as well as some faint hints of kiwi. Some oaky notes on the finish.
Mouthfeel is flat and oily, with a sticky finish. Light-to-medium body.
Drinability is good. Seems to be meant to be sipped, and as that, it drinks well.

3.74/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours out the haziest brown color I've seen. Almost some ruby highlights in there, but its almost too hazy to let any light through. The head was thin from the start, off-white colored, leaving no lacing. This is my first in the style, and I imagine it could be better, I mean, I've seen plenty of lambics that look clearer (still hazy of course, but they let light through) and nicer. Looks kind of like an actively fermenting beer (without the krausen). The smell is wonderful. Reminds me of the best lambics and sours I've smelled. A bit fruity and sugary, with a huge sour smell. Not too acidic in the nose, a bit vinegar, kind of powdery. Reminds me a bit of sour candy, but smells light and crisp. The taste is really great. There's immediately the flavor of apple cider, which this kind of looks like. Then comes the sour, there's a delightful tartness playing with the sweetness, but I keep coming back to apples. Kind of one-dimensional, which makes it a bit less interesting to drink, but I'm a fan of the sour. I could see this being a beer you drink for an extended session, but I can imagine that the sweetness would get cloying after a while. Just a bit more sour/tart and a bit of lightness would actually help. The carbonation is lightly present, nice, and the wild yeasts keep this one nice and full (the sweetness helps too). Easy to drink, I mean, it pours down like a NA drink, but the sweetness will probably hurt it in the long run.

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%

12.7 oz. bottle into a red wine glass.

pours a muddy medium brown that shows amber against the light. quarter-inch of off-white head that leaves little lace.

sweet, sugary apples dominate the aroma. hints of sour lemon, sweet cola, and burnt sugar round it out.

intensely sweet at the start, like a concentrated apple cider. sugar, burnt sugar, apples, and more sugar give way to a slightly woody, oaky, balsamic finish. has a fairly light feel but the sweetness becomes a bit overbearing. a little more balance would go a long way, but this is a not unpleasant drink for dessert.

2.36/5  rDev -29.8%

Tasted from bottle purchased at Binny's Lincoln Park. Pours a muddy brown-orange with an average white head that recedes to decent lace. Nose of nutty brown sugar with some funk and a smell similar to rye bread. Flavor is caramel with some toastiness, light funk, moderate sour flavors, and nuttiness. Body is medium with average carbonation and a short sour and nutty finish.

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours from the capped, corked 12.7 oz bottle a deep, bruised purple with a bit of head quickly boiling away. Smell is of cider vinegar and overripe produce-- apple, pear, tomato. Reminds me a lot of a Flanders red ale up to this point, but the acidic nose didn't prepare me for the flavor to come.

First sip holds a sweetness that almost makes my teeth ache. Loads of sugary apple and fruit flavor, almost like cider or applesauce. A bit of vinegar makes my mouth pucker a bit and makes the flavor a touch more interesting. Mouthfeel is fairly rich and thick, but the sweetness makes the finish a little anticlimactic-- again, much like cider. The tasty mix of sweet and sour made the beer easy to drink, though drinkability is hampered by its sheer sweetness.

I didn't find Chapeau Faro to be terribly complex, but what I did find, a very sweet, interesting beer, was enjoyable nonetheless.

4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

Had it at the Amsterdam Bar in Dallas.

Poured into a lambic style, skinny fluted glass. Nice and dark in color, no head on a gentle pour. Smell was complex with earthy notes. Some fruit undertones under the heavier noise (of the earth I was getting), with a sharp, maybe vinegar/acid, smell that was really pleasant. Taste was a nice sweet blend that I was expecting with the style. Finished quick, easy drink ability. Very palette able.

4.45/5  rDev +32.4%

Wow! This one was a surprise! This is my first Faro so take that into consideration on the review. I had this one out of a corked and capped bottle about the size of a "standard" 16-oz beer. The name and company are correct but it had a different label than posted here. I poured it into a Lindeman's lambic glass. It is a straw-golden color with a good rocky white head that fades at a moderately slow pace. Lots of carbonation rising up the glass. There is pronounced sediment in this lambic, which isn't a turn-off to me. The smell is a musty, spicy, and sweet but light not cloying. The taste was the surprise. Sort of like a lightly sweet and highly carbonated ginger ale. It really gives me a pleasant feeling. It reminds me a bit of the Deus de Flanders but not quite as complex. The sediment was even tasty. The mouthfeel is very fizzy and medium. If it were not so expensive I'd drink this regularly.

2.68/5  rDev -20.2%

bottle courtesy of bulletrain76

S: Minty, cilantro, sugar, tea, possibly vegetal

A: Brown/orange w/chunks, minimal carb

T: Loads of table sugar w/medicinal and herbal qualities. Maybe bamboo shoots or sugar cane.

M: Thin and sugary, like a thin liqueur

D: Too damn sweet

Overall: Very different. Never had this style before so can't bash it too bad. Too sweet and sugary for my tastes. Also some very strange tastes and smells. Really had to reach into my memories to figure these out.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle thanks to mmm///beer. My first Faro! Pours a ruby hue with a medium off-white head. The aroma is quite nice; tons of, I guess you would call this fruity notes, somewhat woody and sour. Very pungent for sure. The flavor is also nice; sweet sugary fruity flavors combined with a woody sourness. Some sweet brown sugar and lots of woody flavor. Very odd, a tart cherry/ unripe fruit flavor but also lots of sweetness. A light creamy mouthfeel. Very interesting and nice. Easygoing and yet it made an impact on me.

3.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Bottle into Perfect Pint.

A: Not much of an off white head, dissipates immediately with very little lacing. Otherwise, a slightly hazy brandy body with plenty of medium-flocculating dark brown floaties.

S: Very cidery...mostly acetic, not lactic, acid. Sweet, some wild yeast characteristics--horse blanket, funk, the usual. Pretty good nose.

T: A bit too sweet, and very much apple-flavored. There's a touch of barnyard, but not much. Overall, alright--what I expected.

M: This would be nice with some more carbonation...it's on the low end. The body is a bit thin, almost watery.

D: To me, faro is the stepping stone between fruity lambics and the good stuff. I think this falls into that category, but just barely. It's sweet, but not overwhelmingly saccharine, and the tartness helps that.

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a murky brown but when held up to the light reveals a deep ruby tone. Faint creamy head with mild lacing. Smell is a bit funky with vinegar tones and a little bit of sugar. I'm new to this style but so far so good.

Taste is fairly rich and balanced between the vinegar and sugar. Kind of apple-y but more in the tart red variety. Wheat malt is prevalent and aids in the creamy mouthfeel. Prickly carbonation keeps this one moving. A little cloying at times, but overall this is a solid and interesting beer.

2.11/5  rDev -37.2%

This is my first Faro. I was pretty excited for this.

Brown color with minimal head and very little carbination.

Nothing to the smell. Very bland and oderless.

Way way to sweet. It tasted more like a sweet soda than a beer. It reminded me of a flat gaurana soda.

This was a drain pour. The first one in a while. I could not even finish the glass. Not reccomended at all.

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into a small goblet.

A: deep mahogany body, much more color than I expected, surprisngly opaque. little splotchy white head though i dont expect much from the style.

S: big sugary sweetness, some bbq musk, metal

T/M: big wave of sugar, kinda sticky. lots of fruit and candied fruit. reminiscent of a jolly rancher or lollipop. the metallic quality flashes mid palate, reminds me very much of a young flemish red. that iron quality is not something im used to in lambics. finishes sweet.

D: a nice warm weather palate starter kinda beer. i could see this being a great way to start a long evening of food and drinks. the sugar content inhibits much volumne but in the right context a cool beer.

overall only the second faro ive ever had so im far from an expert. this one was enjoyable but simple. to wet my appetite however, a nice beer.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

375ml corked bottle. Just arrived at my store today and since beers like this tend to get polarized reviews, I thought it best if I sample it myself so I can give my Beer Club a straight review. Poured into a small wine goblet glass, as it's all I have on hand at work.

AP: Colour looks like if you liquefied and diluted a Gingersnap cookie. Head was only 1/4", but it's a small glass. Slight lacing on the sides.
AR: Raisin, brown sugar, candi sugar, funky Belgian yeast, a bit of cider. There's also a doughy bready aspect as well. Doesn't smell like it will be that sweet.
T: This is nicely balanced. Not too sweet nor too tart/sour. First taste is tart apple with some pear behind it. A slight cider (to me it's definitely more cider like than vinegar) nuance lingers throughout. The brown and candi sugars are subtle and seem to serve more to balance the sour. A taste of raisin bread comes into play. The finish is cidery and clean. I rather like this.
M: Crisp and clean on the palate like a decent Sour/Lambic should be. A bit creamy in mid palate and the finish is slightly dry and cleansing.
OV: This is the second Faro Lambic (Lindemans being the other) I've had and I've enjoyed them both. This is well balanced between the sweet and sour, the flavours blend well together though none of them are bold. This is a good sipping beer. Like I said, beers like this tend to be polarizing and I'm glad to be on the side that can appreciate this beer.

2.62/5  rDev -22%

12.7 fl oz bottle for trade with lb4lb: (Thanks Deniz!) My first faro. The ever elusive faro. I thought it would take me forever to get one of these. Well, it did but lb4lb got me one. Now to the review. Aroma has a very tart sugary aroma to it at first. With some subtle malts, cherries, and sour candy. Pours a dark amber with a medium sized tan head that lingers around for a while. Taste is a lot of sugar that comes right up to and smacks you in the face. Wow! Still tastes like sour candy and some lemon mixed in there as well. On the back end a little bit of roastiness, I have to agree with the reviewer below me. It's like a mouth full of table sugar. If this is indicative of all faro's then I'm not going to go out of my way to get them. Overall, Way too sweet. Glad the lb4lb got it to me, but i guess it's just not my style.

Chapeau Faro Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch