Chapeau Faro Lambic | Brouwerij De Troch

detroch.be

Style: Faro

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002

3.74/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have fond memories of finding this beer on-draught, a sunny lunchtime at 't Oud Arsenaal in Antwerp. It's proved a tough style to track down since, but JDV was able to help a few months back. Feeling like a lambic tonight, so into a stange this pours from its 12.7 oz. green bottle.

A: An uncapping then a cork extracted with a loud *POP*, pours a chestnut/amber. Fizzy head climbs to about a finger-high, dropping quickly. A fair amount of carbonation rising, refreshing a patch of film and clinging ring of white cream. Complexion is slightly hazy, with a deeper cloudiness towards the top and more clarity at the bottom.

S: Unique aroma: sweetly woody, musty without a defined tart 'funkiness', sugared malt vinegar?

T: A cola-like caramel sweetness and an aftertaste of maraschino cherries. Then there's a hint of lemon-lime tartness. Fleeting woody/vinegar qualities, a sweet-tart apple. Just a little mineral/dry finishing, despite an undeniable sugariness. If I likened this to a Cherry Coke, a Sprite, and a tart cider splashed into a seltzer water, that wouldn't be far off.

M: Crisp feel, slightly fizzing carbonation. Feel is rather light. Finishing notes: a mild tang sits gently and squarely in the middle of the tongue, a powdery sweetness on the lips.

D: A bit tough to decipher at first, challenging to decide whether this is sweet or tart or something else. After a few sips, it really grew on me - refreshing, easy enough to drink and certainly curious. I'd have this again; it's too bad it's a style so hard to find. Big thanks, Deniz!

2.96/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from the bottle into my Zywiec stange. Pours a nice brown color, like most brown ales do. The smell is good, that of candied sugar and the slightest hint of horse blanket. The taste I wish I could say was better than it is. Kind of like an apple cider, but with a little bit of brett shining through in the finish, along with candied sugar. Not bad just wish it wasn't as sweet as it is. My first shot at the style, and think the artifical sweetness in the front taste may be typical to this brewery, for their banana lambic was cloyingly sweet in an artificial way when I had it a while back. The mouthfeel is stickier than a cider however, more like a soda. Not really a bad beer but not great either. The best part of the taste is the finish. It loses points drinkability wise because of the sweetness. I would like to try other examples of this style, however, I would rather have a nice gueze to drink instead.

3.74/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours out the haziest brown color I've seen. Almost some ruby highlights in there, but its almost too hazy to let any light through. The head was thin from the start, off-white colored, leaving no lacing. This is my first in the style, and I imagine it could be better, I mean, I've seen plenty of lambics that look clearer (still hazy of course, but they let light through) and nicer. Looks kind of like an actively fermenting beer (without the krausen). The smell is wonderful. Reminds me of the best lambics and sours I've smelled. A bit fruity and sugary, with a huge sour smell. Not too acidic in the nose, a bit vinegar, kind of powdery. Reminds me a bit of sour candy, but smells light and crisp. The taste is really great. There's immediately the flavor of apple cider, which this kind of looks like. Then comes the sour, there's a delightful tartness playing with the sweetness, but I keep coming back to apples. Kind of one-dimensional, which makes it a bit less interesting to drink, but I'm a fan of the sour. I could see this being a beer you drink for an extended session, but I can imagine that the sweetness would get cloying after a while. Just a bit more sour/tart and a bit of lightness would actually help. The carbonation is lightly present, nice, and the wild yeasts keep this one nice and full (the sweetness helps too). Easy to drink, I mean, it pours down like a NA drink, but the sweetness will probably hurt it in the long run.

3.87/5  rDev +15.5%

I really enjoyed this, and I had some initial doubts due to the strong vinegary nose right out of the bottle. Things quickly settled down. The beer pours a cloudy, well carbonated, murky brown with a smallish off white head, a touch of lacing, some head retention. The nose started out pretty questionable. I thought my bottle had gone bad. It got better once the beer had a chance to aerate. The taste was a real treat. This beer is a close cousin to a Belgian Flemish sour red style ale. The beer has that unique combination of sweet and sour tastes, a wooden perhaps slightly oaken aged tartness, and some very light sherry qualities. The beer is sweet, though, much sweeter than a Flemish Red ale. There are pear flavors, maybe some peach, maybe some other combinations of sweet dessert type fruits. This is an easy drinking beer, very fruity and sweet, with a nice character and loads of complexity. It was a real treat, just don't let the nose turn you off ... drink on.

4.35/5  rDev +29.9%

Thanks to armock for this!

12.7 corked capped bottle - have cork-screw ready!

Pours hazed brown with a thin light brown head that slowly descends to a patch. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of wood, vinegar-y sourness, green apple, and brown sugar.

The taste is of brown sugar - sweet, but with a green apple sourness. Some cherry-like tartness also enters in. It has a woody background.

Mildly effervescent, and very smooth. It is on the sweet side, though with a sour and woody balance, but not too sticky. A candy-ish treat. Moderate alcohol for a Belgian and with a nice taste, this is very drinkable!

2.71/5  rDev -19.1%

Courtesy of dkachur, split with him and a friend. My portion poured into a brandy snifter.

Appearance: A slightly hazy orange brown-bodied beer with a healthy head that fades quickly. Somehow, there's some erratic, avant-garde splatters of solid lacing and a thin collar of lace, though little sheen.

Aroma: Brown buttery, slightly fruity, and - yes mustard and mushrooms. Slightly salty in places. Very odd and completely unexpected.

Taste: Incredibly sweet, with tons of residual sugar. Proteus93 says it's sweet and sour-esque, and I'd agree - pineapple, brown sugar, and slight vinegar does seem to wrap it up nicely. Fortunately, the mushrooms have faded. Very strange, with a few buttery notes. Slight nondescript fruity notes, as well.

Mouthfeel: Thick, sticky, and cloying, with slight carbonation, but largely lifeless and dead.

Drinkability: Is this what a faro's like? I don't know. It's not terribly drinkable, but I can't say for sure if that's standard, as it's the only one I've ever had. Can't say I was a huge fan on the whole, though - the tastes and aromas were just too whack.

3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Bottle courtesy dkachur, which also helps knock a style out... greatly appreciated!

A: Rich amber, a slight bit of haze. Not the greatest head, but it's there for a little bit.

S: A very unusual aroma... almost mustardy, which is agreed upon around the table. An interesting earthiness.

T: The aroma does NOT hint at what I taste. Quite sweet, without the tartness of typical lambics. Almost a sweet and sour taste, without the big sour flavour. Pretty much just like it, really.. brown sugar, vinegar, pineapple.

M + D: A little bite of carbonation over a medium body. I quite enjoyed the flavour, myself, though I could see it as being a love/hate type of thing. I would perhaps be a little more satisfied with a bigger tartness. Not bad.

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

Nose is sour and peculiar... kind of like a bag of flavored chips, or an unusual potato salad, or maybe an Asian chicken dish (think Middle Eastern). Good dose of vinegar (probably what reminded me of the above foods). Smells like it has a good bit of sweetness. Smells good, in a weird way.

Pours a cola brown color with yellowish highlights, nice creamy head with moderate retention. Looks good.

Flavor is not nearly as sour or funky as the nose. It's lightly funky, lightly sour, and moderately sweet. Mmm, it's good. Nice balance. There's some malt behind the sweetness, but not a lot. Spotlight is definitely on the yeastiness. Overall flavor magnitude is similar to a soda (not loud and boisterous like some Lambics I've tried). It's rather soft and delicate, especially the sweetness. Mild chocolate and nut notes. Full bodied with soft carbonation. Finishes fairly clean, a little on the sweet side with a soft mouthcoating. Tastes good.

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%

Finally tracked down a faro. This one is a capped and corked 12.7oz bottle. Cork comes out with little sound. Pours into my glass a deep hazelnut color with hints of red and a quarter inch of off white foam atop. Carbonation seems mild. Aromas start with sour, somewhat funky woody tannins with cork and barrel accents. Sweet, almost fruity malt tones waft up as well. Dark sugar amidst some acidity. Intriguing if nothing else.

First sip is a rush of upfront sweetness that attacks the taste buds and honestly catches me off guard. Malty and fruity flavors flow down and play into the sourness that lurks in the background of the beer. Wood tannins and barrel accents float throughout. A touch of caramel and the lingering thought of a musty basement that comes to mind. An interesting, sweetened up lambic, that just ends up being too sweet for my personal tastes.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a smooth almost slick quality to it and mellow carbonation. It goes down easily enough. However, I personally am not a fan of the overbearing sweetness that pervades this brew. I need to try more Faro's before writing off the style, however of this one I can say I am not a fan overall.

Reviewed on 8/17/08. Bottle. My first faro! Pours a deep brown with a small light tan head. Aroma of sweet sugar, sourness similar to that of a Flanders sour. Flavor is quite sweet and even sweeter and tart with the finish with some sweettarts candy. Reminds me of Rodenbach Grand Cru (although perhaps a bit sweeter). I don't know if this is representative of other faros, but I liked it!
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

Thanks goes out to armock for this brew.

Pours a nice hazy golden reddish amber color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, with does leave some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, slight yeast, some raspberries/strawberries/cherries. The taste is malty, slight yeast, sweet, with just a little bit of sourness. Medium body. Drinkable, I really like this one, thanks Anthony.

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first Faro, so I'm not sure how sweet they typically are, but this one was a little sweet for me.

A: Hazy amber-brown, light tan head, some retention, excellent lacing & leg.

S: Cider, leather, sour cherry, cotton-candy-like fruity sweetness & hints of earthy funk.

T: Quite sweet, light funk, cider, nice spicing from the yeast, slight hint of vinegar, very little bitterness (so the added sweetness makes it a little cloying).

M: Smooth, but a little syrupy; moderate carbonation; good acidity.

D: Very approachable, but a little sweet for my taste.

Big thanks to stumac for trading this rare style!

3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

This is a strange goose - thanks to Derek for giving me the opportunity to try this rare style.

Amber body with a generous off-white head which left big globs of sticky lace on the side of the glass. Funky aroma of leather and cider reminds me a little of a saison. The first thing that hits you is that this is a damn sweet beer, and it is - the residual sugars must be through the roof. Its nicely alleviated by a tart sourness that comes through in the finish. In between all manner of cider flavours abound, with some green apple, sour cherry and cranberry. The body is sticky, but medium - a slightly puckering sipper.

This is somewhat hard to judge because its the first time I've ever come across a faro, and I have no idea whether this is true to the style. I can say that I found it to be a very interesting and unique beer. The high sugar content would prevent me from finishing a bottle of this, and for that reason I doubt I would have it again. However, the flavours were very interesting, and the weird funkiness was quite unique. I'm glad I had the experience, and it really opens your eyes to how much variation there is in the world of beer.

3.79/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to IBUnit63 for this one.

Poured a 33cl bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a raisin brown with almost no head even with a very vigorous pour, and since no head can be disturbed no lacing occurred either. The strange thing is if you swirl the glass, a nice ring of small bubbles breaks the surface of the beer but it never forms a head. The aroma is so tart that it makes the back of your jaw sting. This has a really nice sour/tart/funky aroma with green apples, grape skins and almost a dry merlot aroma. The flavor is the strangest flavor dichotomy I have ever tasted in a beer. It starts out with a green apple/grape skin sourness and then completely melts into a big, raisin sweetness that reminds me quite intensely of the flavor of a quad. It's really strange. I would really like to know how they come about with such a strange flavor profile. The mouthfeel is light and syrupy, with not much carbonation. Reminds me a bit of the mouthfeel of a Kvass. I think that this would be a nice beer to enjoy every 6 months or so but I don't even think that I could even drink one of these every week. This would fall more into the oddity column then the regular column.

3.45/5  rDev +3%

12.7 oz. bottle into a red wine glass.

pours a muddy medium brown that shows amber against the light. quarter-inch of off-white head that leaves little lace.

sweet, sugary apples dominate the aroma. hints of sour lemon, sweet cola, and burnt sugar round it out.

intensely sweet at the start, like a concentrated apple cider. sugar, burnt sugar, apples, and more sugar give way to a slightly woody, oaky, balsamic finish. has a fairly light feel but the sweetness becomes a bit overbearing. a little more balance would go a long way, but this is a not unpleasant drink for dessert.

3.65/5  rDev +9%

Bottle thanks to mmm///beer. My first Faro! Pours a ruby hue with a medium off-white head. The aroma is quite nice; tons of, I guess you would call this fruity notes, somewhat woody and sour. Very pungent for sure. The flavor is also nice; sweet sugary fruity flavors combined with a woody sourness. Some sweet brown sugar and lots of woody flavor. Very odd, a tart cherry/ unripe fruit flavor but also lots of sweetness. A light creamy mouthfeel. Very interesting and nice. Easygoing and yet it made an impact on me.

3.06/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tawny brown liquid. Fizzy sizzle when poured, that settles to a skim fairly quickly. No visible carbonation, which is a little strange. Very uniform color, looks like sun tea.

Saccharin aroma, artificial sweetness, very vague mustiness, probably from the cork. Bland...

Very light and sweet tartness with the first big sip. Nutty, a little bit of undetermined fruit. Low carbonation. Light cardboard in the aftertaste, but it's not a deal breaker. This has been around the area only a few months, so I don't think it's an old bottle. It's actually pretty similar to the Kvass I had a few weeks ago. Very sweet, barely tart, light bodied.

Ehh, give me a real lambic anyday. This just tastes like a sweet soda drink, and at $7 I won't be going back to it.

3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

So, this is a Faro, huh? Let's pour this capped and corked deal into an Ommegang chalice. Cork is about 90% moist, but not at the very top, so we may still be in bidness...

Deep, dark, bourbon color with wisps of head on top that actually look and twist like a hurricane pattern on a 1970s satellite weather photo. Minimal carbonation otherwise. Lacing looks like a bathtub ring.

Slight horse blanket feel with candied sweetness and a mild acetic acid tinge. This all combines with very thick yeast and malt to prep for an interesting yet slightly disconcerting package.

Intriguing is more like it - sweet cinnamon, ginger, maybe some coriander and heavy yeast quotient - slight brett funk (?) and horse blanket tone. Definitely a mild vinegar sourness. Almost a sarsparilla and spiced apple feel - wait a minute...that's candied ginger.

Pleasant, soothing mouthfeel. Rustic, oaky sweetness with enough sour/bitter pucker to cut the weight nicely. Slight vinegar aftertaste.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts on this one. Each element of this offering may not be spectacular but it makes for an enjoyable effort to savor.

A - Poured a hazy brownish color with an off white head hat leaves lacing

S - Is of sweet apples thats about it

T - Interesting flavors come out its sweet then sour with fruit flavors

M - This beer has a full body whit high carbonation to it

D - This is a pretty tasty beer while its not one that I could really have more than one in a sitting its a good beer thats worth trying

3.91/5  rDev +16.7%

Well, here it is. My first faro. Cork was a real bitch to extract - I actually had to get out my rarely-used expensive rabbit-style corkscrew and put it to work.

A - Poured into a champagne flute. Looks similar to a Flanders red, a little more brown than red. Good head and retention, and actually some decent lacing evident.

S - Mostly apple, like a really ripe Granny Smith. Apple, cherry and a little wood, again, not unlike a Flanders red. I suppose that since there's a barrel on the bottle's label, some oaking is not out of the question here.

T - Sweet apples with an underlying lactic tartness. Definitely very sweet and cider-y, with some of that woodiness. Last pour nearest to the dregs unleashes a bit more acidity and some interesting old shoe-funk notes.

F - It's highly carbonated and burpy, but I expected that. It's light-bodied enough to be able to carry it.

D - Well, I enjoyed it, but if you don't like a sweet beer, you probably won't. All in all, I don't find this too substantively different from a sweeter Flanders Red; it's like a less-vinegary Duchesse. Very easy to drink, again, if you don't mind a sweeter beer. At 4.5%, you could drink it until your sweet tooth gave out.

2.11/5  rDev -37%

This is my first Faro. I was pretty excited for this.

Brown color with minimal head and very little carbination.

Nothing to the smell. Very bland and oderless.

Way way to sweet. It tasted more like a sweet soda than a beer. It reminded me of a flat gaurana soda.

This was a drain pour. The first one in a while. I could not even finish the glass. Not reccomended at all.

3.14/5  rDev -6.3%

Bought a bottle of this from Grapevine Travelers in my home town. This will be my first time trying an example of this Belgian beer. Cork came off without much of a pop, and poured a nice looking burgundy, with a ring of white lace. Red wine vinegar is the first thing that comes to mind in the nose, followed cherries and raspberries. Taste is exceedingly sweet, with a tiny bit of funky sourness. Again, raspberries and cherries come to mind in the taste. Mouthfeel is light, crisp and refreshing. Drinkability is pretty good, although some might be a little turned off by the sweetness factor. I enjoyed this brew. It almost reminded me of a Flanders Red Ale, and also showed some Oud Bruin character. Glad I had the chance to try a Faro, and will hopefully try a few more in the future. Cheers

2.62/5  rDev -21.8%

12.7 fl oz bottle for trade with lb4lb: (Thanks Deniz!) My first faro. The ever elusive faro. I thought it would take me forever to get one of these. Well, it did but lb4lb got me one. Now to the review. Aroma has a very tart sugary aroma to it at first. With some subtle malts, cherries, and sour candy. Pours a dark amber with a medium sized tan head that lingers around for a while. Taste is a lot of sugar that comes right up to and smacks you in the face. Wow! Still tastes like sour candy and some lemon mixed in there as well. On the back end a little bit of roastiness, I have to agree with the reviewer below me. It's like a mouth full of table sugar. If this is indicative of all faro's then I'm not going to go out of my way to get them. Overall, Way too sweet. Glad the lb4lb got it to me, but i guess it's just not my style.

2.78/5  rDev -17%

Pours out a muddy, murky looking brown. Weird. Not much of a head and just a touch of lace. Smells really worty and of big dark, fruits. Kind of has a vitamin-y smell to it. Some balsamic vinegar and citric acid as well. Taste is really sweet up front with some balsamic and woodiness making its way into the middle. Don't really pick up much coriander, if any. Has a dried fruit thing going on. Nice balancing acidity in the finish, but it isn't enough to fully counter-balance the huge sweetness. Mouthfeel is kind of light and spritzy but with a definite syrupyness. Kind of sticks to the tongue. Drinkability is ok. Just too sweet for me.

THX 2 hamburgah for the sample.

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Looks brown sugar and cinnamon powder juice. Very faint headthat slowly recedes to nothing after a coupe of sips. NOt to mention the very tiny bubbles in th beer. The aroma is a funky sweet brown sugar and medium toasted grains. The taste is like a fruitless fruit lambic. Youe get all the swetness, just none of the real distinct fruit flavors. You get lots of candi sugar and brown sugar withcurrant like tartness. Not a bad after dinner beer. Lots of dark toasted malty goodness.

Chapeau Faro Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch